Raising Liquor Tax Will Save Lives: Thai Academic

webfact

Let's save the lifes of all these Bordeaux addicts and increase the tax on these Chateau Margaux bottles! At least they can do something good for the flood victims.

But remember: studies show that 75% of all alcohol consumed in Thailand is so-called "white alcohol" (aka moonshine) without any tax.

Many years ago I use to make my own Vodka and become an addict but I am dry since 9 years and very happy I stop.

Why not the government increase the penalty for illegal made alcohol?...

Ok I should have read farther before my last post. But I hit it on the nail. You DON’T drink and are putting your thoughts on the TV people the same as a Christian missionary would do for what they are preaching. NOT GOOD!

I will drink for life and will never be forced to quit because of being not able to handle it or bodily dependent.

Cheers!

uncletom

Alcohol is much to cheap in Thailand and a tax raise would do good for the country...ex. alcohol tax to support the poor population.

100 THb for a small beer sounds ok and 200 THB for a big one.

Let's see:

A 1 liter bottle of Whiskey, say Black Lable is THB 1100 and has 41% alcohol, which is 410 ml of alcohol. Thus 1 liter of pure alcohol costs 2,682 THB.

Now, a 075 liter bottle of a low quality red wine cost (as an example) THB 1,100 and has 13% alcohol. Thus 1 liter of pure alcohol here costs 11,282 THB.

Now, what would you buy to get drunk?

And now make the calculations with a cheap Mekong spirit and an expensive wine.

To tax alcoholic beverages on the price (instead of alcohol content) is absolutely stupid. The result of this misguided policy is that high content alcohol is much much cheaper that low content. If one really wants to fight alcoholism, then clearly this taxation must change. To increase tax linearly will in fact make hard liquor (relatively) cheaper!

Then I would suggest to ban the policy seen in many night clubs and bars that customers must buy a whole bottle of spirit. A single drink is not available.

Lets cut to the chase and call the statement what it really is BULL SHIT.

i would second that. Seems the academic needs little more education and perhaps common sense.

Sad part is not only he is a DR but most likely also does lectures educating people.

From what i know deaths because of alcohol in Thailand are due to car accidents and "bad" alcohol.

So here is a thought, enforce anti drink driving laws and close down all the "home made" alcohol.

Unless of course the whole exercise is just to get more tax. I guess they do not get enough from the cars and other imported goods.

Good one. I find it interesting that hardly anyone on this post is saying that alcohol consumption in Thailand by either Thais or farlang is a problem.

I've said it before and I'll say it again just for you. Excessive alcohol consumption is a problem. I myself could probably use a few disincentives to consumption. However, blindly raising the tax by a huge amount will do nothing to stem the consumption of alcohol. It will most likely have the following effects:

1) Increase the consumption of home brewed beverages

2) Support the smuggling and black market industries

3) Possibly lead to a decrease in tax revenue due to #1 and #2

If you want to increase the tax and have it do any good, you have to do it very slowly over an extended period of time. This idiot academic wants a massive increase right away, and that is just stupid. Nobody who truly understands the problem believes that solution will actually help. This is nothing more than a fanciful theory by an academic with too much book knowledge and not enough practical experience.

Do you honestly think the government wants consumption to decrease in alcohol sales?

Same with tobacco. They're electronic cigarettes that are beginning to affect slightly tobacco sales, so what does the our gov't do? Begin discussions on the safety of these things, why because of the nicotine found in their chemical make up. Look if you use tobacco you get nicotine, but you pay a hefty tax.it's a legal drug.

Electronic cigs pay no tobacco tax, big loss of income for gov't, so they'll have to be regulated and taxed. Does the gov't care if they're safe for user and harmless to non users. No it's all about the money, not the safety of their constituents. Just how to make gov't bigger and stronger.

While alcohol and tobacco are different products, their alike in one aspect, It's all about the money.

This idiot academic wants a massive increase right away

Really? It doesn't say anything in the article about the timescale for this so why do you think that's what he wants? And I'm assuming that his work is - as he says - backed by research, whereas those who are criticizing the idea are saying nothing more than something along the lines of: He doesn't know what he's talking about because he's an academic. Which is bizarre, when you think about it because what you're claiming is that he knows nothing about public health (because he studies it) whereas those who don't study it, know more. And they know more simply in virtue of the fact that they don't study it. That has to be the most absurd claim imaginable.

Do you honestly think the government wants consumption to decrease in alcohol sales?

Maybe, maybe not. My mind-reading skills aren't working too well today but it's not desperately important. Reducing alcohol consumption will save lives - most importantly, the lives of those who are killed by drunk drivers and abusive partners and parents - so I'm not really that bothered what the motives are.

This guy has apparently been on the anti-booze tee-totaling warpath for quite some time, and has some sort of bone to pick with those who like their afternoon tipple. He has close academic colleagues in the Peoples Republic of Minnesota. That speaks volumes in and of itself.

From this flyer, it's very clear that this guy wants government to prevent people from consuming alcohol.

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~gnam/Spring_2009/Flyer%20-%20Alcohol%20Consumption%20in%20Thailand.pdf

We've all seen what happens when governments try to prevent people from doing things that they are free to do and want to do. That is the law of unintended consequences. The best known example is the massive rise of the Italian, Irish and Jewish mafia and associated murder, mayhem and rampant corruption during US prohibition, followed closely by the prolifically failing war on drugs.

This guy needs to stifle and get back to minding his own business.

What a dolt. Alcohol is already grossly over-taxed in this country! The problem is the bottom end of the scale, as mentioned. Tax the average Jo and you get nowhere other than remove more money from his pocket and piss him off. He will still drink!

I do not believe that any tax will benefit anyone who is not on the receiving side of the law. Anyone who does believe this, including the dreamers who say so in these posts, are doing simply that; dreaming.

I do not believe taxing liquor will reduce drinking. Why is that?

Food gets taxed, and people are still getting fat.

Petrol gets taxed, and the roads are getting overcrowded.

Alcohol is more dear to the heart than a dish of rice or a battered old Honda motorbike.

Some f the stupidest people I know have a collage education.B)

They have degrees in comparative flower arranging? They glue a number of disparate and unconnected objects together and then call it art? :lol:

My keyboard, not for the first time, was swamped with coffee after taking this onboard. A typo that struck a chord with me. Thai politicians must have been awarded a university degree before they can take their seats in Parliament.  Given their performance says a lot about the Thai education system.  

Let's save the lifes of all these Bordeaux addicts and increase the tax on these Chateau Margaux bottles! At least they can do something good for the flood victims.

But remember: studies show that 75% of all alcohol consumed in Thailand is so-called "white alcohol" (aka moonshine) without any tax.

Many years ago I use to make my own Vodka and become an addict but I am dry since 9 years and very happy I stop.

Why not the government increase the penalty for illegal made alcohol?...

QUOTE : 'The tax amount for white spirits, for example, can rise three-fold if the government decided to impose the maximum tax rate.'

Apparently, according to this thread, there is no tax on the only 'white spirit' here aka Lao Khao. Or was this 'Academic' referring to vodka only?!

Life's difficult and to quote Ben Okri, 'sometimes you need to get a little drunk to cope with life's difficulties.' (sic).

For those that have the money, quality alcohol is available. For the majority of Thais (poor) it's only those who can only afford the poisonous Lao Khao who suffer. Has this Academic or the Government taken the time to research Public Hospitals on which 'brand' kills quickest? Or are they too busy quaffing their wine/single malts et al?

If they could ban this sht in Ireland (and every other country producing and selling openly), they could ban it HERE.

Edited by evanson

This idiot academic wants a massive increase right away

Really? It doesn't say anything in the article about the timescale for this so why do you think that's what he wants? And I'm assuming that his work is - as he says - backed by research, whereas those who are criticizing the idea are saying nothing more than something along the lines of: He doesn't know what he's talking about because he's an academic. Which is bizarre, when you think about it because what you're claiming is that he knows nothing about public health (because he studies it) whereas those who don't study it, know more. And they know more simply in virtue of the fact that they don't study it. That has to be the most absurd claim imaginable.

Maybe, maybe not. My mind-reading skills aren't working too well today but it's not desperately important. Reducing alcohol consumption will save lives - most importantly, the lives of those who are killed by drunk drivers and abusive partners and parents - so I'm not really that bothered what the motives are.

Your comments are fair although there is no information regarding the academics research which is probably false or non existant. However you miss the real issue as many have pointed out -

Increasing tax will not solve the drinking problem it is and always will be simply and means for government to raise revenue. If you want to solve the problem the academic needs to develop a different approach and develop a strategy to transform a large percentage of the Thai population to become responsible citizens and take their place in a civilized although not perfect world.

If increasing tax on alcohol decreases consumption, what does a tax-increase on work do?

Truth is that increased tax on alcohol, cigarettes etc does *nothing* to decrease the consumption, since neither products are the typical impulse-purchase-products that a consumer might pick up on the way to the cashier but avoid if it is too expensive...parties are formed around alcohol, cigarettes is [also] addictive etc...

But the government will get more money to waste, squander and steal from the people. Just like back home.

It seems amazing that anyone could object to attempts to control alcohol consumption in Thailand. If you spend 5 minutes here, it's clear that it's a major social problem. The carnage on the roads is an obvious example. Less easy to see, but far worse, is domestic abuse, both physical and sexual. It may seem outrageous to a wealthy foreigner that he - and it is always 'he' - has to pay a bit more for his beer but it's probably less obvious to the abused wife and child who get battered about, and worse, when the husband comes home steaming. And the fact that village-made spirits are untaxed isn't a reason for not putting up taxes on other types of alcohol; it's a reason for taxing them too.

I have no problem with trying to cut down on the death's caused by alcohol. But that is not what the tax is about. People will still abuse alcohol just buy a cheaper brand or make there own..It is just talk to impress the people who don't know what is happening also to get more money.

If they really wanted to cut the death rate they could crack down on drinking and driving.

Not in this life time. If they could make money by doing that they would. But they can't make any money so they won't.:(