24 Killed, 425 Wounded On First Day Of Thailand's 'Dangerous Seven Days'

webfact

Man you're scaring me. I was just thinking "Thailand is almost as bad as Yemen". I lived there long enough to learn that road signs and lights are strictly only suggestions but obviously they do not have the same issue (no booze probably).

It is too bad you did not include China's numbers. Those people are even more outrageous drivers than Thai's but they place 89th whereas Thailand placed 126 or something like that, out of 200 countries in terms of who had the most road fatalities (200 being the worst per 100,000). There are way fewer motorbikes per mile of road in China so I suspect that's where the difference lies. I can tell you with some authority that driving in Chinese cities is a near miss every 4 minutes. Crossing a road for a pedestrian is actually much safer in Thailand than in China but I am not aware of any stats on that.

I also know that there is an unwritten rule in Thailand among some motorbike drivers, "If you are going faster than everyone else you don't need to worry about whose behind you"

Tailgating is a bad issue here. every van I ride in seems to have a driver who speeds and tailgates. As a farang I don't like to say anything and the passengers, as Thais', don't like to say anything either. On the good side, we always have a mix of Buddhists, Muslims and at least one Christian all praying together for our lives, that must be good karma except I don't think there are normally any Hindus in the van.

Booze, motorscooters and tobacco. If pot was legal I'd say have a joint and stay home, but it's not legal and it never will be so what can I say?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As is the same most every year during the new year and Song Khran:- I left home at 13:00, drove the 17 Km to my local through some 25 odd manned checkpoints had my quota and at 16:20 drove home through the same checkpoints. ONLY difference is the BiB are more bored and more pissed than they were on my trip to town. --- Nothing has changed over the last 10 years!

<deleted> do we repeat the same threads every holiday?? A complete and utter waste of bandwidth.

Edited by bdenner

On my 50 km ride back from Mukdahan city to the village where I am living and working I saw 3 police checkpoints today. At the first one they stopped me to fine me for not wearing a helmet. When I opened the seat of my motorcycle the ploiceman saw my helmet under the the seat and asked me why I am not wearing it. I told him, that I had been wearing in the city area - but took it off later (that was true!). He checked my passport, my driving licenses (everything ok with it) and started to talk about New Year's Eve, many accidents and so on and on ....

I told him about my job as English teacher in my village about 30 km further on and about the sports day together with the provincial governour the day before - and it worked. He remided me to put on the helmet right now - and send me further on back home ... without any fine. Lucky me that day.

But - infront of the law all people should be treated in the same way! Good for me to be able to talk in Thai to him, to mention my job and the governour - but this is not the way it should be!

BTW - the next 2 checkpoints were abandoned ...

You are incredibly unfair. The police officer shows you some compassion and understanding and you consider him a fool for letting you off? Has it occurred to you that the police officer probably figured you were the typical teacher living a hand to mouth existence and took pity on you? I really don't think he was impressed by the fact that you were in attendance at a local sports day during a governor's visit. The whole intent behind the checkpoints is verify driver permits, to reduce speed and to encourage people to wear a helmet and use seatbelts. It's called education. By letting you go, the police officer did what police officers in the west do, they take into consideration the type of offense and whether or not your learnt your lesson. The cops in Thailand can't win can they? You didn't put too much value on your life when you took off the helmet did you?If you do not consider your life to be worth something, how then can you expect others to respect you. I am not surprised you are a foreign teacher in a rural area.

Well, one could argue you're being incredibly unfair as well. Wolfie never mentioned any policeman being foolish. But your lack of surprise regarding his professional whereabouts are somewhat puzzling, as he might have good reasons to teach in a rural area; I could think of a few myself...

Enjoy your NYE!

From the OP:

Mr Sorayut said that drunk driving is the major cause of accidents, following by high speed driving exceeding the legal limit. Most accidents involved motorcycles and occurred between 4pm and 8pm.

Legal action has been taken against 60,497 people for violating traffic rules -- 19,260 for riding motorcycle without helmets and 18,916 for driving without licences, stated Mr Sorayut.

Of 60k people, 38k either were not wearing a helmet, or had no driving license. What about the other 22k people? Any 'driving under influence'?

If the major cause of accidents is 'drunk driving', may be the checkpoints are not situated at the right spots. Time for another commission to determine where to place checkpoints. Just marking the accident cases on a map may also do the trick, especially when you do this for various holiday periods and over the last ten years :ermm:

Not forgetting all those passengers in Suvarnabumi bus smash who were thrown out and killed because no seat belts ................crazy !

Sawasdee Khup,

Suggest adding to Khun Brewsta's list:

"5. Traffic is a major form of population control culling the weak, the infirm, the distracted, the elderly (not to discount the slaughter of innocents of all ages, however). Also, traffic is a major form of birth control reducing the number of high-testosterone young males most likely to take risks, court danger, and inseminate young women (again, not to discount slaughter of fertile women as a secondary result, and, as mentioned age-indiscriminate slaughter of innocents)."

Puzzled by the OP's 4-8PM time period for most frequent accidents. Bet the fatalities go way up late on holiday nights due to drunkenness. You'd also expect more dramatic mass fatalities (as in long haul bus crashes) during the late hours ?

Would be interesting to see some stats on inebriation (broken out by alcohol, yaa baa, etc., involvement in both accidents, and accidents with fatalities, but given TIT, would be surprised if such stats (if any) are collected and collated with any "rigor."

best ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

As a motorist in the UK and a pedestrian in Thailand,

I notice a large number of differences.

I would suggest that Thailand has police patrol cars

looking for bad driving.

That would cut down the accident rate.

Not just gangs of traffic police stopping motorcyclists for no helmet.

Motor cycles drive at speed every which way without fear of repercussions.

Car drivers drive at the highest speed possible.

Especially dangerous is the tactic of not slowing down when a hazard is spotted

but rather speeding up and sounding the horn to clear the road ahead.

When crossing the road a pedestrian moves from across the slow lane to across the fast lane

where drivers speed up to cut off the pedestrian and sound the horn.

Meanwhile a motor cycle can be overtaking in the other direction

heading straight for the oncoming cars in the fast lane.

There don't seem to be any effective driving lessons, driving schools or driving tests.

They are really needed to cut down the accident rates.

Thai police patrol cars !!! <deleted>........most Thai cops don't know how to drive properly .

On my 50 km ride back from Mukdahan city to the village where I am living and working I saw 3 police checkpoints today. At the first one they stopped me to fine me for not wearing a helmet. When I opened the seat of my motorcycle the ploiceman saw my helmet under the the seat and asked me why I am not wearing it. I told him, that I had been wearing in the city area - but took it off later (that was true!). He checked my passport, my driving licenses (everything ok with it) and started to talk about New Year's Eve, many accidents and so on and on ....

I told him about my job as English teacher in my village about 30 km further on and about the sports day together with the provincial governour the day before - and it worked. He remided me to put on the helmet right now - and send me further on back home ... without any fine. Lucky me that day.

But - infront of the law all people should be treated in the same way! Good for me to be able to talk in Thai to him, to mention my job and the governour - but this is not the way it should be!

The only part of your comments I agree with is: "but this is not the way it should be". The rest of it is total B.S. from the standpoint that you managed to talk your way out of it by mentioning your job as an English teacher and the sports day with the provincial governor. A little name dropping??? To me, it's a..holes like you who give foreigners a bad name. As a teacher you should be setting an example, not living the motto of "When in Rome....".

So, the mods are allowing people to insult other posters by calling them a'holes?

Oh,, ok, well in that case Mr., please allow me to call you a sanctimonious old buzzard = nothing better to do than preach to this guy who obviously likes to feel the wind in his hair sometimes, like a lot of us. Geez, so many bad things happaning and you have to insult someone for this......................

How about feeling a bit of blood in your hair ! I guess thats the only way you will understand..........muppet

Most fatalities come as a surprise to those experiencing the fatality. Typing into a Blackberry or PC winging about the bib whilst eating can cause death by choking. We are human with frailties and pay the price or stay lucky. Life is a risky endeavor.

hi

can someone explain to a thick scotsman. why is there so much accidents and fatalities ?? i am baffled..

brian

Brian, no insult intended, but in my opinion only someone who has not been in Thailand for more than, ooooh, a WEEK would ask that question. Thai drivers are notoriously reckless, aggressive and have absolutely ZERO comprehension of "rules of the road", and think that speed limits are merely "suggestion", or something for other drivers to obey, but not them.

