Stinky Loy Krathong

Igor

Just a couple of observations about the Loy Krathong festivities here in Chiang Mai over the last couple of nights. I hadn't gone the past couple of years preferring the safety of my home over kids with fireworks and insufficiently heated khom descending on my head. The streets were absolutely packed with farang and Thais. The lady and I were having a good time.

But I have a suggestion to the farang tourists. Just because you're on vacation in the tropics doesn't mean you don't need to bathe or wash your clothes. A line of tourists (I think I know the nationality but no sense mentioning it) were snaking through the crowd and, as they squeezed past me, I was overcome with the stench of unwashed bodies, liquor and cigarette smoke. It did work in their favor as I noticed they had no sooner moved to the front line than they seemed to have the area all to themselves. After the lady and I had found ourselves another spot further up Thae Pae Road, a very pretty young lady (a differrent nationality) squeezed in beside us and shared with us (and a couple dozen others nearby) an unhealthy dose of $3 a gallon patchouli-based perfume. She then proceeded to lift her camera over head head to snap a photo. Her armpit was about level with my lady's nose. Have you ever seen a lightly brown young Thai lady literally turn green?

We made our way out of the crowd and further yet up the street. We got well ahead of the parade so we got to watch a lot of it over again. The Chiang Mai planners don't seem to plan a lot. Seemed very disorganized and I felt sorry for the participants as they often had to stand in the same place for a long time. And, of course, the farangs allow no stationary costumed Thai to remain alone. Tourists descend on them embracing them, surrounding them and urging friends to take their photos. The paraders stoically smile and often wai. I saw one girl enveloped by a foreigner who was holding a bottle of beer in one hand and a smoke in the other. I'm not sure but I think he tried to kiss her but she finally shook herself free.

Another thing, people: it's bad enough the professional photogs are out in the middle of the action but, if you're not a journo on assignment stay out of the parade. I lost count of how many times the parade was stalled because someone knelt down in front of the marchers to take their pictures. Oh, and another tip: get a real camera. Just because your phone has a 2 megapixel camera does not make you a pro. With a real camera you can stand more than a foot away and still get a good picture of the pretty lady.

Don't want to sound like a curmudgeon. The lady and I had a good time. Still...

Well, you've certainly hit all the high points with this, Igor.

"nationality but no sense mentioning it"

"differrent (sic) nationality"

"$3 a gallon patchouli"

"lightly brown young Thai lady"

"if you're not a journo on an assignment stay out of the parade"

"get a real camera"

I'll speak to the Governor tomorrow and see if we can somehow arrange a more suitable event for your pleasure and discernment next year.:)

I'll speak to the Governor tomorrow and see if we can somehow arrange a more suitable event for your pleasure and discernment next year.:)

I find myself curious as to why you feel my desire to keep nationality out of the discussion bothersome. Or why people who drench themselves in scented oils should not be an object of disdain. Perhaps you enjoy the scent of mouldy armpits and farangs with camera phones running out into the street and inconveniencing thousands of people? My beautiful companion is indeed a lovely shade of light brown and I felt that added some value to the comment that she turned green. And, of course, you had to point out my typo.

Very nice.

I would expect a moderator to post something that adds info to the thread rather than just trying to belittle the OP. I guess moderators are exempt from making useful posts.

And I don't feel small at all.

Bit critical and grumpy !!! Igor

Critical maybe. But lets face it some tourists can be very rude. I was one of those to get his pictur taken with a parader. I how ever made sure the parade was at a stand still. Still a little rude.

This has been my fifth year at this thing. Do they ever have a parade that just keeps on parading. I felt sorry for some of the paraders who had to carry a platform with a person on it. I looked around and could not see any extra bearers to switch off with. B)

On a trip a few years ago had a couple that where well dressed aged about 60, they stunk. I was seated across the isle from them and it was more than noticeable. Was glad to be off the plane however guess who was on the same return flight still smelt as bad but this time not sitting as close.

Haha..you're a good writer, gave me my first laugther today.

I forgot all about it yesterday and went to the Old city last evening. Streets were blocked, it was packed with people..it was hard to get out... I went home as soon as I could (Meechok plaza area) and I enjoyed Loy Kratong from a distance.

