UK Language Testing For Spousal Immigrants Starts Monday

Before this thread gets closed: the language test is held once a month in Bangkok and costs Baht 3,500, this means that Settlement Visa applicants will need to plan ahead and secure a place on a test well in advance.

I was under the impression from reading this forum that this new test would cost the applicant 6000bht to take?

I just booked a seat on the BKK course for a friend on 4 December, Baht 3,500.

Thanks for confirming the cost of the test. They must have now reduced the cost because I read on a post on TV recently that the pre test was 1000baht and the A1 test was 6000baht.

Just for clarity, is 3,500 the cost of the test itself, or the cost of a pre-test course?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I booked the course for my friend this week I was told I had to pay Baht 3,500 for the course and this was subsequently paid at Bangkok Bank. I was also told that there was an optional course held the day preceding the test which would cost Baht 1,200, something about it being a study course for the test itself but I declined - I got the idea that the extra study day was just them trying to sell on extra studies/material.

There is no new test. Just a requiremen to be at a certain level of English.

Just take the TOEIC test which costs 1200 baht, no need to pay over the odds.

There are many different tests that could be taken and no such thing as the "new a1 English test" with fixed price.

There are many different tests that could be taken and no such thing as the "new a1 English test" with fixed price.

True, except that proof of having reached A1 level in Thailand must be supplied by a UK Borders Authority approved school and at present there are only two, one in Bangkok and one in Chiang Mai and the cost there is Baht 3,500.

True, except that proof of having reached A1 level in Thailand must be supplied by a UK Borders Authority approved school and at present there are only two, one in Bangkok and one in Chiang Mai and the cost there is Baht 3,500.

The certificate must be issued by a "...test provider [who has] been assessed as meeting the UK Border Agency’s requirements for testing English at A1 level in Thailand."

Currently there are five test providers operating in Thailand, with test centres in the usual places: Bangkok, Chiangmai, Pattaya etc.

http://www.vfs-uk-th.com/images/2010_11_17_A1_Testing.pdf

TOEIC is the cheapest, at only 1200 Baht is is perfectly acceptable for any visa application with an English language requirement (expect study courses with a work placement), as long as the correct score is achieved (obviously).

Everyone should remember that the requirement for a visa applicant to demonstrate their English language level is not a new thing - it has been in Tier 4 for a good while now. How do you think Tier 4 applicants demonstrate their level of English? They certainly are not limited to only two testing centres and one type of test at a fixed price!

Now I'm really confused, my friend is booked into TOEIC in Bangkok on the 4th of December and the cost paid was Baht 3,500, why do you think TOEIC is only Baht 1,200? And yes I was incorrect when I said only two schools, I had intended to say only two locations although I now note that Pattaya is a third (Note: I live in Phuket where there are none).

Now I'm really confused, my friend is booked into TOEIC in Bangkok on the 4th of December and the cost paid was Baht 3,500, why do you think TOEIC is only Baht 1,200? And yes I was incorrect when I said only two schools, I had intended to say only two locations although I now note that Pattaya is a third (Note: I live in Phuket where there are none).

You're not the only one who is confused ! Bangkockney seems to have his facts a little messed up. I have had a look at the TOEIC info, and they appear to offer two tests ( if I am reading their stuff correctly ). One test is for listening and reading. The other test is for speaking and writing. So, for the purposes of the UKBA required test pass, which is for listening and speaking, you would have to take both of the TOEIC tests. One of the TOEIC tests costs 1,500 Baht, and the other costs 3,500 baht.

Now, I have probably got all my facts wrong, but that is what I see. Maybe Bangkockney can correct me ( he ususally does ).

For your own purposes ( or your friend's ), if you have booked only one of the tests, it may not fulfill the UKBA listening and speaking requirement. This is an extract from the TOEIC policy :

"I have attached two (2) general policy papers for you which outline our test policies, procedures and fee structures for both the TOEIC® Listening & Reading and the TOEIC® Speaking & Writing Public (or monthly) tests.

The TOEIC® Listening & Reading Public test program is run on a fixed schedule (which can be found on our website ... see attachments for our link) in both our Bangkok and our Chiangmai (Northern region) test centers.

The TOEIC® Speaking & Writing Public test program is also run on a fixed schedule (which can be found on our website ... see attachments for our link) in our Bangkok test center only."

In addition to those approved testers currently shown on the VFS website, English Test Centres has now been approved by the UKBA as an overseas test provider. English Test Centres are awaiting addition to the list by VFS Global. You can obtain details of English Test Centres test dates ( and Pre-test seminar dates, if required ) by accessing our own website - www.visas-plus.com . English Test Centres are currently charging 6,000 baht for the test, which can be taken in Bangkok or Pattaya, but you do only have to take one test, rather than two with TOEIC.

If I have given wrong information, or misrepresented any facts, I apologise. I await correction.

I've had a chat with the TOEIC folks in Bangkok and more data emerges, it seems that thus far almost everyone is correct though doubtless there's more hidden gems to come!

