Accident With Bike Insurance

BIGJIMMY

Hi, just a query, a had a friend who recently had a motorbike accident, long story short is that whilst pulling out of a junction turning left when the light had just turned green he was hit from behind by a Thai man on a motorbike who had jumped the red light and wasn't looking ahead but was looking to his right to avoid the oncoming traffic, he jumped the red light, drove around other green light drivers then failed to see my friend, he hit his exhaust pipe with his bike, both bikes went down, my friend had scrapped legs but was otherwise okay, his bike only dented, the Thai man suffered more, he had a broken collar bone, lost half a finger and his (very old) bike was written off, as soon as it happened there were a few 'onlookers' claiming it was my friends fault, the police turned up etc and a few days later it cost my friend a total of 45,000 baht to the man and police.

My question is: my friend has insurance for theft and 3rd party, I asked him why he didn't call the insurance company first but he thought it would be a waste of time and really only got the insurance to cover the theft of the bike - if he had called the insurance company - would the outcome have turned out different, as in the insurance rep would be in his corner etc??

Thanks in advance.

Jimmy

When you say 3rd party.. i presume you mean the extra insurance (2,000b for 2 years). in that case he should certainly have called the insurance and yes it would probably have turned out differently.

seconded

Insurance doesnt want to pay unless they have to. Police backs off more easily when insurance is present, so do "witnesses".

In general, never admit fault, or actually do not speak, until you insurance rep asks you to speak

When you say 3rd party.. i presume you mean the extra insurance (2,000b for 2 years). in that case he should certainly have called the insurance and yes it would probably have turned out differently.

seconded

Insurance doesnt want to pay unless they have to. Police backs off more easily when insurance is present, so do "witnesses".

In general, never admit fault, or actually do not speak, until you insurance rep asks you to speak

Can someone clarify, what happens generally if a car is hit by a bike in the rear and say needs the bumper replacing? Can we take it that it is a normal Wave type 125 that has the two statutory tax/insurance items. IS the insurance that the bike has adequate. I see this regularly and just wondered.

seconded

Can someone clarify, what happens generally if a car is hit by a bike in the rear and say needs the bumper replacing? Can we take it that it is a normal Wave type 125 that has the two statutory tax/insurance items. IS the insurance that the bike has adequate. I see this regularly and just wondered.

Nope the owner of the vehicle will have to claim off his insurance - but will not loose his NCB as not his 'fault'

seconded

No, most bikes, I guess all below 200cc, have no third party damage insurance.

So if you dont have 1st class to cover your vehicle, and dont want to pay it yourself, your best shot is if the bike rider has done something illegal/is in breach of traffic code, then the Police can force him to pay. If not, its a civil case, just forget it.

If a car rearends you and have no insurance, driver is in breach of traffic code and can be forced to pay with Police