Wireless Mouse

Shivek

Does anyone here have a wireless mouse? Is it comfortable to use?

just be carefoul about some "cheap" products ..

most i tested need lots of energy .. so need more money for batterys ;-)

or try rechargable ...

the logitec products working very well ..

()quite expensice .. but goood quality )

Does anyone here have a wireless mouse? Is it comfortable to use? I need reviews from users before i get one. I currently have a optical mouse and i wanna try wireless. Thanks for suggestions. :D

To mouse or not to mouse :D

I have seen more problems with wireless mice than a near sighted squirrel has on the toll way in rush hour.

I use Logitech track ball, :o last 100 times longer more comfortable and controllable than any mouse. The one I have now is 4 years old the logo and name have long been worn off. Keep you hands clean and do the regular maintenance and you got a winner :D

I have both a wireless mouse and wireless keyboard, both Logitech. The two main differences between them (wired optical vs wireless) besides the tether is the wireless will have a USB receiver that needs to be placed somewhere, in my case within 5 meters of the mouse), and the battery/weight. Mine is very elegant in that the receiver is also the recharging base and cradles the mouse easily. Most wireless use replaceable or externally rechargeable batteries which can be a hastle.

Another difference (some think) is the response time and speed and this will depend on the mouse. I have the MX1000 Logitech laser mouse which has one of the fastest speeds including wired mice. Also it's sensitivity is 20 times greater then optical due to the laser and will operate on virtually any type of surface.

The size and weight may put some off, especially gamers, but this one fits me like it was custom made for my hand and I find no problems at all with the weight. It's expensive at 3500B but there is another model (optical) at about half that. Sorry don't remember the model number (MX510 I believe).

I really do love this mouse, best peripheral investment I ever made. Do a lot of graphics work and electrical design work where the resolution comes in handy.

Reviews from gamers is mixed, some think it is the best mouse ever created and some complain too heavy/big. I play flight simulator games and no problems at all.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products...,CONTENTID=9043

We have a tiny bluetooth mouse that we bought to go with our bluetooth enable Mac PowerBook. It works fine. Even the tiny size is OK. Every once in a while you need to re-pair the mouse and bluetooth, but this is easy to do.

However, the mouse is really more trouble than it is worth. Most times we just use the PowerBook's built-in track pad.

We have a tiny bluetooth mouse that we bought to go with our bluetooth enable Mac PowerBook. It works fine. Even the tiny size is OK. Every once in a while you need to re-pair the mouse and bluetooth, but this is easy to do.

However, the mouse is really more trouble than it is worth. Most times we just use the PowerBook's built-in track pad.

I know its off topic but you are the first person who call yourself "we". Anyways, after reading reviews i think i'll stick with my optical mouse. And yes, i'm a gamer so probably wireless mouse would be a problem for me. Thanks once again. :o

I've ended up with all Logitech for keyboards and mice - not through loyalty but because they have always turned out to be the best in their category.

Wireless mouse for one desktop PC (MX 700 - feels really well made and great to use) and a cordless optical for my laptop. As it happens, I also use a Logitech Marble Trackball (not wireless) on another desktop PC - after I threw away a cheaper (Kensington?) version that failed.

For something so crucial and that you use so much, this is definitely one accessory that you should be ready to pay proper money for (not that Logitech is all that expensive for what you get).

Edited by Steve2UK

Like Buadhai, I use apple bluetooh wireless mouse and I like it so much that I'll probably never again use wired mouse. I like bluetooth as most (if not all) notebooks these days are bluetooth-ready, so you don't have to plug a signal receiver to USB port like wireless but non-BT mouse which comes in two pieces (mouse and USB receiver). In fact, I bought another BT mini mouse from Kensington at Akihabara today. When I shop for a BT mouse I make sure the mouse doesn't come with built-in battery so the battery replacement at the service center after the battery life expired won't become necessary. Instead I use mice that works on 2 AA batteries. I use Panasonic 2100 or 2400mAh AA batteries which lasts about a week for me. Because it normally takes two AA batteries, only drawback about wireless mose is it's much heavier than wired mouse, but you'll get used to it very quickly. Like Buadhai said re-paring PC with mouse becomes necessary every once in a long while but that's not much trouble at all.

I know its off topic but you are the first person who call yourself "we".

Actually, "we" refers to my girlfriend and I and is probably used out of guilt. The PowerBook is hers (she dumped her Sony Vaio for it after she used my iBook) and I bought the wireless Bluetooth mouse for her. She actually uses the wireless mouse more than I do. I just can't be bothered to locate the thing and turn it on....

:o

I use a couple of wireless mice from A4 Tech (it's a cheap local brand, they also make wireless keyboards, which you can buy in a set). I'm very happy with them - not having to deal with cords is great, I now despise 'wired' mice.

One is an optical model, the other is a track & ball. The optical mouse is more fun to use, but it chews batteries very fast (days) compared to the ball mouse (months). There is a battery charger integrated in the radio receiver thing, so its not really a problem, but if you're a gamer you might find trying to swap batteries in the middle of a fight a bit annoying.

The big desktop wireless mice, such as the logitech I have found to work very well and never have had a single problem.. Though the small wireless mice aimed @ notebooks are a pain in the ass and dont work properly, I have thrown the one I got for free with a Viao and now use the microsoft notebook wired mouse I used with my old notebook :o

The general consensus amonst gamers is to pass on a wireless mouse

Slower polling rate and greater mass because of the batteries

I use a Logitech cordless mouse and keyboard. I find that its great for gaming. Since i got my first Pc a few years ago. It came 2nd hand with cordless mouse and keyboard. So i've stuck with cordless. I must say i've had to problems playing games with it. The batteries dont need to be replaced too often. I'm not sure on the code/model that my Logitech is but i onlt bought it at the start of the year. Its gota lazer instead of a ball. So whats that? Optical. I'd say buy one but then not everyone agrees. Cant remember the price but it was over 2k.

The big desktop wireless mice, such as the logitech I have found to work very well and never have had a single problem.. Though the small wireless mice aimed @ notebooks are a pain in the ass and dont work properly, I have thrown the one I got for free with a Viao and now use the microsoft notebook wired mouse I used with my old notebook  :o

agree...

i sometimes use the free wireless mouse i got with my vaio....

its so tiny makes my palm pain(not that my hands r big size or somethin)....

anything bigger would remove the mobility.....i work on all sort of terrian...table...bed....couch....even floor....

I have been using wireless keyboard & mouse for the past 4 years. First set I had was from Logitech. Now I use an A4 Tech set.

I must say that once you start using a wireless mouse, you'll never like to use a wired mouse again! Not having a cord attached to the mouse makes it so pleasant and convenient when you move the mouse (even when some would object and say that a mouse without a tail is not a mouse any more...) :o

Points that you should, IMHO, keep in mind before acquiring a wireless mouse:

* Batteries. Definitely go for a mouse with rechargeable batteries. Those units with a craddle you put the mouse to put the mouse on when recharging seem a bit better because you do not have the hassle of physically removing the batteries to replace them. The A4 Tech mouse I currently use is wireless and optical and it comes with 2 sets of 2 size AA rechargeable batteries. The wireless unit connected to the PC through USB also acts as a charger. So, at any time, 1 battery set is in the mouse while the other one is in the wireless unit/charger. When the batteries in the mouse are flat, I replace them with those from the charger and then insert them into the charger for recharging. I need to do this switch every 4 days!! (but I must say that I don't bother about powering off the mouse when I don't use it: so, it is on all the time!)

* Latency time. Sometimes (usually, when you have not used the mouse for, say, about 20 minutes, and you want to move the mouse again), the mouse does not respond immediately, but only after a short (less than 1/2 second) wake-up time. Some may find this irritating if it happens too often. I experienced this from time to time both with my previous Logitech mouse and with the A4 Tech mouse I currently use.

* How well the mouse fits under your hand. Seems obvious, of course, and it's a matter of personal taste. Some like small - or medium, or big - size mouses. You should I think, at least 'try' the mouse by holding it under your hand before purchase.

Hope the above helps.

Edited by Morbius

I can add another pointer for the original poster about wireless mice.... I'm using a Logitech wireless keyboard and wireless optical mouse, and well pleased with them.

Ensure that the set you buy operates on radio frequencies as opposed to infrared. The difference is like night and day.

With an infrared set, the mouse must be able to "see" the wired receiver unit. This takes up a bit of desk space and can be a pain in the a$$ if you have anything on your desk blocking the infrared beam. (Coffee cup, Chang bottle, etc)

With a RF set, the receiver does not need to be "visible", it can be anywhere within 5 metres as another poster mentioned. Mine lives on the floor under my desk, plugged into the USB port behind the PC.

Battery life isn't much of an issue for me. It seems that The mouse batteries last 2 months or more, and the keyboard batteries last more than 6 months as there is no laser to power. The mouse shuts itself down after a few minutes of inactivity. Latency / speed has never been an issue for me as I'm not a hardcore gamer. However, many people who have used the mouse have commented on how fast it feels.

I bought the cheap infrared set first, and ended up disconnecting it and not using it. The experience turned me off of wireless mice until I tried the RF set. I'll never go back to a wired mouse now.

Edited by bino

Wireless mice have their ups and downs. Some points:

1. All wireless mice have batteries. If you use rechargables, they will usually last around a month or so, depending on use. Batteries=weight/bulk.. some people like the added presence, some don't.

2. There are two popular types, RF (radio frequency) and BT (bluetooth). For RF, you will always need a receiver. For BT, you can use a general BT receiver. However, BT mice generally use more power and so need battery replacement more often.

3. Sensitivity/polling. Wireless mice are generally optical. They may also have high sensitivity. The catch is that their polling rate is horrible. The polling rate is the rate at which information on the mouse's position is sent to the computer. Normally, for USB, it's around 100, but you can change this to a higher value. Thing is, although the receiver may communicate with the computer faster, the fact remains that the *mouse* continues to transmit at only around 100/s. For serious gamers, this is a big issue. (you can test with mouserate) Wired mice do not have this limitation. But for general use, this is not an issue.

4. If you leave the mouse idle for a while, it goes into sleep mode... if you try moving it again, it wakes up, but requires a fraction of a second to begin transmitting again.

5. For best results, you can't place the receiver too far away... IE, it's not very feasible to put your PC+receiver at the TV, and try to use the mouse at your couch.

Having no cords is actually very nice. It's hard to get used to corded mice afterwards. However, wireless usually means that you pay a premium.

Of course, if you want quality/reliability, you should buy from either Logitech or Microsoft. Buy a Taiwanese brand and chances are you're going to say bye-bye to it within a year or two.

Now this is perplexing.. I'm confused. :o

Just goes to show that these things are a matter of taste, personal preference and personal experience.

They aren't that expensive. Find one that feels right and give it a try.

I think you've received some solid technical advice here that should make your shopping a bit easier.

Hmmm hate to go along with the crowd but yep cant go wrong with Logitech. Used their stuff for years now, home and office and now use their cordless optical trackman. Its getting on a bit now and looks battered to ###### but I usually go 3 months without changing batteries and it gets a lot of use.

Trackballs take a bit of getting used to but they're great once you get the hang of em.

BYE :o

Does anyone here have a wireless mouse? Is it comfortable to use? I need reviews from users before i get one. I currently have a optical mouse and i wanna try wireless. Thanks for suggestions. :o

I been using a wireless mouse and keyboard it seems now forever........... I can't believe they still make the other type, and to me there ancient.

Really though, when I use another PC using a wired mouse, I feel to be restrained, tugging and pulling at it. I hate them.........

Get one, I see no disadvantages, but to the contrary.

I mean the only thing you have to lose, are the wires............ DJM