Alcohol Banned In 110 Parks In Thailand

webfact

ANTI-ALCOHOL RULES

Alcohol banned in 110 parks

By Janjira Pongrai

Mayuree Sukyingcharoenwong

The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_19286.jpg

New regulation not only bars sale of alcoholic drinks but restrains visitors from taking drinks in

Most of Thailand's 110 national parks, including Khao Yai, have been declared alcohol-free zones.

Not only will there be a ban on booze sales, but visitors will also be barred from bringing alcoholic drinks into the parks, Natural Resource and Environment Minister Suwit Khunkitti told a news conference yesterday.

However, some senior officials said this might not apply at national parks where the private sector rents places for business, such as at Koh Samet.

The parks used to earlier seek "the cooperation of visitors to avoid alcoholic drinks". The proactive stance followed the case of an engineering student who stabbed someone to death in Khao Yai National Park during a loud drinking party among student campers on December 26 Sunday.

Talking at the news conference about safety measures at national parks from now until January 5, Suwit said the National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department had yesterday announced the alcohol ban, so as to prevent drinking tourists from making noise and disturbing other campers or wildlife.

Those violating the regulation will be punished with up to one month in jail and/or a Bt1,000 fine, he said.

"From now on, all national parks will be free from alcohol forever, not only during the New Year period. We want the parks to be natural retreats," he said.

"In the past, we used to ask tourists not to bring in alcoholic beverages, but many still smuggled them in and caused disturbance to others. So we want tourists to understand that the parks are now alcohol-free zones and violators will be punished."

Affirming that park officials were also prohibited from drinking and selling booze, Suwit said that if there were any sale of alcohol in the parks, the park chiefs and involved persons would be punished. Tourists could also report violation of the ban via the hotline 1362 around the clock.

The move was welcomed by anti-alcohol advocates. Offering condolences to the young victim's family, Songkran Pakchokdee, director of the Anti-Alcohol Organisations Network, praised Suwit's brave move to impose the ban despite some criticism.

"We support the ministry's stance to protect tourists and natural resources because we must choose between safety and letting alcoholic beverages be available and causing problems, including scattered garbage and injuries to tourists or wild animals."

He also suggested that the ministry contact the Public Health Ministry to issue a regulation according to the Alcohol Beverage Control Act 2008's Articles 27 and 31 to ban alcohol sales in national parks and impose six months' jail or/and a Bt10,000 fine on violators.

Sittichai Sereesongsaeng, chief of Chiang Mai's Doi Phahompok National Park, commented that the alcohol ban might be applicable to parks where the private sector did not conduct business in the park area. For example, in Koh Samet park, businesses rented space legally, hence forcing them not to sell alcohol would be difficult, while it could be easily implemented at Doi Phahompok, as only four or five people currently sold booze in the area.

Khao Yai National Park chief Manoch Gantanakngan said this was a good regulation and would not affect the number of tourists coming to Khao Yai because that number was overwhelming. He said national parks should be free from alcohol and cigarettes.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-12-28

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly applaud this move - 11 years have taught me that despite the core Buddhist precept of awareness of ones own actions on all and everything around oneself, Thais generally are oblivious to the effect their actions and noise have on others - even more so when alcohol is involved (though that's a global phenomenon not just restricted to Thailand).

To the cynics and snipers like Tiffer above - consider how you train a dog not to take a dump on your carpet - when it does so, you beat it immediately so it can associate its action and the reactive punishment. There is no point in punishing the dog hours or days later, when it has no recollection of the event and no understanding of why it is being punished. The same is true of very small children - unacceptable action followed by immediate punishment or the lesson is meaningless.

In this instance, this "kneejerk" rule is exactly what is needed - it sends the message that actions like those on Boxing Day will not be tolerated, and that the actions of the minority will result in the removal the pleasure of the majority. Khunkitti is sending a message to the Thai people to shape up and think about what they do - that has to be applauded.

The more of these kneejerk total clampdowns that occur, the more the "law and order" message will be delivered and eventually enter into, and stick in, the empty coconuts that too many people (farang as well as Thai) have on the top of their necks. The only downside is if the restriction issuing gets out of order, and Thailand becomes as regulated as Australia or Britain. Hopefully, residents of all nationalities will wake up before that happens.

Now, maybe Khun Khunkitti can come and have words with the snooker hall next door to us, and shut down their all night raging noise and political propaganda assemblies?

First of all pay five times the Thai price to get into these public attractions. Arriving there with nerves shattered through the insane driving of these mini-buses. Personally l require something a lot stronger than alcohol!

I rarely pay the inflated prices for anything....in fact I have not for a long time now, if there is some place that insists on it, I dont go there....simple really.

As for insane minivan drivers...why do you put up with it ?? Tell them to drive sensibly or stop and call for a new driver....or drive yourself......and don't pay. many ways around it, no reason at all to tolerate it.....more fool you if you do.

Fix the first 2 problems and you will not need the alcohol...or stronger meds.

Mind you...there are still plenty of other idiots to deal with.

First of all pay five times the Thai price to get into these public attractions. Arriving there with nerves shattered through the insane driving of these mini-buses. Personally l require something a lot stronger than alcohol!

I refuse to pay the RIP Off Farang prices. Just tell them like I do and turn back if everyone would do that maybe some day they will wake up, but that is very doubtful.

What a knee jerk...

Precisely - THe incident was on 26 Dec and a ruling has come out just 2 days later - how could anyone suggest that this is anything but a knee-jerk reaction.????????????

Quite apart from the issue of whether or not alcohol should be allowed in National parks this is a fine example of how to be a <deleted>......

THe person responsible for this "pronouncement" should either resign or be sacked.how can you possibly make a decision on a national scale without consultation or research?THis is yet ANOTHER example of the appalling inadequacies of the people in power in Thailand -

I'd like to see the methods and staff training that has been put in place to implement this - they will of course have to search every vehicle going in ad out of National Parks, produce print and erect new signs to tell people of the new regulations and set up a supervisory body to make sure the bewildered park staff don't succumb to temptation and start taking bribes.

what will happen to the confiscated booze???

I expect it will be held "in rust" at the gate so those unaware of the new regulations will be able to pick it up on the way out again????

Or will they just sell it on to the next person to come in???

I won't say what I think of the guy who introduced this, but it rhymes (very closely) with "fuc_king moron"

Edited by Deeral

I refuse to pay the RIP Off Farang prices. Just tell them like I do and turn back if everyone would do that maybe some day they will wake up, but that is very doubtful.

I have a Thai drivers license. I never pay Farang (tourist) price. I bring my own beer. I don't see this affecting me much but I suppose it will hurt the alcohol vendors in and around the National Parks... Happy Holidays!

Well well - I'm not sure if I should be happy or not that you don't go into the National Parks - which remain the last - albeit - fragile bastion of "unspoilt Thailand"I think on balance, it's probably better without the likes of you anyhow.but should you get a change of attitude and lose you anti-Thai paranoia, then you'll find in most places the entrance fee is negotiable on production of evidence of long-stay in Thailand. I doubt though that you have the diplomatic or communication skills to override your personal prejudices though

I like the jibe that it's Tourists who are also a big part of the problem......

"In the past, we used to ask tourists not to bring in alcoholic beverages, but many still smuggled them in and caused disturbance to others. So we want tourists to understand that the parks are now alcohol-free zones and violators will be punished."

I've never seen an unruly group of 'tourists' smashed out of their brains playing music at 200 decibels, yelling and screaming and going out of their way to annoy everybody else in the immediate surrounds. If we go for a picnic or bbq it's usually a couple of quiet Singhas under a tree while the food is cooking.

So yes.....kneejerk reaction indeed, although I think police could patrol parks and shut down the loud music and unruly behavious. This just takes responsibility away from the idiots it doesn't teach them how to behave as they will just go elsewhere to behave badly.

I strongly applaud this move - 11 years have taught me that despite the core Buddhist precept of awareness of ones own actions on all and everything around oneself, Thais generally are oblivious to the effect their actions and noise have on others - even more so when alcohol is involved (though that's a global phenomenon not just restricted to Thailand).

To the cynics and snipers like Tiffer above - consider how you train a dog not to take a dump on your carpet - when it does so, you beat it immediately so it can associate its action and the reactive punishment. There is no point in punishing the dog hours or days later, when it has no recollection of the event and no understanding of why it is being punished. The same is true of very small children - unacceptable action followed by immediate punishment or the lesson is meaningless.

In this instance, this "kneejerk" rule is exactly what is needed - it sends the message that actions like those on Boxing Day will not be tolerated, and that the actions of the minority will result in the removal the pleasure of the majority. Khunkitti is sending a message to the Thai people to shape up and think about what they do - that has to be applauded.

