Teacher In Cal., Thinking Of Teaching In Thailand

mayacan

Looking for your thoughts.....I'm a teacher in Los Angeles, California. I have been teaching high school for 14 years and coaching basketball for about 20 years at the high school and college level. I have recently met a sweet Thai woman who lives in the Korat area (Khonburi), and I'm thinking of leaving here to start anew in Thailand. I have taught over seas before in South Korea back in the early 90's and loved my stay there. I actually fell in love and married a Korean woman. We have been divorced for 3 years and life has been kind of empty without her. Now I've met this wonderful woman, and so the thought of living over seas again has entered my mind. :o

I recently just spent 3 weeks in Thailand with her, and we had a great time trqaveling to Ko Samui, Ayuthaya, Bangkok, and her hometown. So I have been researching the teaching market in Thailand. I have an idea about the range of pay, and conditions, and actually this site has been very helpful too. I'm 48 years old now, and I'm pretty set here at my current job, this is actually my best teaching and coaching position that I've ever had. It's an excellent teaching situation and the our basketball team is one the best every year. So, am I crazy to be thinking about changing my life at this age?

What are my chances of getting into a good teaching situation with Thai top pay? and....Does anyone have an idea about the possibility of acquiring a coaching position at a University or Junior National level? How much support does basketball receive in Thailand? I would value any thoughtful insight, thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Almost nothing is consistent in Thailand, so there is no right answer to your question.

There are a small, very select positions that pay 80-90K baht a month. Those are not always based on qualifications but having the luck, connections and timing to get them. In fact, qualifications aren't always read correctly here. I have a US teaching certification, a BEd, experience etc, and I've been asked if I have completed a six week TEFL certification a few times. Not to say a TEFL course is a bad thing, but that's a sign that the interviewer does not know what a BEd is.

The more common good paying jobs are in the 50K range. (For a five day week teaching in a bilingual or international school.) The job market tends to have the most openings for Kindergarten teachers and early ed, and they will always favor a lesser qualified young female over a male. And even if you make 50K if you are trying to save for retirement and want the option of living back in the US, 50K is not as good as what you are probably putting in your state pension now. (I'm not from CA, so I don't know your state's plan.)

If you are patient and come in July, that's when most international schools start to hire. You can get a job from overseas, but you want to check out this:

http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/index.php?mforum=tswmk2

a few schools that have bad reputations here hire from overseas. While I'd prefer to see a school before taking a job being hired from overseas often includes a free plane ticket. (With various restrictions though.)

Even if you just show up, you will get a job. You will.

I taught in the US and I came here because on a non-tenured salary I was bound to be stuck with a crappy lifestyle and/or a ton of debt. The lack of respect for teachers in the US is appauling. Personally, I thought leaving the current political situation there was a big plus too.

The day to day frustrations in schools here eat some serious teachers alive. It gets to me a lot, but I try to remember that the US system is flawed too. Half the Thai teachers I work with can't keep track of time and their classes run late or they arrive late. This takes up a fair amount of my prep and class time. I have to fill out paperwork to get a pencil. When the people who are supposed to order my supples or make my copies screw up in huge and creative ways they look at me like I'm crazy to expect it the way it should be. (I am, should know better by now.) The lunch lady comes by to ask the kids what they want to eat in the middle of my first grade class at a different time everyday. (No, she can't ask later, no, she can't make a sign-up sheet, no, she doesn't understand why I don't like it.) At school a teacher was threatened by his ex-girlfriend's powerful family and left the country without telling the school. Another teacher was switched to teach his classes mid-year without any notice. Or teachers get switched because of some other reason they won't tell anyone. That sort of thing.

So, it depends on what you want. You will get a lot of holidays and travel more easily here. Most places, students are more respectful than you will ever have seen before. You will most likely have a better lifestyle than you could afford back home. If you have kids or are thinking about it, sending them to school here will most likely be very expensive or lower quality than in CA. It'

Almost nothing is consistent in Thailand, so there is no right answer to your question.

There are a small, very select positions that pay 80-90K baht a month. Those are not always based on qualifications but having the luck, connections and timing to get them. In fact, qualifications aren't always read correctly here. I have a US teaching certification, a BEd, experience etc, and I've been asked if I have completed a six week TEFL certification a few times. Not to say a TEFL course is a bad thing, but that's a sign that the interviewer does not know what a BEd is.

The more common good paying jobs are in the 50K range. (For a five day week teaching in a bilingual or international school.) The job market tends to have the most openings for Kindergarten teachers and early ed, and they will always favor a lesser qualified young female over a male. And even if you make 50K if you are trying to save for retirement and want the option of living back in the US, 50K is not as good as what you are probably putting in your state pension now. (I'm not from CA, so I don't know your state's plan.)

