Os X 10.6.5 Update

nikster

I installed the 10.6.5 update on my MacBook Pro twice - first as incremental update downloaded via Software Update; later, as Combo Update (nearly 1GB!).

Both methods caused my MacBook Pro 17" (early 2009) to fail to wake from sleep - instead of waking up the machine would crash with the screen still black. As I found out when leaving it running overnight, the same issue also happens without sleep, but takes a few hours.

I found a few reports online with people having the same problem - most of them with 2009 MacBook Pros as far as I can tell.

Anybody else upgraded? Is it all working?

I have since downgraded back to 10.6.4 and found out that in order to use a TimeMachine backup, one has to have the original install DVD with them. Since mine is somewhere far away I downloaded one from thepiratebay. I have one, obviously, as it's impossible to buy a MBP without. But I've never needed it in the last 2 years so it's not something I carry with me at all times... a bit of a flaw in TM, the next external disk I use will get an OS X Install partition.... it's very easy to do, create 8GB partition, then use Disk Utility to "restore" the original OS X install DVD to the new partition. Then you can boot from the TimeMachine drive and restore from backup like that.

Edit: There are two ways to downgrade an OS X upgrade - one is to restore from a TimeMachine backup. The other is by installing the original OS X 10.6 over the bad install, then apply the last working update. So what I did - because my TimeMachine backup was 3 days old and I didn't want to lose anything - is I installed from a fresh OS X 10.6 install USB stick; then, I applied the 10.6.4 update. Then I was back where I was, with no data lost.

Edited by nikster

I tried to get the combo, but twice the file arrived corrupt, so I used Software Update.

No problems on the MB.

Now, the iMac - maybe it was the upgrade, and maybe it wasn't or it was something else, or nothing.

But a short time after I did the upgrade and had been doing a bit of work on the iMac, the keyboard froze up on me. No commands, no typing, even the mouse froze. I changed the USB slot on the back, and it worked for a minute or so, and then that froze, too. Changing back and forth did nothing.

I checked the keyboard and mouse on the MB and they worked fine.

Rebooted the iMac (I'd been hesitant to do that, as I lost a long term Toast project and had to start that over again) and this resolved the keyboard issue.

I have no idea what caused it, and can't point the finger at the upgrade, but ......

All's working fine now, so fingers crossed.

I vaguely think I remember reading on Mac forums something about MB Pro difficulties, but not sure.

I gave up on TM quite a long time ago. I really prefer Carbon Copy Cloner. Freeware, too. I can schedule backups or do them whenever I want, make a perfect copy of my iMac drive and boot from it, even select specific folders I don't want to bother backing up.

I have applied the 10.6.5 update via Software Update on both my iMac and Macbook Pro and absolutely no problem.

@ nikster, if I can suggest, you should clone your system regularly or at least before any important update. If anything wrong happen you will then be able to restore OSX to the previous state in a couple of minutes. You can even boot on the clone disk in case of a hard drive failure.

I use Super Duper (free without advanced features) but there is also Carbon Copy Cloner (free). As I always say: backup AND clone before it's to late. wink.gif

Edited by Nawak

I have applied the 10.6.5 update via Software Update on both my iMac and Macbook Pro and absolutely no problem.

@ nikster, if I can suggest, you should clone your system regularly or at least before any important update. If anything wrong happen you will then be able to restore OSX to the previous state in a couple of minutes. You can even boot on the clone disk in case of a hard drive failure.

I always back up. Never had problems with previous OS updates so this time I was feeling adventurous and updated even though my last backup was 3 days old. I was in the country and didn't have my backup disk with me. Bad idea!

I dislike cloning, it just takes too long. I have a bootable HD which did come in handy this time but keeping it up to date - nah. Next time I will most definitely to a TimeMachine backup before updating, and I will have the Mac OS X install boot USB stick by the ready should anything go wrong. And I will probably use the combo update, that's always served me well in the past.

I dislike cloning, it just takes too long.

I have no idea how much time my cloning took this morning. I have it scheduled to begin at 5:30 a.m. and I'm nowhere near my iMac at that time blink.gif

Carbon Copy Cloner just opens itself and runs. I later climb out of bed and note that I've got a perfect copy of my iMac drive on my external.

I dislike cloning, it just takes too long.

I have no idea how much time my cloning took this morning. I have it scheduled to begin at 5:30 a.m. and I'm nowhere near my iMac at that time blink.gif

Carbon Copy Cloner just opens itself and runs. I later climb out of bed and note that I've got a perfect copy of my iMac drive on my external.

For a desktop, I'd totally do it. For a laptop, TM is better. Plug in when I get home, done. Different uses... with a laptop you'd have to remember to plug it in, plug the HD in, keep it on during the night rather than sleeping etc. Not worth it when there's TimeMachine.

TM also keeps different versions of your system. Imagine I upgrade to 10.6.5 and only develop problems the next day - what then? My clone is then also at 10.6.5 already. Relevant here as 10.6.5 seemed fine until I put the system to sleep. You don't need versioning very often but when you do, it saves huge amounts of time and hassle.

Using TM all the time for Desktop and laptops.

Laptops -> Time Capsule

Desktop 8TB -> Firewire 800 Drobo drive.

Been a life saver on a couple of occasions so far - really is a decent product for backups.

I used to use Superduper clones as above but no regrets ditching it for TM.

In my office we've updated (using the combo update) 5 iMacs, 3 MacBook Pros, a MacMini and 1 Mac Pro all without any issues or problems now for more than a week. However like another user the combo update package was corrupted the first time we downloaded it and we had to download it twice to get a usable one.

I had no problem with my update (macbook Pro 17" 2010) but an older problem that it didn't went to sleep.

The solution was to delete the Parameter-RAM. You have to restart your Mac while holding the CMD, ALT, P and R keys simultaneous until a second and louder start-up sound appears.

Sometimes a restart in the safe-mode (Shift key) or de-installing/de-activating all the start-up stuff.

Hoping it helps!

Nikster, Try disconnecting all of your USB devices (including any hugs you have installed) to see if you still have the problem. GPS devices, Internet Sticks and the like might cause the problems you are describing.

I give up! The TV Edit Function is giving me a 1 character wide window for edits! I meant "hubs" not "hugs." Keep your hugs connected but try disconnecting your hubs.

TM also keeps different versions of your system. Imagine I upgrade to 10.6.5 and only develop problems the next day - what then? My clone is then also at 10.6.5 already. Relevant here as 10.6.5 seemed fine until I put the system to sleep. You don't need versioning very often but when you do, it saves huge amounts of time and hassle.

This looks like it might be important for me. Stopped by the iStudio in Pantip Plaza and chatted to one of the guys there about my frozen keyboard problem. He said it was clearly an OS issue.

First, I'll reapply the combo update and hope that solves it. If not, he recommends using TM and reformatting the iMac disc, then reinstalling and updating the operating system, then restoring from TM. The important thing here, as stated, is that a clone would simply transfer the original problem back. That versioning issue could end up being a critical loss of time and hassle for me.

If I need to do a TM process, I've got to get on the learning curve for it, use one of my external drives, do all the required stuff - including finding whatever the latest version of OS X might have been - have no idea if discs are around somewhere, or I'd have to download it from somewhere ......... Nope, pack everything up and take it to an iStudio. Good excuse for another trip into Bangkok.

This looks like it might be important for me. Stopped by the iStudio in Pantip Plaza and chatted to one of the guys there about my frozen keyboard problem. He said it was clearly an OS issue.

First, I'll reapply the combo update and hope that solves it. If not, he recommends using TM and reformatting the iMac disc, then reinstalling and updating the operating system, then restoring from TM. The important thing here, as stated, is that a clone would simply transfer the original problem back. That versioning issue could end up being a critical loss of time and hassle for me.

If I need to do a TM process, I've got to get on the learning curve for it, use one of my external drives, do all the required stuff - including finding whatever the latest version of OS X might have been - have no idea if discs are around somewhere, or I'd have to download it from somewhere ......... Nope, pack everything up and take it to an iStudio. Good excuse for another trip into Bangkok.

If you have a recent TM backup then yeah that's the way to go, though all you need to do is start from your original install disk, and choose restore from backup with your TM disk connected - should be pretty simple.

Otherwise you can also install the original Snow Leopard install over your current install, and then upgrade to 10.6.4.

I haven't seen any more reports on problems so I guess 10.6.5 is generally safe to use. I don't want to waste any more time futzing around with it so I will skip it and try again when10.6.6 comes out. Or 10.7, whichever is first.