The more of these kneejerk total clampdowns that occur, the more the "law and order" message will be delivered and eventually enter into, and stick in, the empty coconuts that too many people (farang as well as Thai) have on the top of their necks. The only downside is if the restriction issuing gets out of order, and Thailand becomes as regulated as Australia or Britain. Hopefully, residents of all nationalities will wake up before that happens.

Now, maybe Khun Khunkitti can come and have words with the snooker hall next door to us, and shut down their all night raging noise and political propaganda assemblies?

Unfortunately this is a sad response as it completely ignores the issue and justifies itself because it happens to coincide with the posters own personal views.

Issue one - is HOW this "edict" was introduced

Issue two - is whether alcohol should be banned in National parks

I don't drink but I think as pointed out above that BANNING - alcohol is a pointless and unenforceable exercise and can only result in "punishment" for the random unlucky few.

BUTthe really appalling part of this is that some IDIOT can introduce this idea - unthought out and unplanned in an instant - it only reveals how incredibly limited the person's intellect must be.

If you are going to ban alcohol in National Parks then it is a matter for discussion debate and planning - this sort of pronouncement is banal in the extreme and those who can't see that should really sit bak and consider their own thinking on this.

Take a critical lok at this and then realise IT CAN"T POSSIBLY WORK and it totally defies both common sense AND normal democratic practices - a thoroughly disgusting announcement and Thailand should be ashamed that this sort of thing goes on and the guy should be SACKED!!

Edited by Deeral

Regarding Tourist prices, Just show them your Thai Drivers license if you have one and you will be paying the same as all Thais.

Don't think this rule will be so rigidly enforced, they won't seach everybody going into a park for alcohol. But it might help to keep like loud student partying in check - it gives the park rangers something to threaten with, if at all they are willing to challenge persons they will view as having a higher status then themselves.

Don't think this rule will be so rigidly enforced, they won't seach everybody going into a park for alcohol. But it might help to keep like loud student partying in check - it gives the park rangers something to threaten with, if at all they are willing to challenge persons they will view as having a higher status then themselves.

Are you seriously suggesting that the admission of alcohol should be left to the discretion of the people on the gate???

considering how rife corruption and graft is is this country you have to be joking.

Someone gets stabbed and they ban alcohol? Why no talk of knives?

THat would involve a logical approach to the problem which it is clear that the nabob in charge cannot do.....

but can you imagine the ensuing enforcement of that idea????????

The only country I'm aware of that bans alcohol in National Parks in the US - who are famous for their draconian alcohol laws.

Edited by Deeral

Someone gets stabbed and they ban alcohol? Why no talk of knives?

THat would involve a logical approach to the problem which it is clear that the nabob in charge cannot do.....

but can you imagine the ensuing enforcement of that idea????????

The only country I'm aware of that bans alcohol in National Parks in the US - who are famous for their draconian alcohol laws.

Some provinces in Canada ban alcohol during long weekends as that is when families are mostly able to use the parks. Manitoba for sure.

All the drunks and alcies up in arms i see....cannot go for a night or 2 without a drink......'a thoroughly disgusting announcement' ?? ....really ??

You must have a hangover to be so over the top about such a good decision.

I hope they take it a step further and ban smoking in all the National Parks also.

Normal soviet approach. Let's screw everybody - this is the best way to make sure that those 0.005% which actually have to be screwed will get screwed.

I would recommend not to stop on the results achieved and impose total luggage and body check before entering a park.

What a knee jerk...

Precisely - THe incident was on 26 Dec and a ruling has come out just 2 days later - how could anyone suggest that this is anything but a knee-jerk reaction.????????????

Quite apart from the issue of whether or not alcohol should be allowed in National parks this is a fine example of how to be a <deleted>......

THe person responsible for this "pronouncement" should either resign or be sacked.how can you possibly make a decision on a national scale without consultation or research?THis is yet ANOTHER example of the appalling inadequacies of the people in power in Thailand -

I'd like to see the methods and staff training that has been put in place to implement this - they will of course have to search every vehicle going in ad out of National Parks, produce print and erect new signs to tell people of the new regulations and set up a supervisory body to make sure the bewildered park staff don't succumb to temptation and start taking bribes.

what will happen to the confiscated booze???

I expect it will be held "in rust" at the gate so those unaware of the new regulations will be able to pick it up on the way out again????

Or will they just sell it on to the next person to come in???

