Philosophy?

Deserted

Chula has a substantial Philosophy Department. Most faculty have PhDs from abroad.

One faculty member, Soraj Hongladarom, has a paper on the internet that may be of interest: How is Thai Philosophy Possible? http://pioneer.chula...j/web/Thai.html

This is his concluding paragraph:

So Thai philosophy is possible through its consisting of the arguing, discussing activities. Continuity with the past is also important, and plays a strongly formative role. It is what sets the activities occurring in Thailand apart from those of the same type occurring in other cultures. Whatever is distinctive of Thai culture is formative in the sense that it provides a scheme by which talks, debates, concerning deep values take place. However, since the activities themselves are by nature not limited within these horizons, the tradition thus affords only a starting point, a frame of reference which can be adapted or modified by the very members of that tradition themselves. This is just a fancy way of talking that the tradition is alive and responsive to outside developments. In this way, there is no need to be concerned that Thai philosophy in this conception is a break with the tradition or the past. It is merely the tradition itself, but in its active, dynamic role. Thai studies thus become in part an activity of Thais to understand themselves. There is no need to boast that this is the only way to understand Thai culture; in fact foreigners may have a better perspective than we do, since they are not hampered by biases or prejudices that shadow us. But without Thai community reflecting upon itself, trying to see its role in the scheme of things as well as the overall meaning of what there is and what it means to be Thai, then such a community would remain locked within its self-imposed prison of tradition. Thai culture would thus become none better than a show piece in a museum.

Edited by Xangsamhua

Thanks ever so much guys, that's of great help. I've looked at both ABAC and Chula's website before but couldn't find anything on philosophy. Guess I should look again.

If either of you guys have any contact details, please pass them on.

Many thanks.

Thanks ever so much guys, that's of great help. I've looked at both ABAC and Chula's website before but couldn't find anything on philosophy. Guess I should look again.

If either of you guys have any contact details, please pass them on.

Many thanks.

Here you go,the website isn't the easiest to negotiate but if you want any more info the PM me.

http://www.philo-religion.au.edu/