Does Thailand Block Certain Websites?

4evermaat

I was attempting to access http://www.billionmore.com/article/article.php?id=2 . My browser showed that it connected to the site and then was waiting for a reply, then "site is unavailable" screen came up. I quickly checked other known websites and saw that my internet was working just fine. So I asked my friend in the USA to check the link he sent me, he said it came right up. I decided to connect to connect to a VPS (virtual private server - like an always on remote desktop) and try it through there. Website came right up.

I use CAT CDMA in Phuket.

My girlfriend said that Lek Lai is a rare metal and hard to find in thailand. I suspected this may be the reason. But I never had censorship issues in the past, so please advise.

If blocked there would be a cover page providing information. This is likely a block by owner on contact with Thai IP address for possible legal reasons (in view of what they seem to be selling).

Rare Thai Buddhist amulets and Talismans Great-Value Muaythai Boxing shorts and gears Discount center of Asian products.
Billionmore.com has the estimated value of $6,110 and ranks # 963,520 in the World (Alexa). With the daily ads revenue: $3 and pageviews per day: 175. The website is hosted on server that locates in Chicago IL United States.

If blocked there would be a cover page providing information. This is likely a block by owner on contact with Thai IP address for possible legal reasons (in view of what they seem to be selling).

Rare Thai Buddhist amulets and Talismans Great-Value Muaythai Boxing shorts and gears Discount center of Asian products.
Billionmore.com has the estimated value of $6,110 and ranks # 963,520 in the World (Alexa). With the daily ads revenue: $3 and pageviews per day: 175. The website is hosted on server that locates in Chicago IL United States.

Understood. Didnt consider that the owner would do this, but it would make sense. Good to see that. Could you provide us with a website you know for sure is blocked? I'd like to see what the blocked webpage looks like.

I got through okay, probably a glitch/traffic issue.

Can you provide us with your Internet Service Provider?

The website is registered and hosted by Godaddy.

There's only a small chance that it is blocked from that side.

I'd say it somehow ended up on one of the multiple blocking list used here.

You don't need to do something illegal in Thailand to end up blocked:

• You can be misunderstood (know someone who had a website promoting tourism in Thailand blocked because they couldn't read his language and thought he might say something bad...)
  • You can be unlucky... Those in charge of that don't really seem to be the best when it comes to IT.
  • You can be annoying to some high ranking person, and they manage to get their friends add you to the list

In this cas however, the site is a farang selling Thai artifacts. From Muay Thai equipment to Amulet and Buddha Image... and these last to are frowned upon here.

As for the Lek Lai, thanks to you I learnt a new thing about Thai Folklore.

Never heard of it before.

They say it is a rare metal that can be melted by a candle flame (among other much more supernatural properties)

To me, this "precious" metal sounds like an amalgam (a Mix of mercury with other metal).

Dental fillings, for example, are amalgams. Their melting point is around 130°C

This is already way lower than a candle flame temperature.