Thai Friends Mother Has Died..

ozzieovaseas

Hi Guys,

As the header says, a plutonic Thai friends mother has passed away recently and i would like to offer condolences to her, and other family members who can't speak English.

They live upcountry, so i am limited to a text message or a short phone call. I speak very basic thai, but i can do whats needed if i rehearse the words first and have them in front of me ( written in phonetic English) while on the phone.

Can anyone advise of a appropriate way to go about it?

Maybe a few words in Thai for "condolances" or whatever it is that thais would say in these circumstances.

I would appreciate it if you could include thai text and the phonetics written in English. I have looked on a few of the thai-language websites but have had little luck with it.

thanks in advance.

Ozzie

ผมขอแสดงความเสียใจต่อการจากไปของคุณแม่ด้วยครับ

pom khor sadaeng kwam sia jai thor karn jaak pai khong khun mae dauy krub

Far too long for a foreigner who doesn't speak Thai to memorize.

เสียใจดัวยครับ - sia jai doowai krap

- will not only suffice, but it will be heartily appreciated that the farang tries to express his condolences in Thai.

Speaking from experience. Don't make it overcomplicated.

ขอแสดงความเสียใจ "khaw sa-daeng khwahm sia jai" means "My condolences". Literally, it translates to something like "May I express my sorrow", and it's the "fixed phrase" used in situations like this. Of course, if you're male, you should also add ครับ "khrap" to the end for extra politeness.

Some notes on pronunciation: "khaw" and "sia" are both rising tones; all the other words in the sentence are mid-tones. To make the mid-tones, speak in an even monotone, like a robot. For the rising tones, say them as if they had a question mark after them. --khaw? sa-daeng. khwahm. sia? jai. (The "Khrap" you need to stick on the end is a high tone, though--just say it like you would when you say "khawp khoon khrap" or "sa-wat dee khrap" and you'll be understood just fine.)

Edit: crossed posts with Joy and Tom--anyway, I guess mine strikes a happy medium between the two.smile.gif

Edited by Peppy

Thankyou so much for all your contributions...I can get something out of all of them.

The "sia jai" word i already know and strangely enough have had to use it on the odd occasion, but i wasnt sure how to utilize it in this particular situation,or how to phrase it.

You guys putting it in a sentance form was exactly what i needed :jap: