Young Farang Women In Pattaya?

regretterien

In hindsight, that title sounds a little sketchy, but I digress.

Hi, all! :) I just moved to Pattaya, and I am completely overwhelmed; so much to take in here! So far, though, I absolutely love it.

Anyway, the reason for this topic: my dad and his fiancée work all through the week, and so I'm left to my own devices. In other words, I'm bored. I take a motorbike taxi to the gym, work out, and then walk home. That's about it.

It's still kind of scary to me to go out exploring on my own (I'm not comfortable here yet, particularly with my lack of Thai language knowledge), other than to the gym and back, and so I was wondering if there were any groups that met up around Pattaya. I'm eighteen years old, and will be heading to university in Bangkok in the spring, but, for now, I'd love to get to know some people around my age that live nearby and could meet for a coffee or a girls' night out every now and again. Anything to get me out of the house and out of my shell a little bit now that I'm in sunny Pattaya. :)

ETA: Also, if you have any recommendations of places to check out in Pattaya, please let me know. Particularly if they are places where I won't feel so out-of-place if I go alone. Bonus points if they're good for people on a tight budget and are easy to reach.

Edited by regretterien

Have you been to Koh Larn Island? It's FAR, FAR lovelier than any beach in Jomptien or Pattaya. It's an easy 40 minute ferry ride to the main community on the island, and it only costs 20 baht each way. Then it's a short motorbike ride to one of the many beaches. You can hire a motorbike or get one of the many scooter guys to haul you over the hill for about 20 baht. I've hiked over the hill many times and it's only about 2 kilometers. The road is steep but worth it because you can take photos of the beach from the top. There are other beaches as well that are a bit further and less crowded. The water is clear and it's not bad for snorkling to watch the sea life.

Boon_at_main_beach.sized.jpg

That is Koh Larn off in the distance.

Jomptien_Tower_9.jpg

the above photo was taken from the top of the Jomptien tower... which is another place to visit on your own. If you are adventurous you can take the cable trip back down.

Tanya_3.sized.jpg

Hi and welcome to Pattaya!

I'm not as young as you but I'm not a retiree either - I'm in my 30's. I have been living in Pattaya for over a year now. Despite what some people will say, I've found it's safe to go most places by yourself. Just keep your wits around you as you would even at home and you'll do fine.

Here are a few suggestions to get out of the house for a while.

Central Festival is a huge mall and is great for window shopping if you just want to waste some time. The basement has very inexpensive places to eat but there are fancier restaurants scattered throughout the mall - all kinds of international dining. And there's a really nice movie theatre. You will find a blend of movies from the west and Thailand. It might be fun for you to check out some of the Thai flicks and they all have subtitles in English. Gives you a sense of the culture and you might pick up some new words while you're watching. The mall is right on Beach Road and any motorbike taxi driver will know how to get you there if you say 'Centran' (I don't know why they don't say it with an L). :)

Websites so you can check them out (I don't know if we can post links now so I'll break them up)

Mall : w3 dot centralfestival dot co dot th

Movies: booking dot sfcinemacity dot com

The beach is fun for walking and good exercise, whether it's the one in Jomtien or Pattaya. Another poster mentioned Koh Larn and yes it's more quiet and beautiful there, but I went there by myself once and didn't have too good a time. Just to relax it's great, but I think it's better to go there with a friend or family, just my personal opinion. When walking on the beach in Pattay, yes you'll see prostitutes but you are a woman and they won't hassle you - smile and they smile back and that's about it. It's nice to sit and watch the ocean or you can get a relaxing massage right on the beach for about BHT 200-300. I don't recommend the manicures or pedicures though because it can't be too clean there in the sand for that. If you fancy just having them painted, go for it, it will be cheaper than at the mall. ;)

Another nice place to spend some time is Canterbury Tales, a used book store. They also have a restaurant there so you can eat and read for as long as you like. No air conditioning so dress cool. They are within walking distance of Central Festival Beach Mall. Here is their website:

canterburytalescafe dot com

I don't know what your hobbies are - you could take a cooking class to learn how to make Thai food. One school is in-between Pattaya & Jomtien - Easy ABC - you would be part of a group and they speak English.

w3 dot easy - abc - th dot com

Hope this gets you started and you feel at home soon. I have found that Pattaya is a fun place to live. If you want to get together sometime LMK!

Kind regards,

WaatWang

WElcome to the forum and good luck! Can't give you much help about Pattaya specifically I am afraid but I know there are actually a few women who post on the forum that actually live there (like WaatWang)! :o

Hey, check out www.chickynet.com which is a website to meet other girls in Thailand. There is a group for Pattaya. Also try www.travbuddies.com where you can meet people travelling to Pattaya, and if you're lucky, locals. Both these websites are really cool and really helped me meeting people in Bangkok!

Sorry for the late response! Am I the only one that's been completely blindsided by the fact that 2010 is quickly fading? Whew, how time flies!

Ian - I have been to Koh Larn! Went there with the family a couple of weekends ago. Not somewhere I would be comfortable going alone, I don't think. The Jomptien tower, on the other hand, might be something fun to look into. I caught a glimpse of it last night as I ate at Indian By Nature (such good food!), and the cable ride looks daunting, but probably fun. :) I appreciate the recommendations.

WaatWang - I've been to Central Festival a few times. Never alone, but a few visits, regardless. It's a pretty awesome place, but with iffy impulse control and a small budget.... I dunno. Hahaha. Actually, it is a really cool place. Depending on which route take, it's on my way to/from the gym, so it's convenient. Same with The Avenue, though I'd be more likely to return there alone to catch a movie or five than to shop. ;) Canterbury Tales cafe sounds like it could be my type of place. As far as meeting up goes, sure! I've got nothing but time (once the new year starts, anyway, and then till March). It'd be nice to actually know someone around here! ;)

Graham - Thanks for the suggestion! I'm actually starting language courses come January. :)

Sbk - Thank you for the welcome! :)

Carlouchka - Awesome sites! Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I remember my first times around, everyone was offer me to goto koh larn and cinema :)

I got a diffrent routine im bored from regular things, now im making something more fun like Wakeboard

I live at pattaya aswell if you are interested with skate sports, there is a Cable park at skumvit very good place to learn, my all wakeboard friends back to them country so im looking for new buddies also...

let me know if you want to join