I won't say what I think of the guy who introduced this, but it rhymes (very closely) with "fuc_king moron"

A tad OTT don't you think? This is hardly a matter of serious national interest is it? Would you prefer the time honoured Thai way of doing this by forming a committee to investigate and report with a recommendation for positive action? Of course you would have to form another committee to decide who would form part of the investigating committee. Then the sole matters to be discussed for the first three months would be how often the committee met, (meetings would have to be fitted in around shopping trips abroad or appointments to have toenails trimmed) and dominating affairs would be just how much the meeting allowance should be. The whole thing would drag on and then be quietly forgotten. It's nice to see an executive taking executive action for once. Who knows, the idea might spread to other areas. (This scenario is also a tad OTT) :D

Quote:

"Affirming that park officials were also prohibited from drinking and selling booze, Suwit said that if there were any sale of alcohol in the parks, the park chiefs and involved persons would be punished. Tourists could also report violation of the ban via the hotline 1362 around the clock." Unquote.

Who needs time to implement this edict? If I were a park chief I'd have a readable and readily understandable (NOT in officialese) copy of the regulation typed up in both Thai and English, run off copies - not forgetting to send one to my wife/Icousin/ brother in law/influential person who just happened to own a printing business - and hand a copy to the person paying the admission fee. All employees would also receive a copy. A few signs that catch the eye should be erected at entrances also.That would be my back covered.

It is good to see those in any authority would be brought to book if they are not do doing the job they are paid to do but TIT so whether this comes about is questionable. Maybe this concept could be brought to bear upon BiB?

In the wider area of public drinking of alcohol I would support a move to control public drinking. I like a drink myself in fact, in my younger days, I drank to excess for a while until my body protested and a couple of doctors pointed out the stupidity of my actions. I refer to the practice of the hooligan/yob element who think it is acceptable to sashay down the street, beer in hand and taking the occasional swig. They are an eyesore to those of gentler upbringing, those with families in tow, those of a certain religion now visiting in significant numbers and constitute a physical threat in the minds of the nervous. I am sure that the majority of folk would be happy to see the intake of a poison confined to bars and open air areas attached to cafes and bars. To soften the blow perhaps designated areas such as the sois between Second and Beach roads, Soi Cowboy, Nana and places like that could be exempt so that there would be areas of 'anything goes' to keep those of who favour personal anarchy. Of course there will be protests about the infringement of personal rights from those with Neanderthal leanings but most, I suggest, do not want too many parts of Thailand to be Dodge City before the Earp period re-enacted.

@Foggy Bottom.

Your interpretation of my "knee jerk" comment as cynicism is in itself a "knee jerk rant" and as poorly founded as concluding from other comments that children should be beaten like dogs which I don't.

I, along with many others have no problem with alcohol / knife / pet / or even children bans or most any law in fact. Oh and I am teetotal ;-)

The issue is that no matter how well intentioned poorly constructed law is it has no value unless it is enforceable and enforced. I am sure that we all have examples of this from home.

The problem is more deeply rooted than the trees of Khao Yai and statistically this is taking a rather large hammer to crack a nut.

Re "farang prices" take your work permit as I did last weekend and go in at the local rate. Dual pricing is not restricted to this country and has a more robust and rational foundation than other "rulings".

It doesn't take alcohol for people to kill, get rowdy and obnoxious and disturb the peace. If they want those actions to cease they should punish those actions. Blanket rules which effect everyone including those that are responsible, which I would say is the majority, is not right.

Prior to comment I use to check sources, especially here in Thailand.

Here is the result:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2010/12/28/national/Alcohol-banned-in--110-parks-30145335.html

The Nation

Published on December 28, 2010

…….The proactive stance followed the case of an engineering student who stabbed someone to death in Khao Yai National Park during a loud drinking party among student campers on December 26 Sunday.

Talking at the news conference about safety measures at national parks from now until January 5, Suwit said the National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department had yesterday announced the alcohol ban, so as to prevent drinking tourists from making noise and disturbing other campers or wildlife.

===============

So, now go on with your valuable comments.

Edited by metisdead
Quoting Bangkok Post content

A post quoting content from Bangkok Post has been edited as it is against forum rules:

31) All members are not allowed to quote news articles or material from bangkokpost.com or phuketwan inside topics on thaivisa.com. Posts containing quotes will be deleted from the forum. Links referring back to the sites are also not allowed and will be deleted.

It doesn't take alcohol for people to kill, get rowdy and obnoxious and disturb the peace. If they want those actions to cease they should punish those actions. Blanket rules which effect everyone including those that are responsible, which I would say is the majority, is not right.

Amen.