Thai PM Abhisit Has Matured Like A Good Wine, Poll Suggests

webfact

Well done the Nation good article PM Abhisit has done great job considering the pressure and obstacles he has been under from the opposition since he was elected.

He will continue to push to make Thailand a better country and be respected internationally but it probably wont all get done in his time , lets hope after his next term that his successor continues down the same path with same results.

If he can get rid of corruption in Thailand or reduce it dramatically and the country will be so much better off. :)

Edited by saintofsilence

The Nation Editorial is not a suprise. Pinnochio started showing he could dance the strings when Bangkok and Thailand were being terrorised. The Army and Elite Pupperteers who helped him there certainly had the right man and it has been a pleasure watching him and his team grow and build their platforms. His team deserves the support of the Thai public that is being bestowed.

Newin by now should know that in coalition he can gain more than he needs and advance his own position by honourable means and earnt the respect that few Thai politicians do.

I think he would take defeat at the election box with dignity because after all that is the Democratic platform he and the Army and Elites who backed him have wanted installed since the golden opportunity presented with the fall of the previous goverment / circus. And in the eventually of that ocurrance I hope he would go to the opposition bench where he would do a far better job than some soft overseas posting. Thai governance needs him and more importantly his morals and values.

I hope he wins the next election, and in coalition would be fine, and complete a 2nd consecutive Democrats term. That would be another big step forward for Thai politics.

Newin worked out where his stale, disease-ridden bread could be buttered quite some time ago. Haven't you noticed his empathy-building excercises with Thailand's wonderful Army?

I think Abhisit is a good man and leader, I would be happy with him in the Uk. He is a good debater and thinks before he opend his trap. Thailand have a good future with him in charge so I hope and expect him to win the upcoming election. I also expect him to move on helping the less well off in the country, wont be easy and it will take time,but, because he is as honest a politician you can get I expect him to do this as he attempts to unite the country's differing factions and in the same move ulify the support of the opposition somewhat. Abhisit is a good man, who else is on offer? Please dont say the one time owner of Manchester City he really should go and spend the rest of his days on some beach somewhere.

Thaksin Shinawatra is who I would like to see back in charge.

Atleast you are open about having poor taste.

That's your opinion and like they say "opinions are like <deleted> we have all got one".:rolleyes:

Having Thaksin Shinawatra back in charge of Thailand would be akin to making Bernie Madoff chairman of the Federal Reserve.

IMHO of course. :rolleyes:

Edited by ratcatcher

Thaksin Shinawatra is who I would like to see back in charge.

Atleast you are open about having poor taste.

That's your opinion and like they say "opinions are like <deleted> we have all got one".:rolleyes:

Having Thaksin Shinawatra back in charge of Thailand would be akin to making Bernie Madoff chairman of the Federal Reserve.

IMHO of course. :rolleyes:

I like your thinking Ratcatcher,Bernie Madoff as chairman of the Federal Reserve, "poacher turned gamekeeper" I think that could work.

A measure of his maturity will be how he takes defeat in the next election.

Yes by hook or by crook, unfortunately you are probably correct.

So, they're not going to win, but they are probably going to win.

Can you explain, based on 2007 election results, all the by-election results, polls, and the lack of support from smaller parties, how the PTP could possibly get into government?

Water Melon Coup is their best shot at getting into the government

And best shot to get themselves shot,

because they don't seem organized enough to pull it off... thank the gods for that one,.

Thaksin was without a shadow of doubt the most effective leader in the nearly 25 years that I have lived here.

I, like the majority of Thais would welcome him back with open arms tomorrow.

Don't feed the Troll.

Okay I see how it works here, if you are a supporter of Thaksin, then you most certainly must be a troll.

Fair enough, at least I know where I stand.

Thaksin was without a shadow of doubt the most effective leader in the nearly 25 years that I have lived here.

Don't feed the Troll.

Okay I see how it works here, if you are a supporter of Thaksin, then you most certainly must be a troll.

Not at all. But coming out with off topic statements without any facts or reasoning, is clearly (IMO) aimed at baiting, and not aimed at reasonable discussion.

I think I, like many, hope the PM could be the "right man" for Thailand, but so far I believe he is failing the people of Thailand.

We have had 9 months of unopposed CRES control, now he is considering handing over policing duties to the Army via the ISA, thereby establish troops on regular duty, patrols on the street and:

Article 17, allowing the ISOC director to take command of state agencies by "issuing a notification commanding state officials not to perform any act or to perform any act" to the extent that this is necessary for preventing, suppressing, stopping, and rectifying any situation that affects internal security.

This is a blank check to override all laws and human rights protections.

<LI>Article 18, allowing the ISOC director and designated officials to undertake criminal investigators without providing any safeguards or judicial oversight of summons, arrests and detentions.

Among other due process concerns, this heightens the risk of torture and other mistreatment of individuals in custody or while under interrogation.

<LI>Article 19, allowing the ISOC director and designated officials to act as criminal investigation officials and have powers similar to those of public prosecutors and judges.

They are given the authority to sentence any person found involved in a threat to internal security to attend re-education camps for up to six months

He has given the military an extra 60 Billion Baht in the budget and has NO control over them.

Corruption at the highest levels has not been touched and we seen thieves returned to power and welcomed back into the fold.

All the independent International "watch" groups state that Thailand now has more restrictions on information, state obseveration (both open and covert) of the people and is more militaristic than even under Thaksin.

The xenophobic "laws" which prohibit fair competion for National and State contracts allows the "Elites" to maintain power over the public.

There are many things wrong, just basics, that are not getting acted upon, and that is my fear for the PM. He seems all smiles and good words, but sadly, everything must be run past the old systems "Feudal Lords" who will always have the final say.

The ISA is simply a "legal" way of letting the Military overrun the Civil law........i fear for Thailand.

Can we assume that you didn't live in Thailand or read/watch the news from 2001-2006?

Don't feed the Troll.

Not at all. But coming out with off topic statements without any facts or reasoning, is clearly (IMO) aimed at baiting, and not aimed at reasonable discussion.

I don't think you can fully discuss this matter on a Thai forum and I think we all know that.

Don't feed the Troll.

Only trolls usually post such nonsense that a majority want him back.

Fair enough, you could instead just be ignorant.

Edited by TAWP