Koh Samui Music Festival 2005

Edited email just in.... looks like a great event and likely more acts to sign up.

(press release attached pdf)

"After the highly successful inaugural outing last year the Koh Samui Music Festival 2005 (KSMF 2005) organisers have today announced the dates of this year’s festival that expects to attract over 100,000 revellers to the island from 23rd September - 3rd October 2005".

"Reinforcing the festival’s reputation as Asia’s biggest live music event, KSMF 2005 will include a wide and varied mix of musicians and musical genres that made KSMF 2004 such a resounding hit – and organisers can confirm high profile international headline acts, UB40, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Wailers, Jools Holland and Dan Ackroyd’s Blues Brothers will be featuring in this year’s festival".

English_Headline_Release.pdf

I almost knew that was coming..I know it's Samui..but where on Samui? The only place I can think of is Escape and even that's not big enough to cater for a "big" event. Unless of course it's on the beach somewhere...? I looked on the pdf doc attached on the original post but couldn't really see.

• 2 weeks later...
I commend them for their efforts,but they say the expect 100,000 people over that period.How are they going to manage the traffic in Chaweng of all places?

I would hardly say 10's of thousands attended last years event, maybe a few thousand, 100,000 is a very high target, 20-30 thousand would still be a massive achievement.

It's great for Samui, and we should congratulate all those involved in promoting Samui as an Island for music lovers. Mint Bar in Chaweng is also doing a fine job bringing in international talent, although quite different musically, they do have some fine acts for those into more dance orientated styles of music. Seems like Samui is becoming the 'Hub' of all things musical in Thailand. :o

I notice that TAT is heavily involved in this, I wonder why they can't put their hands in their pockets and sort out something similar for Phuket. Samui is booming, maybe Phuket should get similar support?

Seems like Samui is becoming the 'Hub' of all things musical in Thailand. 

I very much doubt it :D There are'nt any really hot acts there.

BKK is still the place :D (although theres 2 hot bands in pattaya apparently) :o

No hot acts???

UB40, Ike Turner, Jerry Lee Lewis, Jools Holland, The Wailers, any of those ring a bell?

This event is bigger than any musical event ever staged in Thailand. Much bigger in terms of the Artists when you compare it to any Pattaya or Bangkok music Festival. And when compared to Hua Hin, well................................

I very much doubt it :D There are'nt any really hot acts there.

BKK is still the place :D (although theres 2 hot bands in pattaya apparently) :o

No hot acts???

UB40, Ike Turner, Jerry Lee Lewis, Jools Holland, The Wailers, any of those ring a bell?

This event is bigger than any musical event ever staged in Thailand. Much bigger in terms of the Artists when you compare it to any Pattaya or Bangkok music Festival. And when compared to Hua Hin, well................................

You've gone and got all confused i'm afraid :D

My comments were based on this statement-

ie the acts in Samui to make it the musical hub of Thailand not the acts going to play for the festival.

I'll probably go to the festival anyway as it has a great line up. :D

Edited by davethailand

Check this Thaiticketmaster link for full info:

http://www.thaiticketmaster.com/concert/samui_eng.php

Tickets from 1,000 baht, up to 22,000 baht for VIP for 10 days!?!?

Also:

http://www.kohsamuimusicfestival.com/

"Festival Style Standing Three Day Pass: 2,700 Baht"

I'd love to go for a weekend, but Hmmm... with the above ticketing, not sure I really want to stand for 3 days straight..?? Is there no place to at least sit down for 20 minutes sometime during that 72 hours?

:o

Much bigger in terms of the Artists when you compare it to any Pattaya music Festival.

Pattaya, Bangkok or even Hua Hin could have the same if there was a guy willing to put up the dosh like the organiser in Samui, (coco blues).

A musician said to me the other day that he reckons they are trying to monopolise the whole blues scene in thailand which IMO they will never do. I was interested why the famous BKK blues clubs were'nt part of the sponsership or advertising.

