American Football

ChuckZ

Pats are on a roll and verywell could surprise everyone in there run to the bowl.

but I hope not because that would mean my steelers would be out of it. I don't want that to happen. The colts might have to hard of a time getting that winning streak started again and I can't see the Jags going anywhere without Leftwhich as starting QB. I don't have a good feeling for the Bronco's, so I going to say it will have to be up to the Pats or Steelers to represent the AFC at the dance.

PKG

I don't really think it will be a "surprise" to many if my Patriots get back to the Super Bowl. Commentators, players, and coaches alike are all recognizing publicly that the Patriots poor showing through the first 10 games or so was due almost entirely to the uncredible rash of injuries they suffered to key players, including the loss of Tedy Bruschi before the season began.

The Patriots have had 44 different starters at the 22 scrimmage positions! Missing for significant periods of time were such key starting players as OLT Matt Light (on IR); SS Rodney Harrison (on IR); Tedy Bruschi; DT Richard Seymour; CB Tyrone Poole (on IR); C Dan Koppen (on IR); RB Corey Dillon; RB Kevin Faulk; TE Daniel Graham; TE Ben Watson; WR David Givens.

Returning recently, Bruschi, and Seymour have made a huge difference to the defense. Combined with the completion of the comeback of Rosevelt Colvin from major hip surgery a year ago (a potentially career ending injury); and the emergence of a coming star at CB in rookie Ellis Hobbs; this has returned our defense to the dominance for which it was know last season.

Meanwhile, the offensive line continues to be our greatest challenge on the other side of the ball after the loss of Light and Koppen. Rookie Nick Kaczur has surprised everyone with his performance stepping in for Light. And veteran backup Russ Hochstein has likewise acquitted himself very well replacing Koppen in the key Center position. It's still far from a strength of the team. But the OL is keeping it's head above water. Behind it, the now healthy Dillon and Faulk are finding enough room to produce an effective running game once again. And the incomparable Tom Brady has just enough time to find his once again large array of receiving weapons - Branch, Givens, Graham and Watson as the primaries, with occasional contributions from the clever Troy Brown, and the speedy Tim Dwight.

As I said, the "experts" have recognized that, and are publicly acknowledging that the Patriots are clearly as great a threat as there is in the league. So, as I said, it will be no surpise to see them defending their Championship in Detroit!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pats are on a roll and verywell could surprise everyone in there run to the bowl.

but I hope not because that would mean my steelers would be out of it. I don't want that to happen. The colts might have to hard of a time getting that winning streak started again and I can't see the Jags going anywhere without Leftwhich as starting QB. I don't have a good feeling for the Bronco's, so I going to say it will have to be up to the Pats or Steelers to represent the AFC at the dance.

PKG

I don't really think it will be a "surprise" to many if my Patriots get back to the Super Bowl. Commentators, players, and coaches alike are all recognizing publicly that the Patriots poor showing through the first 10 games or so was due almost entirely to the uncredible rash of injuries they suffered to key players, including the loss of Tedy Bruschi before the season began.

The Patriots have had 44 different starters at the 22 scrimmage positions! Missing for significant periods of time were such key starting players as OLT Matt Light (on IR); SS Rodney Harrison (on IR); Tedy Bruschi; DT Richard Seymour; CB Tyrone Poole (on IR); C Dan Koppen (on IR); RB Corey Dillon; RB Kevin Faulk; TE Daniel Graham; TE Ben Watson; WR David Givens.

Returning recently, Bruschi, and Seymour have made a huge difference to the defense. Combined with the completion of the comeback of Rosevelt Colvin from major hip surgery a year ago (a potentially career ending injury); and the emergence of a coming star at CB in rookie Ellis Hobbs; this has returned our defense to the dominance for which it was know last season.

Meanwhile, the offensive line continues to be our greatest challenge on the other side of the ball after the loss of Light and Koppen. Rookie Nick Kaczur has surprised everyone with his performance stepping in for Light. And veteran backup Russ Hochstein has likewise acquitted himself very well replacing Koppen in the key Center position. It's still far from a strength of the team. But the OL is keeping it's head above water. Behind it, the now healthy Dillon and Faulk are finding enough room to produce an effective running game once again. And the incomparable Tom Brady has just enough time to find his once again large array of receiving weapons - Branch, Givens, Graham and Watson as the primaries, with occasional contributions from the clever Troy Brown, and the speedy Tim Dwight.

As I said, the "experts" have recognized that, and are publicly acknowledging that the Patriots are clearly as great a threat as there is in the league. So, as I said, it will be no surpise to see them defending their Championship in Detroit!

excellent reply

as I implied early , the Pats worry me but I can not go against my Steelers. They too are getting everyone back healthy and are starting to hit on all cylinders. So I am hoping to see them represent the AFC in Detriot.

come on know, The Pats can't win every year! can they?

btw Teddy Bruschi is simply amazing.

PKG :o

excellent reply

as I implied early , the Pats worry me but I can not go against my Steelers. They too are getting everyone back healthy and are starting to hit on all cylinders. So I am hoping to see them represent the AFC in Detriot.

come on know, The Pats can't win every year! can they?

btw Teddy Bruschi is simply amazing.

PKG :o

The Steelers are, indeed, coming on strong. However, I really believe (and no bravado or "smack" intended here) that Belichick has Cowher's number. The Steelers are an outstanding team. But, against the Patriots, the way our front 7 is playing now that they're all healthy, I think we take away their running game. While Roethlisberger is a decent QB behind their great running game, he's not good enough to carry the team, minus that running game.

I'm glad you appreciate what Tedy has done. He's both a fantastic player, and a fantastic guy. I'm proud to have him, and many like him on our team.

This year is probably the Sea Hawks best chance. Homgren knows the bears very well and they are the only worry in the NFC.

PKG

As a Bears fan hope you're right about them, but the Gibbs-led Skins kind of scare me -- they seem to be getting hot at the right time and Gibbs is always tough in the playoffs. Actually I think the NFC teams are pretty evenly balanced (unlike the AFC where it will be the Pats or the Colts) and anybody could pull it off. But i think you have to go with the team that has the home field advantage. That would be No. 1 seed Seattle.

As a Bears fan you got to be happy with the QB switch to Rex grossman. It looks like he likes to air it out, and put some points on the board. I should say some offense of points. This year is killing the cheeseheads. I am surrounded by them.

The were pretty quite when my steelers came in to Lambeau to kick there arse.

i was lucky enough to get field passes to that one. Best time I ever had at a game.

PKG

As a Bears fan you got to be happy with the QB switch to Rex grossman. It looks like he likes to air it out, and put some points on the board. I should say some offense of points. This year is killing the cheeseheads. I am surrounded by them.

i was lucky enough to get field passes to that one. Best time I ever had at a game.

PKG

The switch to Grossman was a great half-time move by Coach Smith and definitely gives Da Bears a better chance in the playoffs. And yes, it was extremely gratifying to beat the Pack twice this season. :o

But I gotta admit, your Steelers beat us pretty good too. The Bears vaunted Bears' defence could not stop The Bus. But I still feel we're a better -- or at least more balanced -- team now that we got a passing game.

PKG

The switch to Grossman was a great half-time move by Coach Smith and definitely gives Da Bears a better chance in the playoffs. And yes, it was extremely gratifying to beat the Pack twice this season. :o

But I gotta admit, your Steelers beat us pretty good too. The Bears vaunted Bears' defence could not stop The Bus. But I still feel we're a better -- or at least more balanced -- team now that we got a passing game.

Deke, I think you need to be cautious about getting too excited over Grossman's chances in the playoffs. He's still a very inexperienced NFL QB. Very few of them do well in the pressure of playoff football. Of course, my QB, Brady, didn't do too badly in 2001! :D

Deke, I think you need to be cautious about getting too excited over Grossman's chances in the playoffs. He's still a very inexperienced NFL QB. Very few of them do well in the pressure of playoff football. Of course, my QB, Brady, didn't do too badly in 2001! :o

Agreed Patsfan. Brady is an exception. The Bears will still rely on the running game and defence to get them as far as they can. I don't really feel that this is the Bear's year (of course I said that about the White Sox too!) but we're moving in the right direction with Smith as head coach and Turner as Off coord.