Passing on curves with a double yellow line, then flashing their lights (sometimes) for oncoming traffic to get out of their way.

To a Thai, a yellow light, prior to read, means SPEED UP, not slow down, and most have this idea that if they are within 100 meters of a light when it turns red, that it's still okay to go through it.

They make left hand turns from the far right lane, and vice-versa, and usually with no turn signal.

And that's just those in cars, trucks, minivans, etc. The motorbike riders are just as bad. Zipping between cars at 60-80kph as if they're on a wide open road with no traffic. They will shoot out of a side soi (street) without even bothering to look and see if there is any oncoming traffic, and most male riders drive as if they have been shot full of testosterone and have no fear of death.

Take all those things, then add in alcohol, and perhaps a few other things, and you see why there are so many deaths and accidents in Thailand, especially during the holidays.

I've been riding mini bikes, dirt bikes, and larger motorcycles (Harley Sportster, Ninja 650) all my life, and have also raced dirt and motocross. Now I drive a new Honda CBR 150, and you know what? There are times when I will take the car instead of the bike because it's just safer to do so.

hi

thanks for the reply, i hear what you are saying.... i have spoken to a few Thai nationals about the driving habits here, and they have all said , that ''THAIS ARE GOOD DRIVERS''.. and they are being honest, when i say no, they totally disagree, and make me out to look like a fool ??

its all above me...

i thought the ''french'' were bad, but these Thais take some beating..

cheers

Brian

I just cannot understand, or hazard a guess at whats going on in the head of any farang who rides a motorbike without a safety helmet. On Samui, i am particularly alarmed by those mini busses flying through Maenam on the way to Lompraya ferry to Koh Phangan and Koh Tao they are "deadly" and overtake anywhere , anytime flat out. They are on a par with those concrete mixer trucks whose sole idea is to see how close that they can drive to the vehicle in front . I never even think of starting my motorbike until i have secured my helmet.

hi

can someone explain to a thick scotsman. why is there so much accidents and fatalities ?? i am baffled..

brian

Brian, no insult intended, but in my opinion only someone who has not been in Thailand for more than, ooooh, a WEEK would ask that question. Thai drivers are notoriously reckless, aggressive and have absolutely ZERO comprehension of "rules of the road", and think that speed limits are merely "suggestion", or something for other drivers to obey, but not them.

Passing on curves with a double yellow line, then flashing their lights (sometimes) for oncoming traffic to get out of their way.

To a Thai, a yellow light, prior to read, means SPEED UP, not slow down, and most have this idea that if they are within 100 meters of a light when it turns red, that it's still okay to go through it.

They make left hand turns from the far right lane, and vice-versa, and usually with no turn signal.

And that's just those in cars, trucks, minivans, etc. The motorbike riders are just as bad. Zipping between cars at 60-80kph as if they're on a wide open road with no traffic. They will shoot out of a side soi (street) without even bothering to look and see if there is any oncoming traffic, and most male riders drive as if they have been shot full of testosterone and have no fear of death.

Take all those things, then add in alcohol, and perhaps a few other things, and you see why there are so many deaths and accidents in Thailand, especially during the holidays.

I've been riding mini bikes, dirt bikes, and larger motorcycles (Harley Sportster, Ninja 650) all my life, and have also raced dirt and motocross. Now I drive a new Honda CBR 150, and you know what? There are times when I will take the car instead of the bike because it's just safer to do so.

You mean they have "rules of the road"!!!! since when? I must have missed something.

My wife and I live in Sichon Nakhonsithammarat on the main highway between the South and the North (passing via bangkok) and every time we have a downpour of rain you can usually count the seconds to when you can hear the first ambulance go roaring past with it's sirens wailing (no exaggeration I promise). If the rain happens to be torrential then this is guaranteed to bring 2 or 3 either dealing with one big accident or several smaller ones. Could somebody explain to me why Thai drivers/riders feel its OK and not dangerous to travel at the same speed despite the weather conditions making it impossible to see where they are actually going and the water on the road making it doubly difficult to get to wherever this actually is. Don't they (in particular the "motosai" riders) understand that when their bike hits a several ton solid object, sturdy tree or rigid lamp-post at any sort of speed (the grounds usually quite hard as well) that they don't simply bounce off it to continue their journey as if nothing has happened (physics doesn't recognise this phenomenon)!!!!

