Thai Police Arrest Swedish Man For Tax Fraud Valued At Over 400 Million Baht

webfact

US citizens owe money on worldwide income. So if he were an American and earned a bunch of money in KPN he would owe the US government taxes on that.

No other country has the same law. If you work or earn outside of your homeland you don't owe taxes (except maybe to the country where the money was earned) - so long as your president isn't named Barack Hussein.

He must have been making a shit load of money if he has defrauded the Thai government of 400M baht. I thought farangs working overseas were required to pay tax in both countries so I guess he was defrauding the swedish government also.

WHAT????? Why should a guy working overseas pay tax to Sweden???? that is never heard of.

Glegolo

This is only Australia

This Ruling deals only with the question of residency for the purposes of Australia's income tax laws. However, the fact that a person is a resident of Australia for Australian income tax purposes does not mean that the person may not also be a resident of another country for the purposes of that country's taxation laws. A number of double taxation agreements to which Australia is a party recognise the possibility of a person being a resident of two countries, in other words, a person may have dual residency. Those agreements provide rules for determining the country of which the person is deemed to be a sole resident. Therefore, if a person is considered to be a resident of Australia as well as a resident of another country, regard must be had to the terms of the particular double taxation agreement in determining the person's residency status. A dual resident, who is treated as solely resident of another country for the purposes of the relevant double taxation agreement, remains a resident of Australia for the purposes of the Income Tax Assessment Act (compare paragraph 5 of Taxation Ruling IT 2607).

Pretty sure as an Australian citizen, if you are not residing in Australia, nor drawing an income from Australia, you have no tax to pay on your income being made from the country you are currently residing in.

Very good explaination. People should find out first what the rules are before moving to a other country. The rules are not difficult

If I were a Swede, I would evade taxes too. :rolleyes: I mean they haul by the truckloads Somalis and other camel drivers from Africa who cannot even read. It does not even matter are they real refugees or not, it is a big industry there. Their chances of being employed within next 20 years in Sweden is about zero unless it is related to the hauling industry mentioned. That is your multiculty paradise right there. Just like Denmark's Queen said, "Stockholm is a <deleted> Beirut" or at least the southern city Malmo is...

Spot on.

Sweden is committing a demographic and a financial suicide. All this whle the multiculturalism supporting ideologicial priests and their simple servants are pocketing profits and getting into heaven for their level of "tolerance".

He must have been making a shit load of money if he has defrauded the Thai government of 400M baht. I thought farangs working overseas were required to pay tax in both countries so I guess he was defrauding the swedish government also.

WHAT????? Why should a guy working overseas pay tax to Sweden???? that is never heard of.

Glegolo

This is only Australia

This Ruling deals only with the question of residency for the purposes of Australia's income tax laws. However, the fact that a person is a resident of Australia for Australian income tax purposes does not mean that the person may not also be a resident of another country for the purposes of that country's taxation laws. A number of double taxation agreements to which Australia is a party recognise the possibility of a person being a resident of two countries, in other words, a person may have dual residency. Those agreements provide rules for determining the country of which the person is deemed to be a sole resident. Therefore, if a person is considered to be a resident of Australia as well as a resident of another country, regard must be had to the terms of the particular double taxation agreement in determining the person's residency status. A dual resident, who is treated as solely resident of another country for the purposes of the relevant double taxation agreement, remains a resident of Australia for the purposes of the Income Tax Assessment Act (compare paragraph 5 of Taxation Ruling IT 2607).

Pretty sure as an Australian citizen, if you are not residing in Australia, nor drawing an income from Australia, you have no tax to pay on your income being made from the country you are currently residing in.

I believe the point was that dual residents have obligations to pay income tax to two countries.

Americans working abroad, must be abroad 18 months or more to avoid paying US income tax. As a US citizen, if I were to work for money, both the US and Thailand might expect me to pay taxes.

Americans working abroad, must be abroad 18 months or more to avoid paying US income tax. As a US citizen, if I were to work for money, both the US and Thailand might expect me to pay taxes.

you better check again, 18 month or even 10 years you still have to pay good old uncle sam if you are a US citizen, Only break you get is the first 83,500 USD that you make you dont have to pay on.

Farangs paying tax in both countries........that depends on the country and depends on several other things. US citizens YES on anything over $90K per year income. Canadian citizens NO if they meet certain standards about staying out of Canada and a few other items. I would venture to say NO in most cases if the person does not work in their home country nor spend anytime in their home country.

Farangs paying tax in both countries........that depends on the country and depends on several other things. US citizens YES on anything over $90K per year income. Canadian citizens NO if they meet certain standards about staying out of Canada and a few other items. I would venture to say NO in most cases if the person does not work in their home country nor spend anytime in their home country.

Every country has its own rules for demonstrating that you have a bona fide foreign residence. Most countries that I have heard of have either a double taxation treaty or allow foreign income tax credits, so you are not actually paying full income taxes to both countries in any event. The American system allows a US$91,400 foreign earned income exclusion if you qualify as residing overseas for one year. That exclusion comes off the top of your foreign earned income, before any deductions or exemptions, so you would actually have to earn a lot more than that to pay any significant amount of income tax.

And all this doesn't just apply to "farang". It applies to all citizens of a given country.

you better check again, 18 month or even 10 years you still have to pay good old uncle sam if you are a US citizen, Only break you get is the first 83,500 USD that you make you dont have to pay on.

This is correct, although I think the exemption is $90k. For this you must spend 330 days per year outside of the US. And it does not exempt you from all taxes - you still owe social security and other such taxes - you just avoid the federal income tax.

As with all matters tax related, consult a professional before believing what some strangers say on the interent.

This is correct, although I think the exemption is $90k. For this you must spend 330 days per year outside of the US. And it does not exempt you from all taxes - you still owe social security and other such taxes - you just avoid the federal income tax.

As with all matters tax related, consult a professional before believing what some strangers say on the interent.

Americans do not pay social security tax on foreign earned income, unless they are working for and paid directly by an American company.

Their foreign earned income exclusion is $91,400.

Amazing that someone would invest in a company called:

Gold Digger Co., Ltd

:blink::huh:

Are any of our Koh Phangan members familiar with this company on their island?

No the only other recent crooks identified in the Samui Courts was Cocos, another huge scam company from a Brit and a number of 'well placed' Thai's in uniforms. They also scammed millions.

Is this his Facebook page?

http://www.facebook....dgren/565587286

Would you buy a used car from this man?

Lol, but in that picture he's holding a Thai child.

Is that his kid?

Brings up many more questions in my mind and I'm pretty sure everyone knows what they are.

He was a good friend, a hard working man and a good single dad. He willing to lend a hand out to anyone that need help, Thai's or Farang. In his honor, it must be a big mistake that he did 10 years ago. Comeon' most Farangs living in Thailand are either hiding from the law, an ex-wife and their trouble pass lives.

Time for him to pick Berries for Thais......

Make that 2 professionals as sometimes one just might be splitting the extra money s/he says you owe with a government official! True story, BTW!

unrelated to the original post but the ensuing amount of income tax misinformation present here is staggering.

consult a competent professional prior to applying any of this information to your own circumstances or find yourself in a wesley snipes income tax nightmare.

This guy has done his crimes in Sweden for 8 years ago. He and his friends did order stuff, never ever paid for it and just sold it on and kept all money in their own pockets.

So Fraud were actual for them. His 2 friends were going to jail in Sweden, but this guy fled to thailand for 8 years ago and have now a family with wife and a kid.

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

UPDATE

Swedish Fraudster Faces Prison Sentence

med_gallery_327_1086_7126.jpg

Silver and his son from his Facebook wall.

The Swedish man, Carl-Fredrik Lundgren, 41, who was this week arrested in Thailand is now back in Sweden where he is facing a one or two year prison term for fraud which he and four other people committed together in Sweden eight years ago.

Mr. Lundgren - known as Silver among friends on Koh Pangan - has a five year old son, whom he raised alone. He is now being taken care of by Mr. Lundgren's parents thanks to one of Silver's friends from Koh Pangan who went up to Bangkok with him the day the arrest took place and ensured that he could travel with his Dad to Sweden.

The crime

The crime that Carl-frederik Lundgren and his four accomplices committed eight years ago in Sweden was, according to Radio Sweden in Jonkoping, to pretend that they represented a company and ordered various products in the name of this company. But any payment was never made, and the goods were sold onwards quickly, according to the news report.

In total, the men are estimated to have pocket nearly 2.4 million for the scam. When Mr. Lundgren was about to be arrested, he fled to Thailand.

When the news was released in Thailand earlier this week, Thai police said he was wanted for tax fraud case. ScandAsia's initial report quoted a Thai police colonel describing the case as "serious economic crimes involving more than 100 cases of fraud valued at over 400 milllion baht."

Different procedure

According to sources in Thailand, the charges against Mr. Lundgren were about to expire in Sweden and to ensure justice was served, the Swedish police revoked Mr Lundgren's passport and asked the Thai immigration police to help have him expelled based on this. Silver worked in the construction business on Koh Pangan and had all the proper visa and work permit he needed to stay in Thailand.

But according to Tommy Kangasvieri of the Central Bureau of Criminal Investigation in Sweden, this was not how it was done.

"We traced him there and then issued an internatrional warrant for his arrest. When the Thai police napped him they contacted us," Tommy Kangasvieri told Swedish Radio Jonkoping.

What ever the procedure, Mr. Lundgren was presented in the court in Jonkoping yesterday. Here, Carl-frederik Lundgren requested to be released while waiting for the trial to begin, but the judged decided against this and allowed the police to keep him in custody until the case is finished.

source: http://www.scandasia.com/viewNews.php?coun_code=se&news_id=7743

SCANDASIA.COM

-- 2010-11-20

footer_n.gif

Going by his Facebook photo

Carl Fredrik Lundgren, 41, has been arrested in Thailand

....that, of course, is presuming there's not two that match in exact name, approximate age, and exact location.

med_gallery_327_1086_7126.jpg

SCANDASIA.COM

-- 2010-11-20

I guess there aren't two Carl Fredrik Lundgrens within that age group within Thailand, afterall.

he's holding a Thai child.

Being able to determine nationality from a photo is an amazing talent.

Thanks, what I do is find out what country he is in or was in, look closely and put 2 and 2 together.

How about now that he's in Sweden?

He is now being taken care of by Mr. Lundgren's parents thanks to one of Silver's friends from Koh Pangan who went up to Bangkok with him the day the arrest took place and ensured that he could travel with his Dad to Sweden.

for fraud which he and four other people committed together in Sweden eight years ago.

When Mr. Lundgren was about to be arrested, he fled to Thailand.

Here, Carl-frederik Lundgren requested to be released while waiting for the trial to begin

requested to be released...hahahaha.... good one, Carl. :D:lol:

perhaps it was a scam defrauding Swedish citizens whilst based in Thailand ?