P-C-T-V Card - Pattaya?

SurfRider

Does anyone know where to buy a PCTV computer card in the Pattaya/Jomtien area?

Also known as a "TV Tuner Card", it allows Cable TV to be viewed through a computer as well as turning your PC into a Digital Video Recorder (DVR) so programs can be recorded on your hard-drive for later viewing.

I bought one of the Pinnacle cards a few years back at IT-CITY, but they no longer sell them.

The references below show one version of a PCTV card -- Thanks in advance to anyone for any comments.

Pctvpro.jpg

http://www.linuxtv.o...nnacle_PCTV_Pro

"I would have thought Tuk Com was the place to look."

Yes, obviously - looked almost every where there - standard language barrier problems - they didn't have a clue what I was looking for. Will print out photo -- show it around and see if that turns up anything.

Just for the record, I went to Hardware House in TukCom today - got the fairly frequent Thai phrase - "Finish". In other words, they don't sell the ASUS units anymore, nor any other TV tuners. I asked if she could order one from Bangkok - "not in catalog".

I found a shop, D-Tech on the 3rd floor that has several models, but they couldn't explain what any of them did. I bought a USB unit called "White TV Box", which has a remote-control and does basic TV reception and recording. Whether or not it will allow viewing one channel while recording another as many units do, remains to be seen. The manual is very cryptic and printed in microscopic type ( TiT .. :) )

hyku1147,

Thanks for the information. I didn't see your product at the D-Tech shop, but if you're sure they stock it, I'll check again.

From your website, it's clear that the products cover a wide variety of tasks. Does your video capture PCI card allow simple display of Cable TV on a computer, as well as pre-set recording of TV programs?

If so, does the PCI card come with user-interface software, such as the standard TV-Tuner cards do? Does the software allow for "time offestting", or being able to view one pre-recorded program while another is currently being recorded. This is a feature of the Pinnacle PCTV card that I have now.

If you have reference to specific technical information or instructions on the PCI card and/or software interface, I'd like to review it. I didn't find the README file that you mentioned in your Post.

Thanks in advance for any additional information.

"D-Tech on the 3rd floor has the following usb unit that is quite handy ... AVerMedia TV Series"

For the record and anyone following this thread, I checked with the D-Tech shop and they don't sell the AVerMedia product mentioned, nor any other AVerMedia products.

They do however have several very basic TV-Tuners, both USB and internal PCI cards. The staff has no knowledge of what the units do and there are no instructions, so it's a hit-and-miss situation as to whether or not you'll get anything that comes close to your needs. I've established that it's doubtful that any of the D-Tech units allow for "time shifting"-- or recording one event while watching another or watching an earlier recorded portion of the current record event, while still recording it. The more sophisticated Pinnacle and Hauppage cards allow these features as well as other enhancements, but are apparently no longer available in Pattaya.

The USB unit called "White TV Box" that I bought is very basic and it takes over your sound system while recording, so sound is not possible for anything else while recording is in progress. Likewise, you cannot watch regular TV or play-back a video file while the unit is recording. Both of these important options were available with the better cards mentioned earlier.

The D-Tech shop qualifies as a unique "find" for anyone looking for certain other gadgets that are not easy to find at the other shops. They have many extension and patch cables with a large variety of connectors -- also several switching boxes for VGA, KVM, Serial, and USB switching. Also many other gadget-type items that I didn't have time to look into.

If anyone happens to come across any source of quality PCTV or TV-Tuner cards, it would be great if you would post the data.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Thanks for the additional information and PDF. The large store on the 5th floor is "IT CITY" -- D-Tech is a small shop on the 3rd floor.

The AVerMedia card looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I checked IT-CITY twice and they claimed they don't carry any TV-Tuner or PCTV cards. I also looked over their entire store and found none. Now that I know the exact name and model, I'll try again.

The AVerMedia website shows both IT-CITY and another shop called DIGIMART-- both in Pattaya, as distributors. I couldn't find a location for DIGIMART and their phone is out of order -- if anyone knows the location of DIGIMART, please post it -- apparently, they have other locations in Thailand, but I couldn't find any specifics.