There are some famous blues guitarists in BKK that are'nt on the bill also only the farang blues bands (cannonball and soi dog.) :D

There is a pattaya music festival in the making now which will be held in october, I don't know who's lined up for it yet but I think they should concentrate on the local talent and local bands, there are some great musicians and bands in pattaya and surrounding areas and along with a few famous names which will undoubtably join (from thailand, no need to fly people in) and I think they are who it should be based on and i reckon it will be a great success like all previous events. :o

(my 2 bands are in there already)

Edited by davethailand

I *highly* doubt they are trying to monopolize the Blues scene in Thailand... however, being the only music venue sponsor makes lots of sense. Last year they had a dozen other clubs participate and CoCos got lost in the mix. Not particularly desirable for the ones whp put up the lions share of the cash.

Also, they will be putting up a big stage somewhere along the beach or the lake. Not quite sure where.

100K people going there is a bit ... uh .... optomistic. maybe next year - it takes at least 3 years for these kinds of things to get off the ground.

Of course, some sort of advertising would be nice. The ONLY reason I heard about it is because a friend of mine still hanging around Samui told me about it. They should be advertising all over Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, HK, etc etc if they really want everyone to come.

Incidentally, they had James Brown booked for a while. But he backed out due to schedule conflicts with his European Tour.

I'd also like to say that Coco's management is quite brave in moving on their bold vision of Samui... The best of luck to them indeed - it would only serve to be good for Samui in particular and Thailand in general.

Dave your right, I just found out from a reliable source that there isn't any real serious sponsorship involved. That means CoCo Blues are putting up all the dosh. That's a lot of $$$, I guess they assumed sponsors would jump on board once it's all booked up, guess they thought wrong.

Anyway regardless of that, this will be amazing, and if they prove themselves this year, i'm sure sponsors will be all over them next year.

It's nice to see someone take a gamble, this could be huge for the future of Samui, so fair play to them.

I agree with using local bands, but a think a mixture of local and international talent is much better, which is what they have done, they have some fine Thai acts booked, i'm particulary looking forward to T Bone.

You do need the international names to bring people in from abroad, it doesn't matter how good someone is, it's more difficult to pull a crowd if they are unheard of.

And unfortunatley most foriegners who know nothing about the Thai music scene will trun their nose up at it, this will be a great event to showcase the best of the Thai talent, and open peoples eyes.

And unfortunatley most foriegners who know nothing about the Thai music scene will trun their nose up at it, this will be a great event to showcase the best of the Thai talent, and open peoples eyes.

Spot on Womble and I'd add my vote of confidence- at least to the foreigners whom do attend, they would indeed have their eyes opened if they heard more of the excellent local talent, of which there are more than a few world class Thai musicians/singers/bands around. Hopefully more will be featured in future events but for this year, I suppose the organisers have to dominate with intnl headliners.

As you say, the main force behiond this (Coco) will have to pony up alot of the dosh to kick this year off but they're perhaps looking at the longer term and have had considerable experience behind "blues" fests, regattas, etc in the past.

Some cynics may say they're interested in their own profile, fair enough, but at the very least, they're sincere in providing Samui with a raised profile and top event(s). A good thing on balance imho and more local Co's and Corp sponsors could do well by showing support in the future.

Any one actually checked the schedules regarding Thai miusicians.

Sun 25th September 2005

Flow

Jasco

T-Bone

Modern Dog

Fong Naam

Sek Loso

Bet you never saw this Thai line up on the same bill before

Boot

Spot on Womble and I'd add my vote of confidence- at least to the foreigners whom do attend, they would indeed have their eyes opened if they heard more of the excellent local talent, of which there are more than a few world class Thai musicians/singers/bands around. Hopefully more will be featured in future events but for this year, I suppose the organisers have to dominate with intnl headliners.

As you say, the main force behiond this (Coco) will have to pony up alot of the dosh to kick this year off but they're perhaps looking at the longer term and have had considerable experience behind "blues" fests, regattas, etc in the past.

Some cynics may say they're interested in their own profile, fair enough, but at the very least, they're sincere in providing Samui with a raised profile and top event(s). A good thing on balance imho and more local Co's and Corp sponsors could do well by showing support in the future.

Any one actually checked the schedules regarding Thai miusicians.

Sun 25th September 2005 

Flow

Jasco

T-Bone

Modern Dog

Fong Naam

Sek Loso 

Bet you never saw this Thai line up on the same bill before

Boot

Not sure why Flow are in the line up with them? :o