How And Where Do I Get My Proof Of Residence?

I went to the UK consulate Chiang Mai last week to get this letter for driving licence for the princely sum of 2350 baht, yes, you heard correct....for two pieces of paper that would take 2 minutes to produce....good to see the UK looking after us over here!?

Only to be told at Thai diving licence place, a letter from Thai Immigration would suffice at a fraction of the price.....doh!

as usual there's likely to be different 'rules' for different areas; a year ago I paid 200 at Phuket Immigration for the residency form for my drivers licences.

I suspect this may have been more 'donation' than 'fee'

Renewal time tomorrow and wait and see what Sa Kaeo Immigration charge . . .

as usual there's likely to be different 'rules' for different areas; a year ago I paid 200 at Phuket Immigration for the residency form for my drivers licences.

I suspect this may have been more 'donation' than 'fee'

Renewal time tomorrow and wait and see what Sa Kaeo Immigration charge . . .

You are totally incorrect. it has been 500 baht at Chiang Mai immigration for the pass 4 years. Just because yours are below standard does not mean ours are.:D

Just got the affidavit done at the Canadian embassy here in Bangkok - 1500 baht

I figure it's extortion for the one piece of paper, but nothing much one can do about it. I need it to renew my driver's licence from the one year temporary to the five year. And I didn't know if the local immo office would do the letter for me, and even if they would, how long it might take. So, as I was in BKK for a few days, paid the fare at my embassy.

Different embassies, different prices. Canuck is 1500 per signature, so if you need two pages, you're looking at 3000!

I went to the UK consulate Chiang Mai last week to get this letter for driving licence for the princely sum of 2350 baht, yes, you heard correct....for two pieces of paper that would take 2 minutes to produce....good to see the UK looking after us over here!?

Only to be told at Thai diving licence place, a letter from Thai Immigration would suffice at a fraction of the price.....doh!

The police can also do it,usually around 200bht

Proof of residence document in Bangkok from US Embassy is $50 (approximately 1500 Thai Baht) same day service. Immigration office is free and but mail it your address (about 30days) unless an expedite fee is paid.

You are correct, $50 0r 1.500 Baht from the US Embassy. And it should be free from Thai Immigration. But you need to bring a copy of your landlords ID card, a copy of your lease or rental agreement, a copy of the front page of your passport (photo page), a copy of your visa in your passport and a copy of your TM6 Departure card. At least these are the requirements to apply for a Thai drivers license in Phuket...

Of course the £46.30, 2315 Baht, is the standard fee set centrally by the FCO and is meant to ensure that the cost of providing these consular services is meant to be cost neutral. Of course the imputing of the information onto the template by of the locally employed member of staff, who is earning in the region of 32,000 Baht a month is far more than cost neutral.

I for one will happily pay the immigration staff a contribution, that would probably be appreciated, to provide meaningful proof of my residential status, after all all our Embassy does for their money is to write what we tell them.

If only the immigration staff would accept proof of my pension rather than a meaningless letter from my embassy, I would again be happy pay for the officers lunch for a week.

Cheapest although maybe not the easiest is a letter from your local Amphur detailing your address and if they have done any for farang before it should be straightforward. Before I got my Yellow Book I always went to my Amphur, they even had the letter already formatted ready to add my details.

Cheapest although maybe not the easiest is a letter from your local Amphur detailing your address and if they have done any for farang before it should be straightforward. Before I got my Yellow Book I always went to my Amphur, they even had the letter already formatted ready to add my details.

I tried that at Sattahip Amphur, spoke to the head man, can not be done, in the end had it done at pattaya immigration.

• 4 months later...

Anyone know of the details required at Pattaya Immigration for obtaining a proof of residency?

I'm currently staying long-term in a hotel, and don't really have a written rental agreement, only

a receipt. I have a non-immigration visa and wish to get a drivers license here, hence the proof

of residency..

A yellow book living in a hotel room?

Who said the OP was staying in a hotel room. Not one of "sammymiso's" makes reference to a hotel. So I say again why not get yourself a yellow?

user_off.png

Edited by mallyrd

The only thing I was ever asked proof of residence for was when I first came to Thailand 10 yrs ago, and had applied for Retirement Visa.

I showed them my receipts from the condo I was staying in and the electric bill.

When I went for my Drivers/Riders license, they also asked for proof of residence. Again my condo or electric bill.

Later on when I was approved my Retirement Visa, I purchased a home and was only asked for my drivers/riders license, or my electric, or phone bill, Bank book etc.

The only place that asked for Proof of Residence was Immigration then and more recently was still Immigration for my 90 day reporting.

Can someone please tell how and where do I get my proof of residence? How much does it cost?

US Embassy charges $50 for a Residency Certificate

Immigration Bureau, depending upon you location, charges from 0 up to 500 THB, require a form ( Certificate of Residence Application TM.18) 2 photos, arrival stamp, lease, house book, or utility receipt to issue the Certificate

see attached:

residence certificate.doc

vcpilot above is the requirement for Pattaya / Jomtien Immigration (fee is 200 THB)

Edited by Langsuan Man

Anyone know of the details required at Pattaya Immigration for obtaining a proof of residency?

I'm currently staying long-term in a hotel, and don't really have a written rental agreement, only

a receipt. I have a non-immigration visa and wish to get a drivers license here, hence the proof

of residency..

In reply to my own post, (to whoever might be interested), the procedure was rather painless.

I called the immigration office and asked them to explain in thai the details of the document the hotel should

provide, to the hotel staff. It ended up being a rather free form document written in ms word, that told the address,

my name and the duration of my stay, and also some other details, i didn't understand it all.

With this document, passport, copy of my passport, some passport photos (one for each copy of

residency certificate + one for them), 200 baht / copy of residency certificate, i went to the jomtien

immigration office, where i filled out the form and they sorted it out for me in couple of hours, while i

relaxed on the beach. The officers at immigration were very friendly and helpful. thumbsup.gif

Cheers Langsuan Man, got it sorted. smile.gif

Edited by vcpilot

of residency..

In reply to my own post, (to whoever might be interested), the procedure was rather painless.

I called the immigration office and asked them to explain in thai the details of the document the hotel should

provide, to the hotel staff. It ended up being a rather free form document written in ms word, that told the address,

my name and the duration of my stay, and also some other details, i didn't understand it all.

With this document, passport, copy of my passport, some passport photos (one for each copy of

residency certificate + one for them), 200 baht / copy of residency certificate, i went to the jomtien

immigration office, where i filled out the form and they sorted it out for me in couple of hours, while i

relaxed on the beach. The officers at immigration were very friendly and helpful. thumbsup.gif

Glad you got it sorted. They made me wait a day and come back and pick up the completed certificate the next day, so consider yourself lucky getting same day service

Hope your trip to Land Transport Office for your license is as smooth, although I doubt it :D

of residency..

Glad you got it sorted. They made me wait a day and come back and pick up the completed certificate the next day, so consider yourself lucky getting same day service

Hope your trip to Land Transport Office for your license is as smooth, although I doubt it :D

Heh, yes i guess it was lucky.. wink.gif Early yesterday morning i went to visit the Land Transport Office and things did go pretty smooth,

although it was a full days work (well, mostly waiting) to get both licenses. The driving tests were pretty easy, and both can be

done with vehicles rented across the street from the office. Many people there had trouble with the theory test.

Some months ago i practiced a lot with an online test (which i couldn't find anymore last Sunday), and still

remembered some answers from that. I think it helped pass the tests quite easily. TIP: It is illegal to drive on public

roads with a vehicle without a front windshield. I had to complete the same theory test twice (although with random questions),

since i was applying for both motorbike and car licenses. Funny that they wouldn't accept one passed test for both license applications.

Anyways, in the end i got two shiny one year driver's licenses. smile.gif

The process was quite easy,

1. Get all paperwork sorted at the front door, get any missing photocopies from across the street

2. Wait in line to get your papers processed

3. Wait some more and take the color, reaction and depth perception tests

4. Wait again, take the theory test (once for every license)

5. Have lunch across the street, wait for practical tests. Good time to go practice

the driving course with your motorbike, and arrange vehicle rentals if necessary.

6. Do the practical tests, motorbikes first, cars later. Remember to sign your name after driving.

7. Go back to the building, wait for your name to be called, pay the fees, wait again, get your picture taken,

and get your card(s).

I didn't find a single map pointing out the location of the office, so here goes for those that tread the same path in the future:

http://maps.google.c...002642&t=h&z=19

Why don't you all just get yourself a "yellow book".

Maybe because it's not so easy to get one ?

I own a condo in Pattaya and tried to get one at City Hall 3 years ago

but was said that they can only give me a "blue book",

useless because without my name on it.

How did you get yours ?

Cha-Am cost me 750 Baht each for proof of residence from the local police station. I was told at the driver licence place that if I had gone to HuaHin it would have been 400 Baht each. Typical !!

I have had it done in other areas for free from the Amphur.

Obviously differences in each area.