American Football

ChuckZ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardly a win for the Steelers, more like Seattle lost and the refs gave the Steelers the game.

Here is a good rundown of the game.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5310192

While I have to admit that was the Steelers worst game of the playoffs, they still won the game and it was not given to them. Seattle made a ton of mistakes, but so did the Steelers.

"ref's gave the game to the Steelers" wipe your tears and get over it. Clearly your tears have clouded your vision because the game I saw the ref did not give it away.

One for the thumb baby! :o

PKG

Hardly a win for the Steelers, more like Seattle lost and the refs gave the Steelers the game.

Here is a good rundown of the game.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5310192

While I have to admit that was the Steelers worst game of the playoffs, they still won the game and it was not given to them. Seattle made a ton of mistakes, but so did the Steelers.

"ref's gave the game to the Steelers" wipe your tears and get over it. Clearly your tears have clouded your vision because the game I saw the ref did not give it away.

One for the thumb baby! :o

PKG

Come on, PKG, take off those black and gold colored glasses. The officials directly affected both the scoring and the momentum in that game in the Steelers favor. That was NOT offensive PI by Jackson in the end zone. That should have been a TD, not the FG that followed. Roethlisberger CLEARLY did NOT get the ball over the goal line. That should have been a 4th down decision for the Steelers, and likely a FG, rather than the TD. Hasselbeck was making a tackle attempt, NOT throwing a block, and should not have been called for a penalty on that play. And the holding calls on not one, but 2 big plays by the Seahawks were both phantoms. No holding in sight.

You are correct in saying that the Seahawks did not play well. Neither, however, did the Steelers. Your "Big Ben" was 9 for 21, with 2 INTs, and no TDs. Real "big game" there, huh?

The Steelers got 3 big plays on the Seattle defence - the pass to Ward at the 1; the 75 yard TD run by Parker; and the "no surprise" option pass by Randle El to Ward for the final TD. No NFL defence worth a ###### can allow 3 big plays like that, and deserve to win. Seattle blew it, in that regard, despite outplaying the Steelers on offense and defence throughout the rest of the game.

But, despite their poor play, the still might have won that game with good officiating.

The Steelers, in my opinion, have absolutely nothing to be proud of in this "victory". They played an overall poor game, with 3 big plays, and LOTS of help from a horrible performance by the officials. Their rings should be cubic zirconias, rather than diamonds. It's an immitation championship.

George

Pats

You are blinded by jealousy. The PI call was clearly the right call, but I will admit they probably would have not called that in the regular season. Also big Ben did cross the line, he just got knocked backward before he landed.

Bottom line is the Steelers are the Super bowl Champs.

enough said , that can't be disputed.

Oh by the way that #5 for the Steelers, how many for the Pats? :o

you still can't be sore that the Pats lost early in the Playoffs, can you.

:D:D:D

PKG

Pats

You are blinded by jealousy. The PI call was clearly the right call, but I will admit they probably would have not called that in the regular season. Also big Ben did cross the line, he just got knocked backward before he landed.

Bottom line is the Steelers are the Super bowl Champs.

enough said , that can't be disputed.

Oh by the way that #5 for the Steelers, how many for the Pats? :o

you still can't be sore that the Pats lost early in the Playoffs, can you.

:D:D:D

PKG

I agree 100%, go Steelers

:D I'm a Steeler fan from way back, they won the game fare/square.

About the questionable touch down, yes he did cross the goal line while in the air, also he put the ball over the line after falling before the ball was blown dead. so the ball was still in play and it is legal to do so. It was a touchdown.

I must say this was the worst Super Bowl I have ever seen. Even some of the more “boring” blow-outs were better. While I will not go so far as to say the ref’s gave the game to the Steelers, the officiating was horrible. The sad state of officiating in the NFL in general has to be addressed. The combination of the horrendous officiating and a review of the game stats will make quite a lot of people question if the Steelers deserved the win or not.

Seattle had more first downs, more yards (by over 50 yards), less turn-overs, and had the ball for about six minutes more – and they lost the game. How does this happen?

Roethlisbergers stats are horrible – must be the worst by any winning Super Bowl QB

9/21 – 123 yds – no passing TD’s, 1 rushing TD, and 2 INT’s

I feel sorry for the Steelers (because of the remarks that will haunt them about not really winning the game, but being handed the game by the officials), for the Seahawk, and more importantly to all the true fans of football who were cheated out of a good game by terrible officiating.

I also feel compelled to comment about Roethisberger’s TD – look at the game footage. Not the close-up they showed a million times (which I also feel shows no TD), but the actual shot that was display real time during the game. At the end of the play the line judge comes running up the line (not displaying a TD) until he is about half way to the point where the ball is (after the play is dead), then he kind of hesitantly give the TD sign. I think he gave this call based upon the position of the ball at that time – after the play was dead, and not on what actually occurred during the play. This was certainly not the worst of the officiating calls of the day, I only wish this had been only “questionable” call of the day.

I congratulate the Steelers as a win is a win, and they are the Super Bowl champs – no one or nothing can take that away from them now.

Well said, TT. No objective NFL fan could possibly have enjoyed that game. The quality of play, and the quality of officiating, were both a low point in Super Bowl history.

But don't fret. Next season, the real champions will return, and give you quality play again! :o

GO PATS!!

George

I must say this was the worst Super Bowl I have ever seen. Even some of the more “boring” blow-outs were better. While I will not go so far as to say the ref’s gave the game to the Steelers, the officiating was horrible. The sad state of officiating in the NFL in general has to be addressed. The combination of the horrendous officiating and a review of the game stats will make quite a lot of people question if the Steelers deserved the win or not.

Seattle had more first downs, more yards (by over 50 yards), less turn-overs, and had the ball for about six minutes more – and they lost the game. How does this happen?

Roethlisbergers stats are horrible – must be the worst by any winning Super Bowl QB

9/21 – 123 yds – no passing TD’s, 1 rushing TD, and 2 INT’s

I feel sorry for the Steelers (because of the remarks that will haunt them about not really winning the game, but being handed the game by the officials), for the Seahawk, and more importantly to all the true fans of football who were cheated out of a good game by terrible officiating.

I also feel compelled to comment about Roethisberger’s TD – look at the game footage. Not the close-up they showed a million times (which I also feel shows no TD), but the actual shot that was display real time during the game. At the end of the play the line judge comes running up the line (not displaying a TD) until he is about half way to the point where the ball is (after the play is dead), then he kind of hesitantly give the TD sign. I think he gave this call based upon the position of the ball at that time – after the play was dead, and not on what actually occurred during the play. This was certainly not the worst of the officiating calls of the day, I only wish this had been only “questionable” call of the day.

I congratulate the Steelers as a win is a win, and they are the Super Bowl champs – no one or nothing can take that away from them now.

I like all this talk about the Steelers should not have won. It will give them something to prove for next year. A chip on the shoulder so to speak.

this is good for the Steelers.

PKG

If they bring that "chip" into Foxboro, they'll leave with a mouth full of sawdust. :o:D

Pats

He admitted on Letterman that he didn't score on that play. But he insisted he would have scored on 4th! :o

Edited by dclaryjr

“The game was properly officiated, including, as in most NFL games, some tight plays that produced disagreements about the calls made by the officials” – NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in a statement.

Unfukcing believable – Unless the NFL acknowledges the poor officiating that happened this year it will not get any better next year. Even you Steelers fans have to agree (after the Colts game) that the NFL needs to address problems related to poor/missed calls - not only in the SB, or even the playoffs, even in the regular season.

And again congratulations to the Steelers – If my earlier post made it sound too much like I was attempting to take anything away from them (due to the poor officiating) I was not. Poor officiating or not, once the game is done, it is done. And it is only right to acknowledge the Steelers as the current NFL Champions.

“The game was properly officiated, including, as in most NFL games, some tight plays that produced disagreements about the calls made by the officials” – NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in a statement.

Unfukcing believable – Unless the NFL acknowledges the poor officiating that happened this year it will not get any better next year. Even you Steelers fans have to agree (after the Colts game) that the NFL needs to address problems related to poor/missed calls - not only in the SB, or even the playoffs, even in the regular season.

Where is the ref before he moved the ball OVER the line?

hal8.jpg

more images at http://www.jsat.tv/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1139190457

Pats

You must have a special tv to see what you want to see, because you fail to mention about homegren ranting and raving on the side lines. Which look alot more than Cowher did.

Offical Report from the NFL

The game was properly officiated, including, as in most NFL games, some tight plays that produced disagreement about the calls made by the officials," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in a statement.

blind jealousy :o

Heck man you own coach even said the steelers are the better team.

PKG

• 5 months later...

I'm a UBC Gold subscriber, which includes ESPN and some sports networks I've never heard of. I live in Chiang Mai. So, do the cable TV listings in the Bangkok Post apply to all of Thailand, or will they be even less accurate for me than what's generally been posted here by our Bangkok posters?

Incidentally, I just moved here after 6.5 years in China. The only NFL I've seen has been the last two Super Bowls. The one where my hometown Panthers managed to keep it interesting, and the most recent, which I think we'd all like to forget like a bad dream. Tape delay of one hour on the first one, and I was in the kitchen during halftime making jiaozis anyway since it was like 9am, so I don't know if China saw the wardrobe malfunction.

Does the fact that the refs gave this Super Bowl to the Steelers make up for the fact that O'Donnell was paid by the Cowboys to throw enough interceptions to rob the team of "one for the thumb" several years ago? Nope. It still sucks.

Not that you care, but I'm loyal to many teams. I was a Steeler fan when I was in diapers, I think. Moved to Tampa Florida in time to watch the Buccaneer comedy, and became a Seahawk fan just because they entered the league at the same time. Returned home to North Carolina in time to watch my beloved Panthers start up. Love the Redskin name because I'm part Cherokee. Have hated Dallas every day of my life and always will. And so on.

Oh, and don't be surprised if I post waaaaaaay too much here. I haven't had a fellow fan to talk to in a long time.

UBC actually does a decent job of providing coverage of NFL games. Usually get three Sunday games (two of the midday games, and the Sunday night game), and the Monday night game. All shown live, and then randomly replayed thru the week. Generally can not bank on the monthly UBC magazine getting the times/teams correct for the entire month, so I usually pick up the Bangkok Post every Sunday to get confirmation to times/teams. It is no Direct TV coverage - kind of like what life was like back in the days of three TV stations in The States.

Don’t anticipate getting any preseason games. Patiently waiting for the season to start, and hoping none of the Redskins get hurt in preseason (Giants will be lucky to be half staffed if the injury rate keeps up for the entire preseason). Mr. Gibbs finally got things turned around after an initial year of struggle.

Hail to the Redskins.

On a college football note – the coaches poll has Ohio State ranked #1, and I might just get back to The States next month to catch the Texas/Ohio State game.

Go Bucks.

Hi TokyoT,

I loved Steve Spurrier so much before he took over the Redskins. Dang the luck. I watched Bandit Ball down in Tampa in the USFL, and he was a coaching god. Oh well. Gibbs is still Gibbs, and he's got quite a brain trust around him to help him adapt. I hope that NASCAR rumor is only a rumor.

You ever read TMQ's column? All those complaints about how folks overseas get better games than he does. I'm hoping to add Thailand to the list, after the preseason of course. Even if I have to lie. Nah, not really.

I dunno why I never got into the college football scene. Most of the NFL's second stringers and low draft picks come from my home state. Perhaps because my school didn't have a team. HOWEVER, Mom married into an Ohio family, so I hate Michigan. Oh yeah.

Spurrier did a good job down in Tampa, and was a great college coach. But did not adjust well to the NFL; Too much talent across the field in the NFL for his blocking/passing schemes to be as effective as in other levels. As I understand it Gibbs came back to the NFL mainly for his son – his son wanted to be more involved in the NFL and so Gibbs switched gears. I think his family was the main reason he got out in the first place (spending too much time on football and not enough on family), now that at least one member of the family is in it with him this time I think the next time he steps away it will be for health reasons, as apposed to wanting to be more involved in anything else.

Read TMQ on a pretty regular basis – as a mater of fact on another TV thread related to American style breakfasts in Thailand I quoted a Peter King comment in regard to Waffle House.

NFL is king for me, but still like to follow college ball – a good football game is a good football game and the Texas/USC game was far and away a better championship/football game the last superbowl. I did not go to Ohio State but pretty much anyone who grows up in Ohio, and likes football, like OSU. Good ol’ Woody Hayes – three yards and a cloud of dust football.

A new collective bargaining agreement (through 2011), a new commissioner (to be named tomorrow, thank god Condoleeza Rice did not go for the job that she routinely stated was the only job she ever wanted) and a new season (Miami at Pittsburgh, Thursday, September 7, 8:30 PM {Friday, 8 Sep. 7:30 AM Bangkok}. Bring it on.

We typically get four games each week here (live) on UBC cable, with multiple re-broadcasts. Two Sunday afternoon games ( a 1 PM game and a 4/4:05/4:15 PM game ) on here early Monday mornings, then the Sunday night game (now 8:15 PM) and the Monday night game (now 8:30 PM).

I see there are two games on Monday evening, September 11. I assume that's tied in to a 9/11 tribute?

Here's a little something from the June 1, 2006 issue of my newsletter. Nobody debated it in my blog, so let's see what happens here:

SUPER BOWL 2007

Copyright 2006, Michael LaRocca

Yeah, lemme pick the winner early this season.

AFC East - New England Patriots. The slide will continue to be a slow one, Miami will continue to improve, and there are no Super Bowl contenders in this division.

AFC West - Denver Broncos. San Diego is possibly a better team, but the QB change will result in a slow start, relegating them to the list of possible wildcards. Tough division. Kansas City will continue to excite, but they still have problems on defense and against Father Time.

AFC North - Cincinnati Bengals and Pittsburgh Steelers. A division champ and a wildcard, I don't know which is which, and probably a couple of Super Bowl contenders. If not, it's because the Bengals will implode. The Steelers will not implode. So with apologies to Bootsy Collins, I'm picking the Steelers. Again.

AFC South - Indianapolis Colts. That was easy. Hey, do you remember when Mike Ditka traded his wife and kids for the right to draft Ricky Williams, and then the Colts took Edge and said Edge was the guy they wanted all along? I've always believed them.

=====

NFC East - Dallas Cowboys. I despise more of them than I do folks associated with any other team in the league. I always have, I always will, and this is how it should be. But heck, I gotta admit the talent is there this time around, although I'm not as impressed with them as Peter King is. It's a tight division with perhaps four winning teams but no Super Bowl contenders in this division, so I don't have to expend too many brain cells on it.

NFC West - Seattle Seahawks. This time last year, I wrote them off, thinking Super Bowl 2007 would be their time. Nothing they did last year changes my opinion.

NFC North - Chicago Bears. Everybody else improved but everybody else still sucks. No Super Bowl contenders here, and I give the division to Chicago on defense alone.

NFC South - Carolina Panthers. I know this division well. I lived in Tampa during most of the orange pants years, then moved back home to North Carolina in time to watch the formation of the Panthers. New Orleans will improve to respectability and Atlanta will just keep sucking. Tampa will continue to improve, and probably slip in as a wildcard. But I have to love the new Smith and Johnson tandem, and Coach Fox can keep the egos from exploding here.

=====

Playoffs - As in previous years, I reserve the right to pick two teams from each conference.

AFC will be Steelers or Colts, with my gut screaming "Indianapolis!"

NFC will be Seahawks or Panthers, with my gut screaming "Go eat a pizza!" Which isn't too helpful. I ate Muslim noodles instead of pizza, and I still don't know whether to pick the Seahawks or the Panthers. Same problem Shaun Alexander had, innit?

Will I actually make the safe pick? Yeah, why not? Colts win the thing. I hope I'm wrong. I love my Panthers. But I choose the Colts.

Well I am too biased usually to make decent picks this early – h@ll I am too biased to make decent picks at the end of the season. But what the heck:

AFC East – I am going to go with Miami – I think they have been a solid QB away for many years and now they have one (Culpepper). Can never rule out the Pats but I think loosing Vinatieri will have a bigger effect then they expect.

AFC West – Denver Broncos, one of the toughest divisions in the NFL. I think KC’s running game will fall off from last year. Even though I love LT, and Gates, I think SD did themselves a great disservice by cutting Drew free. Art Shell might have been a decent move at coach, but Arron Brooks at QB – please.

AFC North – Baltimore – similar to the Miami case, they finally have a QB (McNair) that can take them to the next level. Biggest problem is I think Steve may be on his last legs. Pittsburgh has to overcome the curse of being last years superbowl winners, the loss of some real leadership since last year, and talk of this being Cowers last year. The first few weeks of the season will be a real test for Palmer; I think his injury from last year is still working on his confidence level and teams would be wise to put heavy pressure on him this season. What to say about the Browns – every division has to have a bottom. Sad too because I used to really like the Browns. I think this division really

over-performed last year and this year will be a wake-up call.

