American Football

ChuckZ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He played great of course and all Eagles fans are very happy after THAT game, aye?

Not much went wrong at all.

DeSean was super as well as Westy and McNabb. Nice game.

The same for the Cowboys vs the Browns. The OL controlled the game for the Cowboys who ended the game in the red zone with Romo taking a knee.

Sorry to hear about Brady. Romo got speared and took several stitches in his face during the game (no penalty was called). The game is getting rougher these days.

Next week, Eagles at Cowboys. Another tough one.

Tom Brady, it appears, is gone for the season. No need to comment on the importance of that. But I do have some comments on the injury, and the likely future for the Patriots this season.

First, on the hit. There was an eery similarity of the hit on Brady to the hit that Wilfork was fined for last season. The difference is the Wilfork WAS, in fact, pushed toward the QB. They claimed that he could have changed his direction. On this hit, the defender was NOT pushed, but made the lunge to Brady's leg totally under his own power. It was, without a doubt, an illegal hit, according to the NFL rules. Let's see how the league office treats it.

Whatever the case on that, it obviously won't change the condition of Brady's knee. From what we've seen in slo-mo and stills, and what we've heard from several sources, it appears almost certain that he is gone for the season. I have always stated my regret when ANY player is seriously injured in this game. I don't have to tell anyone how much more it hurts when is the best player in the history of the Patriots.

The Pats coaching staff now faces the greatest challenge of their years with this team. I will say that the signing of Lamont Jordan, and next week's return of Kevin Faulk, are plusses for them, as the team will now place much greater emphasis on the run that it would have with Brady at QB. We need to get Ben Watson back onto the field too, to give Cassel more short passing options. Look for lots of screens, and flat and swing passes to the RBs to come into the game plans.

I was, to say the least, pleased with the way that Cassel, after that horrific pre-season, stepped in and performed to get us the win. But, let's face it, the Chiefs are not exactly "Playoff caliber" competition. The Patriots immediately made the call to bring Chris Simms in for a look. If they sign him, it will be interesting to see whether he can beat out Cassel, or just serves as a vet backup, since our #3 QB is the rookie, O'Connell.

To be honest, I was a bit laid back about the regular season this year. I basically assumed that we'd make the playoffs, and was anxious to just get to it. I'm certainly not laid back about it now. It will, if nothing else, be interesting to see if Matt Cassel really can cut it as a starting QB - a job he hasn't had since high school!

Oh yeah. One more thing. This SUCKS!

George

Tom Brady, it appears, is gone for the season. No need to comment on the importance of that. But I do have some comments on the injury, and the likely future for the Patriots this season.

First, on the hit. There was an eery similarity of the hit on Brady to the hit that Wilfork was fined for last season. The difference is the Wilfork WAS, in fact, pushed toward the QB. They claimed that he could have changed his direction. On this hit, the defender was NOT pushed, but made the lunge to Brady's leg totally under his own power. It was, without a doubt, an illegal hit, according to the NFL rules. Let's see how the league office treats it.

Whatever the case on that, it obviously won't change the condition of Brady's knee. From what we've seen in slo-mo and stills, and what we've heard from several sources, it appears almost certain that he is gone for the season. I have always stated my regret when ANY player is seriously injured in this game. I don't have to tell anyone how much more it hurts when is the best player in the history of the Patriots.

The Pats coaching staff now faces the greatest challenge of their years with this team. I will say that the signing of Lamont Jordan, and next week's return of Kevin Faulk, are plusses for them, as the team will now place much greater emphasis on the run that it would have with Brady at QB. We need to get Ben Watson back onto the field too, to give Cassel more short passing options. Look for lots of screens, and flat and swing passes to the RBs to come into the game plans.

I was, to say the least, pleased with the way that Cassel, after that horrific pre-season, stepped in and performed to get us the win. But, let's face it, the Chiefs are not exactly "Playoff caliber" competition. The Patriots immediately made the call to bring Chris Simms in for a look. If they sign him, it will be interesting to see whether he can beat out Cassel, or just serves as a vet backup, since our #3 QB is the rookie, O'Connell.

To be honest, I was a bit laid back about the regular season this year. I basically assumed that we'd make the playoffs, and was anxious to just get to it. I'm certainly not laid back about it now. It will, if nothing else, be interesting to see if Matt Cassel really can cut it as a starting QB - a job he hasn't had since high school!

Oh yeah. One more thing. This SUCKS!

George

Not the circumstances we'd like of course, but we'll get to see Cassel's first regular season start since HIGH SCHOOL next week! Gonna be tough. The Jets on the road are always tough for us, and they have an axe to grind from last year (and more, of course). I've got surreal levels of reality-suspension software in my head, so I have this highly plausible (to me anyway) dream of Cassel getting us to the bye week either 2-1 or 3-0 and Tom getting his mojo back. If it truly is that bad, then of course I want him off the field for the entire year, but I can dream.

I think with their schedule, their coach, and the remaining staff, the Pats will make the playoffs, they've just gone from strong contenders and maybe SB favorites to one of the pack, maybe second level SB contenders, which is fine by me, I guess. Not like I have a choice.

Not the circumstances we'd like of course, but we'll get to see Cassel's first regular season start since HIGH SCHOOL next week! Gonna be tough. The Jets on the road are always tough for us, and they have an axe to grind from last year (and more, of course). I've got surreal levels of reality-suspension software in my head, so I have this highly plausible (to me anyway) dream of Cassel getting us to the bye week either 2-1 or 3-0 and Tom getting his mojo back. If it truly is that bad, then of course I want him off the field for the entire year, but I can dream.

I think with their schedule, their coach, and the remaining staff, the Pats will make the playoffs, they've just gone from strong contenders and maybe SB favorites to one of the pack, maybe second level SB contenders, which is fine by me, I guess. Not like I have a choice.

Well, if you're really going to reach the top level of that reality suspension software, you have to imagine a deja vu of 2001; when, in the first game of the season, Mo Lewis smashed into Drew Bledsoe, nearly killing him. Patriot nation moaned that the season was over, as we were left with only a 6th round draft pick, who had been a backup for most of his college career at Michigan, and had never started an NFL game. "Who the h*ll is Tom Brady?!"

Can Matt Cassel repeat the Brady miracle? Now there's a reality straining Hollywood storyline waiting to be told!

But, let's face it, the Chiefs are not exactly "Playoff caliber" competition.

That's being generous. KC was riding a nine-game losing streak, from last season, and has a boat-load of rookies.

Belichick should have left Brady on his weekly injury report, as he had done for every game over the past five years. :o

9-7 would be an amazing achievement, and that's with potentially the easiest schedule in the NFL.

That was my original post mentioning about Woodstock, but only read about it, never went last year. What was/is your impression of the place, either as a pub in general, or as a venue for watching NFL football???

Hi jfchandler,

IMHO the atmos, music and menu are to my satisfaction, as I go there quite regularly. As for the third floor viewing room, the couch there is really comfortable and the atmos is great if there's a decent crowd of people, though I can't comment on the NFL, I have only watched football(soccer) there. EG, if you have a group of friends, it can feel like your living room with a projector, comfy couch and fxb service.

fyi, updating an issue of radio broadcast streaming of NFL games....

I had no problem during the past weekend here in BKK (first of the regular season) listening to the local (home market) radio broadcasts of the Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers games... No blackout or out-of-U.S. IP address problems.

Raiders games are on http://www.ksfo560.com/

49ers games are on http://www.1077thebone.com/

But even better, re televised games, was able to watch today's ESPN Monday night football doubeheader (Vikings v. Green Bay and Oakland v. Denver) at http://www.justin.tv/sportcenter3/

The latter is a link off of the broader Internet streaming site....

http://www.myp2p.eu/competition.php?&c...mericanfootball

But, let's face it, the Chiefs are not exactly "Playoff caliber" competition.

That's being generous. KC was riding a nine-game losing streak, from last season, and has a boat-load of rookies.

Belichick should have left Brady on his weekly injury report, as he had done for every game over the past five years. :o

9-7 would be an amazing achievement, and that's with potentially the easiest schedule in the NFL.

I think they'll go 10-6 and maybe win the division. It's just all up in the air, though, isn't it?

So how did the games stream over NFL Gamepass over the weekend? Was it smooth as their demo is?

Please, anyone who has NFL Gamepass tell us what the quality was like and what kind of connection you have.

Thanks

PS I'm watching Dev vs. Oak live right now (Tuesday). They played both the Sun night game and the Mon night game. Go ASTRO. Last year, TrueVisions would show all 4 games but now it appears they are only showing the 1st and 2nd games on Sundays but ASTRO is picking up the slack.

But I need to know about NFL Gamepass before I buy!

So how did the games stream over NFL Gamepass over the weekend? Was it smooth as their demo is?

Please, anyone who has NFL Gamepass tell us what the quality was like and what kind of connection you have.

Thanks

PS I'm watching Dev vs. Oak live right now (Tuesday). They played both the Sun night game and the Mon night game. Go ASTRO. Last year, TrueVisions would show all 4 games but now it appears they are only showing the 1st and 2nd games on Sundays but ASTRO is picking up the slack.

