Thailand To Lift Emergency Rule In Bangkok

webfact

Abhisit quietly straightened ISOC out over the Rohingya disgrace (whilst bravely taking all their loss of face squarely on his own chin in the international media's inquisitions). We can only hope he is able to exert similar control over those wild west cowboys wrt to any issues that may crop up in the de-CRES'd regions.

If memory serves me right, those involved in the Rohingya disgrace were Navy personel. You can hardly called them 'wild west comboys', now can you ? The ISOC investigated the incident, the same unit in charge of refugees.

Anyway if the ISA is invoked it's probably the Army to be involved, like in March - May 2010. Note that as I read it, the ISA can be invoked anytime when deemed necessary.

As for ISOC, from wikipedia which may not be 100% up-to-date:

The ISOC revamp modelled it after the US Department of Homeland Security, and would give ISOC sweeping new powers and allow the ISOC chief to implement security measures such as searches without seeking approval from the prime minister.[2] As of June 2007, ISOC was headed by Army Commander-in-Chief and junta head General Sonthi Boonyaratglin. Apart from this the ISOC is under the authority of the Office of the Prime Minister.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_Security_Operations_Command

The one "message" I get from ISOC now being in charge of security is that Thailand is petty much telling the world that their police force, which are the ones who SHOULD be handling security, are totally incompetent and don't have a clue as to do their jobs.

I can't speak for other countries, but in the U.S. something like this would cause a major public outcry. The only time U.S. Military is used is during disasters, and then it's usually the National Guard being called out to assist. The last time any military force was used was during the Kent State demonstrations in which 4 students were killed by Guardsmen. While no one was ever officially held accountable or charged, the public outrage over it was overwhelming, to the point to where the Government pretty much said "never again". If something develops in a city major city, first they bring out the city police, even the ones who are off duty. If it's more than they can handle, then they bring in the county police, and if need be, the state police. The governor of each state is the ONLY one who can call out the National Guard, and he better be able to justify his reasons for doing so.

As was mentioned earlier, I still think the best solution is to just fire the whole dam_n police force, from top to bottom, and bring an international force to take over and begin training people as to what it REALLY means to be a police officer. It worked in HK and I think Singapore did it as well. Otherwise, things will never change.

The one "message" I get from ISOC now being in charge of security is that Thailand is petty much telling the world that their police force, which are the ones who SHOULD be handling security, are totally incompetent and don't have a clue as to do their jobs.

I can't speak for other countries, but in the U.S. something like this would cause a major public outcry. The only time U.S. Military is used is during disasters, and then it's usually the National Guard being called out to assist. The last time any military force was used was during the Kent State demonstrations in which 4 students were killed by Guardsmen. While no one was ever officially held accountable or charged, the public outrage over it was overwhelming, to the point to where the Government pretty much said "never again". If something develops in a city major city, first they bring out the city police, even the ones who are off duty. If it's more than they can handle, then they bring in the county police, and if need be, the state police. The governor of each state is the ONLY one who can call out the National Guard, and he better be able to justify his reasons for doing so.

As was mentioned earlier, I still think the best solution is to just fire the whole dam_n police force, from top to bottom, and bring an international force to take over and begin training people as to what it REALLY means to be a police officer. It worked in HK and I think Singapore did it as well. Otherwise, things will never change.

The ISOC was setup to be in charge of internal security. That hasn't changed. The ISOC is under the authority of the office of the PM, that hasn't changed. The ISA will be invoked if deemed necessary, not really new either. We have to see how this works out in practise.

The ISA has loopholes as pointed out by human right watchers. These should be mended. That takes time, for the moment keep hammering on restraint use and limitations of the ISA.

<snip>

ISOC intercepted the Rohingya sailings in past years and were responsible for towing the Rohingya boats out to sea after smashing their motors and casting them adrift, sometimes after a bit of minor thuggery in front of foreign tourists on the beaches where the Rohingya were being held. ISOC is still in charge of this program, but Abhisit has made future good behaviour on their part on this issue one of his policies. But I doubt I'm telling you anything you don't already know, am I Plus?

<snip>

Thanks for the info on ISOC. I'll research that a bit more.

Research done ... well a simple google search on Rohingya and ISOC anyway.

It was not ISOC that intercepted or were responsible for towing the Rohingya boats, it was the Thai Navy. It was ISOC that investigated it.

ISOC's involvement, straight from the horse's mouth:

Correct, May 2009 as well.

Navy did it, ISOC responsible, ISOC investigated and reported to PM. PM promises to improve handling of refugees, better control.

Now back to 'Thailand to lift emergency rule in Bangkok'

Is there something in there that suggests that ISOC was involved in towing the boats out to sea?

All I heard was that investigations were complete and there was an internal report, not just from ISOC, and ISOC will be involved in dealing with boat arrivals "next year".

Was there something I missed? Or did you just interpret it differently to me?

Is there something in there that suggests that ISOC was involved in towing the boats out to sea?

All I heard was that investigations were complete and there was an internal report, not just from ISOC, and ISOC will be involved in dealing with boat arrivals "next year".

The operations dealing with the Rohingya in 2008/9 were led by ISOC commander Col Manas Kongpan, whose name will ring a (alarm) bell with those familiar with the Krue Se Mosque massacre.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7847370.stm

The operations dealing with the Rohingya in 2008/9 were led by ISOC commander Col Manas Kongpan, whose name will ring a (alarm) bell with those familiar with the Krue Se Mosque massacre.

Still not an answer to the question whybother had, my dear chap. Just tobe sure: "Is there something in there that suggests that ISOC was involved in towing the boats out to sea?" ?

Still not an answer to the question whybother had, my dear chap. Just tobe sure: "Is there something in there that suggests that ISOC was involved in towing the boats out to sea?" ?

ISOC ran the operation and loaded the motor-less boats with refugees. The Navy did the towing because that's what they're good at. Are you two going to continue splitting hairs over ISOC's disgraceful behaviour? People might get the idea that you're trying to excuse it ;) .

Edited by Siam Simon

http://news.bbc.co.u...fic/7847370.stm

That's what I was looking for ...

The local commander of the Internal Security Operations Command (ISOC), which has been holding the Rohingyas ...

If they were holding them, there could be no doubt that they knew about them being towed out to sea.

Let's hope there are better people in charge now, even though it was only the local guy dealing with it then.

Edited by whybother