ACF South – Colts run away with this division yet again. This time due more to lack of real solid alternative then due to the superior skills – they have lost the Edge.

NCF East – Redskins – why because I am a Redskins fan and can not possibly pick any other team. The Giants did tons to improve on last years team. But they have been plagued by injuries in the preseason, and I think their offense is just not strong enough. The Eagles have the easiest schedule in this division; I think McNabb is not the man he used to be, Westbrook can not make it the entire season with out getting seriously injured, and they have no major WR threats; Solid group of starters on defense but lack in back-ups. Dallas is doomed due to the TO curse – and rightfully so. Glenn is faster than TO and I look for that to cause problems related to the patterns each are asked to run – when Glenn gets all the long ball patterns and TO is asked to do what he does best (short arm the crossing routes). Also I think the offensive line is worse than last year and Bledsoe can only give good performance when under ultra-protection. As for the Skins – all is good (well almost - QB). They have drastically improved at WR, have a couple of the best coaches in Williams (Defense) and Saunders (Offense). I think the key will be the Gibbs/ Saunders relationship. The weak link on the team is QB – can Brunell make it the entire season, and if not is Campbell going to be capable of making it happen in his place?

NFC West – Hawks by default – similar to the Colts. No real threat from anyone else in the division. Arizona has a combination QB and O-line problem, Rams lack a defense, and SF is in it’s second decade of re-building.

NCF North – Bears in maybe the weakest division in football. What has Favre smoking the other day when he said this was one of the best Packer teams he has been on anyway? Bears run away with this division, real shame they do not have a solid QB.

NFC South – Saints – Just because I like to mix things up a little, and I am really pulling for Drew. Tampa is solid, but also lack a top notch QB – they should never have let Johnson go. While Vick has some real athletic skills this does not convert easily to leadership or QB skills. Fun to watch the highlights, problem is the highlights are only a couple of minutes and the games is 60. Carolina is the most balanced team of the lot(Conference), and the Smith/Johnson duo have real potential. Panthers will certainly be in the playoffs.

Playoffs:

AFC: Miami, Denver, Baltimore, Indy, NE, and KC

AFC: Broncos or Miami coming out on top

NFC: Washington, Seattle, Chicago, NO, Carolina, Dallas (as much as it pains me)

NFC: Skins win it all

I'm a UBC Gold subscriber, which includes ESPN and some sports networks I've never heard of. I live in Chiang Mai. So, do the cable TV listings in the Bangkok Post apply to all of Thailand, or will they be even less accurate for me than what's generally been posted here by our Bangkok posters?

Incidentally, I just moved here after 6.5 years in China. The only NFL I've seen has been the last two Super Bowls. The one where my hometown Panthers managed to keep it interesting, and the most recent, which I think we'd all like to forget like a bad dream. Tape delay of one hour on the first one, and I was in the kitchen during halftime making jiaozis anyway since it was like 9am, so I don't know if China saw the wardrobe malfunction.

Does the fact that the refs gave this Super Bowl to the Steelers make up for the fact that O'Donnell was paid by the Cowboys to throw enough interceptions to rob the team of "one for the thumb" several years ago? Nope. It still sucks.

Not that you care, but I'm loyal to many teams. I was a Steeler fan when I was in diapers, I think. Moved to Tampa Florida in time to watch the Buccaneer comedy, and became a Seahawk fan just because they entered the league at the same time. Returned home to North Carolina in time to watch my beloved Panthers start up. Love the Redskin name because I'm part Cherokee. Have hated Dallas every day of my life and always will. And so on.

Oh, and don't be surprised if I post waaaaaaay too much here. I haven't had a fellow fan to talk to in a long time.

Hi Calico!

As far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as "posting too much" about the NFL! I have none of the "mixed loyalties" that live in your heart. I was born and raised in Boston, and I've been a Patriots fan, through thick and thin (MUCH more thin than thick until Belichick arrived!) since the team was created in 1960!

You are correct in your prediction that the Pats will win the AFC East. However, you are vastly underestimating Belichick, Brady, (ANGRY) Corey Dillon, Richard Seymour (the best DL in the NFL), and the rest of this highly motivated, highly intelligent, best coached team in the NFL, when you say that there is no Super Bowl contender in this division. Lombardi Trophy #4 in the last 6 years is being engraved with the words "New England Patriots" right now! :-)

patsfarang

Nice to see you posting again. Seems that you should be settled into Thailand by now.

