Thai Visa For Farang Child

We have been in Thailand 4 years and until now my employer has arranged visas for myself and my child. My contract finishes soon and I will no longer be working.

The plan is for me to get a visa as a dependent of my Thai husband. But what about my child - who is not Thai and not related to hubby? I heard we might be able to apply for an education visa in this instance but searching for that term seems to bring up education visas for adults learning Thai, not kids. For what it's worth my child attends an international school and they will issue a letter confirming enrolment.

Just looking for a bit of advice on what visa is best for my child and whether 3 days in Phnom Penh is enough time to get them issued?

He can get 12 month extensions at Immigration based on Eduction.

2.9 In the case of enrollment in a private educational institution: Permission will be granted for a period as confirmed by the institution but shall not be more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(2) The particular educational institution holds a license from the competent authority to operate; and

(3) Confirmation and request has been made by that particular institution; and

(4) That particular institution is accredited by the competent authority (except in the case of enrollment in an international school or university)

Also as your dependant. That's the way I read it.

2.18 In the case of a family

member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child

of his/her spouse):

Permission will be

granted for a period of

not more than 1 year at a time.

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age;

Agree, untill he turns 21 he can be a dependen of you and your husband as long as he lives with you. Once he is 21 he needs his own reason to stay in Thailand.

But the education visa is a valid alternative and also no problem in his case. He would get 1 year extension, instead of 90 day extensions that students at a language course get.

• 2 months later...

Ah yes, well kids visa can be gotten here, but I'm switching to a spouse visa based on marriage to Thai hubby and was told I need to leave the country and apply from outside Thailand. Gosh I hope that's true as I just booked my ticket!

The question is what visa are you now on and how many days do you still have left on your current permisison to stay?

It is not always necesarry to leave the country.

To apply you do need a non immigrant visa entry - if that is not what you have and not a week or more remaining on entry then a trip outside to obtain makes sense. There is a method to obtain at Immigration with a week or two remaining on current entry but it is an extra 2,000 baht step.