I watched 3-1/2 games 'live' (Giants-Redskins on Friday morning; Patriots-Chiefs at 00:00 Monday; 1/2 of the Chargers-Panthers at 03:15 Monday; Broncos-Raiders now). Picture quality was just fine for those first 2-1/2 games. It has been horrible (fuzzy, hesitation) for the game that started at 09:15 this morning.

The key, as I thought would be the case, is traffic level. The good news for NFL fans is that just about all of the 'live' games are on at "OFF" hours for internet traffic here, as those first 2-1/2 games I mentioned above were. From about 10:00 AM through early evening, my C.A.T. telecom signal gets weak for streaming. It's fine for email; but too weak for a solid stream.

For some reason, the replays available on NFL Game Pass have, so far been fine at any time of day. I've watched 3 of the NFL Network programs, as well as a replay of the entire Bears upset of the Colts. (Really wanted to see that one!)

That replay option is another of the advantages of the NFL Game Pass package, You can replay any game, all season long; as well as get those replays of several NFL Network programs.

As long as I continue to get the quality I've had for all but this one 'live' game, I'll be very happy that I spent the $14 per week ($240/year) for this package. I can now choose which games I want to watch, both live and in replay; and get some NFL Network coverage that is otherwise unavailable here. For this NFL addict, that's well worth the cost!

Thanks

With which company are you watching Astro??

Thanks

With which company are you watching Astro??

It's part of the Samui Channel cable package. I have no idea how they get a Malaysian (Indonesian?) feed.

The Patriots immediately made the call to bring Chris Simms in for a look. If they sign him, it will be interesting to see whether he can beat out Cassel, or just serves as a vet backup, since our #3 QB is the rookie, O'Connell.

George

Belichick is now saying that the Pats called Simms and Rattay BEFORE Brady got injured. This means that Belichick didn't even have faith in Cassel to be the Patriots' second string QB and was already looking for someone else to back Brady up prior to the KC game. Not a big sign of encouragement for Cassel, to be sure. BTW, Simms is going to sign with the Titans.

Now that the dust has settled, and the tears have been dried by Pats fans; it's time to take a less emotional look at the fact that things could be darker for our Patriots.

What can be darker than losing the best QB in the NFL in the first quarter of the first game? Well, losing him in, or just before the Playoffs would certainly be worse. Looking at the bright side, the Patriots now have 11 games to develop young Matt Cassel, and to develop a game plan that suits his game.

The fact is that Tom Brady isn't the only good player on this team. The talent and commitment of the veterans on defense - players like Bruschi, Vrabel, Seymour, Wilfork, and Rodney Harrison - is near legendary. Those guys know that they must now bear a heavier burden, and there is absolutely no doubt that will rise to that challenge.

On offense, the Patriots have 4 very solid RBs (Maroney, Sammy Morris, Lamont Jordan, and Kevin Faulk) who, like those vet D players, will be both willing and able to take up the heavier burden that they will likely have to bear in a less "pass happy" offense. When passing is required, Cassel, while lacking experience, definitely has the arm to get the ball wherever it has to go. And let's not forget that Randy Moss and Wes Welker can make up for a lot of QB mistakes. And, of course, Cassel will now be practicing as the starter; getting all the reps, and all of the attention of BB and OC Josh McDaniel. He'll be much more prepared for future games than he was for this one; and he didn't do badly against the Chiefs.

Do not make the mistake of sticking a fork into the New England Patriots. Doing so will only piss them off! As much as those vets I mentioned respect Brady, they will NOT lie down and let people say that the team is only good because Brady is the QB. They will NOT be disrespected. They will fight like hel_l every minute of every game this season.

And don't forget the fact that many teams have won with, shall we say, "questionable" talent at QB. Does the name Trent Dilfer ring a bell? Or how about going back a few years to Joe Kapp! There are at least 3 or 4 in between those two in that same category. Matt Cassel is no Tom Brady. But I'd happily put his talent up against that of Joe Kapp, Trent Dilfer, or those others.

While I hated to see Brady go down, I'm looking forward to watching the team suck it up, and prove that there is more than one champion wearing a Patriots uniform!

I took the plunge and just bought NFL GamePass (halved it with my friend actually).

Anyway, the games stream beautifully!!!!!! Just like the demo did. It is great! And I have a fair internet connection at best.

Whatever the NFL's new player is it worked. I haven't streamed a live game yet but wow, I am impressed. Out of my laptop and into the TV and I can spend the rest of the week watching whatever games I want to.

