100-Million-Year-Old Crocodile Species Discovered In Thailand

george

100-million-year-old crocodile species discovered in Thailand

post-128-0-36451600-1290728579_thumb.jpg

In this undated photo released during a news conference in Bangkok, Thailand, Thursday, Nov. 25, 2010 by the Northeastern Research Institute of Petrified Wood and Mineral Resources, the skull of an ancient crocodile which was dug in Nakhon Ratchasima, northeastern Thailand in 2006, is shown from the top. Thai scientists described the fossil as a new ancient crocodile species Thursday. Photo: Northeastern Research Institute of Petrified Wood and Mineral Resources

BANGKOK: -— A new species of crocodile that lived 100 million years ago has been identified from a fossil found in Thailand, researchers said Thursday.

Komsorn Lauprasert, a scientist at Mahasarakham University, said the species had longer legs than modern-day crocodiles and probably fed on fish, based on the characteristics of its teeth.

"They were living on...

Full story from AP: http://www.boston.com/news/science/articles/2010/11/25/100_million_year_old_crocodile_species_discovered/

<"A new species of crocodile that lived 100 million years ago has been identified from a fossil found in Thailand, researchers said Thursday.">

I think they mean an old species, after all it has been around for 100 million years. How can they tell it had long legs from looking at the skull? How do they know it ate fish and do the current crocks not eat fish? How do they know it is a crock and not some other beasty?

Great story .... keep up the good work! :whistling::rolleyes::lol:;)

<"A new species of crocodile that lived 100 million years ago has been identified from a fossil found in Thailand, researchers said Thursday.">

I think they mean an old species, after all it has been around for 100 million years. How can they tell it had long legs from looking at the skull? How do they know it ate fish and do the current crocks not eat fish? How do they know it is a crock and not some other beasty?

Great story .... keep up the good work! :whistling::rolleyes::lol:;)

Maybe you need to read the full publication of the Geological Society of London, rather than just the single news release publish in (nearly) every newspaper on the planet.

Thaius Crocodilus Politicus Anciensis

Known to lurk in dark and dirty shallows with a penchant for stealing and hoarding other species wealth. Known for turning left after appearing to want to turn right. On opening its belly it was discovered to have consumed an enormous amount of paper money.

Hats off! My first chuckle of the day.

In reality, it evolved into the political dinosaurs that plague Thai politics to this day.laugh.gif

Known to lurk in dark and dirty shallows with a penchant for stealing and hoarding other species wealth. Known for turning left after appearing to want to turn right. On opening its belly it was discovered to have consumed an enormous amount of paper money.

Somebody had Chavalit tested?

Cheers guys, you gave me a chuckle this morning!

animatic

Somebody had Chavalit tested?

thai-at-heart.

I larf , I larf , I pee I self.cheesy.gifclap2.gif

New species of ancient crocodile discovered in Thailand’s Northeast

BANGKOK, Nov 26 – Researchers discovered a new species of crocodile which lived about 100 million year ago in Thailand’s northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima, or Korat.

Nakhon Ratchasima Rajabhat University and Mahasarakham University announced at a press conference on Thursday the discovery of the new species of crocodile dubbed ``Khoratosuchus jintasakuli” after the nickname of the province “Korat” where the fossil was found. The last name comes from the surname of the director of the Northeastern Research Institute of Petrified Wood and Mineral Resources, Pratueng Jintasakul.

The fossil, kept at the Northeastern Research Institute of Petrified Wood and Mineral Resources in Nakhon Ratchasima, is a 191-millimetre-long skull dug up from an excavation site in Baan Saphan Hin near Nakhon Ratchasima’s provincial seat.

According to a study, the fossil is from the Cretaceous period Khok Kruat Formation of Thailand’s Northeast. The fourth ancient species of crocodile found in Thailand, it is estimated to be around 100 million years old.

Komsorn Lauprasert, a scientist at Mahasarakham University, said the size of the skull indicated that it was likely about a two to three year old specimen

and its body was about two metres long. The characteristics of its teeth showed that it probably fed on fish. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-11-26

I think I met her in the Thermae in 1982

They dont all eat fish...

Some eat golfers, check out the pics.

His ball was in the pond on Hole 16 at Oak Crest Golf Club.

It was a brand new Titlelist with the Verso logo on it and he

didn't want to loose it OR take the two stroke penalty as he was

already behind in $$$points...!!!

post-12069-0-29055800-1290773898_thumb.j

post-12069-0-76107500-1290773915_thumb.j

post-12069-0-08120600-1290773942_thumb.j

I'm outdoors clamoring over rocks - in north Thailand - most hours of every day day. I always hope I'll find a fossil or stone tools or something of interest. Not much yet, though I have found some crystals and a rock shaped like a large spearhead. I also found a large rock with indentations which fit the left hand perfectly, all five fingers and thumb ...except it has a space for a sixth digit outside the little finger. Alien species? Oh and a tractor with a scraping blade uncovered traces of ancient kilns. - the best me and my buddies can deduce, is they were metal smelting kilns, shaped like brick igloos, dating from 300 to 500 years ago. details

Anyhow, any such pre-history finds are good news for Thailand. Usually, Thailand makes the international news for weird or stupid reasons. Oh, and four Thai ladies won the 4 X 100 meter relay at the Asian Games - waaaaay to go!

Are there still any modern crocodile species roaming wild in Thailand? Or have these all been wiped out too?

Weren't there a heap washed away from farms in the recent floods? They talked about a native species in relation to that I think.

Are there still any modern crocodile species roaming wild in Thailand? Or have these all been wiped out too?

Yes there are but they've changed their habitat from one of murky marshy pools and a diet of fish to brightly lit plains with shiny poles and a diet that takes in more meat. ;)

Not thought to be in the wild any more (they've all been eaten), though some of the bigger parks supposedly have them.

Thank God they didn't discover it last year. It would have been a real hassle to say they discovered a 99,999,999 year old crocodile. :D

:lol: