Buying Furniture A Joke

fred007

My wife and have been looking to purchase new furniture for an upcoming move....Bad Mistake in Thailand .

Tried SB furniture to buy a 3 seater leather lounge the country were leather is in abundance only to be told by the manager one month to order.I then ask if we could purchase the display

floor stock only to be No It went on and on with every item we looked at No stock No stock .30 days one month order.Same deal At Index .

What type of business do these large companies run? I ask don't you have a warehouse with stock in it only to be told its not our product line so we do not keep stock.

What a .......JOKE ....It seems to me 80% of Index and SB furniture is not there own line .So if you want something within a month forget it.....Mega Store at least 100 sales Staff

Selling Nothing but thin air .These two Companies Index and SB would not last 5 mins in the real world .....for example Ikea and Harvey Norman.......All Floor stock Available at

The Warehouse or they will discount floor stock to accommodate the customer.

SB and Index your companies are a Joke...........mad.gif

Most places in the Uk hold NO stock its all made to order .......reason who wants a warehouse full of stuff they might not sell in the colour you might not like . Storage costs money so they make it to order.

Do you have shares in with Index or SB Furniture by any chance? Would like a managers position with them you have got the job biggrin.gif

..................................................................................Start Monday...........................................................................................................................biggrin.gif

Most places in the Uk hold NO stock its all made to order .......reason who wants a warehouse full of stuff they might not sell in the colour you might not like . Storage costs money so they make it to order.

Do you have shares in with Index or SB Furniture by any chance? Would like a managers position with them you have got the job biggrin.gif

..................................................................................Start Monday...........................................................................................................................biggrin.gif

:) Can I get you a tissue?

I am shopping for new furniture right now and have not had the same issues. Then again I have not limited myself to SB and Index (though I did order a livingroom set from one of them.

After I returned from living in Thailand to the States, I had to completely furnish the house. About half the furniture was delivered within a day or two or ordering it. But the other half took 6 weeks to arrive because it had to be made after ordering. The higher the quality, the more likely it had to be made on order. If it was anything but a very standard color, it had to be made on order.

After I returned from living in Thailand to the States, I had to completely furnish the house. About half the furniture was delivered within a day or two or ordering it. But the other half took 6 weeks to arrive because it had to be made after ordering. The higher the quality, the more likely it had to be made on order. If it was anything but a very standard color, it had to be made on order.

Yeppers, there are some places like the 3rd floor at Seacon Sq where you can buy leather furniture that is in stock and have it delivered the same day.

Why go Index or Sb . . when you can have everything off the stocks from a Thai-chinese run big furniture store ? They are everywhere. And they have nice stuff if you dare to check them out thouroughly. Prices are negotiable, and they deliver to your doorstep !

We're talking here about Index and SB not about any even acceptable for the western world quality standard.

We're talking here about Index and SB not about any even acceptable for the western world quality standard.

Oh?

Were you discussing stores in this thread? Other than suggesting the sales people might actually be manufacturer reps?

The title of the thread is "buying furniture a joke". I and other have suggested looking other places than just Index and SB (and that I did not have that problem with what I ordered from one of those 2 stores :)

I have found buying furniture to be fairly easy and straight forward in Thailand. In the US when buying furniture it was almost always a wait on sofas etc due to fabric/color choices. Here the color choices from the big players in the furniture business are limited. That should suggest that orders would be easier to fill, but invariably having more choices usually means that the one that you want is available to be made. (running out of a given fabric when you only have 2 or 3 choices creates major supply-side delays.

I suppose you'll be glad that you didn't leave it till the last minute, then.

Not as if a sofa is a particularly urgent requirement.. If you're moving house, you should have plenty of packing cartons, and they'll last a month if you stuff them properly.

It's always nice to get the decorating done before the furniture arrives, or at least before the wrapping comes off it.

Congratulations in the new home and all thebest for the future.

SC

Oh?

Were you discussing stores in this thread? Other than suggesting the sales people might actually be manufacturer reps?

Just bought a new couch on the top floor of the mall bangkapi, decent selection for Thailand, delivery same day B)

The title of the thread is "buying furniture a joke". I and other have suggested looking other places than just Index and SB (and that I did not have that problem with what I ordered from one of those 2 stores :)

I have found buying furniture to be fairly easy and straight forward in Thailand. In the US when buying furniture it was almost always a wait on sofas etc due to fabric/color choices. Here the color choices from the big players in the furniture business are limited. That should suggest that orders would be easier to fill, but invariably having more choices usually means that the one that you want is available to be made. (running out of a given fabric when you only have 2 or 3 choices creates major supply-side delays.

its just too bad that Ikea isnt here in thailand at the moment, its a shame that there isnt much competition and the local players monopolized the market selling cheap chip board furniture at the cost of a teak wood one. its always good to buy from the suppliers, try googling for a furniture company and order directly from them, it will be cheaper and the waiting time shorter.

C'mon, next year Ikea will open a new shop in BKK.

and then you can get the furniture right away, but spend six weeks putting it togetherbiggrin.gif

I do not mind spending 6 weeks putting them together. My only worry is having to replace them after just sitting on them once...:lol: Pine wood anyone?

buy at tesco if u want it fast.

But i agree, i recently ordered a Lazy-boy chair... (how long can it take to make? this company is huge)

took 1 month to the day for delivery.. Annoying as hell. In my country if i had to wait 1 month i would get a discount

My point simply is that I didn't find buying furniture in Thailand to be much different than in the West. Some furniture could be picked up for delivery almost immediately, another piece of furniture I bought in Thailand took about a month. The OP seems to think that all furniture should be sitting in a warehouse ready for distribution. I just haven't found that to be true about half the time, whether I was in the States or in Bangkok. Again, it depends on what you want to buy. And if the OP doesn't like a particular furniture outlet, he can go somewhere else.

My point simply is that I didn't find buying furniture in Thailand to be much different than in the West. Some furniture could be picked up for delivery almost immediately, another piece of furniture I bought in Thailand took about a month. The OP seems to think that all furniture should be sitting in a warehouse ready for distribution. I just haven't found that to be true about half the time, whether I was in the States or in Bangkok. Again, it depends on what you want to buy. And if the OP doesn't like a particular furniture outlet, he can go somewhere else.

concur

concur

William the Concurrer, most amenable King England ever had...

Although I do like IKEA furniture, the shop itself infuriates me; having said that, after a bad experience at another store, the last furniture I bought came from there, without complaint.

SC