How Much Would A Driver Cost In Isaan?

ClareQuilty

I'd like to know if anyone has any idea how much it would cost to hire a driver up here in Isaan. Maybe two separate figures - how much for one who speaks English, and how much for one who has little or no English, as I'm sure the two would be different. For years my elderly mother has considered moving to avoid the winter and the high costs of care in the USA, and I have a fluent English speaking caretaker in mind, but she can't drive (she wants 10,000/month, so anyone know if that's too much?).

she wants 10,000/month, so anyone know if that's too much?

Depends totally on how good she is, if she's good and what you need, then 10,000 doesn't sound too much to me, sounds fair. If she's smart, then it's not too much of an effort to teach her to drive. Rather than hiring a driver, I'd spend the money on someone teaching her to drive

Agree with hansnl that nurses at state hospitals make less than that but they have long term security that you can't offer

According to ADECO Thailand Salary Guide 2009-2010:

Executive Driver

Wash car in the morning, send the boss' children to school, come back to the house again fetch boss to the office and stand by at the office, do filing work. If boss needs to go out, send boss to an assigned destination.

With Diploma THB 8,000 20,000

Driver (Goods/Products)

Responsible for driving to assigned destination, running errands with good driving record and billing.

With Diploma THB 8,000-15,000

I think that THB 10'000 is too much for a driver without diploma, living in Isaan. Above figures are for drivers in the Bangkok area. I would offer THB 6'000 plus health insurance (about THB 10'000- 15'000 a year).

According to ADECO Thailand Salary Guide 2009-2010:

Executive Driver

Wash car in the morning, send the boss' children to school, come back to the house again fetch boss to the office and stand by at the office, do filing work. If boss needs to go out, send boss to an assigned destination.

With Diploma THB 8,000 20,000

Driver (Goods/Products)

Responsible for driving to assigned destination, running errands with good driving record and billing.

With Diploma THB 8,000-15,000

I think that THB 10'000 is too much for a driver without diploma, living in Isaan. Above figures are for drivers in the Bangkok area. I would offer THB 6'000 plus health insurance (about THB 10'000- 15'000 a year).

10,000 to 15,000 baht a year? You have to be joking.:o

10,000 to 15,000 baht a year? You have to be joking.:o

Thai salaries are expressed by the month ;)

Back to the OP, I'd say 8-12k /month for a local who'd prefer to be back in the hometown rather than stationed in BKK would be considered good money. How you find the right person is another story - best of luck! :D

If your mother's safety and well-being is scarcely worth $200 a month to you, then I hope she isn't thinking about leaving you too much in her will.

6,000 baht a month for a full time driver is barely above the legal minimum wage for anywhere in Thailand and, as MikeyIdea pointed out, there is a world of difference between a job with a limited future and one with long-term security (pension/lump sum on retirement, maternity leave, sick leave, health care, etc). Pay the minimum and that is what you will get (and what you would deserve).

The best advice so far, by far, is again MikeyIdea's: if you've got a suitable person in mind already to look after your mother then pay her what she's asking (or more, if you are giving her the extra responsibility of driving) and teach her to drive properly, and it'll save you money and worry.

And as TransAm asked, where in Isaan? If its in an urban area (and while it may surprise some members, Isaan is not all rural villages which would be highly unlikely to be suitable for an "elderly" western lady), then you should expect to pay urban rates.