B-Quik'S N2

rics21

was at B Quik the other day saw the advertisement on the benefit of filling your tires with nitrogen instead of air. Considering I fill my tires with air and don't have much of a problem constantly refilling them, what is the straight dope on nitrogen in car tires?

the B quik sales person tole me that filling my tires with nitrogen mainly does two things:

1. it eliminates moisture, and significantly reduces the rate at which compressed gas diffuses through porous tire walls. theoretically, a tire filled with nitrogen retains optimal pressure longer, leading to more uniform tire wear and better FUEL EFFICIENCY. The commonly quoted figure is that tires inflated to 32 psi get 3 percent better mileage than at 24 psi.

with less humidity, wheels have lesser risk getting RUST.

2. Combustion, nitrogen doesn't support combustion, which is one reason aircraft and the space shuttle use nitrogen in their tires. the tires will have lesser risk of getting burst on the highway.

some details:

http://www.getnitrogen.org/savebillions/index.php

so anyone here tried the N2 in Tires?

Yes, long debates about this have been had with no conclusion drawn, just an agreement to disagree..Personally save for the inconvenience of filling tires with Nitrogen not having it available everywhere and additional, minimal cost but cost none the less, the performance, tire wear and consistency IS much better with...

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yes " Warby " :rolleyes: is right, I mention about Nitrogen in tyres now and again just for a laugh as many people say there is no benefit but I disagree with them because I do benefit from it.

If they were only to try it they would realize and see for themselves.

Some go on about the costs, some go off on lessons on chemistry.

When my slick tyres were causing concern I decided I needed new tyres, which I ending up getting from " Cockpit " they went on about this and that, I didn't believe them either but when you buy new tyres from " Cockpit " you get gas free for the life of the tyres, and checks free too.

Also I think and found once again for the non-believers that it's good for the spare tyre too.

As with everything the proof of the pudding is in the eating, on checking my tyres every week like I use to do they were staying constantly at the correct pressure, now I only check about every three months and if passing a " Cockpit " anytime I get them to check em.

I have found it to be good stuff and now put gas in my wifes little Yaris which needed constance checking but don't now. They took the tyres off the Yaris cleaned them up and the rims, spare as well refitted and gassed them up, that cost me 120 baht. For those who don't like gas :bah: :bah: and for me I'm :lol::D :jap:.

Save your money. Normal air is 80% nitrogen and I would be very very surprised if anyone would notice a difference in a blind test.

That's the problem a blind test isn't definitive as it's over time that makes the difference.. It's a cumulative effect...

Kwasaki agreeing with me is gonna get you some flack you know ;) ?? :hit-the-fan:

Edited by WarpSpeed

Save your money. Normal air is 80% nitrogen and I would be very very surprised if anyone would notice a difference in a blind test.

That's the problem a blind test isn't definitive as it's over time that makes the difference.. It's a cumulative effect...

Kwasaki agreeing with me is gonna get you some flack you know ;) ?? :hit-the-fan:

Yes!! he wouldn't get flack from me, cheap skate's like something free but I like to contribute to Thailand's wealth, my helicopter, my Lear-jet 36A with the upgraded engines and my 747 all use nitrogen in tyres that has nothing to do with blind tests it is a fact not an ignorant statement.

But as my mother use to say ignorants is bliss.:whistling:

I was treated to a fill of Nitrogen on a new set of track tyres. It was the first time and i was expecting as the theory proclainmed for the tyre pressure not to increase when the tyres got hot. I was disapointed as the pressure did increase. I didn't bother with Nitrogen again.

I was treated to a fill of Nitrogen on a new set of track tyres. It was the first time and i was expecting as the theory proclainmed for the tyre pressure not to increase when the tyres got hot. I was disapointed as the pressure did increase. I didn't bother with Nitrogen again.

Who proclaimed the tire pressure not increasing?? It increases but not nearly as much and whereas regular air continues to get hotter and expand more, nitrogen stabilizes at a maximum temp far lower then plain air and does not continue to increase so maybe it was the operators lack of understanding and unrealistic expectations :rolleyes::whistling: .. Wouldn't be the first time, of course you probably used it in a 5 or 8 lap race too in which case it's benefits are not as dramatic as it is over a longer stretch. As was stated earlier "it's a cumulative effect" and a few laps is not cumulative..

But that's ok you continue to use your air I love an edge on the track and maybe we'll meet out there some time and I'll wave at you on the way by!!

Too bad they don't allow FWD in the European classic series there are plenty of them around that are considered every bit as classic, but I understand that the RWD guys don't want to be embarrassed and have a chance to win at something on occasion :lol: ...

Who proclaimed the tire pressure not increasing?? It increases but not nearly as much and whereas regular air continues to get hotter and expand more, nitrogen stabilizes at a maximum temp far lower then plain air and does not continue to increase so maybe it was the operators lack of understanding and unrealistic expectations :rolleyes::whistling: .. Wouldn't be the first time, of course you probably used it in a 5 or 8 lap race too in which case it's benefits are not as dramatic as it is over a longer stretch. As was stated earlier "it's a cumulative effect" and a few laps is not cumulative..

But that's ok you continue to use your air I love an edge on the track and maybe we'll meet out there some time and I'll wave at you on the way by!!

Too bad they don't allow FWD in the European classic series there are plenty of them around that are considered every bit as classic, but I understand that the RWD guys don't want to be embarrassed and have a chance to win at something on occasion :lol: ...

I saw the same rise in pressure as the air. Wasnt sure sure if it was due to a poor nitrogen mix. I may well try it again when I am better equiped and hav more time to study.

You are able to run FWD in retro (Pre '84 or '86, I cant remember), we have Minis running with us. It would be the Open RWD that they can't run in for obvious reasons.

look forward to seeing you there, nest round is 11th & 12th at Bira.

I saw the same rise in pressure as the air. Wasnt sure sure if it was due to a poor nitrogen mix. I may well try it again when I am better equiped and hav more time to study.

You are able to run FWD in retro (Pre '84 or '86, I cant remember), we have Minis running with us. It would be the Open RWD that they can't run in for obvious reasons.

There is a class which older FWD can compete besides Super 2000 for exmaple? Good to hear thanks for the heads up I was told no go. Unfortunately I won't be there, have nothing to drive yet :( still working on that, if it doesn't happen this year I'm outta here I've got nothing left to prove..

Definitely wouldn't give up on trying it, it took us about 6 months to find the real benefits mostly from older tires that have been heat cycled a couple of times and in enduro races in both cases you get more mileage, better longevity and more even heat cycles out of them which doesn't hurt the wallet.. Same tire brand with only the nitrogen versus air difference, we used it for about 7 years before coming here having used air for the previous 4 or 5 years so a wealth of long term empirical experience to apply.

All too often people discount the difference that one extra pound of air can make in a given tire in terms of handling it's that precise when you have Hp and modification limitations to most it's more Hp, more Hp, and discount proper suspension and handling. My background is from a series that emphasizes that, being only able to make tire pressure adjustments in an entirely stock class and being able to do that effectively is what separates the Champions from the also-rans and there is very limited track time with which to make the right adjustments & analyze the track as well as at different times of the day which also means different track conditions to anticipate..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Anyone wanting to carry on with air fine but the whole idea is the 20% that makes the difference and if people never want to experience the difference fine.

The thing is, it don't cost me money and because the place I bought tyres from don't charge me, or any of there other outlets around Thailand.

They've even give a sticker for my wife's car and they don't charge her either for checks.:D

Anyone wanting to carry on with air fine but the whole idea ws the 20% that makes the difference and if people never want to experience the difference fine.

The thing is, it don't cost me money and because the place I bought tyres from don't charge me, or any of there other outlets around Thailand.

They've even give a sticker for my wife's car and they don't charge her either for checks.:D

where was it?

Anyone wanting to carry on with air fine but the whole idea ws the 20% that makes the difference and if people never want to experience the difference fine.

where was it?

When my slick tyres were causing concern I decided I needed new tyres, which I ending up getting from " Cockpit " they went on about this and that, I didn't believe them either but when you buy new tyres from " Cockpit " you get gas free for the life of the tyres, and checks free too.

He mentioned Cockpit but I think that B-quick also offers the same service though I'm certain someone will correct me if I'm wrong?

Edited by WarpSpeed

anyone here know of the cost of filling up the tires with nitrogen without changing the tires. I wanna just to fill them up with nitrogen.

so if it like per tire per time? is there any per month or per year package or whatever?

Actually I was going to ask about the rules for the retro class but now I took better notice of the dates of manufacture and that's not going to cut it.. Why can't we run similar age models as the classic euro class :annoyed: ??

There's a host of FWD euro models that could compete, off the top of my head, Alfa's, Citroen, Peugeot, VW, SEAT.........

Edited by WarpSpeed

anyone here know of the cost of filling up the tires with nitrogen without changing the tires. I wanna just to fill them up with nitrogen.

so if it like per tire per time? is there any per month or per year package or whatever?

From the same post as was previously quoted.

They took the tyres off the Yaris cleaned them up and the rims' date=' spare as well refitted and gassed them up, that cost me 120 baht.[/quote']

went to cockpit, it cost me 200 baht to get the tires filled with nitrogen. mines pajero sport.

The "Cockpit " I use is in Sukhothai and run as a family franchise.

l go to them for sevicing the vehicles to.

Edited by Kwasaki

it's only 200 thb for a 24 months free service on the tires. most of us spend more than 200 thb on a single meal.

Complete waste of money!!! Fraud even :whistling: !!!! :rolleyes:

Think you'll get more then 200b worth of extra fuel mileage or extended tire wear out of the life of the tires for that 200b invested?

So do I......................... :whistling:

Edited by WarpSpeed

it's only 200 thb for a 24 months free service on the tires. most of us spend more than 200 thb on a single meal.

Think you'll get more then 200b worth of extra fuel mileage or extended tire wear out of the life of the tires for that 200b invested?

i mean cockpit will have a limited-guarantee if my tire burst due to increased pressure of the nitrogen in the tires.

and they will fill up my tires with nitrogen & check them for the next 2 years for free, at all their outlets all over the country.

anyway i hate to refill the tires myself, and i dont seems to trust the pump attendants. its 200thb for 2 years of convenience at the cockpit just across the estate where i m staying.

i mean cockpit will have a limited-guarantee if my tire burst due to increased pressure of the nitrogen in the tires.

and they will fill up my tires with nitrogen & check them for the next 2 years for free, at all their outlets all over the country.

anyway i hate to refill the tires myself, and i dont seems to trust the pump attendants. its 200thb for 2 years of convenience at the cockpit just across the estate where i m staying.

:o I think I've been agreeing with you throughout this entire thread. I even put the smilies in there to support that... The whole post was meant in sarcasm....

:o I think I've been agreeing with you throughout this entire thread. I even put the smilies in there to support that... The whole post was meant in sarcasm....

:rolleyes: