American Football

ChuckZ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another Patriots victory, Jack. I expected a win by at least 10. I was very frustrated by the "sleepy" first half that our offense played. But they woke up for the 2nd half, and did their thing.

Next game will be much tougher, whether in Indy or Denver. Tough crowds in both places, and much better teams than the Jags.

But we ARE the champions, and I remain confident that the incredible intelligence of Belichick, and the equally incredible unselfish teamwork of our players, will get us through that challenge, and on to the AFC Championship.

Well, all I can say as an NFC man and a Bear's fan, after watching Washington beat the Bucs, the Skins really have me shaking in my boots.....NOT!!! The Bears will trounce them. But, they'll probably have to play the Gnats ...er... I mean the Giants first. Tiki might be a problem. :o

Steelers vs Cincinati is on today.

It should be the game to watch. The bengals lost there last two while the Steelers have won there last 4 games and seem to be getting hot going into the playoff's.

Pats are defending champs, but I think the law of probability is against them. 3 in a row will be tough to do.

Bears, now that they have a passing game the could make the NFC very interesting. I think there bigest worry will be seattle.

But for now I would like everyone to be cheering on the Steelers until your team has to play against them.

thanks for your cooperation

PKG :o

Patfangr

You need to change your avitar to a pic of Teddy Bruschi, to add to the pic's of the other great linebackers in this thread.

Dick Butkus - Dekestone

jack Lambert - PKG

Well, all I can say as an NFC man and a Bear's fan, after watching Washington beat the Bucs, the Skins really have me shaking in my boots.....NOT!!! The Bears will trounce them. But, they'll probably have to play the Gnats ...er... I mean the Giants first. Tiki might be a problem. :o

Well, Deke, don't discount that 'Skins defense! I think Da Bears will have a tough time scoring against them. Could be a 6-3 game! :-)

I'm not so sure about the Giants being there. I expect a good game today between the Giants and Panthers. I see that as a toss up.

No matter what, the Bears weak offense, led by a very inexperienced QB (whichever one plays), has to be a big concern for Bears fans in the intense atmosphere of the playoffs.

Pats are defending champs, but I think the law of probability is against them. 3 in a row will be tough to do.

But for now I would like everyone to be cheering on the Steelers until your team has to play against them.

thanks for your cooperation

Patfangr

You need to change your avitar to a pic of Teddy Bruschi, to add to the pic's of the other great linebackers in this thread.

Dick Butkus - Dekestone

jack Lambert - PKG

Probability? Perhaps you haven't heard that Belichick, and every player on that team, live by the "One game at a time" principle? They're not going for the Threepeat. They're going for a win in their next game! They'll think about the Threepeat ONLY after they do it. Not one second earlier.

I'll be rooting for the Steelers, for two reasons:

1. If they beat the Colts, and we beat Denver, we would host the AFC Championship game in New England. Our recent record against the Steelers is perfect!

2. If they lose to the Colts, it's likely that the very physical play of the Steelers will leave the Colts a little banged up. I'll take every edge I can get, if we have to go into that pussy dome!

So, how's that Avatar now? :D

what ever it takes to get you cheering for the steelers, that will work.

You right, the Pats own the Steelers in New England, but that's were I will be counting on the odds against the Pats 3 pete to kick in. I may have to get the wife to go to the local temple to get some extra juju to help out the Steelers.

nice avitar

PKG

Steelers beat the Bengals like a read headed stepchild!

Now the worries start, Peyton Manning and the Colts are a darn good team and playing in that dome makes the noise ruff for the offense.

Patsfangr

Once again I call on your support for the Steelers.

I think the Pats would rather play the Steelers than the colts.

Too bad about Palmer being injured on the first offensive play. Would have made it a much better game, I think, had he played, though maybe the outcome wouldn't have been any different. Meanwhile, I was wrong about the Giants. They were so bad they got booed off the field from their own fans!! :o

Dekestone

Carolina is a team that could sneak in the back door, but I think the Bears main concern will be Seattle.

Shame about Palmer, would have made for a better game although I am not sure if my heart could handle a closer game.

