Green Tea 'lowers Risk For Cancers'

george

Green tea 'lowers risk for cancers'

BANGKOK: -- Drinking green tea vastly reduces the risk of developing stomach cancer and significantly diminishes the risk of liver cancer, a recent Chinese study found.

Associate Professor Dr Lina Mu of the School of Public Health at China's Fudan University, told the World Congress of Epidemiology in Bangkok yesterday that the study prompted a recommendation that high-risk populations be advised to drink green tea as a preventive intervention.

She said she had studied the protective effects of green tea against stomach, liver and oesophageal cancers in a total of about 1,000 cases of the cancers in Taixing City, in China's Jiangsu Province.

The study compared the prevalence of the three cancers among green tea drinkers and non-green tea drinkers, using epidemiological information and blood sample testing.

"We confirmed that green tea drinking is strongly associated with a decreased risk of stomach cancer and moderately associated with a decreased risk of liver cancer," she said.

The study found that the risk of developing stomach and liver cancers in people who drank green tea decreased by as much as 81 per cent and 78.4 per cent respectively, whereas the risk of oesophageal cancer decreased 38.9 per cent. It also found that green tea had a protective effect against both stomach and liver cancers in people who drank alcohol.

--The Nation 2005-08-23

But.........

Sub-standard green tea

HEALTH:Nutritionists have called on the Food and Drug Administration to order manufacturers of ready-to-drink green tea beverages to display the amount of essential nutrients on their product labels.

Voranan Supapipat, a nutritionist at the Ramathibodi Hospital, said green tea contained substances like polyphenol that could prevent cancer, heart disease, blood clotting and even tooth decay.

But most green tea products being marketed today contain more sugar than anything else, said Mr Voranan.

From the Bangkok Post

But.........

Sub-standard green tea

HEALTH:Nutritionists have called on the Food and Drug Administration to order manufacturers of ready-to-drink green tea beverages to display the amount of essential nutrients on their product labels.

/snap

green tea in market , just fake ... clear brownish straw color solution with fake jusmin scent

i dont like it ..just silly fashion :D

ohhhhh nooooo i dont mean the REAL green tea :o

Bambi

Edited by BambinA

Tannins, a type of flavinoid or antioxidant, are contained in green tea. Green tea is especially rich in tannins called catechins. These may be responsible for green tea's ability to strengthen capillaries, relieve symptoms of rheumatism, and to protect against radiation damage, cancer and heart disease.

Recommended 2-3 large cups of fresh green tea daily.

Source: The Natural Health Guide to Antioxidants by Nancy Bruning (1994)

Hmm substandard green tea, that got me thinking because of course Thai's would be the first to happily fill the demand with colored sugar water with a green tea label slapped on it. I am looking at a bottle of sugar free Oishi green tea and the label claims 25% green tea and nothing else is listed. That's a little scary actually, I mean what is the other 75%??? Just water to weaken the green tea to 1/4 of a normal serving or what else??? Suspicious, but the bottle does at least claim no preservative, colouring, and is from natural ingredients.

I've got to pass by Oishi factory every morning, at least I think it's a factory because there are dozens and dozens of Oishi pickup trucks clogging a very small soi, navigating lots of sharp turns. I hate them. Who let them set the factory in residential neighbourhood?

It's at least unprofessional.