There is indeed two parts to the test, the first is Reading & Listening which is held almost daily at TOEIC and the cost of this test is Baht 1,200. However, as VisaPlus has pointed out the UK Embassy requires more than that hence the need to attend the Speaking & Writing test and this is held monthly at a cost of Baht 3,500. The results from the first test are available in about three working days, the results from the second test are available two weeks later. Fortunately my friend has booked both parts of the test albeit only one of the tests has been paid for and the second test (which is public and does not require a reservation) is paid for at the time it is taken.

I've had a look at some sample material on the TOEIC website and my take is that the combination of the four tests represents a level much higher than just a simple A1 although I am far from being an expert on these things, more data as it presents itself!

Your last sentence is quite right. A1 is survival level language ability, whereas TOEIC is aimed quite a bit higher. The TOEIC scoring system is not pass/fail and although I don't know what score UK immigration want, because it tests at a much higher level, any meaningful score is going to be more difficult to get (though whether or not that's a problem obviously depends on your partner's abilities).

Edited by SweeneyAgonistes

Your last sentence is quite right. A1 is survival level language ability, whereas TOEIC is aimed quite a bit higher. The TOEIC scoring system is not pass/fail and although I don't know what score UK immigration want, because it tests at a much higher level, any meaningful score is going to be more difficult to get (though whether or not that's a problem obviously depends on your partner's abilities).

Yes you are right, I think it's important that people understand that point. Now that I understand the subject more fully it seems that TOEIC testing is used to assess a range of proficiency levels across the four main areas of testing, reading, writing, listening and speaking. But for visa purposes and A1 certification, if that's the correct term, only basic levels of speaking and listening are required - it will be interesting to find out what the TOEIC pass level is that equates to A1. But as my friend pointed out, it's going to be a useful exercise to undergo advanced testing such as this because the longer term requirement is to study to a more advanced level any way and who knows, the TOEIC results might just provide a pleasant surprise.

Anyway, bottom line on testing cost seems to be Baht 3,500 plus Baht 1,200 plus travel costs.

Yes you are right, I think it's important that people understand that point. Now that I understand the subject more fully it seems that TOEIC testing is used to assess a range of proficiency levels across the four main areas of testing, reading, writing, listening and speaking. But for visa purposes and A1 certification, if that's the correct term, only basic levels of speaking and listening are required - it will be interesting to find out what the TOEIC pass level is that equates to A1. But as my friend pointed out, it's going to be a useful exercise to undergo advanced testing such as this because the longer term requirement is to study to a more advanced level any way and who knows, the TOEIC results might just provide a pleasant surprise.

Anyway, bottom line on testing cost seems to be Baht 3,500 plus Baht 1,200 plus travel costs.

Thanks for the clarification, and thanks for contacting TOEIC. Bangkockney has gone quiet. Let's hope he accepts the clarification this time.

By the way, the figures they gave me are 3,500 and 1,500 ( not 1,200 ).

Edited by VisasPlus

This time? Lol And no apologies for having a life away from TV - you should try it VP!

I was posting from memory and the 1200 quoted was correct. However I hadn't remembered that the units were split. TOEIC's good for other routes though.

TOEIC grades right down to beginner hence it's suitability. It is not a robust academic test of English unlike others i.e. it won't be accepted by the majority of UK universities.

You need a score of 120 in L and R and 80 in S and W to be at CEFR A1.

Edited by bangkockney

So if my Heineken-addled brain has got this right, candidates can sign up for 2 TOIEC tests at a total cost of 5000baht, but they may be much more difficult to pass than the "A1" Speaking and listening test provided by the companies listed on the UKBA website.

I suspect that the majority of sponsors will settle for paying for whatever the basic test requires so as to start the process to get them to the UK and take their chances with the Life in the UK Test etc once they're there.

You're not the only one who is confused ! Bangkockney seems to have his facts a little messed up. I have had a look at the TOEIC info, and they appear to offer two tests ( if I am reading their stuff correctly ). One test is for listening and reading. The other test is for speaking and writing. So, for the purposes of the UKBA required test pass, which is for listening and speaking, you would have to take both of the TOEIC tests. One of the TOEIC tests costs 1,500 Baht, and the other costs 3,500 baht.

Now, I have probably got all my facts wrong, but that is what I see. Maybe Bangkockney can correct me ( he ususally does ).

For your own purposes ( or your friend's ), if you have booked only one of the tests, it may not fulfill the UKBA listening and speaking requirement. This is an extract from the TOEIC policy :

"I have attached two (2) general policy papers for you which outline our test policies, procedures and fee structures for both the TOEIC® Listening & Reading and the TOEIC® Speaking & Writing Public (or monthly) tests.

The TOEIC® Listening & Reading Public test program is run on a fixed schedule (which can be found on our website ... see attachments for our link) in both our Bangkok and our Chiangmai (Northern region) test centers.

The TOEIC® Speaking & Writing Public test program is also run on a fixed schedule (which can be found on our website ... see attachments for our link) in our Bangkok test center only."

In addition to those approved testers currently shown on the VFS website, English Test Centres has now been approved by the UKBA as an overseas test provider. English Test Centres are awaiting addition to the list by VFS Global. You can obtain details of English Test Centres test dates ( and Pre-test seminar dates, if required ) by accessing our own website - www.visas-plus.com . English Test Centres are currently charging 6,000 baht for the test, which can be taken in Bangkok or Pattaya, but you do only have to take one test, rather than two with TOEIC.

If I have given wrong information, or misrepresented any facts, I apologise. I await correction.

You have been corrected multiple times by multiple posters over the last month.

So if my Heineken-addled brain has got this right, candidates can sign up for 2 TOIEC tests at a total cost of 5000baht, but they may be much more difficult to pass than the "A1" Speaking and listening test provided by the companies listed on the UKBA website.

I suspect that the majority of sponsors will settle for paying for whatever the basic test requires so as to start the process to get them to the UK and take their chances with the Life in the UK Test etc once they're there.

Not really, an A1 pass mark is an A1 pass, regardless of whose test it is, on that basis the TOEIC test will be no harder than any other to achieve an A1 grade. The potential upside to the TOEIC course is that the applicant may find they achieve a passing grade equal to say C2 which means they will require less tuition going forward than they might otherwise have thought. But I do have to agree, the easier and most cost effective way for visa applicants will be to go for the bare bones A1 test.

You have been corrected multiple times by multiple posters over the last month.

I take it that by "multiple" you mean by you and Desertexile ? Hardly multiple, apart from the fact that it is more than one.

I'm not sure " corrected" is the right term. I think you mean, listened to your opinions.

As previously, no more correspondence with you.

Interesting debate now about which test to take. My opinion is that if the candidate already has a good grasp of English they are better off taking a test which provides them the most benefit. IELTS is probably best as it provides the most flexibility for future use: employers love it and it would allow study with no further testing required, should the correct score be achieved. Or TOEIC but choice of study course becomes limited.

However, I agree that for candidates whose English is closer to beginner, simply meeting the requirement allowing the visa application process to progress is the more likely - and probably better - option.

Edited by bangkockney

Interesting debate now about which test to take. My opinion is that if the candidate already has a good grasp of English they are better off taking a test which provides them the most benefit. IELTS is probably best as it provides the most flexibility for future use: employers love it and it would allow study with no further testing required, should the correct score be achieved. Or TOEIC but choice of study course becomes limited.

However, I agree that for candidates whose English is closer to beginner, simply meeting the requirement allowing the visa application process to progress is the more likely - and probably better - option.

So, which tests ( and with whom & where) would be better for those with a lesser grasp of English?? I mean, for those who wish only to get the A1 approved pass for visa reasons and nothing more.

So, which tests ( and with whom & where) would be better for those with a lesser grasp of English?? I mean, for those who wish only to get the A1 approved pass for visa reasons and nothing more.

Have a look at our website www.visas-plus.com under A1 test. Tests ( and Pre-test seminars) are held by English Test Centres in Bangkok and Pattaya. There are other agencies that carry the test in Thailand.

It was actually Labour Government policy and due to come in before the current lot came to power, though I seem to remember that the current government brought the implementation forward, not 100% sure though.

To be fair it really is a low standard and anyone intending to settle in the UK should really achieve the required standard without any difficulty, though there is the added expense.

Hello M8 The old Git - really? Have you ried answering the questions in ''Life in the UK''?

I suggest you tell us all how you farte when you try them. -

Don ( Another OLDER Git)

A BIG word of caution re TOEIC testing in Bangkok. My friend and I traveled from Phuket to BKK yesterday and my friend has gone to take the test this morning. Despite us having prepaid the test, spoken to the test centre several times and confirmed with them verbally that my friend has a confirmed reservation, TOEIC has told her that she does not have a reservation and therefore cannot sit the test! We have argued the case and produced copies of all the paperwork, including a screen print of the computerized reservation but all of this counts for nothing, we are now in the mode of trying to get out\r Baht 3,500 back and to cut out\r losses. To say we are p*ssed off is an understatement, I guess we'll come up with a plan B for all of this, once we get home tomorrow.

there is no such thing as an 'A1 test'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's pretty clear that what's being discussed here is approved certification of English language ability, at or greater than A1 level, no need to be pedantic.

Its not a case of being pedantic. More so that people without the insight you have read this and then seek information from UKBA or training providers to take 'the A1 test' when there is no such test. Yes, its clear to me and you but not to Skegness Steve who has just fallen in love after his 3 weeks in Pattaya.

Its not a case of being pedantic. More so that people without the insight you have read this and then seek information from UKBA or training providers to take 'the A1 test' when there is no such test. Yes, its clear to me and you but not to Skegness Steve who has just fallen in love after his 3 weeks in Pattaya.

Who is exactly the type of person who might need a Visa Agent, is he not? :rolleyes:;):D

RAZZ

Life is cruel and arguably even more harsh on fools, so when Skegness Steve ponders what a test on the great north road has to do with his future love life, I'm happy to sit back and smile, I think UKBA does similar and has probably organised such things purposely.