Words, Idioms, Expressions

klons

This premis of this post is, a word, idiom or expression consisting of 4 or more

common words, (one word used twice counts as 2). The resulting word, idiom

or expression can be found listed in at least one of any of the dictionaries.

I started by keeping a list of these that I ran accross in the normal course

of my studies. Then I got carried away and started cheating by looking for

them in a dictionary. So here is my list. Is it complete? Did I get all of them?

เป็นที่เป็นทาง neatly; orderly; tidily

เป็นเหตุเป็นผล reasonable

เป็นที่น่าพอใจ is very satisfactory

เป็นตัวของตัวเอง self-confident; self-assured

เป็นเรื่องเป็นราว seriously; earnestly

เป็นอันหนึ่งอันเดียวกัน in unison; be of one mind

เป็นใหญ่เป็นโต be the boss; be on top; be the top man

เป็นหูเป็นตา look after things (for someone)

เป็นหน้าเป็นตา remarkable; outstanding; notable

เป็นสาวเป็นนาง being woman; be a young woman

เป็นรูปเป็นร่าง become visible; appear; show up

เป็นร้อยเป็นพัน many; very much; in great quantity

เป็นผู้เป็นคน be like a normal person

เป็นปากเป็นเสียง speak for; be a spokesman for; be the voice of

เป็นทุกข์เป็นร้อน be worried; concern; be anxious; bother; worry

เป็นที่รู้กันดี be known; be acknowledged

เป็นที่ชื่นชอบ be pleasing; be a favourite with; favour

เป็นแถวเป็นแนว in a row; in a line

เป็นตัวเป็นตน tangibly; apparently; evidently; vividly

เป็นชิ้นเป็นอัน substantially; tangibly; considerably

เป็นจริงเป็นจัง seriously; earnestly

เป็นเงินเป็นทอง be valuable; be precious

เป็นเงาตามตัว closely; inseparably

เป็นครั้งเป็นคราว sometimes; now and then; occasionally

เป็นกอบเป็นกำ substantial; considerable

น้อยเนื้อต่ำใจ disappoint; feel inferior; feel neglected

น้อยอกน้อยใจ feel hurt; sensitive; feel neglected by

ชัดถ้อยชัดคำ distinctly; clearly; precisely

เอาเรื่องเอาราว to take offense, take something to heart

เอาการเอางาน or เอางานเอาการ diligent; persevering

เอาจริงเอาจัง seriously; earnestly

เอาใจเขามาใส่ใจเรา be considerate; be thoughtful

เอาใจออกห่าง estrange; feel unfriendly; feel uncomfortable

เอาแต่ใจตัวเอง self-willed

เอาเป็นเอาตาย seriously (without concern of hardship)

เอาแน่เอานอนไม่ได้ inconsistent, erratic

เข้าที่เข้าทาง to fall into place

เข้าเจ้าเข้านาย play up to people of power and influence

เข้าด้ายเข้าเข็ม be critical; be serious

ตนเป็นที่พึ่งแห่งตน "God helps those who help themselves." idiom

ซึ่งกันและกัน each other

เห็นดำเห็นแดง to the end

เห็นดีเห็นงาม agree; consent

เห็นดีเห็นชอบ approve of; favour; concur

เห็นอกเห็นใจ sympathize with

ทำความรู้จัก make oneself known to someone

ทำท่าทำทาง act; conduct oneself

ทำปากทำคอ assume an attitude in speaking

ทำเป็นทองไม่รู้ร้อน feign indifference

ทำไปทำมา result unexpectedly at last

ทำมาหากิน earn a living; make a living

ทำมือทำไม้ gesture; pose; act

ทำเวรทำกรรม sin; commit a sin

ทำหน้าทำตา make funny face

ทำหูทวนลม listen with no attention; turn a deaf ear; pretend not to hear

ไปไหนไม่รอด cannot escape to anywhere

ได้ดิบได้ดี be successful

ได้เรื่องได้ราว improve; make good; become successful

ได้หน้าได้ตา be famous; gain a reputation

ได้หน้าลืมหลัง be forgetful; be easy to forget; have poor memory

เสียเนื้อเสียตัว lose one's virginity

เสียรูปเสียทรง be misshapen; be out of shape

มากหน้าหลายตา various people; many people

หัวแก้วหัวแหวน dear; dearest; favorite; cherished

หัวซุกหัวซุน in a headlong rush; in a hurry

หัวเลี้ยวหัวต่อ turning point; critical point; transition

หัวหลักหัวตอ inconsequential person; unimportant person; nobody

ใจจืดใจดำ unsympathetic; callous; unfeeling

ใจเร็วด่วนได้ hasty; careless; cursory; perfunctory

ใจใหญ่ใจโต too generous; openhanded; lavish

ที่ทำมาหากิน workplace

ที่หลับที่นอน place to sleep

ตามเรื่องตามราว naturally; habitually

รู้แจ้งเห็นจริง have a thorough knowledge

รู้เท่าไม่ถึงการณ์ not knowing what one is doing; be blind to the situation

รู้แล้วรู้รอด get over

รู้เห็นเป็นใจ connive; conspire

รู้อยู่เต็มอก know thoroughly

รู้เองเป็นเอง know by oneself

ไม่เข้าใครออกใคร be impartial; be unbiased

ไม่ช้าก็เร็ว sooner or later

ไม่ช้าไม่นาน soon; soon after; in a short time

ไม่ถูกโรคกัน conflict; clash; collide; contend

ไม่พูดไม่จา mute; hush; silence

ไม่ยินดียินร้าย appear indifferent; look unmoved

ไม่รู้จบรู้สิ้น be endless; be eternal

ไม่ลงรอยกัน conflict; quarrel; disagree

ไม่ลืมหูลืมตา heavily

ไม่ไว้วางใจ distrust; disbelieve

ไม่ไว้หน้าใคร have no respect; be inconsiderate

Klons,

Thank you so much for that extensive list.. I have a question regarding the last item, "ไม่ไว้หน้าใคร have no respect; be inconsiderate". Does this mean to lack respect for a particular individual or have no respect for any and every one? The sample sentence in Lexitron is a bit opaque to me: "เขาคิดว่าไม่เห็นจะต้องไม่ไว้หน้าใคร เพราะมันเป็นการทำตามหน้าที่". Please help explain.

Thanks.

Another question:

"ใจใหญ่ใจโต too generous; openhanded; lavish"

Lexitron provides this sentence: "คนใจใหญ่ใจโตจะทำอะไรก็จะคิดถึงคนอื่นเสมอ". It is unclear to me what this means. Is it either A. or B.?

A. Whenever magnanimous and generous people do something, they always think about others.

B. Whenever lavish and ostentatious people do anything, they always worry about what other people [think of them].

Which one, or, something else?

Another question:

Lexitron provides this sentence: "คนใจใหญ่ใจโตจะทำอะไรก็จะคิดถึงคนอื่นเสมอ". It is unclear to me what this means. Is it either A. or B.?

A. Whenever magnanimous and generous people do something, they always think about others.

B. Whenever lavish and ostentatious people do anything, they always worry about what other people [think of them].

It is actually a kind of double talk, ใจใหญ่ & ใจโต are two words with the exact same meaning "BIG HEART"

Another question:

It is ใจเอื้อเพื้อ เจือจาน อุดหนุน เผื่อแผ่ น้ำใจ so A is the answer.

Klons,

Thank you so much for that extensive list.. I have a question regarding the last item, "ไม่ไว้หน้าใคร have no respect; be inconsiderate". Does this mean to lack respect for a particular individual or have no respect for any and every one? The sample sentence in Lexitron is a bit opaque to me: "เขาคิดว่าไม่เห็นจะต้องไม่ไว้หน้าใคร เพราะมันเป็นการทำตามหน้าที่". Please help explain.

Thanks.

This one I read up this morning and it seemed to mean what it says, more like looking after someones reputation.

All the sentences in Lexitron seem to be opaque and this one with its double negatives is no exception. เสียหน้า is opposite to ไว้หน้า so that gets rid of one. เขาคิดว่า เขาไม่เห็นต้องเสียหน้าใคร the next bit is what? เพราะอะไร มันเป็นอะไร over to you David or anyone else.

Edit; what I mean is the choice is:

He doesn't see why he has to not protect reputations because by not protecting would be doing his duty. or because his duty comes first. I am a morning person can't figure this out now.

Edited by tgeezer

เขาคิดว่าไม่เห็นจะต้องไม่ไว้หน้าใคร เพราะมันเป็นการทำตามหน้าที่

Right that sentence is giving me a lot of problems, can't work out the meaning, have laid out 2 possibilities in my layman's terms. I'm not sure if either of them hit the mark at all. :unsure:

He doesn't see why he has to save anyone else's face ่just because it's his duty to do so.

or is it more like

He doesn't see the need to go saving the face of others cos it's his duty (and therefore he'll do it automatically)

Anyone?

From an article in The Nation weekly magazine, advice from a father to a child:

"การทำอะไรด้วยใจนี่มันดีนะลูก เหมือนคนที่มารวมชุมนุมไง ไม่ว่าจะไปชุมนุมกับเสื้อสีไหนอยู่ข้างฝ่ายใด ถ้าไปด้วยใจนี่มันดีทั้งนั้น เพียงแต่เราต้องระวังไม่ให้ใจใหญ่มากไปกว่าความรู้ถ้าหนูจัดสมดุลระหว่างความรักและความรู้ได้ หนูจะไม่เจ็บปวดกับความรักเชื่อพ่อสิ"

In this context the adjective "ใจใหญ่" in the clause "เพียงแต่เราต้องระวังไม่ให้ใจใหญ่มากไปกว่าความรู้" seems to carry a pejorative meaning.

Here is another one from Matichon newspaper regarding the possible attempted bribery case of a court clerk several years ago:

"ผู้พิพากษาศาลฎีกาท่านดังกล่าวยังระบุว่ามีประเด็นที่น่าเป็นไปได้คือเป็นการเสนอให้เงินแก่เจ้าหน้าที่ไม่เจาะจงว่าเป็นคนหนึ่งคนใดโดยใช้เงินจำนวนมากแสดงให้เห็นถึงความใจใหญ่เพื่อให้เจ้าหน้าที่เกิดความสนใจที่จะช่วยเป็นหูเป็นตารายงานความเคลื่อนไหวในศาลฎีกา"

Here, also, the generosity appears to be tainted.

What do you think?

Right that sentence is giving me a lot of problems, can't work out the meaning, have laid out 2 possibilities in my layman's terms. I'm not sure if either of them hit the mark at all. :unsure:

He doesn't see why he has to save anyone else's face ่just because it's his duty to do so.

or is it more like

He doesn't see the need to go saving the face of others cos it's his duty (and therefore he'll do it automatically)

Anyone?

In my opinion, these sentences has one word too many that is why it does not gel

It should read.........เขาคิดว่าไม่เห็นจะต้องไว้หน้าใคร เพราะมันเป็นการทำตามหน้าที่

or is it more like

Anyone?

I worked out something while I was watering the garden. มันเป็นการทำตามหน้าที่ของเขา มันเป็นต้องไม่ไว้หนาใคร เขาไม่เห็นใจมัน

It is his duty not to protect anyones reputation. He thinks that he does not agree with this.

The Thai in its present form does not need เพราะ because there is nothing to explain, unless he is explaining ไม่เห็น but then the explanation explains nothing.

Here is an idiomatic verb. ต้องตื่นเช้าแหกขี้หูขี้ตาไปทำงาน

See, it goes before the thing which you have to do when you think that you would rather remain in bed. In the dictionary it is just แหกขี้ตา ก. รีบร้อน. Good for type B people; those whose body clock is set later than normal. I never need to use it.

Here are two examples of the phrase "ไม่ไว้หน้าใคร"

ที่จริงคุณทักษิณมีคุณูปการแก่สังคมไทยมาก คือนโยบายทางเศรษฐกิจและการเมืองของท่านดึงคนไทยจำนวนมากให้ละแผนสังคมเก่า (เกรงใจ อภัยประนีประนอม) แล้วเข้าสู่แผนสังคมสมัยใหม่ (เผชิญหน้า ไม่อภัยง่ายๆติเตียนต่อว่ากัน) ที่สำคัญคือคุณทักษิณมิได้เพียง สั่งสอน แต่ ทำตัวเป็นตัวอย่างด้วยการก้าวร้าวไม่ไว้หน้าใคร

In reality, Mr. Thaksin has significant support from the Thai community. That is, his economic and political policies entice many of the Thai people to abandon their old ways (of being obsequious to authority; of not pardoning others easily, and of openly criticizing others). Most importantly, Mr. Thaksin not only preaches [his principles], he actually is a living example of their operation with his aggressiveness and lack of respect for others.

ต้องร่วมมือและสนับสนุนให้คณะกรรมการป้องกันและปรามปราบการทุจริตแห่งชาติ(ปปช.) และคณะกรรมการตรวจเงินแผ่นดิน (คตง.)ตรวจสอบการทุจริตและประพฤติมิชอบของนักการเมืองและข้าราชการระดับสูงอย่างไม่ไว้หน้าใคร

[We] must join together and assist the National Anti-Corruption Commission (AAC) andthe State Audit Commission (SAC) to investigate corruption and illegitimate activity conducted by politicians and senior administration officials without kowtowing to anyone.

What do you think?

Edited by DavidHouston

or is it more like

Anyone?

In my opinion, these sentences has one word too many that is why it does not gel

It should read.........เขาคิดว่าไม่เห็นจะต้องไว้หน้าใคร เพราะมันเป็นการทำตามหน้าที่

Equally ไม่ไว้หน้าใคร could also be his duty. I would then say 'act without favouring someone's status'. But the 'because' is daft wherever you apply it, isn't it?

He thinks that he doesn't agree that he should act (without) considering status because that would be doing his duty. With or without ไม่ doesn't it mean that he doesn't agree with his duty?

I wonder what it will look like in the morning.

ที่จริงคุณทักษิณมีคุณูปการแก่สังคมไทยมาก คือนโยบายทางเศรษฐกิจและการเมืองของท่านดึงคนไทยจำนวนมากให้ละแผนสังคมเก่า (เกรงใจ อภัยประนีประนอม) แล้วเข้าสู่แผนสังคมสมัยใหม่ (เผชิญหน้า ไม่อภัยง่ายๆติเตียนต่อว่ากัน) ที่สำคัญคือคุณทักษิณมิได้เพียง สั่งสอน แต่ ทำตัวเป็นตัวอย่างด้วยการก้าวร้าวไม่ไว้หน้าใคร

In reality, Mr. Thaksin has significant support from the Thai community. That is, his economic and political policies entice many of the Thai people to abandon their old ways (of being obsequious to authority; of not pardoning others easily, and of openly criticizing others). Most importantly, Mr. Thaksin not only preaches [his principles], he actually is a living example of their operation with his aggressiveness and lack of respect for others.

ต้องร่วมมือและสนับสนุนให้คณะกรรมการป้องกันและปรามปราบการทุจริตแห่งชาติ(ปปช.) และคณะกรรมการตรวจเงินแผ่นดิน (คตง.)ตรวจสอบการทุจริตและประพฤติมิชอบของนักการเมืองและข้าราชการระดับสูงอย่างไม่ไว้หน้าใคร

[We] must join together and assist the National Anti-Corruption Commission (AAC) andthe State Audit Commission (SAC) to investigate corruption and illegitimate activity conducted by politicians and senior administration officials without kowtowing to anyone.

What do you think?

Both of these show the meaning very well. In one ไว้หน้าใคร is wanted but not happening and in the second it is feared that it will happen. I don't know about everyone else but I seem to understand it better in Thai than in English.

Good points everyone but i'm still confused, for me it would make sense if there was another ไม่ in there.เขาคิดว่าไม่เห็นจะต้องไว้หน้าใคร เพราะมันไม่เป็นการทำตามหน้าที่

He feels that he doesn't have to bow down to anyone because that's not his duty/or because he's not obliged to do so.

ทำตัวเป็นตัวอย่างด้วยการก้าวร้าวไม่ไว้หน้าใคร

ตรวจสอบการทุจริตและประพฤติมิชอบของนักการเมืองและข้าราชการระดับสูงอย่างไม่ไว้หน้าใคร

What do you think?

Both of these show the meaning very well. In one ไว้หน้าใคร is wanted but not happening and in the second it is feared that it will happen. I don't know about everyone else but I seem to understand it better in Thai than in English.

I looked up เห็นจะ and discovered that I had it wrong, it means คงจะ and in the negative คงจะไม่ which I am taking as may be not ต้อง or 'not necessarily have to' .

Looking at the two examples it has a different meaning depending on the situation. Taksin is accused of it and the investigation it is seen to be desirable.

If we assume that the protagonist in our example is the investigator in the second example above, when accused of ไม่ไว้หน้าใคร he might respond with 'I think that I don't necessarily have to ไม่ไว้หนัาใคร it is a case of doing my duty'.

I think that culturally ไว้หน้าใคร is ingrained and in some cases become a metaphor for what ails societies.

What do you think?

I wonder if the bolded bit could be expressed as 'without regard for people's feelings' or even 'regardless of a person's position and status'?

น้ำไหลไฟดับ fluently, talk excessively

Intriguing! Does this have the same connotation as พูดมาก?

I've only ever seen the two separate expressions:

น้ำไหล - you're dribbling (literally: saliva is coming out of your mouth)

ไฟดับ - the electric's out

I can see how the first could be used as metaphor for talking excessively, but any ideas what ไฟดับ has got to do with it?

Edited by SoftWater

I can see how the first could be used as metaphor for talking excessively, but any ideas what ไฟดับ has got to do with it?

ไฟดับ = after listening to someone it still leave you in the dark, even if you know what it all about you are still not sure if it the truth or just a lie

What's the closest natural English expression for this?

พูดอยู่ได้ puutF yooL daiF

Context:

A keeps nagging at B about the same thing until B responds with the expression above, which only antagonises A even further.

I'm guessing something along the lines of "I'm sick of hearing about this topic."

Context:

A keeps nagging at B about the same thing until B responds with the expression above, which only antagonises A even further.

I'm guessing something along the lines of "I'm sick of hearing about this topic."

Given the effect it typically has on the person you say it to, the closest natural expression is probably something like, "Are you ever going to shut up?"

Context:

Given the effect it typically has on the person you say it to, the closest natural expression is probably something like, "Are you ever going to shut up?"

Wow. Really? That's much harsher than I expected (and kinda cheeky for a 5-year old to say to his mum! :lol: )

Thx!

p.s: I have another question regarding พูดอยู่ได้ :

does anyone know a good comeback/retort if said between peers?

Edited by SoftWater

I'd say it's definitely a cheeky comment, especially from a kid, but we might tone down the English equivalent to, say, "Are you ever going to stop talking?" Of course the Thai พูดอยู่ได้ isn't a question, so they're not exactly comparable, but both are going to get someone's dander up!

Klons,

Thanks.

There seem to be a number of ideas about this sentence; let me throw my hat into the ring.

"เขาคิดว่าไม่เห็นจะต้องไม่ไว้หน้าใคร เพราะมันเป็นการทำตามหน้าที่"

"He thinks that he shouldn't have to be inconsiderate to anyone, since it's in line with his duty."

My understanding is that he feels no one will perceive his actions as being inconsiderate, since he's just doing his job.

As for whether ไม่ไว้หน้าใคร means no respect for anyone, or just for one person, I think it can mean either depending on context.

ไฟดับ = after listening to someone it still leave you in the dark, even if you know what it all about you are still not sure if it the truth or just a lie

I don't quite agree with that explanation--my understanding is that it means one talks so much the saliva extinguishes the candles. ไฟ doesn't just mean "electric", it can mean any light source, be it fire, a candle, a lantern, a light bulb...

I don't quite agree with that explanation--my understanding is that it means one talks so much the saliva extinguishes the candles. ไฟ doesn't just mean "electric", it can mean any light source, be it fire, a candle, a lantern, a light bulb...

I must say I prefer the other interpretation,the imagery of saliva dowsing a candle is not too appealing even if it's correct, but after asking several Thais as to why ไฟดับ nobody knew why.

In the cartoon of The Daily News today there's the line ชาวบ้านตาดำๆ meaning unsophisticated,unpretentious, guileless, simple, as in down to earth villagers or people.