I would agree the Pats have a heck of a coaching staff, and seem to be able to overcome injury after injury, and are certainly a contender for the AFC East. But I think Miami might just be in a position this year to give your boys some real competition.

BTW - the Skins play the Pats in the preseason later this month.

TokyoT, I'll just fess up here. I printed your predictions. I haven't read them yet. Busy trying to settle in and find things and so forth. I'll catch up soon.

Patsfangr, I agree that it's impossible to post too much about the NFL. Just being a goof with that, because I am gonna go on and on and on In this here forum topic. I know I am.

A long time ago, in a land far far away, I was a security guard at a place called TECO. Tampa Electric Company, down in Tampa Florida. The power company. I told my partner (Sherri) that I'd bet $5 on the Patriots winning the Super Bowl against Da Bears if she'd spot me 45 points. She agreed, we shook on it, and then she told me she didn't know what spotting points was. I explained. Well, a deal's a deal, right? I was ###### proud of myself until Da Bears won by 46. I believe $5 was two hours' wages back then.

I've mentioned TMQ before, but not SI or ProFootbalTalk or Football Outsiders. That last one has an upfront Pats fan in the cabal of authority. I told him what really annoyed me about his Pats beating my Cats is that I can't even hate the Pats. I have nothing but respect for the Pats, and I only root against them if they're playing my Panthers. What the heck kind of rivalry is that supposed to be?

Remember the Grogan/Eason years? Eason played his best when Grogan called his plays, because he had an awesome arm but no brain. Weird. And I think Raymond Berry is underrated as a coach. Oh yeah, I remember the Patriots. I also thought they had the coolest helmets before they switched to the Flying Elvis. But heck, I liked the Bucs when they wore electric orange pants and had Bruce the Pirate on their helmets, so don't trust my opinion on anything.

(And do I have to censor my language in these here forums? I forgot to read the rules. I used to be a hog farmer. Lordy me, we cuss. Let a hog step on your foot, and it's all "chingow" and "pinche pootah!")

patsfarang

Nice to see you posting again. Seems that you should be settled into Thailand by now.

I would agree the Pats have a heck of a coaching staff, and seem to be able to overcome injury after injury, and are certainly a contender for the AFC East. But I think Miami might just be in a position this year to give your boys some real competition.

BTW - the Skins play the Pats in the preseason later this month.

I am, indeed, fully settled in Thailand (Pattaya area) now, Tony. But I can tell you that I have done more physical work during the 4 months since my "retirement" to Thailand than I've done in the last 30 years prior to this! We're making major improvements and additions to our property here. We've added a small, 1-bdrm house for our neice, a 12x14 foot screened guest house, and a fully tiled courtyard (about 150 sq meters), and a lot of flora a fauna. It's been fun, but very hard work for an old dude!

I miss the opportunity to watch my Patriots in the pre-season. As a hopelessly addicted fan, I like to watch the new players, which is the only real area of interest in pre-season games. The vets play only for short periods of time, and there's no way to learn anything about the true capability of the team.

I'm getting ready for the draft in the 3 Fantasy Football leagues I belong to. I can't wait for the season to start. I just hope we get several Patriots games in the ESPN coverage here.

Hi again, Patsfangr,

I just realized that I got so far off the topic that I didn't comment at all on my contention that I see no Super Bowl contenders in the AFC East. Well, every time the Patriots won a Super Bowl ring, I thought the same thing.

Chad Johnson should be able to replace Givens, and it sucks that Bruschi's wrist is broken but I'll never write him off, and the Pats have the greatest coach AND the greatest QB in the NFL right now, and they've shown us all that they can win with fourth-string nobodies. But, well, if I thought about all those intangibles for every team all the time I'd never make a single prediction. Once upon a time, like 20 years ago, I was accurate about 95% of the time. It was easy before parity, but not as fun to watch.

Three years ago, I think it was, I picked the Jets. Back before we knew Pennington was like an egg back there. He can hurt himself falling down wrong, and he doesn't even need a dog in the driveway to trip over.