The AFC is such a strong conference that any team left has a real legit shot of going all the way.

Not to take anything away from the colts, but the Pats are the team that worry me the most.

I will be cheering for the Bears in the NFC, they are a blue collar team like the Steelers.

New England in Denver. Go Broncos!!

Do know how often a team has beaten Belichick the second time in a season after beating him in the first meeting?

I don't know if you've followed the Patriots this season, but, believe me, the team the Broncos beat bears little resemblance to the healthy team we'll be fielding next week.

The Broncos are a good team, and Denver is a tough place to play. But I believe the Pats will take them by at least a TD.

I told you those Panthers would be a load for the Giants, Deke. Their D is much better than the Giants, and the Bears will really have a problem moving the ball against them. John Fox is a good coach. He knows what to expect from the Bears this time, after losing to them earlier.

Should be a very good defensive game. Boring to some. But I like well played defensive games.

I see the Panthers beating the Bears, 20-13.

New England in Denver. Go Broncos!!

Do know how often a team has beaten Belichick the second time in a season after beating him in the first meeting?

no, and I consider that irrelevant. hehe :D It is widely accepted in Denver that the Broncos only played 2-1/2 quarters during that first game. They went into hibernation once they built a lead and almost lost the game.

I don't know if you've followed the Patriots this season, but, believe me, the team the Broncos beat bears little resemblance to the healthy team we'll be fielding next week.

I know the national media has really played up the Patriots and for good reason. They are a good team and a good story. Sure, injurys play a part of all games. I think Champ Bailey was injured when we last played you too. I'd say the Pats have been part of a 3 year media lovefest. The Broncos are flying under the radar. I'll take that as the Bronco games I've seen have shown me we Broncos don't fear the Pats.

The Broncos are a good team, and Denver is a tough place to play. But I believe the Pats will take them by at least a TD.

Disagreed. The Broncos are a good all around team. Expect them to play the full game this time. :o

Edited by Head Snake

Steelers beat the Bengals like a read headed stepchild!

Now the worries start, Peyton Manning and the Colts are a darn good team and playing in that dome makes the noise ruff for the offense.

Patsfangr

Once again I call on your support for the Steelers.

I think the Pats would rather play the Steelers than the colts.

If we play the Steelers, it would be at New England, PKG. Of course we'd prefer that to "Arena Football" in the pussy Indy dome! Plus, of course, there's Belichick's record against the totally predictable Cowher.

But right now, the Broncos are the concern. The Pats will almost certainly focus on taking away the running game, and forcing Plummer to return to his days as "Jake the Mistake"!

Are any of the guys in here living in Pattaya?

As I show in my info, I'm currently in So Cal, but I'll be moving to Pattaya in April.

If there isn't one already, I will be trying to start an "NFL Club" of fans there. The first job will be to locate the best sports bar in the area. Then, it's just a matter of getting everybody together. Could be great fun!

There are 3 playoff goals for the Broncos. And all the players know them.

1: Get a playoff victory. Denver has not won a playoff game since Elway left and we had the back to back Super Bowl wins

2: Beat the Colts. 2 straight years the Broncos got their a$$es kicked in that dome.

3: Super Bowl win. That goes without saying.

Of note: the Browns Dline that we acquired in the offseason are looking forward to all the challenges for some REDEMPTION.

Leaders on the Bronco defensive team: Champ Bailey, John Lynch, and Al Wilson.

Leaders on the Broncos Offensive team: Jake " The mistake" Plummer, Rod Smith (UFA with HOF numbers), the O line with "The Marine" at running back.

Both NE and Denver have strong team leadership. I think Denver is more hungry though this year.

Light reading for AFC fans.

Sloppy play didn't hurt the Patriots ... this timeBy Michael Smith

ESPN.com

Archive

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- With a 28-3 wild-card win over Jacksonville on Saturday night, Tom Brady (surely he would much prefer we say "the Patriots") improved his playoff record to 10-0, best ever. New England has won its last 10 postseason games, also an NFL record. That's 5-0 at home, 3-0 at neutral sites (also known as the Super Bowl), and 2-0 on the road (both at Pittsburgh in AFC title games, which, as Steelers fans know all to well, can be just like playing at home for visitors). Wherever, against whomever, however, you can't do anything else but respect (here you go, Tommy boy) what the Patriots have done over the past four years.

And yet after they were done dispatching the Jaguars -- whom most sane observers felt had little shot to end the run of dominance, anyway -- the Patriots expressed great respect for the task at hand. If the Bengals were to beat the Steelers on Sunday, then fourth-seeded New England would travel to Indianapolis for the divisional round. Should Pittsburgh knock off Cincinnati, the Patriots would head to Denver. Playoff history with the Colts aside, you're talking six one way and half a dozen the other. At 14-2 the Colts were the best team in football for the regular season, and at 13-3 the Broncos weren't far behind. The Patriots couldn't keep up with either the last time they played; Denver beat New England, 28-20 -- and it wasn't that close -- at Invesco Field at Mile High in Week 6, and three weeks later, Indianapolis reversed its Foxborough curse, 40-21, dropping the Patriots to 4-4.

A different kind of 4-and-4 marked the Patriots' win Saturday night. Try four sacks of Brady and four fumbles, two of which, had the Jags managed to recover, may have changed the complexion of the game. First, Jacksonville defensive end Reggie Hayward strip-sacked Brady in Patriots territory in the final minute of the first half. Had it actually been a turnover, perhaps the Jags could have turned it into points. Instead, New England went into the locker room ahead 7-3. On the Patriots' first possession of the second half, Mike Peterson forced a Ben Watson fumble inside Jacksonville's 10-yard line, and the ball got kicked around until Patriots wideout Andre' Davis fell on it at the 3 for a gain of 9 on what easily could have been a drive-killing turnover. Instead, the Patriots went ahead 14-3 on the next play on David Givens's touchdown catch.

Watson dropped what would have been a touchdown catch in the first quarter. Brady dropped a low shotgun snap in the first. In the third, Deion Branch broke free behind the Jags' last line but couldn't come up with the over-the-shoulder catch just short of the goal line.

The Patriots gained 118 yards on the ground, but their primary running back, Corey Dillon, was more a problem for the local media during the week than he was for the Jags on Saturday night -- 40 yards on 17 carries.

Here's the point: The margin of victory was wide, but the win was not impressive, particularly from an offensive standpoint. Frankly, the Patriots won this one thanks to a little luck; a tremendous individual effort by Watson on a third-quarter, 63-yard touchdown catch-and-run that, in the words of Bill Belichick, "really should have been probably a third-down stop"; and a great call by defensive coordinator Eric Mangini in the fourth quarter that put Asante Samuel in perfect position to pick off a Byron Leftwich pass and take it 73 yards for a touchdown.

Belichick told his team after the win that, now, they're even with the best teams in the league, Denver and Indy, as in they're with them in the second round. But a performance like Saturday night's, which was more than good enough against Jacksonville, won't cut it against either the Broncos or Colts. Play like that again, sloppy, and that record's going to be 10-1 after next week. And the Patriots know it.

"I don't think history matters a whole lot. I really don't," said Brady, who with three touchdown passes and no interceptions raised his career postseason TD-to-INT ratio to 14-3. "As a team we're going to need to play our best. We just can't afford some of the mistakes we had [saturday night]. If we don't play our most consistent brand of football, I don't care whether it's on the road or at home, we're not going to win."

Tight end Christian Fauria agreed, saying, "We need to play our best game of the year for either one of those teams. Both of them beat us up pretty good when we played them last time. I definitely think our best game is still out there. I don't think we've seen it yet. We've seen glimpses of it."

You won't see many efforts such as the one Willie McGinest put forth: a league-record 4½ sacks, giving him 16 career postseason sacks, also a record (sacks became an official statistic in 1982). McGinest led a defense that, despite playing without linebacker and leader Tedy Bruschi, kept Jacksonville out of the end zone, stopped 11 of 12 third-down conversions, and held Leftwich to a 61.1 passer rating in his return from a six-week layoff. New England's defense, we've got no problems with it. "Defense played terrific, as usual," Brady said.

