Baby Visa To Australia

A quick question from a friend.She will give birth to her baby soon ,, very soon ,, she wishes to take the baby to Aus in April to visit her husband and father of the baby (one in the same , an Aus citizen),,what visas does she need ?? and can the baby travel on her passport ,,, any help will save me a lot of time searching government websites and therefore will be very much appreciated,,

cheers egg

If he is listed as the father on the birth certificate then the baby can have citizenship by descent and get an Oz Passport. no visa would then be required.

If not then the bub will need its own Thai passport and visa application.

Edited by gburns57au

If he is listed as the father on the birth certificate then the baby can have citizenship by descent and get an Oz Passport. no visa would then be required.

If not then the bub will need its own Thai passport and visa application.

cheers Graham ,,,, absolutely perfect , the baby is due about now and he(the father) will be on the birth certificate ,, thanks heaps for that

egg

I went through "the process" in July.

Our baby was 8 months old, born in Thailand, Thai mum, me - Aussie father.

First we had to apply for Citizenship by descent.

The main problem was to find an official (from the list of allowable officials) who could swear that this baby was our baby.

I went to the embassy with my wife, her sister and my 11 year old stepson (all of whom had close contact with the baby since birth).

We had photos of the baby taken from day of birth and many others taken since, together with me, my wife, her sister and my stepson.

We presented the Thai birth certificate registered on the day of birth in the same town as the hospital where she was born.

The embassy would not accept our statements that this was our baby. We had to have an official witness!

We drove back home (only 350Km) to find a suitable witness.

We live on a farm and we did not know any suitable official persons in the area who had seen our baby, let alone vouch

for the fact that she was our child.

side note: I have witnessed hundreds of applications for Australian passports over the years (I'm a dentist in Australia)

but my word stating that "I was in fact the father of the child" wasn't worth a pinch of shit as far as the embassy was concerned.

We went back to the hospital where our girl was born. We asked the young doctor on duty to verify it by filling in the form.

He made a total mess of the form, filling in the wrong info with a leaky felt-tip pen that penetrated through the paper.

crossing out lines and making ink blots. His final statement said "I have known this baby for one day."

He had completely misunderstood the purpose of the form and was not really interested.

We drove home (the last 35 Km). I was furious.

I only had that one form but fortunately I had a scanner and a paint program on my computer at home.

So I scanned the pages of the form, put them into the paint program and deleted all the doctors mistakes, then printed out "new" forms.

We returned to the hospital to ask the midwife who had delivered our baby to sign the form but she refused because the Doc

would lose face (as she was subordinate to the young doc) and she was afraid of any legal consequences.

So went home to our farm again.

My sister in-law thought of a lady that worked in the district office (about 40km away) that once saw our baby when my wife went

there for some business to do with changing her address.

So we went there and spoke to the lady who said she was happy to sign the form but since she did not read or write English

she did not know what the questions on the form meant ... by this time I was ready to blow a fuse!

My sister-in-law said she knew a lady that had a dress shop who could translate the form for us. So we drove over there

and about an hour later we had the Thai script of those difficult questions like "first name", "last name", "address" etc.

Back to the council office.

The lady could not write the answers so it was up to me to write everything and she signed it in Thai and used an official government stamp underneath.

In fact I copied the details off her Thai ID card !! Why didn't I think of that earlier?

Drove back to Bangkok to the Embassy and presented the application for citizenship.

The clerk discovered that the forms were not originals - she was ready to reject them as unacceptable!

By this time I was in tears!

I explained the difficulties with getting a witness and the problems of distance etc

The forms were accepted with a warning that Canberra may reject them ..

We were told if Canberra accepted the forms, the citizenship certificate would be ready in about a week.

I wanted to present the application for our daughter's passport on the same day but that was not possible (because we still didn't have a certificate of citizenship!)

I asked if, when the certificate arrived, could they please just give it to the consulate section (down the hall) with the passport application, but that would not be possible.

We had to pick up the certificate in person and then do the passport application.

We drove home again.

A week later we drove back to Bangkok and at the embassy collected the citizenship certificate.

Then we went down the hallway to the consul section and handed over the application and money for the new passport.

On top of all that - one of the consul staff noticed that my wife's Thai passport had EXPIRED!

OMG - We had to get her a new passport in Changwattana!

In the 3 weeks I was in Thailand we travelled nearly 4000 Km to get all the paperwork done!

By this time we had 10 days left before our flight to Perth.

I filled in the envelope with my name and address so the passport could be posted to us as soon as it was ready

4 days later we had a phone message to say that passport was ready to be picked up - <deleted>?

It was Friday evening and the embassy was closed already.

Monday was a holiday, so Tuesday morning I called the embassy. ( not easy to get an answer)

Finally got through about 10.30am and asked to speak to the consular section.

The guy said "yes your passport is ready to be picked up - you can come in today?"

I told him my instructions had been to post the passport to us and that I had even addressed the envelope for that purpose!

(If he had posted on the Friday there would not be a problem!)

He said it's a bit late .. if I post it, no guarantee you get on time for your fly ..

I wasn't going to drive down to Bangkok again!

So I said post it !

So the passport arrived half an hour before we had to leave home for the airport. My nerves were a mess!

What an ordeal - I never want to go through that again.

I wrote to the complaints dept in Canberra asking for them to consider giving the embassy more discretion when it came to identifying a child

Through no fault of our own we could not prove that the child was in fact our child.