Also, you can skip ahead or skip back and the player goes to that spot within just a few moments and continues to play very smoothly. It really does seem like my prayers have been answered.

So anyone on the fence about buying, go for it. Find a friend and half it (only 1 person can be logged on at a time) but so what, you've got all week to watch the games. I'm going to watch the Eagles game in a few minutes to see how they scored 38 points.

Go Cowboys.

CC

Now that the dust has settled, and the tears have been dried by Pats fans; it's time to take a less emotional look at the fact that things could be darker for our Patriots.

And don't forget the fact that many teams have won with, shall we say, "questionable" talent at QB. Does the name Trent Dilfer ring a bell? Or how about going back a few years to Joe Kapp! There are at least 3 or 4 in between those two in that same category. Matt Cassel is no Tom Brady. But I'd happily put his talent up against that of Joe Kapp, Trent Dilfer, or those others.

While I hated to see Brady go down, I'm looking forward to watching the team suck it up, and prove that there is more than one champion wearing a Patriots uniform!

George, the Pats wouldn't have won 18 games last year being a one man team. Still, the Bucs won with Dilfer because they had a dominant defense that year. Last year, you know the Pats defense wasn't dominating and it isn't expected to be dominating again this year. They do have a very, very easy schedule, but they need to score points to have any chance of making the playoffs. Hope for the best, of course, but it is all uphill from here.

George, the Pats wouldn't have won 18 games last year being a one man team. Still, the Bucs won with Dilfer because they had a dominant defense that year. Last year, you know the Pats defense wasn't dominating and it isn't expected to be dominating again this year. They do have a very, very easy schedule, but they need to score points to have any chance of making the playoffs. Hope for the best, of course, but it is all uphill from here.

I have no illusions about the angle of the terrain from this point on, OMR. But the fact is that the Patriots truly do have a special spirit that has carried them since 2001, and was given a bump up on that spirit when Rodney Harrison joined the team. They have overcome more adversity to rise to 4 Super Bowls, and 3 Lombardi Trophies, than any team in history.

Objectively, I'm sure you acknowledge that Belichick is among the best coaches in the history of the game. The adjustments that will have to be made to accommodate the change from Brady's level of talent, to that of Matt Cassel, are well within BB's scope of knowledge. Cassel is still surrounded by the same outstanding group of offensive players that Brady had, minus RG Steve Neal, who will rejoin them later. They have 4 solid RBs who can assume the greater burden that will likely have to assume now. And Cassel's job as a passer will be eased considerably by having Randy Moss and Wes Welker on the other end of those passes. Also, don't overlook the difference it will make to practice all week as the starter; getting all the reps, and all the attention of BB and OC Josh McDaniel.

Defensively, they will have some growing pains with the youth they've added in the back 7 (LBs Mayo and Crable; CBs Wheatley and Willhite). But all 4 of those players look very good, and will, under the coaching of BB and Dom Capers, be MUCH better in December than they are in September. The DL is, of course, among the very best in the NFL. It was the lack of speed at LB and DB that hurt them most last year. That speed has been upgraded significantly.

So, while it is certainly an uphill climb, this is a team that has the horses to climb that hill, both on the field, and on the sidelines. This is a team will most certainly improve as the year goes along. There will definitely be some bumps to climb over, as Cassel and those young defensive players gain experience. But they have the best teacher in the NFL to guide them throught that.

As I said, I'd much rather have Brady back in there. But I am really looking forward to the excitement of watching them step up to this challenge. Whether or not they make it to the Super Bowl, I promise you that teams will have a tough time climbing over them to get there!

I have no illusions about the angle of the terrain from this point on, OMR. But the fact is that the Patriots truly do have a special spirit that has carried them since 2001, and was given a bump up on that spirit when Rodney Harrison joined the team. They have overcome more adversity to rise to 4 Super Bowls, and 3 Lombardi Trophies, than any team in history.

Objectively, I'm sure you acknowledge that Belichick is among the best coaches in the history of the game. The adjustments that will have to be made to accommodate the change from Brady's level of talent, to that of Matt Cassel, are well within BB's scope of knowledge. Cassel is still surrounded by the same outstanding group of offensive players that Brady had, minus RG Steve Neal, who will rejoin them later. They have 4 solid RBs who can assume the greater burden that will likely have to assume now. And Cassel's job as a passer will be eased considerably by having Randy Moss and Wes Welker on the other end of those passes. Also, don't overlook the difference it will make to practice all week as the starter; getting all the reps, and all the attention of BB and OC Josh McDaniel.

