Can You Get A Thai Drivers License With An Education Visa?

<SNIP> no ,,,,,, its a type O VISA <SNIP>

I hate to disagree. .. But the above info could be (and in all likelihood) IS erroneous. :o However my experience is ONLY in Metro-Bangkok..

FWIW: a visa which is type ED is considered by the thai 'powers that be' to be the same as a type 'O' = (OTHER reason for being here kinda visa), meaning it has the same 'status'.

I have taken MANY people who were on a '90 day extension of stay' based on education and gotten them a thai driver's license. It's out on soi 103/1 (or something like that :blink: ). FWIW: It's a ways past the On Nut Sky Train Station on the North side of Sukhumvit, and the sign is ONLY in thai.

Now it's been a month or more since I went there, but last time I had 5 people in tow and they all got a thai d/l. Some even got both a car and a moto-cy license at the same time, based on the endorsements from their country's licenses..

It is a painless IF somewhat time consuming procedure :blink: . Providing they hold a valid license from what ever country they come from it's quite easy really and NO driving or written testing is involved at all. You just do 4 cheesy tests; depth perception, color blindness, reaction time, and peripheral vision.

So far got them for people from; China, Singapore, Korea, Japan, US, UK, Ireland, India and an Auzzie too! I’ve never had a single problem getting one yet. ;) The caveat is; IF you have the correct paperwork, it's a walk in the park.

The first time you go they ONLY give a one year 'temporary' license but that is all they ever issue to anyone, even first time thais! Then you go back AFTER that year's finished to renew your license for another 5 years.

The good news is the 'new' thai driver's license is written in english AND thai so it works in other countries AND it looks like a "real driver's license too" as opposed to the 'old style' license which looks like you had it made at MBK or KhaoSan Road. ..

To the O/P: Go to my profile page and send me an email or a message via the forum. .. I'll clue you in. ..

Edited by tod-daniels

I got a drivers Iicence on an Ed Visa (went through the whoIe process, practicaI test etc, as did not have any Iicence).

To my knowIedge (when i did research into it), aII non-imm visa's are fine for obtaining a Iicence, no matter what area.