I'm not a big Seahawks fan, but I have to admit, Shawn Alexander is da man!!

Anyway, I hope my Giants get their act together this weekend against Oakland...They missed their chance to clinch the division last saturday with The Redskins.... :o

I think your giants have another couple of years yet before Eli steals the spot light away from his big brother. I can see it coming.

PKG

Don't know much about the Seahawks -- only saw them once on TV this year. Their offence looked very good and supremely confident...and I know Holmgren from his days with the Packers. But I just read this:

They have dominated the NFC West, the worst division in the league. Six of their victories have come against St. Louis (5-10), Arizona (5-10) and San Francisco (3-12). They also have beaten Tennessee (4-11) and Houston (2-13), meaning eight of their victories have come against teams with double-digit losses.

Does it mean anything?? I dunno...just looking for a glimmer of hope for...

DA BEARS!!! :o:D

So, all settled then:

(Is anybody else like me sick and tired of that old cliche: "They control their own destiny" ? :o )

Playoff PictureESPN.com

The 2005 playoff picture and wild-card matchups are all set.

Playoff scenarios for Week 17

AFC playoff race NFC playoff race

Team W L T Div Conf Team W L T Div Conf

1. Colts(*) 13 2 0 6-0 11-1 1. Seahawks(*) 13 3 0 6-0 10-2

2. Broncos(y) 13 3 0 5-1 10-2 2. Bears(y) 11 5 0 5-1 10-2

3. Bengals(z) 11 5 0 5-1 7-5 3. Bucs(z) 11 5 0 5-1 9-3

4. Patriots(z) 10 6 0 5-1 7-5 4. Giants(z) 11 5 0 4-2 8-4

5. Jaguars(x) 12 4 0 4-2 9-3 5. Panthers(x) 11 5 0 4-2 8-4

6. Steelers(x) 11 5 0 4-2 7-5 6. Redskins(x) 10 6 0 5-1 10-2

What are your predictions?

I'm going with Colts vs. Bears in Super Bowl; Colts as Champs.

What are your predictions?

I'm going with Colts vs. Bears in Super Bowl; Colts as Champs.

Patriots and Seahawks. THREEPEAT FOR MY PATS!

I got to go with my Steelers vs Seahawks

but I am not willing to bet on it. I going with my heart not my head.

PKG

Edited by Padkapow Guy

I'm in the U.S. now, but leave for BKK on Wed. I'll be there for 5 months studying and will obviously miss my favorite part of the football season. Since my beloved Titans didn't make it this year, I'm not too terribly upset over missing all of the playoff games. Anyway, Someone mentioned a Superbowl party a few pages back and I think It'd be an excellent idea!!! Any takers?

Anyone been following the BCS games on ESPN? I woke up at 4:30 to watch Ohio St. Vs Notre Dame on the 3rd. Very good game, went back to sleep after that and missed the Georgia - W. Vaginia game.... Should have stayed up for it.

Then I watched the Penn St Florida St. game this morning. Exellent game, ended in 3rd OT. I think if there was a good defensive game to watch all season, this would have to be it!

I'm also gonna watch the UCS-Texas game in the morning. Don't really care for either team, but it's the national championship game so it's worth watching. Gonna be rooting for UCS coz I got 1 thing to ssay for texans.... Love to mess with Texas! Ha.

Anyways, Happy Bowl Season (New Year) everybody! :o

Anyone been following the BCS games on ESPN? I woke up at 4:30 to watch Ohio St. Vs Notre Dame on the 3rd. Very good game, went back to sleep after that and missed the Georgia - W. Vaginia game.... Should have stayed up for it.

Then I watched the Penn St Florida St. game this morning. Exellent game, ended in 3rd OT. I think if there was a good defensive game to watch all season, this would have to be it!

I'm also gonna watch the  UCS-Texas game in the morning. Don't really care for either team, but it's the national championship game so it's worth watching. Gonna be rooting for UCS coz I got 1 thing to ssay for texans.... Love to mess with Texas! Ha.

Anyways, Happy Bowl Season (New Year) everybody! :o

As a Patriots fan, I was sorry to see our former Offensive Coordinator, now ND coach, Charlie Weis, lose. They made a valiant attempt at a comeback, but they simply don't have enough speed on their team. Charlie will fix that in his next recruiting class. He's going to be a great coach there.

I was out during the Georgia - West VA game, and heard it go to 28-0 on the radio. I didn't hear about Georgia's near comeback until later.

I did watch the Orange Bowl, and loved it ... until the kicking ineptitude that began with Penn State's attempt to win it in regulation time ruined it. After such a great game, it was terrible to watch it end with one missed kick after another. Really did destroy the quality of the game, overall.

As for the Rose Bowl tonight, I'll be fully supporting USC! Yet another former Patriots coach, Pete Carroll, has built the Trojans into the best team in the history of college football. I hope they destroy Texas.

The orange bowl left me with 3 hours of sleep before going to work the next morning, but the Penn State win made me happy. Now I have that old familar chinese disease. " dragon arse"

I agree Pats, the kicker spoiled a good game. the best I have watched in a long time. tough defenses.

PKG

The Rose Bowl was fantastic...a fun game to watch, especially if you were totally neutral (or I suppose a Texas fan!).

Is Vince Young a legitimate NFL QB? Another Michael Vick type? Those running QBs never seem to be as succesful in the NFL as some of the others. Speaking of which, I just read this about Brady:

The Patriots struggled at times, but Tom Brady had one of his best seasons, leading the NFL with a career-high 4,110 passing yards. It's in the playoffs where Brady really shines, though, as he is unbeaten in nine starts. His most remarkable postseason statistic, the Boston Globe notes, is interceptions. During the regular season, Brady averages one pick every 39 passes. In the playoffs, he has thrown only three in 304 attempts. That's one out of every 101 passes

I picked the Colts...but after reading this I'm beginning to have my doubts :o

The Rose Bowl was fantastic...a fun game to watch, especially if you were totally neutral (or I suppose a Texas fan!).

Is Vince Young a legitimate NFL QB? Another Michael Vick type? Those running QBs never seem to be as succesful in the NFL as some of the others. Speaking of which, I just read this about Brady:

The Patriots struggled at times, but Tom Brady had one of his best seasons, leading the NFL with a career-high 4,110 passing yards. It's in the playoffs where Brady really shines, though, as he is unbeaten in nine starts. His most remarkable postseason statistic, the Boston Globe notes, is interceptions. During the regular season, Brady averages one pick every 39 passes. In the playoffs, he has thrown only three in 304 attempts. That's one out of every 101 passes

I picked the Colts...but after reading this I'm beginning to have my doubts :o

Deke, your doubts speak volumes to your intelligence and good sense! :-) Believe me, the Patriots are very much ready to make a solid run at their 3rd consecutive Super Bowl win. They have Seymour and Bruschi back on the defense; the emergence of CB Ellis Hobbs; the return of Rosie Colvin to his All Pro level of performance; both of our TEs, Graham and Watson back on the field; RB Corey Dillon healthy and well rested; RB Kevin Faulk ditto Dillon; and, as you have noted, the greatest clutch QB in the history of the game! Oh, and speaking of clutch, is their FG kicker any good? Now let's add Bill Belichick's game planning ability. Any questions?

As far as I can tell this weekend's Wild Card playoff games are available on TV locally live with the exception of the Pats-Jags game. :o (...which will be shown 16 hours later on ESPN.)

I was wondering if anyone knew if that game might be available live locally, in Bangkok, via satellite? It would be 08:00 on Sunday, 8 January locally.

8 Jan Star Sports (Ch. 40)

04:30 NFL Playoffs: Nfc Wildcard # 06001 06001: WASHINGTON REDSKINS VS. TAMPA BAYBUCCANEERS

9 Jan ESPN (Ch. 39) DELAYED Broadcast

00:05 NFL Playoffs: Afc Wildcard 06002 : JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS VS. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

9 Jan UBC SuperSport (Ch. 35)

01:00 National Football League 2005 035: NFC WILD CARD PLAYOFF: CAROLINA @ N.Y. GIANTS (09-JAN-2006)

04:15 National Football League 2005 036: AFC WILD CARD PLAYOFF: PITTSBURGH @ CINCINNATI (09-JAN-2006)