So what's my point? If anybody reading this is a fan of SF or Detroit or the Jets or the Falcons or some other obvious loser team, well, you suck. But Pats fans have much hope. We don't know what's gonna happen. Most teams have the potential to go for it. And we all know who doesn't, and their fans know they're delusional. The only way the Raiders or Browns can go to the Super Bowl is if they buy ticketws. Or the Texans, although that could change in a year or five.

But I still think the AFC belongs to the Colts this year. If it doesn't happen now, I guess it never will. Dungy's one of my heroes, Manning calls his own plays (I played QB so it matters to me, even if Manning does look and act like the second coming of Frankenstein's monster), and Vinatieri's a whole lot better in the clutch than that idiot kicker whose name I can't spell.

Here's a REAL blast from the past, folks. I wrote it in early 2005. Hang in there and you'll get plenty of NFL coverage. Enjoy. Or not, haha!

The Pied Piper of Pussycats

Evening. The day began in Hangzhou. Now we lived in Shaoxing. In between, the Picasso adventure that gave me a few more gray hairs. Maybe two hours after we “found” Picasso, Lou returned because it was time to buy me a bicycle.

You know how bicycles have those little racks on the back? In China, people ride on them. This evening was the first time that I ever did that. I also hope it's the last.

Riding back there is a bit rough on an old man's back, especially since I was in a bit of pain from the move and the exploration. It was probably worse on Lou's legs, tho, peddling with me on his bike. He was wearing a suit and tie, same as every time I've seen him before or after.

The first shop we went to was closed. We rode toward the second shop, but I had to get off before we passed the police station or else we'd get a ticket. We walked the rest of the way. The second shop was also closed, since it was still the Lunar New Year holiday.

Lou locked up his bike and we caught a cab to the big Western supermarket. I chose the ugliest bike I've ever seen in my life. Banana yellow. The brand name is Red Pepper. Made in Hangzhou. Also the cheapest bike in the store, since people keep stealing them from me. Nice ride, tho. A few days later I armed it with a second bell because a single bell is only background noise here, easily ignored.

I'd forgotten what working brakes are like. I never told you about wrecking into a car in Hangzhou and destroying the side view mirror, but it wouldn't have happened if my bike had had halfway decent brakes. The car was parked.

After we bought the new bike, Lou decided that he'd ride my bike to his bike while I rode in the back of a rented three-wheeled bike. Drivers wanted 6 yuan (US 75 cents) but he would only pay 3. The fourth driver in the long queue was willing to haggle. I love watching a master haggler. Finally, 3.8 and we were on our way.

I'm teaching at a Business college now, by the way. So what do we know about Li and Lou? Problem solvers and master hagglers. Yep, that's business.

Also, it takes a special skill for a Chinese person to haggle when the vendor knows he’s being bankrolled by a rich lao wei. Even if the lao wei is not rich and is not paying the bill. His white face is enough. No discount for you!

When we reached Lou's old bike, I followed him to his office to check my email, then returned home. My body was in some pain. Jan was worse, since she aggravated her back before we moved. I recovered first, but neither of us did it overnight.

Picasso, however, was in fine fettle. She slept a lot, as it'd been a busy day of moving and exploring. She didn't explore the woods, though. Only we did that. Finally she descended from the high cupboards that night to give me many long cuddles with loud purrs.

"Daddy, ask me why you got so attached to a cat."

Jan, who'd worked just as hard as I had, received no such treatment. She'd have to wait days for a cuddle. Typical Picasso behavior. Remember, she slept through all the excitement. And by the way, whenever Jan gets a great idea about how to improve something for Picasso, I always get the credit.

Also, Picasso was quite dirty. Crawling under washing machines and into the innards, to boldly go where no one has gone before, can do that. She needed to scrub herself for several days to get clean again.

The next morning, Picasso followed me around the flat, just like always, watching everything I did. Daddy's making coffee. Daddy's washing dishes. Daddy's using the toilet. Daddy's starting up the washing machine. Sounds good. I'm glad I'm not hiding in there.

Two days after that, Picasso watched me watch the greatest Super Bowl of all time. That was cool. Monday morning, February 2, in my time zone. The NFL website said CCTV-9. Our TV didn't get it, but Lou took care of that Sunday evening. Monday morning rolled around, and I learned the NFL website was wrong. CCTV-5, the sports channel, not CCTV-9, the English channel.

