24 Killed, 425 Wounded On First Day Of Thailand's 'Dangerous Seven Days'

webfact

My wife tells me it is 3.000 for a motorbike drivers licence, 5.000 for a car - that is for thai, i do not know the farang price.

It is only 155 Baht for any driverslicence (Thai) included the 1 hor movie and the written test and the driving test. Takes 6 hours in total

suggest he change his wife a.s.a.p. she is obviously charging some commission here :lol:

Wooooooow...... my wife is surely doublecrossing me!

She did not even mention the free movie and the 6 hours of fun.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the 425 that were "wounded",were they in a battle with another country or fighting an inserruction in-country.what should ahve beeb used was "imjured" in traffic accidents.

And no,it's not semantics.

My condolences to the injured and killed.

And to the author of the article.

Once again,you are "wounded" in battle and "injured" in an accident.Try getting it straight starting on 1-1-11!

Mel Gibson of Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior fame would probably approve of 'wounded'. It appears to me that the relative anarchy on LOS roads takes on more aspects of a war than just the terminology.

Also, Thailand seems to be a rich source of material for the Darwin Awards ... that is if there is any possibility of a lack of that material elsewhere.

Maybe you're baffled because you can't read. You certainly don't know English grammar and capitalization rules.

Great style of discussing.

Who owns the back that You (note the capitalization) just stabbed?

Hangover from last night?

I apologize for my poor discussion style - I seemed to have been a bit 'baffled' myself with replying on this forum.

But to answer your question it was the immediately preceding: briannorthfield, on 2010-12-30 15:50 and it was a full frontal assault, not a back-stabbing IMHO ... and not induced by an hangover.

Of the 425 that were "wounded",were they in a battle with another country or fighting an inserruction in-country.what should ahve beeb used was "imjured" in traffic accidents.

And no,it's not semantics.

My condolences to the injured and killed.

And to the author of the article.

Once again,you are "wounded" in battle and "injured" in an accident.Try getting it straight starting on 1-1-11!

hmmm...as for myself, I guess Thais obviously consider roads and traffic more as a war zone and not as a place where they have to be carefull and respect each other.....

Brian,

In 11 years of living in the Land of Smiles, I would suggest the following reasons for such crazy road death & injury stats:

1) Cultural indifference to the risk of death....Buddhist influence of reincarnation?

2) Little or no law-enforcement

3) Rampant bribery at all levels of society

4) Variations of the above

regards

Brewsta

The vice minister said that 2,501 checkpoints have been set up across the country, with 65,494 personnel being deployed. Over half a million vehicles -- 526,610 -- have so far have passed through the inspection process at the checkpoints.

Legal action has been taken against 60,497 people for violating traffic rules -- 19,260 for riding motorcycle without helmets and 18,916 for driving without licences, stated Mr Sorayut.

WOW, Those are overwhelming numbers :o

11.5% of drivers passing thru the check point got a blister. (assuming no driver got more than one).

For nearly every rider that was booked not wearing a helmet there was a rider or driver without a licence :o . If those statistics ring through at that same ratio, everytime you see a rider without a helmet, very close by is a driver without a licence.

Amazing Thailand.

On a side note, I wonder how many of those rider/drivers that were booked for not having a licence were allowed to ride/drive away after being booked? :blink:

hi

can someone explain to a thick scotsman. why is there so much accidents and fatalities ?? i am baffled..

brian

Because they cannot drive ?

"The task in Thailand to educate a nation

Thailand seems to be a rich source of material for the Darwin Awards ... that is if there is any possibility of a lack of that material elsewhere. "

After almost 30 years here in SE Asia I consider myself a guest and I am learning something new every day.

Whats wrong with Darwin? Last time I arrived there I was was too drunk to walk so the Police kindly poured me into a rental car so I could get to Katherine for a night Skydive. I think I survived.

Lighten up you Guys or move to New Zealand where you can only complain about the weather. I hope the New Year has something else for you to Bitch about other than speed bikes helmets Thailand Police life etc.

Any effort to save lives is good stuff but limiting how we can enjoy life it is questionable when those saved life can only bitch about it and where they are.

"i thought the ''french'' were bad, but these Thais take some beating..

cheers

Brian"

Not sure you are calibrated on the same scale as "incidence of survival per number of journeys" I rate USA the worst if the road isn't straight they usually die

What a brain dead statement ?

The vice minister said that 2,501 checkpoints have been set up across the country, with 65,494 personnel being deployed. Over half a million vehicles -- 526,610 -- have so far have passed through the inspection process at the checkpoints.

Legal action has been taken against 60,497 people for violating traffic rules -- 19,260 for riding motorcycle without helmets and 18,916 for driving without licences, stated Mr Sorayut.

11.5% of drivers passing thru the check point got a blister. (assuming no driver got more than one).

For nearly every rider that was booked not wearing a helmet there was a rider or driver without a licence :o . If those statistics ring through at that same ratio, everytime you see a rider without a helmet, very close by is a driver without a licence.

Amazing Thailand.

On a side note, I wonder how many of those rider/drivers that were booked for not having a licence were allowed to ride/drive away after being booked? :blink:

hi

can someone explain to a thick scotsman. why is there so much accidents and fatalities ?? i am baffled..

brian

Causes of Accidents as I have seen so far .

1 , Children age 8 to 15 riding motorcycles , many cant read , none know any road rules , No helmets , none have any road sense .

2 Adults riding motorcycles , No licence , no helmet , None know any road rules or have any common sense .

3 Have you ever tried to find a copy of the Thai road rules and regulations on the net ? Some signs can be found , Rules , Havent found them yet .

4 Ask someone who they are required to " give way to " by law ?? No one Knows in Thailand , I have even asked police who speak english .

5 Licences seem to be freely available at a " fee " , no test required .

6 The sheer volume of Traffic alone .Especially when there is a Festivity .

7 The condition of some of the vehicles .

8. Unlicenced , inexperienced drivers travelling at high speeds

truly shocking, but its the same every year...

when i saw 24 dead, i thought it was just samui, with the amount of manics on the roads, and accidents happening everywhere

Bkk Samui hospital is doing a roaring trade at the moment with all the stupid Farang on the island at the moment. :bah:

UPDATE

79 killed in 1,012 road accidents, 1,059 injured on first two days of "Dangerous Seven Days" /MCOT

So the second day had 55 killed, 634 injured and over 600 accidents.

Doesn't look like people took much notice of the first day's toll.

Edited by whybother

Rules & Regulations

• Drive on the left side of the road
  • The legal age for driving cars is 18
  • The legal age for riding a motorcycle up to 110cc is 15; 18 is the legal age for riding a motorcycle over 110cc
  • It is compulsory for a driver to have their driving licence and a copy of the vehicle registration document (Blue Book, Lem Tabian)
  • Valid Thai or International Driving Licences are accepted
  • Every vehicle must have a tax sticker, which has to be renewed annually at the local Department of Land Transport Office (DLT)
  • Every vehicle must have third party insurance, the Compulsory Motor Insurance (CMI)
  • It is compulsory to wear a seat belt in the front seats of a car. Fines for not wearing a seatbelt can be paid at the local police station
  • Blood-alcohol limit is 0.5 mg
  • Speeding fines must be paid at the local police station
  • Vehicles with red registration plates are not permitted to drive at night
  • From 7 May 2008 a driver may only use a mobile cellular telephone with a handsfree system

Other things to take into account when driving in Thailand:

• Flashing of headlights by other vehicles is a warning signal meaning "get out of my way" and does not indicate "you may make your manoeuvre", as it does in some Western countries
  • Drivers of larger vehicles may assume that smaller vehicles will give way
  • Always check for motorbikes when opening car doors on the side of the road as they frequently travel up the inside space between the road and the pavement
  • It is not obligatory for children's car seats to be used
  • Anyone wishing to change the colour of their car must inform the DLT who will change the details in the registration book
  • A frequently used method of warning road users of a breakdown in the road ahead is to cover the road with tree branches