If you are patient and come in July, that's when most international schools start to hire. You can get a job from overseas, but you want to check out this:

http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/index.php?mforum=tswmk2

a few schools that have bad reputations here hire from overseas. While I'd prefer to see a school before taking a job being hired from overseas often includes a free plane ticket. (With various restrictions though.)

Even if you just show up, you will get a job. You will.

I taught in the US and I came here because on a non-tenured salary I was bound to be stuck with a crappy lifestyle and/or a ton of debt. The lack of respect for teachers in the US is appalling. Personally, I thought leaving the current political situation there was a big plus too.

The day to day frustrations in schools here eat some serious teachers alive. It gets to me a lot, but I try to remember that the US system is flawed too. Half the Thai teachers I work with can't keep track of time and their classes run late or they arrive late. This takes up a fair amount of my prep and class time. I have to fill out paperwork to get a pencil. When the people who are supposed to order my supplies or make my copies screw up in huge and creative ways they look at me like I'm crazy to expect it the way it should be. (I am, should know better by now.) The lunch lady comes by to ask the kids what they want to eat in the middle of my first grade class at a different time everyday. (No, she can't ask later, no, she can't make a sign-up sheet, no, she doesn't understand why I don't like it.) At school a teacher was threatened by his ex-girlfriend's powerful family and left the country without telling the school. Another teacher was switched to teach his classes mid-year without any notice. Or teachers get switched because of some other reason they won't tell anyone. That sort of thing.

So, it depends on what you want. You will get a lot of holidays and travel more easily here. Most places, students are more respectful than you will ever have seen before. You will most likely have a better lifestyle than you could afford back home. If you have kids or are thinking about it, sending them to school here will most likely be very expensive or lower quality than in CA. It's not a vacation teaching here but a year here probably won't hurt your career at home and I think that I've become a better teacher from the experience.

Sorry if I was a bit long -winded, I have had a frustrating week and been doing some thinking myself. :o

Well stated Pearl.... The Trend of new CAL teachers has not been that impressive lately.. teachers and students "get togethers"

You sound like you have the adventure streak based on a relationship.. Hmm.. do it for yourself FIRST.. Because like the man says, Things change..

BKK has the job, but also those demanding parents..

Well stated Pearl.... The Trend of new CAL  teachers has not been that impressive lately.. teachers and students  "get togethers" 

You sound like you have the adventure streak based on a relationship.. Hmm.. do it for yourself FIRST..  Because like the man says, Things change..

BKK has the job, but also those demanding parents..

Thanks guys for your insight on my blurb. I'n just looking into the teaching situation in Thailand. I have taught before over seas in Korea back in the 90's, and loved it....and yes, this is somewhat based on a relationship with a woman I met on last trip to LOS back in July & August.

Therefore I'm in no hurry to make a move. This is something that I might be willing to do within the next 2 to 5 years if this relationship works out. I plan to visit this woman's home and stay with her for 10 days next Easter break, and then again next August for a month. I'm in rush to leave my current job.

I am kind of an adventurist, but I realize that if & when I make a move, it will be my last. My current teaching position is an excellent situation in a small top level private high school where I'm well respected by my colleagues & the parents. I'm the head basketball coach of one of the best small school programs in the state, and I live by the beach in Los Angeles.........

If the right situation opens up for me and the relationship with my lady blossoms, then I would have a wealth of knowledge on this situation thanks to people like you.....thank you again

I use to be an army recruiter in Los Angeles in Whittier, Pico Rivera, and Santa Fe Springs. I have an idea what the kids their are like. The bad kids are monsters and the good kids are monsters who havent gotten caught yet.

Living in Los Angeles country for 4 years was the final straw that broke the camels back. I am from the USA but now I never want to live there again.

The kids in Los Angeles are rude to their teachers and to others. I think you would love teaching here. The kids give you a lot more respect (at least in a small village) here than they do there. There are no gang bangers, dope heads, goths, preppies, valley girls, taggers, or kids and parents trying to sue you for something you said.

My advice, get out of LA as fast as you can. Leave everything. Escape. Kurt Russle did it (or was the Escape from NY?). LA is a trap. Average cost of a home there is $400,000. You can have a very nice house here for $25,000. Sell everything and move now before its too late!

The only reason to stay in LA is because your burried there. I hate LA.

