Philips Hdtv

NewGuy

I was in Pattaya's Carrefour and fell in love with the Philips HDtv model 29PT8322. The salesman said the 22,900 price tag included the Philips brand 3005 dvd player, free delivery and installation and the promise of a stand when one finds its way into stock.

A quick search yielded a couple of Thai language hits. My gf said they talked about screen problems, poor service and expensive parts for Philips.

Has any TV member had positive or negative experiences with this model?

BTW, will I be able to hook up my new laptop to this tv? The laptop has s-video, vga and dvi outs, I think.

There are a few people in the Thai language forums which have *serious* issues with Philips, to the point of actually making web pages dedicated to those issues. However, I think that pretty much every manufacturer has issues... it's just that in this case some people were very pxxed, and decided to be very vocal about it. In other words, don't base your buying decisions on remarks from a couple of dissatisfied customers. I can regale you with morbid tales of horrible service from pretty much every manufacturer out there... I'm just not obsessed enough to go around telling everybody I meet about it. In the TV forums, you'll see something similar... when someone asks about a certain product, there will always be the same person complaining very vocally about his bad experience, and saying that no-one should ever buy anything from this and this manufacturer.

The model you're looking at is not one of Philip's top models... not a surprise considering the price. Don't expect HD input to look very good.. the TV's real resolution is very low. If you want good pictures, go with the models that have Pixel Plus. They're considerbly more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Yes, you can hook up your laptop, via the s-video cable. Again, don't expect much, since your laptops' native resolution is around 1 million pixels, and a TV's real resolution is around 250,000 pixels. It's ok for watching movies, but don't it won't replace a monitor.