Emergency Travel Document Uk Citizen- Bangkok

Has anyone used one of these from the Bristish embassy in Bangkok. Basically a friend of mine has had their passport stolen, their visa runs out next week and they have to do a visa run. But of course they don't have a passport OR proof of visa but they have a copy of the passport? They are off to the Embassy tonight/tomorrow or Monday due to the holidays this week.

Basically;

1) Can you do a visa run on a ETD in order to extend ones stay in Thailand?

2) I know they are valid for 5 Countries but for what length of time are they valid? I know it stated emergency travel but a visa run is an emergency as you have to leave the Country.

3) They want to continue their trip without having to wait for 6 weeks in Thailand for a new passport (probably more over the xmas period) is this possible?

Many Thanks,

Angsta

I am really curious how this thread will turn out. As far as I know, an emergency travel document will allow you to make exactly one trip: From whereever it was issued back to your home country. If this is different with the UK, I'm willing to learn.

In any case, a lost/stolen passport must be reported to the police immediately (they are open 24/7, so the long weekend is no excuse) and "your friend" may need the police report to even apply for the travel document. The embassy is open tomorrow, there is no need whatsoever to wait until Monday either.

Expect both the police and the embassy to ask funny questions about the circumstances of this unfortunate loss of a document that can be sold at a fairly high price in Thailand. I'm not saying that this is what happened, I'm just recommending to be prepared for the questions. The number of questions will increase with every hour the loss is not reported to both police and embassy.

Good luck.

According to the website it can be used for 5 different countries? I am unsure how it actually works? Wierdly I was with an ex-girlfriend in India maybe 2 or 3 years ago, she was mugged and her bag stolen and se was furished with a new passport in 10 days.

What is an Emergency Travel Document?

Unlike your normal passport, which is valid for 10 years, an Emergency Travel Document (ETD) is valid for a prescribed journey to up to 5 destinations (not just back to the UK), within a specified time, after which it will become invalid. As the name suggests, it is designed to be issued quickly, to enable you to travel at short notice.

The police know but he is not in Bkk so has to travel from darkest Issan to get to the embassy.

Edited by angsta