I use to be an army recruiter in Los Angeles in Whittier, Pico Rivera, and Santa Fe Springs. I have an idea what the kids their are like. The bad kids are monsters and the good kids are monsters who havent gotten caught yet.

Living in Los Angeles country for 4 years was the final straw that broke the camels back. I am from the USA but now I never want to live there again.

The kids in Los Angeles are rude to their teachers and to others. I think you would love teaching here. The kids give you a lot more respect (at least in a small village) here than they do there. There are no gang bangers, dope heads, goths, preppies, valley girls, taggers, or kids and parents trying to sue you for something you said.

My advice, get out of LA as fast as you can. Leave everything. Escape. Kurt Russle did it (or was the Escape from NY?).  LA is a trap. Average cost of a home there is $400,000. You can have a very nice house here for $25,000. Sell everything and move now before its too late!

Richard,

Thank you for honest opinion. I'm a native Angeleno, so I used to our children, and their lack of respect, they learn this from their parents.

I taught in South Korea back in the early 90's, and fell in love with the kids, and reverence that they have for educators. I constantly tell my students about my experience and the respect that I received from everyone there. As I mentioned, we have a great situation in our private school, we actually have great kids. So we don't get the problems that are in the public schools.

But I feel you and maybe you fell me as well. I think having taught in Korea, and finding a certain level of peace of mind, that I'm getting ready again to leave the rat race, and the stress of living in L.A. for a change of lifestyle, and possibly a good woman to share life with.

My advice, get out of LA as fast as you can. Leave everything. Escape. Kurt Russle did it (or was the Escape from NY?).  LA is a trap. Average cost of a home there is $400,000. You can have a very nice house here for $25,000. Sell everything and move now before its too late!

Richard,

Thank you for honest opinion. I'm a native Angeleno, so I used to our children, and their lack of respect, they learn this from their parents.

I taught in South Korea back in the early 90's, and fell in love with the kids, and reverence that they have for educators. I constantly tell my students about my experience and the respect that I received from everyone there. As I mentioned, we have a great situation in our private school, we actually have great kids. So we don't get the problems that are in the public schools.

But I feel you and maybe you fell me as well. I think having taught in Korea, and finding a certain level of peace of mind, that I'm getting ready again to leave the rat race, and the stress of living in L.A. for a change of lifestyle, and possibly a good woman to share life with.

Living in Thailand is an incredible amount of peace of mind. It is almost 2 years now since I retired and almost every night my dreams involves being a soldier. Perhaps, my mind finally has the time to deal with the issues of being a soldier.

I would not be suprised if you have similiar dreams of LA teaching when you move here. I wonder how many other people have similiar dreams about their former lives before they came here. I think I will start a new topic.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this and 'American' orientated string, so forgive a Welshman for butting in.

I think, in a nutshell, the advice is that you're not exchanging the worse for somethining better. You're quite simply changing for what you know for something completely different.

As Pearl so eloquently put it on the one hand you could be dealing with a bunch of respectful, eager students - the next minute you're filling in forms in triplicate or for the most basic requirements(or, as I heard from a colleague from a former school he taught at, book the photocopier 3 days in advance.

I taught for over 20 years in the UK in Further Education and had come to despair of the uncouth, ill-mannered, disrespectful and often threatening nature of students these days.

I've just started at a university here in Thailand and I can't say everything's perfect (one of the American staff walked out today) but I assume it's just what you're prepared to put up with for just getting by.

I'm on a good salary (for Thailand) and am looking to rent a property locally. Apparently you can get a good sized property in this area for around 3,500 Baht a month.

So, the short answer is what you want. You ain't going to get rich here - but if you're happy with a richer life (with many many many hassles) then hey, come on over (Thailand if full of us weirdies).

On the other hand, if you like the predictable, the faimiliar, the regular - then don't bother.

Before making the jump, try making contact with a teacher over here - come and visit him/her. Talk to them and possibly visit where they teach so's you can get an idea.

In the meantime, don't change what you know for what you don't!

:o

Edited by Welshman

.Does anyone have an idea about the possibility of acquiring a coaching position at a University or Junior National level? How much support does basketball receive in Thailand? I would value any thoughtful insight, thank you!

Basketball isn't as popular in Thailand compared to other Asian countries such as the Phillipines.

The most popular played team sports tend to be football or volleyball. Amongst the richer Thais, golf and tennis are very popular too.

However, about a month ago while I was football training at Chula University, on the next pitch to us, were young female students playing rugby. It is a sport you don't expect to see young Thai girls play. So that just goes to show that anything is possible. I'm sure if your enthusiasm rubbed of on your Thai students, you would be able to encourage them to play basketball. :o