Non Immigrant Visa For Belgian?

This is how the tourist visa in Laos works.

You get a tourist visa valid for 90 days (thats all they will give you in Laos) with 1 entry (1000 baht).

60 days later you have to go to the border (cambodia myanmar or someplace like that), cross over and come back. To get in and out of the country where you do your border run cost money. How much depends on the country. Myanmar is only $5 or 200 baht. Cambodia is a 1000 baht (I think).

After you get your exit stamp from immagration of the country you entered, Thai immagration see their stamp (this is when you use your 1 re-entry) and will stamp your passport showing you re-entered the country and put an expiration date of 30 days from the day you re-entered. That will be a total of 90 days. Make sure you get the exit stamp from the other country. If you don't you will have a problem. 

The re-entry into Thailand is free. After your 30 days are up, you have to leave the country, go to a Thai embassy, and get a new visa.

Or, you can get a 30 day extension for 1900 baht.

Your above information is very confussing to me. If you leave after 60 days of a single entry tourist visa it is dead and gone. When you return what you will get is any visa free entry that your country may be allowed - in most cases 30 days. But that is not from your previous visa. What you can do after 60 days is visit immigration and extend your stay for 30 days with TM.7 and payment of 1,900 baht and no exit of country is required for that.

You get a tourist visa valid for 90 days (thats all they will give you in Laos) with 1 entry (1000 baht).

60 days later you have to go to the border (cambodia myanmar or someplace like that), cross over and come back. To get in and out of the country where you do your border run cost money. How much depends on the country. Myanmar is only $5 or 200 baht. Cambodia is a 1000 baht (I think).

After you get your exit stamp from immagration of the country you entered, Thai immagration see their stamp (this is when you use your 1 re-entry) and will stamp your passport showing you re-entered the country and put an expiration date of 30 days from the day you re-entered. That will be a total of 90 days. Make sure you get the exit stamp from the other country. If you don't you will have a problem.  

The re-entry into Thailand is free. After your 30 days are up, you have to leave the country, go to a Thai embassy, and get a new visa.

Your above information is very confussing to me. If you leave after 60 days of a single entry tourist visa it is dead and gone. When you return what you will get is any visa free entry that your country may be allowed - in most cases 30 days. But that is not from your previous visa. What you can do after 60 days is visit immigration and extend your stay for 30 days with TM.7 and payment of 1,900 baht and no exit of country is required for that.

sorry Mr Lopburi,

In Laos when you get your tourist visa they ask you how long you want to stay in Thailand. You say 90 days. They will give you a 90 day tourist visa with 1 entry.

When you cross back into Thailand with your new visa, Thai immagration will stamp your passport for 60 days in the future. Before that expires, you have to go to someplace like the border crossing between aranyapreth and poi pet, Cambodia.

Here you have to exit Thailand, get a Cambodian visa, then exit Cambodia (don't forget their exit stamp) , and reenter Thailand. The entry into Thailand is free. They will stamp your passport with 30 more days. The 30 more days they give you gives the life of your visa a total of 90 days.

Unless, when you went to Cambodia, you stay for a few days. If you do that, Thai immagration will not stamp a date in your passport farther out than the expiration of your visa.

Before the 30 days expires, you go to Thai immagration and apply for an additional 30 day extension for 1900 baht.

sorry Mr Lopburi,

In Laos when you get your tourist visa they ask you how long you want to stay in Thailand. You say 90 days. They will give you a 90 day tourist visa with 1 entry.

When you cross back into Thailand with your new visa, Thai immagration will stamp your passport for 60 days in the future. Before that expires, you have to go to someplace like the border crossing between aranyapreth and poi pet, Cambodia.

Here you have to exit Thailand, get a Cambodian visa, then exit Cambodia (don't forget their exit stamp) , and reenter Thailand. The entry into Thailand is free. They will stamp your passport with 30 more days. The 30 more days they give you gives the life of your visa a total of 90 days.

Unless, when you went to Cambodia, you stay for a few days. If you do that, Thai immagration will not stamp a date in your passport farther out than the expiration of your visa.