Another thing, do they not appreciate that it is better to get somewhere a little bit later than not at all. Unfortunately, you usually only get 1 go at this to test the theory out!!!!

Why, oh why, can't they just slow down and be a little bit more sensible as it would save so much less heartache to those families bereaving the death of their 12 year old son or daughter and thinking 'maybe it wasn't so clever to have bought that bike for little Chai or my angel Chu'. Will they ever learn to change their mind-set on this?? I doubt it very much as they only think this happens to "other people" until, to put it bluntly, they end up scraping them off the road - a tad too late, methinks!!!!

My wife tells me it is 3.000 for a motorbike drivers licence, 5.000 for a car - that is for thai, i do not know the farang price.

It is only 155 Baht for any driverslicence (Thai) included the 1 hor movie and the written test and the driving test. Takes 6 hours in total

You are incredibly unfair. The police officer shows you some compassion and understanding and you consider him a fool for letting you off? Has it occurred to you that the police officer probably figured you were the typical teacher living a hand to mouth existence and took pity on you? I really don't think he was impressed by the fact that you were in attendance at a local sports day during a governor's visit. The whole intent behind the checkpoints is verify driver permits, to reduce speed and to encourage people to wear a helmet and use seatbelts. It's called education. By letting you go, the police officer did what police officers in the west do, they take into consideration the type of offense and whether or not your learnt your lesson. The cops in Thailand can't win can they? You didn't put too much value on your life when you took off the helmet did you?If you do not consider your life to be worth something, how then can you expect others to respect you. I am not surprised you are a foreign teacher in a rural area.

I understand what you are saying, however, I do not see why you think the author considered the Policeman as a 'fool'. Foreigners road users never see any compassion from the Police in Patong, being foreign is bound to get you pulled over, if there is an accident involving a Thai, it is definitely the foreigners fault.

Drive carefully, do not be a statistic!

Lots of arrows shooting about. Back to the topic for me,

I drove 150km to mukdahan and back today without knowing about the "safety program" ongoing nor the fatality report.

So with a fair and neutral mindset, I conclude that the campaign not effective nor efficient at all.

My route took me from 202 - 2169 - 2047 - 212, reverse the roa numbers for the way back.

On 2169 I did about 70km, pass thru a lot of "checkpoints" and was waved on once at the only manned checkpoint.

It didn't occur to me that anything was special since they normally have orange cones on the road where there's a bazaar or market and with the new year and all I was thinking there must be a lot of markets.

Did see guys in beige uniforms drinking and chatting at the check points. The check point which waved me on was manned by police officers.

I make this journey quite regularly and last visit to mukdahan was 2 weeks ago.

There are still speeding pick ups, incompetent drivers as well as a few I presume drunk from the driving manner.

These are my reasons for concluding the campaign a failure. I spent 30mins fruitlessly looking for Don's restaurant in Muk and in that 30mins had to perform evasive actions on 3 occasions.

My horn's my most precious asset today.

Cheers to all,

Sinblesser

..lucky you! Lucky for what? Lucky you didn't spill your brains out all over the road or lucky you saved 400 baht in fine..poor show old chap.

Some people would say that a teacher should be setting a good example, especially to their students.

Wearing a helmet is one such example.

And not trying to gain advantage by citing knowledge of someone in a so called respectable position is another.

The vice minister said that 2,501 checkpoints have been set up across the country, with 65,494 personnel being deployed. Over half a million vehicles -- 526,610 -- have so far have passed through the inspection process at the checkpoints.

Legal action has been taken against 60,497 people for violating traffic rules -- 19,260 for riding motorcycle without helmets and 18,916 for driving without licences, stated Mr Sorayut.

WOW, Those are overwhelming numbers :o

11.5% of drivers passing thru the check point got a blister. (assuming no driver got more than one).

For nearly every rider that was booked not wearing a helmet there was a rider or driver without a licence :o . If those statistics ring through at that same ratio, everytime you see a rider without a helmet, very close by is a driver without a licence.

Amazing Thailand.

On a side note, I wonder how many of those rider/drivers that were booked for not having a licence were allowed to ride/drive away after being booked? :blink:

Sure is AMAZING, police stop riders for no helmet at traffic lights etc. in Hua Hin............When the YOUNG morons come out of school 4 to a bike, no helmets, the police are there to stop the traffic for them. Sure is a crazy place.

I passed several check points today and most of the "staff" was pleasantly seated talking... even had a TV in a couple of them!... so... :boring:

Be safe!!!... stay all day in the bar and don't drive!!! :burp:

Same here in Phuket. Was on my way to the town, large booth on the way with about 20 bib sittn there and chatting, no one bothers to check on the traffic. A fukcn ready mix truck was

close to killing us while changing lanes with about 80kmh, hope he will get what he deserve sooner or later without killing some other road users :jap:

My wife tells me it is 3.000 for a motorbike drivers licence, 5.000 for a car - that is for thai, i do not know the farang price.

It is only 155 Baht for any driverslicence (Thai) included the 1 hor movie and the written test and the driving test. Takes 6 hours in total

suggest he change his wife a.s.a.p. she is obviously charging some commission here :lol:

I passed several check points today and most of the "staff" was pleasantly seated talking... even had a TV in a couple of them!... so... :boring:

Be safe!!!... stay all day in the bar and don't drive!!! :burp:

Same here in Phuket. Was on my way to the town, large booth on the way with about 20 bib sittn there and chatting, no one bothers to check on the traffic. A fukcn ready mix truck was

close to killing us while changing lanes with about 80kmh, hope he will get what he deserve sooner or later without killing some other road users :jap:

Here in Pattaya they have a checkpoint on Sukhumvit right in front of Big C.Actually it is a little away from the main road,might be the reason why nobody is stopped as they will have to walk a fair 15 meters to the road.Then about another 20 meters away from their table some concrete barrier is constructed,to seperate Sukhumvit from the entrance/exit of the supermarket and on which a Vigo crashed a few days ago.It's still standing there since,completely destroid,maybe as a statue I don't know.

Also not sure if anyone at the table woke up when the Vigo crashed,however judging the looks of the truck it must have been an unbelievable impact.

To my knowledge their is no demerit point system which leads to a lot of repeat offenders.

A positive is the add campaign on the tv recently which pretty graphically shows the consequences of drink driving.

Maybe we will see some pro helmet campaigning in the future *fingers crossed

there is a points system that can lead to a ban, but as a senior policeman friend once told me, he is not aware of anyone being banned, or even given points,

But - infront of the law all people should be treated in the same way! Good for me to be able to talk in Thai to him, to mention my job and the governour[/b] - but this is not the way it should be!

Some people would say that a teacher should be setting a good example, especially to their students.

Wearing a helmet is one such example.

and with spelling... I think it is Governor :jap: :lol:

Edited by maprao

Where I live, Khao Talo, Pattaya, there are nearly always cops at the railway line, stopping and searching bikes, not just checking lids and licenses. I ride by in proper bike gear and never been stopped once, although I have all the correct licenses and insurance of course. No difference whatsoever in the daily wearing of helmets, those who dont want to wear one, do not, no amount of stopping and fining makes a jot of difference. My Mrs will not, just to go to the 7, or up the road, no matter how much I nag her. We go up to the top of the road to the gym,on the little auto thingy, I have my flip front lid, she has nothing on her head.

I consider her a good car driver, (and I'm a bad, fussy, passenger,) but in the UK this summer she was too scared to drive, didn't quite get that we are all taught the same and protocol for any situation on the road is, generally, followed.

The task in Thailand to educate a nation and two to three generations (currently driving) in road safety and implementing a uniform level of competence is beyond doing, the logistics are impossible, too many millions already driving how they please, the will is not there, criticism is all but banned from daily life and the costs too high. When people ask me how it is to drive, or ride a bike here, I tell them telepathy is the Thai way of driving, for they do seem to have an innate sussing out of others intentions, just wish I could get it sometimes when someone does the unexpected near me on the road. I only do necessary car only journeys during the "deadly weeks", do not ride a bike at night and try to not bump into anything, Thai styly,

be safe,

PP

Of the 425 that were "wounded",were they in a battle with another country or fighting an inserruction in-country.what should ahve beeb used was "imjured" in traffic accidents.

And no,it's not semantics.

My condolences to the injured and killed.

And to the author of the article.

Once again,you are "wounded" in battle and "injured" in an accident.Try getting it straight starting on 1-1-11!