Defensively, they will have some growing pains with the youth they've added in the back 7 (LBs Mayo and Crable; CBs Wheatley and Willhite). But all 4 of those players look very good, and will, under the coaching of BB and Dom Capers, be MUCH better in December than they are in September. The DL is, of course, among the very best in the NFL. It was the lack of speed at LB and DB that hurt them most last year. That speed has been upgraded significantly.

So, while it is certainly an uphill climb, this is a team that has the horses to climb that hill, both on the field, and on the sidelines. This is a team will most certainly improve as the year goes along. There will definitely be some bumps to climb over, as Cassel and those young defensive players gain experience. But they have the best teacher in the NFL to guide them throught that.

As I said, I'd much rather have Brady back in there. But I am really looking forward to the excitement of watching them step up to this challenge. Whether or not they make it to the Super Bowl, I promise you that teams will have a tough time climbing over them to get there!

Spoken like a true die hard NFL fan. I fully agree that Belichick is indeed the best coach in the NFL and it was this best coach in the NFL that was actively looking for a QB to back up Brady before Brady's injury. If the best head coach in the NFL doesn't have faith in Cassel as Brady's back up, that tells me a whole lot about what the Pats can expect with Cassel as the starting QB.

Right now, the best thing the Pats have going for them is their spirit (which you have addressed) and their easy schedule (which others have addressed). It will be interesting.

How does the Game Pass work in terms of access? You get a user ID and password, and then use those to log-on and watch either live or recorded past games???

So, two people could go in together on a purchase, and then share the user ID and password???? But only one use the system at any given time???

I thought the solo price was a little steep, considering I'm not that football crazy. But I'd definitely consider going halves on the deal....

How does the Game Pass work in terms of access? You get a user ID and password, and then use those to log-on and watch either live or recorded past games???

So, two people could go in together on a purchase, and then share the user ID and password???? But only one use the system at any given time???

I thought the solo price was a little steep, considering I'm not that football crazy. But I'd definitely consider going halves on the deal....

You have it exactly right, JF. As I noted earlier, that annual fee of $240 looks like a big chunk of change, at first glance. It looked a lot more reasonable to me when I reduced it to the WEEKLY cost of $14 over the 17 weeks (now 16) of the regular season. As I said earlier, I have no regrets at all about spending $14/week for all the entertainment I can get from NFL Game Pass.

Think about it. You can watch any games you want, either live or via "on demand" replay. And you can watch replays of the top pre and post game shows from NFL Network. That's basically all the NFL football you want for $14/week. I'm very happy with that.

You have it exactly right, JF. As I noted earlier, that annual fee of $240 looks like a big chunk of change, at first glance. It looked a lot more reasonable to me when I reduced it to the WEEKLY cost of $14 over the 17 weeks (now 16) of the regular season. As I said earlier, I have no regrets at all about spending $14/week for all the entertainment I can get from NFL Game Pass.

Think about it. You can watch any games you want, either live or via "on demand" replay. And you can watch replays of the top pre and post game shows from NFL Network. That's basically all the NFL football you want for $14/week. I'm very happy with that.

When you look at it like that, $14 to watch any/all of the games a week, it seems like an ever better deal. If you find a friend to share it with then it's half. Shoot, find 3 friends, but only 1 can be logged in at a time. But my friend is my neighbor so we just yell at each other when one wants to watch a game or we decide to watch one together. You have 7 days to watch the games you want. Well, actually the games are available all season.

I have to amend my earlier quote about the video stream being so beautiful. Last night, in the evening, I watched the Phili/St. L. game (wow, Phili looked good!) and the video quality wasn't too great. But, as noted by a previous poster, the evenings are peak internet traffic times. The video streamed fine but a lot of pixilation and my internet connection is so so. The audio was great and I loved to see and hear Moose Johnston. I met him once in Dallas.

Weak division (though better than last year), easy schedule, only two games (one with Miami at home) before the bye week gives some more development time. If Cassel or whoever we bring in can gel sufficiently, we have an experienced team's chance to win the division and roll the bones in the playoffs. I mean, who would you favor (with the limited info at hand presently) to win the AFC East right now? I'd STILL say the Pats.

Edited by calibanjr.

Go Cowboys.

CC

I have a new friend!

big game on tuesday morning . . I hope Dawkin's lays out TO . . what's with Pacman and Romo's girlfriend talking trash . . just messing, i love the rivalry. eagles vs. cowboys, my two favorite games of the year (excluding possible playoffs). whoever wins in the trenches wins the game . . should be a good early-season battle.

if you guys don't want marion barber anymore, we will take him . . otherwise cowboys s*ck :o