Outlook Express 6 -accounts And Address Book Gone!

RDN

I just started Outlook Express (v6, Win XP SP2 fully updated) and all my accounts have gone, and my address book is nearly empty - only the "Contacts" are visible, lots of sub-folders have disappeared.

I can add back the accounts as I have them all written down elsewhere, and I have a backup of my hard disk somewhere, but I was wondering if anyone else knew what could cause this or where to find my address book and get it back.

This is the first time I have ever had a problem with OE.

I just started Outlook Express (v6, Win XP SP2 fully updated) and all my accounts have gone, and my address book is nearly empty - only the "Contacts" are visible, lots of sub-folders have disappeared.

I can add back the accounts as I have them all written down elsewhere, and I have a backup of my hard disk somewhere, but I was wondering if anyone else knew what could cause this or where to find my address book and get it back.

I have seen this several times, not only on OE but O-2000 do a search for *.pst files on your HD. That should be where all your files are. *.wab is your address book. After you have confirmed their location you can put them back.

Then use the import feature to bring them back to the OE interface. :D

I am not sure how the H*ll it loses track, but both programs do this on updates and sometimes with critical failures where you are forced to do a restart. :o

I have seen this several times, not only on OE but O-2000 do a search for *.pst files on your HD. That should be where all your files are. *.wab is your address book. After you have confirmed their location you can put them back.

Then use the import feature to bring them back to the OE interface. :D

I am not sure how the H*ll it loses track, but both programs do this on updates and sometimes with critical failures where you are forced to do a restart. :D

Thanks melousee - I'll have a search and report back. :o

Well, I got the address book back. There is a setting under Tools / Address Book, Tools / Options that says:

Share contact information among Microsoft Outlook and

other applications. Address book data will be stored in the

Microsoft Outlook Contact Store.

Do not share information among Microsoft Outlook and

other applications. Address book data will be stored in an

Address Book (*.wab) file.

OK            Cancel

...and when I set it to "Do not share..." it picks up the address book, and all my contacts are back again. So I think something must have glitched and caused this problem - probably the power cut we had earlier in the day. Damned rainy season!

But all my email accounts are still gone. So I think I'll have to add them back in manually. :o