'Feel sad because I haven't taken pictures, but then.. I was able to avoid the smells you described! smile.gif

I have always thought that the "original" Loy Krathong festival, celebration,call it what you will, must have been a moving and joyous occasion, quietly undertaken without the need for exploding fireworks for at least the last 3 days/nights .To comment publicly, is of course, to be seen as a dinosaur which I readily admit to. Fellow dinosaurs may well have the same opinion !

Loy Krathong- it's a really happy time of the year is it not?

Peace on earth and good will to all men, wrong festival? :rolleyes:

It used to be. I loved it. Don't bother going any longer. Too many Thai idiots who prefer brawling nowadays, pissed on lao Khao.Our local paddy wagon did very good business shuttling them to the clink.

It was much worse when I first came here. I would lock myself inside for 3 nights as the Thais thought it was amusing to shoot rockets down the street horizontally and throw M80s right behind farangs to scare them.

It is positively civilized now in comparison! fighting0009.gif

I have always thought that the "original" Loy Krathong festival, celebration,call it what you will, must have been a moving and joyous occasion, quietly undertaken without the need for exploding fireworks... .To comment publicly, is of course, to be seen as a dinosaur ...

Imagine how Songkran has changed!

If mcgriffith is to be believed, I guess I am a dinosaur

I have always thought that the "original" Loy Krathong festival, celebration,call it what you will, must have been a moving and joyous occasion, quietly undertaken without the need for exploding fireworks... .To comment publicly, is of course, to be seen as a dinosaur ...

Imagine how Songkran has changed!

If mcgriffith is to be believed, I guess I am a dinosaur

Igor you do sound like an old fart.

Lighten up, if these are your only complaints then you are very lucky.

The late great Good Morning Chiang Mai magazine had an article which interviewed a bunch of masseuses around town about what they thought of tourism, tourists, and interacting with Farang. Was a lovely and different type of article hearing what they had to say about us through their eyes. At the end after all the pleasantries of talking about business and intercultural niceties stuff, they asked if there was an one thing that was difficult about the job or that you wish the tourists knew.... anything that could make their job easier ? One lady tactfully got around tot he subject of cleanliness and body odor and showering - they are there working all day, and then there are the Farang who are hot, sweaty, and sometimes plain old dirty (as they don't do like Thais and bathe a couple times daily and powder down and do anything to avoid smell) who are tempted by air-con and a cheap rub down to come in and relax straight off the street. She cautioned against this. It's most polite to plan your massage and go home and shower and change first, or shower at the place first as you are asking for a massage, not an intimate up-close interaction with your bodily biology (in most cases). Anyway, it was an interesting point she made and I can only imagine all of the polite and body-smell sensitive Thais having to deal with this every day. Oh my ! Gives me respect for them on a new level.

Oh, I live here and I don't like tourists!

Me too. If a Farang sits next to me on the BTS I usually move - there isn't room for two of us and, seriously, cologne is NOT a substitute for an occasional shower. bah.gif

I was ironic :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

The late great Good Morning Chiang Mai magazine had an article which interviewed a bunch of masseuses around town about what they thought of tourism, tourists, and interacting with Farang. ............ Anyway, it was an interesting point she made and I can only imagine all of the polite and body-smell sensitive Thais having to deal with this every day. Oh my ! Gives me respect for them on a new level.

My husband used to go for a weekly deep tissue massage when we lived in Australia. One day he came home and said the therapist had put a sign up requesting all clients to shower before coming to the clinic for treatment. He was shocked. I've seen him be almost late for his appointments because he had to rush home and shower and spray and put clean clothes on before he could go. I think he just assumed that everybody has the same standards. It gave him a whole new respect for those in the massage/physiotherapy profession. I certainly know that you couldn't pay me enough money to do that job........

I've noticed that despite some Thais looking scruffy, they don't usually smell, while tidier farang often do. Maybe it's something to do with a meatier diet and being unused to the heat? Not being offensive here, but my son says he sometimes asks his clean kiwi mates to shower as he's not used to their stronger odour in his home.

When he first came and lived in cheap backpacking areas, he found their smell quite overwhelming.