Chiang Mai Horse Racing

betico1

the races are a great day out.. usually kick off around 1pm and finish.. 5 or 6pm from memory depending on number of races, if they are on time, etc..

i have no idea where to find info or results on the net sorry, have always just gone along with friends.

if i can find an old form guide there might be something in there.

form guide from last week is almost exclusively in thai and i cant read it sorry.. doesn't appear to have web address either.

however, first race started 12.30pm (altho they were running late) and last race run was at 5.30pm, only 7 races last week, but i remember there being more other times.

It's one of those things i've always wanted to do in Chiang Mai and somehow never got around to doing! I know lots of people who have though. If I remember rightly its only 100 baht to get into the air condtioned members enclosure with bar facilities etc. 30 baht for the cheap seats. The form guide as CMFubar says, is in Thai, so you just pick a number and chance your luck. As I don't think I'd place a lot of faith in a Thai form guide anyway, that's probably the best way to go!! As stated, the races are often late starting, but then you'd expect nothing else really! and with a cold beer in hand, who cares?

It's one of those things i've always wanted to do in Chiang Mai and somehow never got around to doing! I know lots of people who have though. If I remember rightly its only 100 baht to get into the air condtioned members enclosure with bar facilities etc. 30 baht for the cheap seats. The form guide as CMFubar says, is in Thai, so you just pick a number and chance your luck. As I don't think I'd place a lot of faith in a Thai form guide anyway, that's probably the best way to go!! As stated, the races are often late starting, but then you'd expect nothing else really! and with a cold beer in hand, who cares?

That's not exactly how things work. If you want to participate in cruelty to horses, by all means go.

I used to enjoy a trip to the track in my home country, but what goes on here resembles that in no way, shape or form. I've witnessed two deaths in my 3 trips to the track here (one on the parade to post). Almost all animals here are "juiced" and the winner is decided beforehand. If you go more than a week or two you'll see the jockey of the lead horse pulling strongly on it's reins in the backstretch because it is the horse that is not supposed to win. If you do insist on going, the way to bet is in accordance with that group of runners that you'll see in the stands talking to "the guy who knows" about 5 minutes before the betting windows close.

And you placed a lot in the ones back home?B)

I went a few times to take pictures but have been put off by the appalling way the horses are treated. Aside from whatever they are given to make them speed up or slow down to fit in with the race fixing (which seems to be every race from what I'm told) the concern shown for injured animals is non-existent - a horse that fell and had its foot broken at the ankle was left to stand in the sun unattended on its remaining three legs for at least a couple of hours last time I was there so I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon.

173496887_d63cQ-X2.jpg

More pictures here

The best thing I ever saw at the Chiang Mai races was on my last visit, there were 8 horse in the race but only 7 traps, the set the first 7 horses running then put the last last one in the trap then set it off after maybe 30 seconds behind. Needless to say it didn't catch the other 7 up. :D

• 1 year later...

Guys, is the track far from the centre of Chiang Mai, ill probably have a few beers so ill get a tuk tuk. What time does it start and is it like UK where the bookies post odds etc or is it just tote type thing? I presume most tuk tuk drivers will know where it is but if someone could point out the address that would be great in case they have no idea

Guys, is the track far from the centre of Chiang Mai, ill probably have a few beers so ill get a tuk tuk. What time does it start and is it like UK where the bookies post odds etc or is it just tote type thing? I presume most tuk tuk drivers will know where it is but if someone could point out the address that would be great in case they have no idea

It's about 3-4 kms from the center of CM in the park opposite the (closed) Tribal Museum. i have no idea what the address is but it's on the road that runs from the 107 to the Canal Rd on the south side of the Lanna golf Course.

I went a few times to take pictures but have been put off by the appalling way the horses are treated. Aside from whatever they are given to make them speed up or slow down to fit in with the race fixing (which seems to be every race from what I'm told) the concern shown for injured animals is non-existent - a horse that fell and had its foot broken at the ankle was left to stand in the sun unattended on its remaining three legs for at least a couple of hours last time I was there so I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon.

173496887_d63cQ-X2.jpg

More pictures here

Great photos, as good or better, than most most press pics. Thanks.

It's on the Mae Rim road about 1 km after the last traffic lights. Not sure about the real name, but 'Sanam maa' surely will work. Have a great time, starts about noon.

It's on the Mae Rim road about 1 km after the last traffic lights. Not sure about the real name, but 'Sanam maa' surely will work. Have a great time, starts about noon.

Is it near the turn-off to Huay Tung Tao?

173496887_d63cQ-X2.jpg

More pictures here

Great photos, as good or better, than most most press pics. Thanks.

I would hope so... Greenside is as professional (and as great) of a photographer as they come. I wish I could take photos like he does.

You're very kind. Unfortunately, I outstayed my welcome just after the race shown above. The security guard threw me off the central area by the finishing line, under the impression that lying down with my head on the track under the railings was dangerous in some way. He probably then had a couple of drinks, piled on an old motor bike with his workmates and drove off through the CM traffic... I know which I'd prefer.

It was an exciting viewpoint while it lasted though.

Edited by Greenside

You're very kind. Unfortunately, I outstayed my welcome just after the race shown above. The security guard threw me off the central area by the finishing line, under the impression that lying down with my head on the track under the railings was dangerous in some way. He probably then had a couple of drinks, piled on an old motor bike with his workmates and drove off through the CM traffic... I know which I'd prefer.

It was an exciting viewpoint while it lasted though.

Before I could take my video I had to get permission and could only shoot video toward the track. The race track is on an Army post and that is why I had to get permission. They also don't want photos of the betting windows being taken. Next time ask if you can take photos.