Before the 30 days expires, you go to Thai immagration and apply for an additional 30 day extension for 1900 baht.

That is wrong. You can extend that 60 day stay at any immigration office in Thailand for another 30 days with a TM.7 and 1,900 baht as I said. If you do not and cross a border the visa is dead meat. Anything you get on return is from the visa free entry provisions of your country.

You will not be able to extend that 30 day entry stamp for more than 10-15 days.

sorry Mr Lopburi,

That is wrong. You can extend that 60 day stay at any immigration office in Thailand for another 30 days with a TM.7 and 1,900 baht as I said. If you do not and cross a border the visa is dead meat. Anything you get on return is from the visa free entry provisions of your country.

You will not be able to extend that 30 day entry stamp for more than 10-15 days.

My Lopburi, I do respect your opinion as someone who has been in Thailand much longer than I have however, this is not something I read it is something I did.

Perhaps I worded something wrong and caused the confusion. I apoligize for that. The visa is a 90 day tourist visa and not a 60 day tourist visa and cost 1000 baht in Laos.

When you enter Thailand with your new 90 day tourist visa from Laos, they will stamp your passport and put a date you have to exit Thailand. That date is 60 days from the day you enter. At that point you still have 30 days left on your orginal visa but you still have to leave Thailand and reenter at 60 days.

When you reenter Thailand it is free. They will stamp your passport with the date you have to leave. That date is 30 days later or the date your visa expires (whichever is less). Thats when you go to Thai immagration with your tourist visa and extend the visa, not the stamp, for another 30 days for 1900 baht.

Or, you go back to Laos and get a new visa.

Edited by richard10365

Tourist visa (ex http://www.mfa.go.th/web/12.php#Tourist )

4. VALIDITY OF A VISA

The validity of a visa is three months.

5. VALIDITY OF A STAY

Upon arrival, visitors with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand for a period not exceeding 60 days at any time.

Richard, sorry, but Lopburi is right. Please desitinguish between Validity of Visa, 90 days (or 3 months). This is the time within the visa must be used.

Once arriving in Thailand this visa will be used and voided, in exchange you get permision to stay, validity 60 days. Towards the end of these 60 days, you can

1)apply for extension, which is usually granted for 30 days, costs, Baht 1900, or

2)you leave. Upon return you will arrive without visa but be able to get TOURIST VISA EXEMPTION - stay of 30 days.

Tourist visa (ex http://www.mfa.go.th/web/12.php#Tourist )
4. VALIDITY OF A VISA

The validity of a visa is three months.

5. VALIDITY OF A STAY

Upon arrival, visitors with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand for a period not exceeding 60 days at any time.

Richard, sorry, but Lopburi is right. Please desitinguish between Validity of Visa, 90 days (or 3 months). This is the time within the visa must be used.

Once arriving in Thailand this visa will be used and voided, in exchange you get permision to stay, validity 60 days. Towards the end of these 60 days, you can

1)apply for extension, which is usually granted for 30 days, costs, Baht 1900, or

2)you leave. Upon return you will arrive without visa but be able to get TOURIST VISA EXEMPTION - stay of 30 days.

With all due respect to the expierenced visa veterans, your wrong. I will go thru this slowly for you so you understand.

1 - Got to the Royal Thai Embassy in Vientian, Laos for a new 90 day Tourist visa.

2 - Come back to Thailand.

a - Fill out the TM-6

b - Give to Thai Immagration officier

c - He will put a stamp in your passport. On that stamp he will place a date you have to leave Thailand. This is 60 days from your entry into Thailand.

3 - When your 60 days are up, you go to a border, exit, and reenter.

a - You fill out a TM-6

b - Give to Thai Immagration officier

c - He will put a stamp in your passport. Ont that stamp he will place a date you have to leave Thailand. This is now 30 days from your new entry into Thailand or the expiration of your visa (whatever is less). This is not an extension of your visa, it is a continuation of your orginally visa. On a tourist visa you cannot stay longer than 60 days in Thailand without an extension.

4 - Go to immagration in BKK and request an extension to your 90 day visa for 1900 baht.

I have 5 tourist visas in my passport. This is the normal procedure. Except for leaving the country for visa runs, I have lived here continously since April 2004 with Tourist visas.

My first tourist visa was valid for 6 months. After that, I got a 30 day extension. After that, 15 day. After that 7 days. By that time I learned I needed a new visa and went to Phnom Pehn to get it. I got a 90 day visa with 1 entry. After 60 days, I went to Aranyapreth and got a stamp with date to leave in 30 days. In Jan 2005, I went to Vientiane, Laos and started the whole process over again. The only thing I do different is I do not get extensions as they are a waste of money. I got to Laos and get a new Tourist visa.

Richard,

I don't understand why you go to Laos after 60 days. You can go as well to the immigration office in Bangkok where your 60 days will be extended with 30 days to 90 days. Within 90 days after your first arrival you've to do a re-entry. With this new entry you can again stay 60 days (if you've a tourist visa with 2 entries). These 60 days can again be extended to 90 days.

I think the extensions are not very interesting. They are getting expensive (1900 Baht). It might be interesting to do a border run more often and get new tourist visas.

Bates, these are the steps to follow:

1. Go to the embassy in Brussels and get the tourist visa with 2 entries that they said they could give you.

2. Enter Thailand. The 60 days of your first entry start running.

3. Before the 60 days are finished, get an extention in BKK for 30 days.

4. Do a re-entry before these 30 days are finished (anywhere at the border). Now a new 60 days start running.

5. Before the 60 days are finished, get an extention in BKK for 30 days.

6. You're now 180 days in Thailand.

7. Go to the Thai embassy in Penang (before the days of step 5 are finished) and get a new tourist visa with 2 entries. With this visa you can stay another 180 days as described in steps 1 to 6.

I am from Belgium. I have done it this way.

Just some personal advice, not immediately related to the visa.

Don't expect that you girlfriend will follow you and stay with you in Belgium if this is against the opinion of her parents. If she would do it just for you, she'll have a pretty hard life over here. You said that she studied and you're right, she will not easily get a job here with her Thai diploma, even if this diploma is officially recognised as higher degree here in Belgium (most Thai government-university diplomas are recognised). There's a high chance she'll end up being a cleaning lady or working in the kitchen of a Thai restaurant.

On the other hand, if you go to Thailand, things will not be easy for you. You'll need to get a working permit (which often requires a high income and a recognised diploma) and marriage will not give you the right to stay in Thailand. You'll still have to do your visa runs and you'll never be able to buy (a reasonably sized piece of) land in Thailand.

If she comes to Belgium she'll get all the rights you've over here. If you go to Thailand you'll have no right at all.

You already feel frustated now about a simple tourist visa, but I can tell you, this is just peanuts compared to the other problems that are waiting for you. I don't want to scare you, but it's important that you realise this and take this into account when you make decisions.

Just some personal advice, not immediately related to the visa.

Don't expect that you girlfriend will follow you and stay with you in Belgium if this is against the opinion of her parents. If she would do it just for you, she'll have a pretty hard life over here. You said that she studied and you're right, she will not easily get a job here with her Thai diploma, even if this diploma is officially recognised as higher degree here in Belgium (most Thai government-university diplomas are recognised). There's a high chance she'll end up being a cleaning lady or working in the kitchen of a Thai restaurant.

On the other hand, if you go to Thailand, things will not be easy for you. You'll need to get a working permit (which often requires a high income and a recognised diploma) and marriage will not give you the right to stay in Thailand. You'll still have to do your visa runs and you'll never be able to buy (a reasonably sized piece of) land in Thailand.

If she comes to Belgium she'll get all the rights you've over here. If you go to Thailand you'll have no right at all.

You already feel frustated now about a simple tourist visa, but I can tell you, this is just peanuts compared to the other problems that are waiting for you. I don't want to scare you, but it's important that you realise this and take this into account when you make decisions.

Well said. Thanks for the contribution :o

De ambassade hier is altijd correct EN vriendelijk!! zal wel van je eigen manier van handelen afgehangen hebben. Je bent met Thais bezig niet met belgen!

Euh excuseer?? Ik was super beleefd !! Ik ben van natuur niet aggressief of grof opgevoed. Met onbeleefd bedoelde ik dat ik amper de kans had om een vraag te stellen of mijn vraag te beëindigen. Het antwoord was telkens 'NO' zelfs al was ik niet klaar met praten.

Ik heb persoonlijk veel meer vertrouwen gekregen in het consulaat in Antwerpen.

Mvg

Bates

All I can add is that the Thai embassy people in Brussels are rude indeed.

I was there many times and not just once were they friendly.

Thai friendly people? Not in their Brussels embassy.

Sorry fore the rant....

All I can add is that the Thai embassy people in Brussels are rude indeed.

I was there many times and not just once were they friendly.

Thai friendly people? Not in their Brussels embassy.

Don't feel like you are getting singled out for any special treatment in Brussels. The demeanor seems to be brusque at many of the Thai embassies world-wide. The staff at consulates and honorary consulates tend to be a friendlier lot (of course, there are always exceptions!) :o

Well said kris :o

I've lived in thailand for a year with my thai wife , trying to settle down.

Basically i returned to belgium cause in my line of work (IT security) only jobs were available for farangs if you get hired from abroad. locally they don't hire you.

I've seen a very talented engineer of 22 been refused a work permit for the simple reason that he was so young that he could not have enough experience to do something a thai couldn't. so at 24 bates better can forget about the workpermit.

Most Thai women indeed DO NOT hold important jobs in belgium as they clearly start out at the bottom of the labour market. Even with high degrees they mean not much over here.

I went to the Thai embassy in Brussels several times. I know they are not very kind, but be honest, there are almost no embassies, not of any country, where the staff is very kind. An embassy is extremely powerful and they are not paid more or rewarded when they are helpful.

You also have to understand their situation a bit. They have a long queue waiting in front of them and at the same time they've to answer the phone calls. They don't have time to give a long explanation. You're trying to get a non-immigrant O visa and you've no right to get it, there's nothing more to say.

Further on, Belgians always try to find a way around the law, even around the Thai law. But in the embassy they are very strict and consequent (which is a good thing).

Thailand is very open for tourists. You see this as normal thing, you're rich and you think it's your right to travel anyware, as long as you want. Well, you're wrong. If Thai people come to Belgium, even if they are rich and even if they stay only 10 days, they have much more problems obtaining a visa than you've.

Sometimes people seem rude, because you don't understand their culture. They might give you some papers to fill in, without any explanation and they might accept your papers without any "thank you" or even without any word. This might seem rude to you, but I think this is typically Thai. In almost every office inside Thailand I was treated the same way. Thai people don't express feelings or explain much when not necessary.

There's one lady at the Belgian embassy in Brussels (the older one) which is very kind. She shows compassion and really tries to give good advice, but she can't break the law. You've to try to talk a bit more familar and be a bit less direct, smile and make a joke, but also show some respect for their rules, which are followed very consequently. I know a "NO" sounds hard. But a "NO" is a "NO" and nothing can change that (which is a positive thing).

All,

With all respect, I hate generalisations !

I too have lived a bit in LOS and travelled extensively back and forth since 25 years.

Yes, most Thais "imported" in Belgium are not the high educated type, and yes, very few do hold high level jobs here. But I do know some.

Simply put, it also depends with who you mingle, but in my group of friends, only one works in a restaurant and none cleans.

Then again, most of them do not 'have' to work.

And without disrespect for anyone,none of us are Pattaya visitors if you catch my meaning.

OTOH, any chance of a get together party here in Belgiumburi ????

Anyone interested ?

just my 2 satang

All,

I too have lived a bit in LOS and travelled extensively back and forth since 25 years.

Yes, most Thais "imported" in Belgium are not the high educated type, and yes, very few do hold high level jobs here. But I do know some.

Simply put, it also depends with who you mingle, but in my group of friends, only one works in a restaurant and none cleans.

And without disrespect for anyone,none of us are Pattaya visitors if you catch my meaning.

Anyone interested ?

just my 2 satang

Where is Belgiumburi? :o

All,

Anyone interested ?

just my 2 satang

My 2 cents

Bates, as a Belgian and travelling often to LOS, I am dealing with the same questions and ideas....

Moving your gf to Belgium or you moving to LOS: Look at the way people treat you in LOS as a farang, and then think about how people treat foreigners in Belgium and specialy how Belgians look to people who maried a beautiful asian girl. .. For me the decision is easy, I was always treated with the biggest respect in LOS, and not only by my gf by everyone I worked with in the bangkok office.... About Belgium a lot of racist remarks will come to you and your GF and she will not always understand why people are like that...

Finding a job: Who ever moves, will have it difficult to find a job, Think about what your skillset is and what her skillset is and try to find a match in something you can both do together.

Brussels Embasy: Agree with your post not friendliest but they are correct and will not bent the law...

get together Party: Yes please!!!

My deal: I have my own small IT company in Belgium and once it runs better and our forecast are met I move to LOS and open a branch overthere where we will work and outsource programs to Europe.... but most important I will be legaly in LOS

brgds

Kurt

2 satang.

I am not a pattaya visitor either. My wife has a university degree from a good Thai goverment university. She wants to work (but doesn't need to). It's not easy for her to find a good job. In one interim office they didn't even want to put her name in the computer. And I know many other Thai people that are in the same situation as us.

Sek Loso is coming to baan-Antwerp or Antwerp-buri on 15th of october. Your wifes and girlfriends might like it too. Looks like a nice place to party.

Edited by kriswillems

About Belgium a lot of racist remarks will come to you and your GF and she will not always understand why people are like that...
Never bothered me that others were ignorant :o , their loss.

@ kris

Sek Loso is coming to baan-Antwerp or Antwerp-buri on 15th of october. Your wifes and girlfriends might like it too. Looks like a nice place to party.

Who's sek loso ? my tilak works in antwerp so she might be intrested.

Where is Belgiumburi? 

Unfortunatley , just outside the door :D

Edited by Darknight

Guys, I only have 1 word for this...

WAAAW ! All these answers are giving me a lot of details about visa/moving to thailand and how I should deal with all this..

Kris (and ofcourse all the others) thanks a lot for all the info. I'm going to do the deal like you explained here:

1. Go to the embassy in Brussels and get the tourist visa with 2 entries that they said they could give you.

2. Enter Thailand. The 60 days of your first entry start running.

3. Before the 60 days are finished, get an extention in BKK for 30 days.

4. Do a re-entry before these 30 days are finished (anywhere at the border). Now a new 60 days start running.

5. Before the 60 days are finished, get an extention in BKK for 30 days.

6. You're now 180 days in Thailand.

7. Go to the Thai embassy in Penang (before the days of step 5 are finished) and get a new tourist visa with 2 entries. With this visa you can stay another 180 days as described in steps 1 to 6.

Well i'm glad you guys told me to remain with my feet on the ground concerning my relationship. I know the future will be very hard for us and sometimes when I see my friends having lots of fun with their gf's and driving nice BMW's or buying the most fancy clothes (bikkembergs :o ) I do get jealous that I can't do this right now.

But then at those moments I think how lucky I am to have found a truly nice and well educated Thai girl that isn't thinking like a lot of other thai girls around there. Yesterday I called her and explained to her that we will face an uncertain future. She understood this would be the way but she would do everything she can to get together, yes... even if that would mean moving away from her parents. She continued that she wanted to live her own life, not the one that her parents want and about buying property in Thailand she would never do anything like throwing me out, leaving me with nothing.

I must say, I do believe her 110% ! She's not a girl like you meet in Pattaya or a low educated girl that simply wants a farang for the fact of moving to a western country. She speaks english fluently like I do (no thai accent to hear..) and simply loves me for the way I am.

Mainly i'd like to move to Thailand and start up some business or we'll have to move to some other country like Belgium, Singapore, USA or whatever is necessary, but living together and being happy together we shall be !

Grtz

Bates

PS: Any of you ever thought about starting a belgian fries store? :D (don't steal my idea, hehe) :D

Edited by Bates

Bates,

I wish you good luck! I see here in Belgium that there are always more Thai-Belgian couples of which both guy and girl are well-educated desent people. You seem to be such a couple. I think the internet, tourism and business-trips just open up new possibilities for young people to meet each other, even across the borders.

But even for a couple like you, life will not be easy. If you're sure you want to go for it, I have one some advice: be patient, don't expect too much from life - take life as it comes, don't make long term plans, and never give up.

----

Hi Darknight,

Sek loso is a very famous Thai pop-singer. The concert is not cheap (25/30 Euro per person).

If your wife is in her twenties she'll know him for sure :o All girls of that age have been secretly in love with him :D

www.sekloso.com

Edited by kriswillems

All,

As some like the idea, why not get together.

Kurt, you have the time to do so ?

PM us all ?

Definitely my GF want to see Sek Loso, she'll tell her friends as well......

As for work, I own my own company as well, GF works with me, uni grad from BKK and Sydney. In a few years, we'll move to LOS and we'll see what happens.

Sofar I cannot, only son and I my parents are not too well.

2 satang

Is Sek Loso the same Sek that made a rock cd with Bird? Even I like that cd. Too bad I will be in LOS from october 1st. Well, maybe not, but anyway I would've liked going there.

Yes, that's right. He made a CD with Bird Thongchai.

I am not sure I can go either, because the parents of my wife will come here for a holiday and we might be travelling around together around that time.

Edited by kriswillems

Bates,

As a long time resident in Thailand, here are my 2 setangs.

If you are from Antwerpen (I am), go to the Anterp consulate, negotite and apply fror the longest possible visa, and put your cards on the table.

Come to Thailand, and enjoy. However long term, a Belgian job will be much more rewarding. It is correct that your girlfrind will have very limited job opportunitis in Belgium. However you will be able to bring your gf to Belgium because they know you at the Antwerp consulate. Middleclass Thais nowadays will understand you need to make GOOD money. When kids are at the age of university, you must have saved enough to move to Thailand. Be sur your family travels yearly to and vacation in Thailand, and maybe get your wife twice a year to Thailand, just to see her folks and eat her papay salad. Learn Thai fast, to be considered one of them, this to avoid being locked in as a farang. Be patient, appreciate Thai values although they may be quit different than ours. Unfortunately some people in Belgium may look down on your wife. Dont worry, her attitude will determine how you frinds and family may percieve her. And believe me almost of them are extremely positive !

It's going to be a challange for both of you, but with the right mind and perseverance a rewarding one. As a matter of fact, I did it all before.... and it works !!!

Chock Dee

• 4 years later...

Hi I am a belgian having a bussiness in Thailand. last I went the first time to the brussels embassy to apply my new non immegrant B visa.

There were 6 people before me. It took 1.5 hour to still have 4 people before me. as it was already after 11 I asked what will happen at midday, they say they stop at 12.00, I asked if there was a possibility to come in the afternoon again (as i live far from Brussels) she said NO

so I descide to leave and comeback another time.

The next time, no one was there, I was happy say friendly sawadee krap, she said TAKE A NUMBER ! in a basket there with sone reused numbers, I took number 1 and handed over, I say friendly ow I am the first today :-) no smile returned, she took my passport and documents, and start shaking head. she said we can not accept your passport it is damaged ! there was just a little damage from the platic inside wich 5 other embassys or 15 airportcounters never made a remark on

I told her ? no one else made a problem of this (I always stayed polite and nice) they raised the voice and said WE NOT ACCEPT DAMAGED PASSPORT ! I asked , what can i do now ? they said get a new one (but as my flight goes in 4 days that was no option) I thanked them and leaved the embassy, with very bad feeling. Went to Thai consulate in Antwerp, I was friendly received, got my bussiness visa as normal, no problem.

I think an embassy should be helpfull and welcoming to people, not be rude and treath people bad like in brussels !

never go again