Getting that lady to sign was a farce because she hadn't seen the child more than once (it could have belonged to a niece or have even been kidnapped)

It makes a mockery of the system! Just getting a signature to satisfy the bureaucracy in Canberra.

I will refuse to witness any more passport applications, on principal.

The answer to my complaint was the standard photocopy "we are sorry for your trouble, but rules is rules"

Nothing will ever change ..

Good luck to the OP

I went through "the process" in July.

Our baby was 8 months old, born in Thailand, Thai mum, me - Aussie father.

First we had to apply for Citizenship by descent.

The main problem was to find an official (from the list of allowable officials) who could swear that this baby was our baby.

I went to the embassy with my wife, her sister and my 11 year old stepson (all of whom had close contact with the baby since birth).

We had photos of the baby taken from day of birth and many others taken since, together with me, my wife, her sister and my stepson.

We presented the Thai birth certificate registered on the day of birth in the same town as the hospital where she was born.

The embassy would not accept our statements that this was our baby. We had to have an official witness!

We drove back home (only 350Km) to find a suitable witness.

We live on a farm and we did not know any suitable official persons in the area who had seen our baby, let alone vouch

for the fact that she was our child.

side note: I have witnessed hundreds of applications for Australian passports over the years (I'm a dentist in Australia)

but my word stating that "I was in fact the father of the child" wasn't worth a pinch of shit as far as the embassy was concerned.

We went back to the hospital where our girl was born. We asked the young doctor on duty to verify it by filling in the form.

He made a total mess of the form, filling in the wrong info with a leaky felt-tip pen that penetrated through the paper.

crossing out lines and making ink blots. His final statement said "I have known this baby for one day."

He had completely misunderstood the purpose of the form and was not really interested.

We drove home (the last 35 Km). I was furious.

I only had that one form but fortunately I had a scanner and a paint program on my computer at home.

So I scanned the pages of the form, put them into the paint program and deleted all the doctors mistakes, then printed out "new" forms.

We returned to the hospital to ask the midwife who had delivered our baby to sign the form but she refused because the Doc

would lose face (as she was subordinate to the young doc) and she was afraid of any legal consequences.

So went home to our farm again.

My sister in-law thought of a lady that worked in the district office (about 40km away) that once saw our baby when my wife went

there for some business to do with changing her address.

So we went there and spoke to the lady who said she was happy to sign the form but since she did not read or write English

she did not know what the questions on the form meant ... by this time I was ready to blow a fuse!

My sister-in-law said she knew a lady that had a dress shop who could translate the form for us. So we drove over there

and about an hour later we had the Thai script of those difficult questions like "first name", "last name", "address" etc.

Back to the council office.

The lady could not write the answers so it was up to me to write everything and she signed it in Thai and used an official government stamp underneath.

In fact I copied the details off her Thai ID card !! Why didn't I think of that earlier?

Drove back to Bangkok to the Embassy and presented the application for citizenship.

The clerk discovered that the forms were not originals - she was ready to reject them as unacceptable!

By this time I was in tears!

I explained the difficulties with getting a witness and the problems of distance etc

The forms were accepted with a warning that Canberra may reject them ..

We were told if Canberra accepted the forms, the citizenship certificate would be ready in about a week.

I wanted to present the application for our daughter's passport on the same day but that was not possible (because we still didn't have a certificate of citizenship!)

I asked if, when the certificate arrived, could they please just give it to the consulate section (down the hall) with the passport application, but that would not be possible.

We had to pick up the certificate in person and then do the passport application.

We drove home again.

A week later we drove back to Bangkok and at the embassy collected the citizenship certificate.

Then we went down the hallway to the consul section and handed over the application and money for the new passport.

On top of all that - one of the consul staff noticed that my wife's Thai passport had EXPIRED!

OMG - We had to get her a new passport in Changwattana!

In the 3 weeks I was in Thailand we travelled nearly 4000 Km to get all the paperwork done!

By this time we had 10 days left before our flight to Perth.

I filled in the envelope with my name and address so the passport could be posted to us as soon as it was ready

4 days later we had a phone message to say that passport was ready to be picked up - <deleted>?

It was Friday evening and the embassy was closed already.

Monday was a holiday, so Tuesday morning I called the embassy. ( not easy to get an answer)

Finally got through about 10.30am and asked to speak to the consular section.

The guy said "yes your passport is ready to be picked up - you can come in today?"

I told him my instructions had been to post the passport to us and that I had even addressed the envelope for that purpose!

(If he had posted on the Friday there would not be a problem!)

He said it's a bit late .. if I post it, no guarantee you get on time for your fly ..

I wasn't going to drive down to Bangkok again!

So I said post it !

So the passport arrived half an hour before we had to leave home for the airport. My nerves were a mess!

What an ordeal - I never want to go through that again.

I wrote to the complaints dept in Canberra asking for them to consider giving the embassy more discretion when it came to identifying a child

Through no fault of our own we could not prove that the child was in fact our child.

Getting that lady to sign was a farce because she hadn't seen the child more than once (it could have belonged to a niece or have even been kidnapped)

It makes a mockery of the system! Just getting a signature to satisfy the bureaucracy in Canberra.

I will refuse to witness any more passport applications, on principal.

The answer to my complaint was the standard photocopy "we are sorry for your trouble, but rules is rules"

Nothing will ever change ..

Good luck to the OP

my heart goes out to you mate ,, if that wasn,t so stressful it would be hilarious ,, l am happy to say "its not my problem" so l wish them better luck than what you had ,, but l guess the end result was worth it ,,,

thanks for that information

cheers egg