Suvarnabhumi Airport Plagued With Many Problems

webfact

I was teaching English in Bangkok from 2003 - 2005 and one of our clients were the Japanese company who were building the airport. Their level of frustration was obvious as they were not permitted to do their jobs properly. For example, they would spend years carefully considering the tenders for the airport, only to be told which company they would use, regardless of whether their quote met specifications or not. One example that sticks in my mind is the air conditioning. Three quotes were submitted with only one, a German company meeting the necessary specs. They accepted the tender only to be told that they would have to use Company X. This was told to me first hand during a lesson, so it is not hearsay. Guess who owned 50% of the company they were made to use?

Sorry: Off-topic Warning :offtopic:

I can thoroughly believe this. Like the millions that were spent on cheap Acer computers by my state-run organisation. Some of us did the sums. You could have actually gone down to Powerbuy and bought the same equipment for 10% of the millions of baht that was paid.

Then they spent another ridiculous sum on new Kone lifts in my building two years ago. These must be the worst elevators known to human kind. A cage, elephant and piece of string could do a better job. They regularly break down and take over a month for the local contractors to come and repair them. They are slower, hotter and less reliable than the 20-year old Hitachi lifts they replaced. A total waste of money in terms of the service provided, but a great deal for some local service provider. :sick:

:sorry: Sorry about the off-topic, but buckhumyai's post really struck a chord!

Edited by SoftWater

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This airport does all it needs to bring me out and in again. Bit bored from the long walks through the shopping mall before getting to the gate but apart from that it's not that bad, it's quite ok actually. I've been through for ~50 times since it's opening and it's ok (and I do not use lounges). Even HKG and SIN are slower at times with immigration & baggage handling. Immigration... fastest <1 min, slowest ~20 mins. Baggage claim... fastest ~10 mins, slowest ~40 mins, Check in fastest <1 min, slowest ~45 mins (and that was TG and I do not fly them anymore)I always find a toilet and they are usually clean enough.

Then... great food center in the basement (30-40THB for a dish), 7/11's & Family marts with "inner city" prices, they got rid of the illegal taxis (though the rigged meters are still in action)and from hitting the tarmac til home (30 KM) it's usually done within an hour.

For Thailand standards all of this taken together is pretty good.

I like the price of drinks at the airport, 7 baht for water outside 45 baht inside, call me cynical but even at the rip off Uk airports the prices arent inflated by 600+% They darent make immigration better or al the companies supplying the "fasttrack" will be out of business.

I like the price of drinks at the airport, 7 baht for water outside 45 baht inside, call me cynical but even at the rip off Uk airports the prices arent inflated by 600+% They darent make immigration better or al the companies supplying the "fasttrack" will be out of business.

This is because you won't get the water for 45 THB at all once you reach an airport in the UK. Even the shop before the check-in counters will charge you more than this. Compared to European airports the prices are very moderate in Suvarnabhumi (landside and airside).

Edited by shunima

Seems that anything that anyone would ever need to know about Thailand and its cultural values is all there to see in the Suvarnabhumi Airport story. It's all there. Everything. Can't wait for the book, which should be required reading for anyone considering any sort of relationship, personal or professional, with a Thai.

The reason for the bus trip is that the airline pays a lower fee than those who use the jetways.

It may be cheaper but this isn't usually the reason. Most of the time when you take a bus to a Thai Airways flight the plane will have just arrived from a domestic sector and be going out on an international sector or vice versa. Rather than move the plane to the relevant area of the airport which would take time they simply bus passengers to it. This happens at many airports worldwide - especially in airports in the Shengen area of Europe when a Shengen flight arrives and then needs a quick turnaround for a flight to a non-Shengen airport (or vice versa).

I can't say I mind the bus (especially inbound) at BKK since it drops you off right by immigrant saving the trek.

Overall, BKK is pretty good. I work with many colleagues who fly in and out from the UK and used to do so myself. I've never heard a complaint about the airport - except hassles with taxi drivers. I don't really mind the walk to the gates though I'm fairly young still. I probably wouldn't be so pleased if I was an elderly passenger.

It may be cheaper but this isn't usually the reason. Most of the time when you take a bus to a Thai Airways flight the plane will have just arrived from a domestic sector and be going out on an international sector or vice versa. Rather than move the plane to the relevant area of the airport which would take time they simply bus passengers to it. This happens at many airports worldwide - especially in airports in the Shengen area of Europe when a Shengen flight arrives and then needs a quick turnaround for a flight to a non-Shengen airport (or vice versa).

<snip>

Yes. This happened to me on a flight to Chiang Mai last week. We caught the bus around to an international gate to board the plane.