Change Of Visa

After taking what I thought was best advice from my school I tried to register in the town i work in. I am currently on a non o visa but working in my school (they assured me this is ok as i have a contract). I wanted to register in the area so tried to do this today (3 months up) They told me that I would have to do a border run as I am on a multi entry o visa. They also explained that i only have one month more before I will be working illegaly. This is what they have told me I need to do and in this order.

1/ get letter from school proving I am to be employed

2/ Contract (not temporary) stating length of cotract as this how long I will get the visa for

3/ I will need to leave the country to get my visa altered to a b visa.

4/ apply for work permit

5/ register in amphur

This is not how it has worked for other teachers. They have been able to register before getting a work permit. Because of this i am wondering if any of you experts can give me the lowdown on what is needed. I have gotten a new stamp today but aparently will be teaching illegaly if this is not sorted by next month (told by the guy on immigration from cambodia, who we had a long discussion with).

This is a long post so thanks for bearing with me on this.

Neil

You are already working illegally, as you don't have a work permit. Only with a work permit can you work legally.

No, you don't have to leave the country. You can apply and recieve a work permit on your current non-O visa permision to stay. Once you have a work permit, you can get an extension of stay based on employment as a teacher.

Get the papers from your employer and apply for a work permit on Tuesday.

No need to register at the amphur.

You seem to have a multiple non-O. This gives you a permisison to stay of 90 days, after which you need to leave th country and can return (as long as the visa is vali) to get another 90 days. If you get a work permit you can get an extension of stay for 1 year based on your employement. Then you would not have to leave the country.

So get the WP and go to immigration before the 90 days are up. If you can't make it in time, just go to another country and come right back in.