Schengen Family Reunion Visa Spain For Thai Wife

I have just got married and I want my wife to apply for a family reunion schengen visa for spain.

I have my spanish documentation (NIE and residencia).

I visited the Spanish embassy web site and downloaded an application form , it appears to be an application for a visitors visa.

Does anyone know if the Spanish use just this one form for all visa applications ?

Any advice on the requirements and documentation on this type of application and how long its likely to take ?

Would be good to know before we travel to BKK from CM.

many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

sorry mate, are you Spanish?

reason for asking is that if you are, then you would have to be in residence in a

different EU country to obtain a free EU family permit.

if you are Spanish and resident in Spain, then you would need the visitors visa for Spain. (not free.

by the way, the family permit is not just for visiting, it is as good as a settlement visa, as soon as she gets it she can then travel with you to the EU for upto 5 years, including your own country.

regarding which form to use, i suggest calling the Spanish embassy for advice.

reason for asking is that if you are, then you would have to be in residence in a

if you are Spanish and resident in Spain, then you would need the visitors visa for Spain. (not free.

by the way, the family permit is not just for visiting, it is as good as a settlement visa, as soon as she gets it she can then travel with you to the EU for upto 5 years, including your own country.

thanks for the reply, I am a Brit who has lived 5 years in Spain.

I have contacted the SP Embassy and the visa is free, but they want lots of documents, police and health check , evidence of support for a year , and a certificate from UK Embassy to say marriageis legal in UK (that has cost over 2K Baht from good old money grabbing Brit FO). So getting there , thanks for the interest

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the reply, I am a Brit who has lived 5 years in Spain.

I have contacted the SP Embassy and the visa is free, but they want lots of documents, police and health check , evidence of support for a year , and a certificate from UK Embassy to say marriageis legal in UK (that has cost over 2K Baht from good old money grabbing Brit FO). So getting there , thanks for the interest

Good luck, it takes some time and money and nerves. Not, sure but I think you will need Schengen visa too if you want to live long term in Spain, no?

No, he will not need a visa as he is an EU citizen exercising his treaty rights to live in another EU country; which is why the visa for his wife is free.

exactly right

I am still not certain that the wife once she has her residencia , will be able to freely travel to the Uk. i think it is unlikely.

Actually, it is possible.

EUN2.14 Can family members of British citizens qualify for an EEA family permit? ('Surinder Singh' cases)

Because EEA nationals have an initial three months right of residence in the UK, there is no requirement for the British national to be a qualified person on arrival. Therefore, an EEA family permit can be issued to the non-EEA national family member of a British national even if they are only visiting the UK with the British national before returning to the Member State where they are resident

It may be possible that her Spanish residence is enough provided she was traveling with you (strictly speaking it should be), but I'd recommend obtaining a Family Permit from the British embassy to be sure. It will be free.