Home Less People Phuket

drum

They can always get food and a bed at any temple, but this is just a temporary help for men.

nothing for the women,ive seen a young women with a baby usualy begging in the night market,just made me think is there no help for these people

nothing for the women,ive seen a young women with a baby usualy begging in the night market,just made me think is there no help for these people

For many of them, it's an occupation (they come down from Burma with the express intent of begging). I kid you not.

For many of them, it's an occupation (they come down from Burma with the express intent of begging). I kid you not.

A lot of them are run by organised gangs.

Begging is a profession and quite a lucrative one.

There does not seem to be any assistance for homeless or sick/poor people here or very little.

There again how can this be done when most people do not pay or pay very little tax including farangs.

I think the government is doing the best it can with the funds available.

The gasstation just north of the big roundabout south of Thalang seems to be a place that attracts homeless people. Several times people who were laying or idling around on the benches under the gazebo (sala)asked me for money, cigarettes and so on.

On the big market that is there three times a week in Khao Lak there are also people begging, locals told me they are people from somewhere else.

Edited by keestha

I see the same woman and her baby sitting on the walkway in front of movenpick every night. She seems to make quite a good living from what I have seen.

Not long ago there was a article in the Phuket Gazette about the police cracking down on the beggars in Patong.

They picked up a male who begs regularly,he had over 3000 baht on him him which they made him give to the local temple.

Probably his days takings.

I watched a beggar at the weekend markets in Phuket town, he took the money out of his begging bowl regularly when he

thought no one was watching and left just a few baht in it, he was doing very well.

When i was still lived in Aussie a undercover newspaper reporter mixed in with the people begging in Perth WA

They where making on average $500 a day and still collecting social security,why would they work for a living

when they are making that sort of money, i believe centrelink the government social security department ended

up sorting them out.

I was sitting chatting with a Thai friend when an old guy came up to us with his hand out. My friend told him if he was hungry he could go to the local wat. The old beggar guy said 'I'm not religious' (lol) My friend replied 'Maybe you're not religious. But you're certainly mad!)

I see the same woman and her baby sitting on the walkway in front of movenpick every night. She seems to make quite a good living from what I have seen.

if its the same you ng women i have abit of a soft spot for her and the child,i give her a few bt and buy her some food and clothing for the child,she dose not seem to be doing so well to me,ive even got the g/f giving her food, and she dosen't have much time for beggers ,certainly will not give money,but food she will,,

stupid question,,how do you know if there really down on the luck, and homeless

Most of the beggars I saw in the Naka markets were developmentally delayed (used to be called 'mentally retarded' before we all became PC) or had mental or physical illnesses. The girl with the baby I saw there - the baby looked like it had hydrocephalus. Definitely something not quite right.

I gave them some money.

I would perfer this to buying flowere from kids who should be home in bed and attending school.