Age Discrimination

beinaj

Everyone probably knew the end result of this experience except me.......A representative from the Airport Plaza branch of Krug Thai bank came to my place of employment taking applications for a Thai credit card. Many of the foreigners have Thai credit cards so I thought why not....maybe it would be wise to have one in addition to my home one. Imagine my surprise when I was told "We don't take applications from anyone over 60." In front of my co-employees, I was embarrassed, humiliated, and angry. I've been on my job over three years and I am not a dried up ole prune. I guess they think once you are over 60, you are one step from the grave....and you will leave owing them a balance. (Actually I'm a better credit risk today than twenty years ago...but don't tell them!)

I am sure Krug Thai won't miss me but I will arrange tomorrow to open an account at Bangkok Bank where I have always received excellent service. My government employer would never deposit my salary into a different bank but, at least, I can move it myself.

As I said, probably no one is surprised but me.....

Foreigners in general are treated quite differently when it comes to credit card applications. I guess the main reason for this is the fear that as a citizen of another country with a passport, you can so easily just decide to leave back to your home country - and then, what will they do?   Here are two ways of getting credit cards that I know of. Neither is, perhaps, great, but still.  

1. If you are married to a Thai, and they have a credit card, you should be able to get one as a card 'piggy backing' off of your spouse's card.  

2. If you agree to deposit with the bank, the same amount of money as your credit limit.  

There may well be better suggestions out there, but these two are ways I personally know of, so throwing them out there for consideration. I am using the first option myself. If that seems like something for you, you could try to contact Bank of Ayudhya. I have not heard of age discrimination before, but it sounds like lannarebirth could be on to something.

Lastly, remember this is Thailand. Just because you get a no at one place by one person, does not mean the same reasoning will apply at the next occasion. :)

sm7 it is still age discrimination even if it also applies to Thais. Like it or not age discrimination applies in Thailand. The rules make sense to me. If you find a bank that gives you a credit card that isn't pre-paid please post on that rather than just complaining.

sm7 it is still age discrimination even if it also applies to Thais. Like it or not age discrimination applies in Thailand. The rules make sense to me. If you find a bank that gives you a credit card that isn't pre-paid please post on that rather than just complaining.

It is the same in Australia too. They will allow you to retain your card with its existing limit but not increase the limit. If you do not have one they will not issue one or on the rare occasions they do it will have a $500 limit. They will only issue these rarely and mainly to those with large investments with them.

seriously why do you need to be embarrassed .

is not as if there are giving you a Gift , there are sending out Contract that Bond user to HELLL .

you should be Happy instead that HELLL do not want you . just cos you are old .

the greatest GIFT i gave to MYSELF is when i was 25 and i Cut my Credit Card . . and SET myself Free .

CASH is KING , CREDIT Card is for people who love to be in DEBT .

ta22.

re ... CREDIT Card is for people who love to be in DEBT

not true !

im a 61 year old brit and i have 4 active englsh credit cards with a total limiit of about 30 thousand pounds ( thats about 1. 4 million baht ) and have not used one of them for about 3 years coz i dont need to ... and i dont owe 1 baht to anybody ... and never will

credit cards are ok for people who KNOW how to handle their money / their lives .... not fools !

with respect ... dave2

Foreigners in general are treated quite differently when it comes to credit card applications. I guess the main reason for this is the fear that as a citizen of another country with a passport, you can so easily just decide to leave back to your home country - and then, what will they do? Here are two ways of getting credit cards that I know of. Neither is, perhaps, great, but still.

1. If you are married to a Thai, and they have a credit card, you should be able to get one as a card 'piggy backing' off of your spouse's card.

2. If you agree to deposit with the bank, the same amount of money as your credit limit.

There may well be better suggestions out there, but these two are ways I personally know of, so throwing them out there for consideration. I am using the first option myself. If that seems like something for you, you could try to contact Bank of Ayudhya. I have not heard of age discrimination before, but it sounds like lannarebirth could be on to something.

Lastly, remember this is Thailand. Just because you get a no at one place by one person, does not mean the same reasoning will apply at the next occasion. :)

HA-HA and one more HA!

Not bad for thai banks. Deposit with them $15,000 at about 2% and you will get a right to withdraw at close to 20%.

Plus the hassles of daily limit, fees for cash, risk of losing it, risk of fraud, penalty for late payments, ...did I forget something?

Ah, yes, yearly account fees! Really, the Banks nowaday should be reconsidered. And not in Thailand only.:lol:

They tell us we can't live without them. I'm not sure. But sure as hell they can't live without us bailing them out....

There is no discrimination at all even Thai people cant get a credit card or loan after 60 years always have to have some people to co sign as guaranty so thats is not only you.

This is not correct. My Thai wife got a Platinum credit card from K-Bank last week . She is 64 and she did not have a guarantor,

Also my credit card is free of charge. I'm applying for another one to use at Makro, because Makro only accepts Citibank cards.

They certainly accept mastercard as i've usd mine there; and i assume other major cards also

The time two requirement for credit cards is not written in stone. talk nicely and you'll get times one or better

caf

ta22.

re ... CREDIT Card is for people who love to be in DEBT

not true !

im a 61 year old brit and i have 4 active englsh credit cards with a total limiit of about 30 thousand pounds ( thats about 1. 4 million baht ) and have not used one of them for about 3 years coz i dont need to ... and i dont owe 1 baht to anybody ... and never will

credit cards are ok for people who KNOW how to handle their money / their lives .... not fools !

with respect ... dave2

Thats a pretty good trick.Care to let me in on it. Every time I use one they send me a bill saying I owe them money. I use one once a month at the bank to transfer in enough money for the month. The cost has never been over 300 baht for a whole month not bad. But I still have to pay the card because I owe them money.

In defense of credit cards they have there uses. If a unexpected expense comes up they work better than telling the people involved I have no money and don't believe in credit cards.

Let us remember in General we are older people getting older. The getting older is not general it is mandatory. Some of us have a lot of money and a sudden 80,000 baht bill is no problem. But for many of it is a problem and a credit card is a way to ease it.

It will not solve it but it can make it manageable.:)