When the Patriots play the Broncos, Denver usually gets the better of the matchup, having won three of the past four meetings, losing only a thriller with Danny Kanell at quarterback. And while New England has ended the Colts' season the past two years, there's a big difference between those Colts and this year's team -- specifically a defense, plus Indy will be at home this year. Based on Saturday night's uneven performance, if we had to rate New England's chances next week, we'd be inclined to say "no" to a win in Denver and "probably not" to a victory at Indianapolis.

But the Patriots are a better team than the one that went to Denver and fell behind 28-6 and the one the Colts trounced at Gillette Stadium two months ago.

"From a distance," Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio said of the Patriots' early-season struggles, "it appeared that several of their leaders stepped forward and just basically let it be known that it wasn't going to be the way it was going, that they were going to pull together and get it done. You could just see it kind of galvanize.

"They're playing good football now."

Yeah. Except that good won't be good enough in Denver or Indianapolis. The Patriots need to be great if they're going to make it 11 straight.

If we play the Steelers, it would be at New England, PKG. Of course we'd prefer that to "Arena Football" in the pussy Indy dome! Plus, of course, there's Belichick's record against the totally predictable Cowher.

But right now, the Broncos are the concern. The Pats will almost certainly focus on taking away the running game, and forcing Plummer to return to his days as "Jake the Mistake"!

As a Colts fan I'm well aware of our record against the Pats. Honestly, it's ###### appalling. But this hasn't been the typical year for either team, both teams will be healthy when they play each other. And let's face it, Pit and Den are both good teams, but this yr both the Colts and Pats got bragging rights to settle on the field. So it's fair to say the AFC championship will be between the Colts and the Pats. But back to what I was going to say. It's easy to talk big before the actual game, and Pat's fan do do that very well (and rightly so, 3 super bowls, I know). So we'll just have to see come Sunday, who's laughing at the end of the game! In the mean time, save your breath, we've heard it all before. :o

So it's fair to say the AFC championship will be between the Colts and the Pats.

Whooa, hang on there Chiuey. You can't dismiss the Steelers that easy. I hope Manning takes the Steelers that lightly. It going to be a good game, not like the last game.

Big Ben is healthy now. The Steelers are getting hot right now. We have to wait until Sunday to see who hangs up the spikes for the season.

PKG

So it's fair to say the AFC championship will be between the Colts and the Pats.

In that case, let me inform my Broncos they need not bother to show up or maybe they just show up in sweats and scrimmage the Pats.

:o

I truly hope the Pats aren't looking too far past the Broncos. Perhaps they should be arranging tee times if they are.

In that case, let me inform my Broncos they need not bother to show up or maybe they just show up in sweats and scrimmage the Pats.

:o

I truly hope the Pats aren't looking too far past the Broncos. Perhaps they should be arranging tee times if they are.

I guarantee that Belichick's team will not be looking ahead. This team has the mentality of it's coach. Every team in the NFL can beat any other unless preparation and focus are maximum for every game. Denver is clearly not a team that can be walked over. They are good. Very good. The Patriots will come into that game very well aware of that fact. Nothing is important right now but preparation for the Broncos.

I told you those Panthers would be a load for the Giants, Deke. Their D is much better than the Giants, and the Bears will really have a problem moving the ball against them. John Fox is a good coach. He knows what to expect from the Bears this time, after losing to them earlier.

Should be a very good defensive game. Boring to some. But I like well played defensive games.

I see the Panthers beating the Bears, 20-13.

Pat, Point taken about John Fox but Lovie Smith was Coach of the Year for a reason! When the Bears played them during the reg season they came into Chicago with a seven game winning streak and averaging something like 28 pts. a game. They got three against the Bears. Delhome was sacked eight times and intercepted 2 or 3. Bears offence with Orton as QB did pretty good, over 100 yds rushing and some big passes to Mohammed. They are much better offensively with Grossman. At home the Bears should win.

(OK You guys can go back to arguing about the AFC. :o )

Whooa, hang on there Chiuey. You can't dismiss the Steelers that easy. I hope Manning takes the Steelers that lightly. It going to be a good game, not like the last game.

Big Ben is healthy now. The Steelers are getting hot right now. We have to wait until Sunday to see who hangs up the spikes for the season.

PKG

The Steelers aren't being dismissed, it'll be a real tough game, I just think the Colts will edge the steelers at home coz they've got a score to settle witht he Pats. My predictions, Colts win by a field goal.

Seahawks hasn't won a playoff game since 1984 and I think,alomst every Seahawks fan will say this, the win against Washington is the only thing that matter. Any thing beyond that is extra special

'Skins did not impress me, as I said earlier. Don't think it will be a problem for the 'Hawks at home. Here are the point spreads at the moment:

At Seattle -9 Washington

At Denver -3.5 New England

At Indianapolis -9.5 Pittsburgh

At Chicago -3 Carolina

I would be very tempted to take Pitttsburgh and the 9.5 points!! The Bears of course will beat the spread. The other two games I would stay well away from, if I were betting. :o

PKG

The Steelers aren't being dismissed, it'll be a real tough game, I just think the Colts will edge the steelers at home coz they've got a score to settle witht he Pats. My predictions, Colts win by a field goal.

Chiuey, if the Colts are thinking as you are, the Steelers will beat them. There can be no game, or no team on your mind other than the game and team you're playing in the NFL. The Colts had better be focussed 100% on the Steelers, and not even giving a thought to the Patriots on Sunday. I can assure you that the Pats will have nothing but the Denver Broncos on their minds this week!

Does anybody have a handle on the local (Thailand) broadcast schedule for the next round of (Divisional) playoffs?

All I can find so far (searched ESPN, StarSports and UBC SuperSport) is:

15 Jan UBC SuperSport (Ch. 35)

04:30 National Football League 2005 037: DIVISIONAL PLAYOFF : WASHINGTON @ SEATTLE (15-JAN-2006)

16 Jan UBC SuperSport (Ch. 35)

04:30 National Football League 2005 038: DIVISIONAL PLAYOFF : CAROLINA @ CHICAGO (16-JAN-2006)

The NFL schedule (EDT, BKK = +12 hours)) is:

Saturday, Jan. 14

Washington at Seattle 4:30 p.m. FOX

New England at Denver 8:00 p.m. CBS

Sunday, Jan. 15

Pittsburgh at Indianapolis 1:00 p.m. CBS

Carolina at Chicago 4:30 p.m. FOX

***** I am confident of another step toward Super Bowl XL this Saturday.

***** I believe that Tedy will be back at full speed. IMO, he could have played against Jax, if BB had seen evidence that we couldn't hold the Jags without him. But the extra rest ensures a stronger performance this week.

***** The continuing stellar play of the other rest of the front 7 fills me with confidence that we can limit even the vaunted Broncos running game enough to force more Plummer passing that they want ... and a resulting return to his "Jake The Mistake" mode. My prediction is that the big INT in this game will come from Wilson on a frustrated "heave" by Plummer, in an effort to make something happen. This will come late in the 2nd quarter, with the Pats leading by 7. At least one more INT in the 2nd half, as Plummer forces the ball into coverage.

***** On offense, I look for the return of a well-rested Corey Dillon, and the launching of the Dynamic Duo of TE's, Watson and Graham, in receiving mode together on several plays. Lots of both of them in 2-TE sets to also help Corey's running game.

***** A quick start by Brady in this one, throwing the ball to all receivers, keeping the Broncos D guessing. Screens to Faulk and Dillon will reappear to take advantage of the Broncos over zealous pass rush early. When the rush becomes controllable, we open up to the intermediate and deep routes to TEs and WRs. Huge game for Branch!

***** PREDICTION: PATRIOTS 27 - BRONCOS 20 (Not that close. Last TD for Broncos with under 2 minutes to play.)