Rules & Regulations

• Drive on the left side of the road
  • The legal age for driving cars is 18
  • The legal age for riding a motorcycle up to 110cc is 15; 18 is the legal age for riding a motorcycle over 110cc
  • It is compulsory for a driver to have their driving licence and a copy of the vehicle registration document (Blue Book, Lem Tabian)
  • Valid Thai or International Driving Licences are accepted
  • Every vehicle must have a tax sticker, which has to be renewed annually at the local Department of Land Transport Office (DLT)
  • Every vehicle must have third party insurance, the Compulsory Motor Insurance (CMI)
  • It is compulsory to wear a seat belt in the front seats of a car. Fines for not wearing a seatbelt can be paid at the local police station
  • Blood-alcohol limit is 0.5 mg
  • Speeding fines must be paid at the local police station
  • Vehicles with red registration plates are not permitted to drive at night
  • From 7 May 2008 a driver may only use a mobile cellular telephone with a handsfree system

Other things to take into account when driving in Thailand:

• Flashing of headlights by other vehicles is a warning signal meaning "get out of my way" and does not indicate "you may make your manoeuvre", as it does in some Western countries
  • Drivers of larger vehicles may assume that smaller vehicles will give way
  • Always check for motorbikes when opening car doors on the side of the road as they frequently travel up the inside space between the road and the pavement
  • It is not obligatory for children's car seats to be used
  • Anyone wishing to change the colour of their car must inform the DLT who will change the details in the registration book
  • A frequently used method of warning road users of a breakdown in the road ahead is to cover the road with tree branches

Brill info -- all users please note, honda red plates. no night driving, age for licence...mmmmmmmmmmmm....1 other thing that made me smile was----all speeding fines to be paid at the local police station 55555555555

Amazing Thailand.

hi

brian

Brian

You like me probably took your driving test in the UK

and I would imagine the test conditions are similar in Scotland as they are in the rest of the UK ?

Well if you follow the progress of someone in Thailand right through the learning process and then

watch them take the driving test here and how easy is it to get a licence....

you would not need to ask your question :(

I am not saying this is the sole reason but higher standards wouldn't hurt :ph34r:

55 killed in road accidents on second of seven dangerous New Year holidays

The road death toll of the seven dangerous days on the occasion of long New Year holidays has risen to 79 as 55 people were killed on the second day of the road accident monitoring period.

The seven dangerous days started from Wednesday.

Wibul Sanguanpong, director-general of the Civil Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, announced that 619 accidents occurred on Thursday, the second day of the 7 dangerous days.

Wibul said the road accidents on Thursday saw 55 people killed and 670 others injured.

Most of 82.20 per cent of the accidents involved motorcycles, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-12-31

The task in Thailand to educate a nation and two to three generations (currently driving) in road safety and implementing a uniform level of competence is beyond doing, the logistics are impossible, too many millions already driving how they please, the will is not there, criticism is all but banned from daily life and the costs too high. When people ask me how it is to drive, or ride a bike here, I tell them telepathy is the Thai way of driving, for they do seem to have an innate sussing out of others intentions, just wish I could get it sometimes when someone does the unexpected near me on the road. I only do necessary car only journeys during the "deadly weeks", do not ride a bike at night and try to not bump into anything, Thai styly,

be safe,

PP

Well with an exponential growth in the number of cars and motorbikes on Thai roads they

had better do it very quickly :unsure:

I was only wondering the other day how many other countries have traffic police who seem to think its ok for motorbikes

cars and even minibuses :o ( i saw yesterday ) to drive in the left lane against the oncoming traffic ?

It is all to do with attitude. If it is ok to break that rule then why bother to have any rules at all ?

And this bloody silly practice is dangerous and very irritating at night time in rural Thailand. :angry: