Thai Boxing, Where To Go?

ratcliffe

Please can someone advise me where to take my parents to watch Muay Thai boxing, either tonight or tomorrow. Could do with a venue, times and prices please.

I know the place next to Top North Hotel but don't know if its any good or even open. Is the place on Loy Kroy all stanged??

Thanks

The free fights on Loy Kroh road are usually staged. But, they usually have weekly events that you have to pay to watch. I imagine those are real fights. But, the staged fights are no less exciting. The guys put on a pretty good show. They don't seem to be pulling any punches.

The one next to Top North Hotel is running several nights a week starting at 9pm for the record, but they don't actually start til more like 9:30. The last time I went, it was packed with tourists in the 400 baht area, but plenty of room in the 600 baht closer seats. The first fights are little guys and the fights get progressively better as the fighters get bigger one fight after the other. The last fight is usually a foreigner against a Thai and always the best fight. It is a fun atmosphere with Thais running around looking for bets, noisy and crowded. I think your parents would have a great time. Other than the nice ladies who will bring you your beer-on-demand, there's not a bargirl scene like the ring on Loi Kroh. If memory serves me, they have fights on Monday and Thursday, but they had one on a Friday a couple weeks back, and I think they have more if the crowds are big, and they have been. Swing by, they have handouts promoting the next fight at the entry and someone is there to ask as well.

Edited by huli

What you are looking for is the Kawila stadium over by the Kawila military barracks on the East side of the river. it's the venue to see some real muay Thai fighting and hang out with the locals. There is a premium on prices for Farang as usual, but talk to any tuk tuk driver saying you live here and that you want something more like a local price. Chances they can arrange a better price for you, if not for all of your party. Not sure of the fight days btw,... but I think they occur twice a week. Talk to a tukky right away !

What you are looking for is the Kawila stadium over by the Kawila military barracks on the East side of the river.

So they are open at Kawila again? I went there one friday 2 or 3 weeks ago and I was told they were closed. So I went the other night to Tha Phae Stadium. At least one fight was definitely not staged. Eventually one of the fighters got upset, ignored the referee and didn't stop beating the @#$ out of his opponent until he was knocked out with a broken nose and broken leg crouched on the floor. Nasty, nasty.

Talking to the TukTukkies is a good idea. They will take you there for free as they get a commission.