Christmas Dinner

schrifty

BS is a bit higher than Powder's guess... 899++ this year.... though that is the exact same price as their buffet last Christmas...

They do have the advantage of offering their buffet on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day/Evening....

Between the two, both for price and the food, I'd go with Bully's...

Bourbon Street runs close to 850 ++ (drinks extra in all these places) A very nice spread.

post-53787-0-46949200-1293104386_thumb.j

Edited by jfchandler

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it has much relevance to others here, but I just flew back from the US with a frozen turkey in my luggage. It was still frozen upon arrival and in good shape. Into the brine it goes tomorrow, then I will have my full turkey dinner on Christmas.

If I didn't have my own turkey, I would be going to Bourbon Street, though. I think it is a good meal for the money, certainly a better holiday meal than what they offer at the Landmark or Sheraton (excepting for the desserts) and at a fraction of the cost.

From what I can gather, the Landmark Hotel is doing several different things....

--The Huntsman Pub, as described above...

--Their Greenhouse Cafe, which is advertising a three course set Christmas meal on Dec. 24 and 25 for 950 baht++

post-53787-0-11355200-1293108487_thumb.j

--And their their Christmas Eve and Christmas Day Brunch Buffet in the Atrium, 2800 baht++ per adult, or 4 dine for the price of two... At those prices, it would pay to find dining friends...

post-53787-0-99132100-1293108484_thumb.j

post-53787-0-07008200-1293108486_thumb.j

As mentioned above, they may offer various credit card discounts off those listed prices...

I wonder if one can do their 900 baht all you can drink wine and bubbly offer, and skip the buffet... B)

900+++ for a plate of turkey and some stuffing, xmas really is the time for giving isn't it?

Perhaps there is something extra special about these turkeys-flown in from buriam, must be extra tender do to the long flight.

Now if I owned a pub/restaurant I would be giving you (all my loyal customers - you know who you are) a special deal. I would invite you all to my establishment on xmas day for a private thank you feast to say thanks for your continued loyalty over the last year.

Free food, egg nog and karoke plus a prize to the worst dressed!

Yes I may not make any money off you this time around but hey it's xmas and without you my lil establishment just wouldn't be the same.

(Waking up drenched in sweat I exclaimed-thank the good lord it was just a dream, wet one at that)

Actually James, I don't want to rain on your wet dream, so to speak....

But if you read Powderpuff's post earlier in this thread, you'll see him saying that some places are offering a free dinner....I assume, provided people buy a drink/drinks or something else, perhaps.... :rolleyes:

I ate a free lunch at the Texas Lone Staar Thanksgiving.

The Madrid has a free dinner 12-24 at 6 pm.

Texas Lone Star will undoubrwdly be serving free at 3 pm.

900+++ for a plate of turkey and some stuffing, xmas really is the time for giving isn't it?

Perhaps there is something extra special about these turkeys-flown in from buriam, must be extra tender do to the long flight.

Now if I owned a pub/restaurant I would be giving you (all my loyal customers - you know who you are) a special deal. I would invite you all to my establishment on xmas day for a private thank you feast to say thanks for your continued loyalty over the last year.

Yes I may not make any money off you this time around but hey it's xmas and without you my lil establishment just wouldn't be the same.

(Waking up drenched in sweat I exclaimed-thank the good lord it was just a dream, wet one at that)

Actually James, I don't want to rain on your wet dream, so to speak....

But if you read Powderpuff's post earlier in this thread, you'll see him saying that some places are offering a free dinner....I assume, provided people buy a drink/drinks or something else, perhaps.... :rolleyes:

I ate a free lunch at the Texas Lone Staar Thanksgiving.

The Madrid has a free dinner 12-24 at 6 pm.

Texas Lone Star will undoubrwdly be serving free at 3 pm.

It was only wet cause I was sweating John - get your mind out of the gutter - geeze it xmas even and all ;)

While on the topic of scrooge, don't you just like it when the locals come up with 'hey buy me a drink, it's xmas or new years.' To which I reply, you didn't buy me one at Songkran so ba humbug ;)

No...perhaps they didn't buy you a drink at Song Kran...

But they did do their best to make you very wet, Dear James....

some more than others John but don't tell my Mrs! Now back to food, I like Bonobo's idea of dragging back a frozen one from the US in his luggage - should be thawed perfectly by now LOL. Visions of Mr. Bean go through my head.

"Do you have anything to declare" customs guy

"Just a 12 pound butterball in my suitcase" bonobo

"Butterball, what is that, can I take a look?" customs guy

(bag is broken and the entire suitcase is full of turkey blood and smells really nice)

"Is this a specialty from the US, do you cook it first before eating?" customs guy

The owner of Bully's told me that although there is nothing special for Xmas Eve, from the 26th to the 30th he will have a turkey plate available (not a buffet).

I could go for open faced turkey sandwich with gravy right now, no need for leftovers !

Yes Camerata, but one question to consider re the Greyhound and other places is ... is their pricing before Christmas the same as their Christmas Day pricing....

For example, in checking the Londoner's web site earlier today, I noticed they are offering a Christmas holiday meal daily until the 24th...850 baht+ for adults, but then they have a very similar looking set menu on Christmas Day for 1400 baht... another seeming example of the Christmas Day gouge...

Londoner before Christmas Meal

post-53787-0-08040200-1293091541_thumb.j

Londoner Christmas Day Meal

post-53787-0-59256500-1293091443_thumb.j

And those prices, interestingly, compare to their weekly Sunday roast BUFFET (not single plate serving) that's priced at 470 baht...

i am going to do exactly the same thing as i did last year. out shopping in the supermarkets for loads of goodies to eat tomorrow and then in the evening a nice meal out with the mrs. then wait until boxing day which falls on the Sunday and off to the Londoner for their 470 baht buffet. if it is anything like a year ago they will be serving smoked salmon, prawns and pate for starters as well as lots of other things and salad to accompany. then it will either be a choice of turkey with all the trimmings, beef, lamb or pork with seasonal veggies, pigs in blankets and stuffing balls. for dessert a choice of Thai sweets, western or if you fancy, Christmas pud and mince pies in custard or cream. followed by a good selection of well aired cheeses with biscuits or bread and a coffee with a brandy. and of course all washed down with a couple of bottles of vino.

why pay over the odds ? just beat them at their own game !

its like anything over here they try and milk the hand that feeds them and then get bitten in the butt, because people wont turn up to pay for something that is over priced. so they have to shift it some how, so just wait an extra day and enjoy Christmas at home with the family.

Found this on Duke's FB page, not bad if you dont mind the ambiance...

Looks OK until you factor in the + +.

In fact I loathe places which do this to the point of almost exclusively avoiding them....except for the Landmark....and only for their friendly to smokers policy. ;)

In fact I loathe places which do this to the point of almost exclusively avoiding them....except for the Landmark....and only for their friendly to smokers policy. ;)

sssh or you will have JFC on here saying how he hates Smoked Turkey Breast ;)

LMAO

LMAO

:lol: Yeah nice one James! ;)

OK. to answer the question I myself had posed above, yes indeed Bully's Pub is offering their Christmas Buffet on Christmas afternoon and evening, 2 pm until 10 pm... 690 baht per adult.... Based on past years, it should be a very good meal...

They have a poster with the info out front at present, and paper menus for Christmas available inside...

post-53787-0-34871500-1293102877_thumb.j

post-53787-0-58016400-1293102879_thumb.j

What No YORKSHIRE pudding cannot be xmas

Tell Bullys to save me a post Christmas turkey plate dinner.

Im off w the Mrs drinking wine in Khao Yai and polishing off a very tasty ribeye steak at Chok Chai here...

Merry Christmas to all...even the stinky haackers among us :-)

So let me get this right. If you take the G/f down to bullies for 1400bht you get 2 plates of turkey. something sounds terribly wrong with that..Bullies also has the most expensive drinks in the soi 4 area. Their day to day menu is very good though especially the baby rib

Having read this thread last night Went to Bully's to give it a try. Overall I was fairly disappointed and wouldn’t call it good quality for a reasonable price! More like very average quality for an expensive price 690 ++!

Some of my observations and thoughts are they were 40 mins late to start serving (probably to ensure the purchase of a couple of drinks!)

The cheese board was gone within the first 20 mins and not replenished.

Most starters and salads were gone within the first 30-40 mins and not replenished.

Tiger prawn dish was gone within 30 mins and not replenished.

Mains were average quality and no gravy was available for the first 30 mins by which time it was too late for me. Turkey was so so.

Deserts were average and dry especially as there was no sauce served with them at all. Also didnt see any sticky toffee pudding that was advertised unless that went really fast and I didnt get to it quick enough!

There was a good 10-15 min wait in line to get to the buffet.

I Felt sorry for the people that came in at 3pm an hour after they started serving as there was not so much left!

Anyway I wont be doing it again next year! Tigerfish has the right idea!

Im interested to know how you guys got on with your search for good quality Christmas dinner at a reasonable price! Any better experiences?

I went to a nice hotel in Chiang Mai that had salmon with all the extras, nice moist turkey, decent ham, medium size shrimp, mussels, stuffing, several different kinds of potatoes, lots of nice salads and veggie foods, dozens of really nice deserts, lots of excellent Thai dishes, coffee, tea and much more. It was 650 with no extra charges and you could eat inside or in a shaded area by the swimming pool.

High quality at a reasonable price! :)

Edited by Ulysses G.