I watched the game with the sound off since it was in Chinese. I only turned the sound on during that halftime mascot feature to listen to Madden, Fisher, Cowher etc. with Chinese subtitles. I spent the rest of the halftime break making coffee, using the restroom, microwaving some food, etc.

That's right, young adolescent males, I missed Janet Jackson’s wardrobe malfunction. Possibly they didn’t show it here, since I read somewhere there was a one-hour tape delay I didn’t know about. You have Daylight Savings Time and we don’t, so sometimes we’re 12 hours ahead of EST and sometimes we’re 13 hours ahead, and I get confused.

Some jiaozi, eaten with chopsticks and dipped in a little soy sauce, is a perfect Super Bowl snack. How many other rednecks have ever told you that?

Also, my Super Bowl experience was like being at the game, since we had no commercials. Crowd shots and sideline planning shots. But, unlike being at the actual game, we had no obnoxious fans, no queues at the toilets, no godawful stank, and much better camera angles.

When the Panthers scored their first touchdown, Picasso leaped down from the cupboard, perched on my shoulder, and meowed and purred enthusiastically for a couple of minutes. She stayed awake to enjoy the rest of the game. Jan woke up for the Picasso display, then drifted in and out of sleep after that.

I followed every play just fine without the talking heads in the booth, and predicted every penalty before reading the ref's lips. I also read Delhomme's lips. After he threw the record setting bomb to Muhammad, he said, "Moose, you know you're my mother######er." Seems I wasn't the only one watching JERRY McGUIRE between the NFC Championship and the Super Bowl.

Incidentally, it was Super Bowl 38, not Super Bowl XXXVIII. I don't like Roman numerals because, when in America, do as the Americans do. Even when they're wrong.

Also, let's consider that the Super Bowl and the Picasso hunt each lasted four hours. Amazing the Super Bowl could move me so much that soon after the Picasso hunt. But then again, both had cats and losses.

After the game, Lou and I went to the police station to report that two new foreigners had arrived in Shaoxing. This involved watching an old guy fill out a lot of paperwork by hand.

At the desk opposite his, a cop had a lot of envelopes full of money to check in with a secretary that he seemed inordinately fond of. These, I presume, represented income from traffic tickets.

The good part came when the envelopes of money ran out. The secretary opened the next one, and a heavy watch plunked onto the desk. They laughed, so I laughed. She wrote it down on the sheet. Next envelope, five jade bracelets. Next up, two watches that didn't weigh so much. Cheaper watches or more expensive traffic ticket, I don't know which.

I noticed that, just out the window and down the road, was a night market. I guess they go hock this stuff out there, then someone buys it, then that someone gets a ticket, and the cycle continues.

So, if you're ever visiting China and you get a ticket, don't pay it. Just give the cops your personal belongings until they go away.

On the way back from the police station, I saw my third Calico in Shaoxing. Lou missed that one, and he probably never saw the one on the wall, and I think he has his doubts about Picasso. But once again, we live in Calico country.

For several days after the Picasso episode, Jan and I couldn't walk past the security guards without them meowing at us. Old Chinese peasants are the best.

The day after the game and the police station, when I returned home from shopping, a cat meowed at me from the other side of the wall. At the very spot where I'd ended the bait trail. Same meow as before, really not sounding like Picasso at all. I told ya, we were stressed that day.

I meowed back, he/she meowed, I meowed, he/she meowed, etc. I left the cat and went into the apartment, and heard it outside the sunroom window. Picasso was asleep at the time.

A few hours later, the meowing resumed. Picasso heard it. She sat on the top of her scratching post, looking out the window of her sunroom, wondering what the heck to make of that. She didn't respond, even though it lasted quite a while.

More cats? Please, not more cats. Don't make me out to be like a pied piper, attracting them wherever I go. Picasso doesn't want any more cats.

We moved to our new apartment on February 11, a full 10 days ahead of schedule, and it's absolutely fantastic. Picasso can't stop thanking me for her new home. Hopefully the cats won't find us here.

{Another little note. When Picasso flew from Hong Kong to Hangzhou way back in February 2002, three weeks after Jan and I made the trip, inside Picasso's cat carrier was one very sweaty shirt to remind her of my scent. It was a Carolina Panthers shirt, and her urine bleached the black ink right out of it. But you know, in 2002 everybody said "piss on the Panthers."}

Edited by CalicoConsulting