Thai Driver 'S License

abhaya

Umm........is it possible to pay a bribe and get a motorcycle and or car lisence? Not that I would ever do such a thing, God forbid! Just curious. Haven't stepped foot on home turf in 17 years, and have no intention of doing this any time soon to get the prerequiste int'l license. I had the wife get a Thai drivers license through a Driving School just for ocassional grand day when we rent a car, but she can barely get out of the parking lot. Anyway no names or places but this being the Thailand anything is possible. Thanks

Yes, but it depends on the office. It's probably easier out in the sticks.

The tests are easy though, if you can't pass them you should really be thinking about not driving. The arrangement at the office where I got my license was that I had to do the tests as normal, if I failed then I could pay, they wouldn't just let me pay without at least trying.

If you have a valid license from home then I think some offices will give you a Thai license even if you don't hold a IDP, mine wouldn't and as my IDP had expired I had to do the tests.

Yes, but it depends on the office. It's probably easier out in the sticks.

The tests are easy though, if you can't pass them you should really be thinking about not driving. The arrangement at the office where I got my license was that I had to do the tests as normal, if I failed then I could pay, they wouldn't just let me pay without at least trying.

If you have a valid license from home then I think some offices will give you a Thai license even if you don't hold a IDP, mine wouldn't and as my IDP had expired I had to do the tests.

Thanks. I'll have her talk to her driving school, I reckon they must "know" someone at the license bureau- if they issued her one they'd probably give one to a blind person.

Well maybe not, the test is in a parking lot and in no way tests real on the road driving skills. My wife passed her test easily without bribes but I don't let her drive unless it's an emergency!

If you can drive forwards, backwards, hill start, turn a corner and parallel park then you can pass the car test. The bike test is similar, turn a corner, figure of 8, cones and ride along a raised strip. There are links in this forum to revision questions in English for the multiple choice theory test.

I'd say just do the test normally and if you fail ask them about making things easier for you..

The new tests are computerized.

So you can't bribe yourself in.

I know that's not true rolleyes.gif

I failed the computerised bike theory by 1 question but as they were waiting for me outside to do the practical the nice lady fixed that for me. I don't think they would let a computer system cut them off from some extra income.

Anyway, all this must be against the law so the OP should just suck it up and do the tests, they are easy!