4 Wheel Drive

onnut

I've got a Fortuna Smart 4 wheel drive. Not that I need to but how do I put it in four wheel drive?

I've heard I need to do this sometimes to keep it working! Is that true?

How does the four wheel drive work?

Cheers for any help.

Seems the car name,fortuna SMART,doesn't apply to the the OP :D

What's wrong with reading the manual?

By the way,why you buy a 4 wheel drive if you don't need it as you say in your OP.Waste af money and gasoline?

Edited by pipo1000

I dont know the fortuna smaart 4X4, but I do know my way aroud 4 wheel drives.. So most of this is an educated guess.

IF your vehicle is permanant 4 wheel drive, the small shift lever should have H.N.L. stamped on it. This is High box, Neuteral, an Low box.

If Not permanant small lever may have 4H, 4L, N and 2 on it.

Or there may be an electric switch to engage 4WD In which case your back to H.N.L.

Pressing the electric switch will, or should bring on a warning light on the dashboard. Pressing again will disengege and ligt should go out.

Yes, it should be engaged periodicaly, to stop moving parts ceasing.

When disengaging, remember to reverse about 3 meters, to disengege the free wheeling hubs on the front wheels.. this stops the halfshafts turning when you drive in 2WD.

You will hear a click when they disengage.

Go play, you cant do any real harm, just make sure not to leave her in 4WD if she is not permanant, coz this will "wind her up".

Take a look in the glove box or on the underside of the drivers sunvisor. these vehicles sometimes have instructions printed there. Exept it could be in Thai.

You will soon know if she is "winding up" coz you wont be able to keep the thing on the road. If it starts, and you cant get it out of 4wd, get on some soft ground and spin the wheels a bit. This usually releases them.

Edited by greasemonkey

Don't have one. I have borrowed the car for a few weeks. And am wondering how the four wheel drive works.

That's all.

If you are smart, please tell me. That's if you know yourself.

Thank you

If you sit in the smart motor switched on, and move the SMALL gear stick. On the dash you will see a light that come's on when it is in four wheel drive you have low and high. Set it on high now it's in 4x4 mode. Do not ever try to change at speed's over 80kph.

OK, if it has HNL, its either permanantly engaged or electic switch engagement. The stick should be in H as it is. This is High box, as in normal gearing. If the stick is in N, thats neuteral and you wont be going anywhere. L is low box, which gives you very low gears, maximun use of power, and massive fuel consumption. Leave it in H unless your going mud plugging or towing up very steep hills.

My guess is, And this is only a guess, that it is electric switch engagement for the 4WD. You need to find a push switch with, like a big sideways H in it with a little wheel at each end if the side of the H. this reprasents a plan view of the axles. Make sense? sorry I cant describe it any better.

Any way, If you find this switch, press it. 4WD is now engaged, and a light should indicate so on the dashboard. Press again to dissengage. Remember the bit about reversing to disengage the hubs, after you put her out of 4WD.

Go play. good luck.

Fortuner has a full time 4x4, IOW it is always in 4x4 mode. The second gear stick is to change from ordinary 4x4 to Low series 4x4 for serious pulling or off road driving. Can only be engaged when auto in Neutral and vehicle stand still, and can not be used on dry paved roads

Had a chat to my chum today who has a Smart auto. And no it is not full time 4x4 it is 4x2 to make it 4x4 you have to use the small leaver to engauge. It dose not have to be stationary, you can change as long as it's under 80kmph. So no switch. It has only been in the last two year's that the Fortuner has been full time 4x4. The smart it over two year's old. So not full time, It's the same as the manual/auto set up on Vigo or Fortuner pre 09 come to that. And can be used under/in any condition's. Edited by fredob43

Fortuner has a full time 4x4, IOW it is always in 4x4 mode. The second gear stick is to change from ordinary 4x4 to Low series 4x4 for serious pulling or off road driving. Can only be engaged when auto in Neutral and vehicle stand still, and can not be used on dry paved roads

Had a chat to my chum today who has a Smart auto. And no it is not full time 4x4 it is 4x2 to make it 4x4 you have to use the small leaver to engauge. It dose not have to be stationary, you can change as long as it's under 80kmph. So no switch. It has only been in the last two year's that the Fortuner has been full time 4x4. The smart it over two year's old. So not full time, It's the same as the manual/auto set up on Vigo or Fortuner pre 09 come to that. And can be used under/in any condition's.

hmm, my 2005 Fortuner was a full time 4x4 during the 40k km I kept it. The small lever engages 4x4 LOW.

Vigo 4x4 part time or any other part time 4x4 can NOT be used on dry paved roads without premature damages

Had a chat to my chum today who has a Smart auto. And no it is not full time 4x4 it is 4x2 to make it 4x4 you have to use the small leaver to engauge. It dose not have to be stationary, you can change as long as it's under 80kmph. So no switch. It has only been in the last two year's that the Fortuner has been full time 4x4. The smart it over two year's old. So not full time, It's the same as the manual/auto set up on Vigo or Fortuner pre 09 come to that. And can be used under/in any condition's.

hmm, my 2005 Fortuner was a full time 4x4 during the 40k km I kept it. The small lever engages 4x4 LOW.

Vigo 4x4 part time or any other part time 4x4 can NOT be used on dry paved roads without premature damages

Well you live and learn about the first part. All the fortuner's I've been in prior to the new set up had 4x2 or 4x4 up to you. But according to Toyota you can use 4x4 set up under any condition. Must admit that's what they told me when I had my "Vigo", not Fortuner. Only one draw back it use's more fuel.

Well you live and learn about the first part. All the fortuner's I've been in prior to the new set up had 4x2 or 4x4 up to you. But according to Toyota you can use 4x4 set up under any condition. Must admit that's what they told me when I had my "Vigo", not Fortuner. Only one draw back it use's more fuel.

Hmmmmm, When l bought my 4x4 Vigo in 07 they said no problem in 4x4 anywhere any time but don't engage or disengage over 80kmh. But, l must admit that the LSD' s do fight on dry roads.:huh:

The use of Toyotas 4x4 is posted on drivers sun shade and in hand book. I would not trust sales staff as they say yes to anything to please customers

My first ride in Fortuner4x4 was December 2004, full time4x4. I bought one November 2005, I have a 2006 in my garage, I have rented some and guess what, they all had full time 4x4. The stick looks same as Vigos part time though, but you d find it hard to disengage 4x4 on a Fortuner

as you may have noticed, a Vigo auto 4x4 can be towed with front wheels on ground as 4x4 can be disconnected, while a Fortuner 4x4 auto must be on a flatbed or similar

Yes must admit mine "Vigo" was a pig a low speed's in 4x4 kept it in two wheel most of the time.

depending on the tyres, but with good tyres you really feel the pain in the transfercase

been driving a lot on very cold snow, minus 40C, and with excellent tyres part time 4x4 even there is painfull for truck

Yes must admit mine "Vigo" was a pig a low speed's in 4x4 kept it in two wheel most of the time.

depending on the tyres, but with good tyres you really feel the pain in the transfercase

been driving a lot on very cold snow, minus 40C, and with excellent tyres part time 4x4 even there is painfull for truck

I would never say anyone was wrong, but the one I was in yesterday a Smart auto and that was a 4x2 with the option 4x4 so they must have had different model's. Interesting A.

Your right new tyre's steering at low speed was like you had the hand brake on the front wheel's, complete crap.