Reports Of Swedish Woman Killed By Box Jellyfish

stingertale

http://www.scandasia.com/viewNews.php?coun_code=se&news_id=7729

Reports in the Swedish media are that a 59 year old Swedish woman was found dead in the water at Cha-Am on 14 November and that this was possibly due to box jellyfish sting. Tragic news and terrible discovery by her husband. Cause of death according to reports as yet unknown but if jellyfish is being suggested perhaps sting lesions were seen on the woman's body. Does anyone in this area know anything more about this tragedy? Was a box jellyfish sighted and were stings marks noticed? It would be good to get some facts at this stage to create a clearer picture. Thanks

Box jellys are proven to be in Thai waters both west coast and Gulf of Thailand.

Also abundant at this time of year are Morbakka jellys (nasty critters) .

They are being identified quite regularly from photos videos and dive pro personal experiences, also confirmed by a poisons unit and DAN Seap from Australia.

Professional reasearch has been ongoing for the last 4 years or so, one theory is this time of year as the NE Monsoon blows they are brought from breeding grounds west of the phillipines. Its becoming apparent that oct-jan is the season for the buggers in the G.O.T.

I have read an interview with the woman's husband and he claims that the Thai authorities have asked him not to speak about the tragic accident with the Swedish media as it would discourage tourists from coming to Thailand.

Last year a 45 year old Swedish woman was stung to death in Langkawi and despite the woman had tentacles on her legs the Malaysian doctor wrote death by drowning in the death certificate. The deceased husband has tried to change that without success.

One must assume that the tourist authorities both here and in Malaysia would like to see as little as possible mentioned about box jellyfish in the media.

I have read an interview with the woman's husband and he claims that the Thai authorities have asked him not to speak about the tragic accident with the Swedish media as it would discourage tourists from coming to Thailand.

Last year a 45 year old Swedish woman was stung to death in Langkawi and despite the woman had tentacles on her legs the Malaysian doctor wrote death by drowning in the death certificate. The deceased husband has tried to change that without success.

One must assume that the tourist authorities both here and in Malaysia would like to see as little as possible mentioned about box jellyfish in the media.

can you tell me where i can read the interview with the victim's husband please - thanks

can you tell me where i can read the interview with the victim's husband please - thanks

It was a quote in the Swedish daily 'Aftonbladet'.

B) As a Coastal and Marine Geologist this is something I have been aware of for some time. I was also a resident of Hua Hin for 7 years.

It is not outside the realm of possibilities as fluctuations in sea temperatures, currents, and seasonal populations of certain species, Box Jellyfish included. It is a classic case of being in the wrong place at the right time. As others have mentioned could also be an extreme allergic reaction to the many other venomous species of Cnidarians(Jellyfish) that are normally present in the Gulf of Thailand. There was a rather well documented case of a fatal Box Jelltfish sting off of Koh Samui many years ago. Certainly not good news for tourism as we approach the high season. Altough I would imagine the probabilities of being stung are very remote for the casual tourist.Probably a higher chance of being killed in a road accident.

LL