New Cbr250 Vs Cb250 Hornet

MattCinderey

I sold my 650 Ninja a while ago and now I'm looking for a new bike.

I really like the look of the new CBR250, however a friend of mine has offered me his CBR250 Hornet (legal with green book) for around the same price.

I really like the hornet, especially as it's 4 cylinder and has the Japanese sport bike sound. It's in very good condition as well and obviously a lot quicker than the single cylinder CBR250.

The only downside is that it's a 12 year old bike, where CBR250 is brand new.

Any thoughts?

Matt.

look at the condition. the hornet engine is a slightly detuned cbr250 4 cylinder engine (and they are great). If the bike is in good condition then ok.. service parts can be found fairly easily. but if you wreck it then it can get very expensive for frame and body parts.

but i would have thought 100 thou is a little high. (70 thou max would be closer to the figure)

also depends on what YOU want from the bike. if you want it for commuting and the occasional longer ride out then the 2011 CBR250 would be fine.

if you want a lighter bike with a kick in the pants then the hornet. :lol:

ps Matt. is it a hornet (unfaired) or a cbr250 (faired)

Edited by thaicbr

Hey CBR,

It's the un-faired naked bike. I just love the sound of it - it sounds amazing. I really loved my 650 Ninja, but I wasn't keen on the sound of the engine, I'm really in to the Japanese bike sound. I had a CB400 V-Tec for a while and that was a lovely bike.

The reason I'm after a new bike is that I live on Samui and I sold the 650 Ninja because I kept riding it like an idiot. I know it's down to a lack of self control, but when I got on that thing I couldn't help opening it up all the time. It's far to quick for island traffic.

Now I really miss having a bike for pottering around on short trips, etc. I have a truck I use for work and a lot of the time it's very hard to park in certain places, hence the need for another bike.

I bought a little Honda click for potting around on, however after riding bikes for years it felt like a child's toy, completely unsafe. I sold it and now I'm pottering around on my friends CBR150, which is a nice agile bike but has no power in it at all.

Again, my only concerns about the hornet is that it's an old bike and parts wear and tear. I remember I used to tinker around with old cars and was always replacing something.

I guess I should take the new 2011 CBR250 for a spin and see how it feels.

All the best,

Matt.

Matt. the Hornet would not help your self control. they go bloody fast. especially acceleration. if that what you want then you can do that on the 2011 cbr250. reckon on a top speed that you want on the bike then change the sprocket/ sprockets to get the acceleration you want..then when you go on trips off island its easy enough to change back to original.

i'm sure Dave Boo will find this thread soon and do the calculation for you ..lol

If you go new.. Let me know if the Hornets passed on.. I might well take a chance on one.

Depends on many variables, not least you passing on it.. But I was looking at cutting up a GB250 clubman into a cafe but a 250 hornet would piss on that idea.

If you sold your Ninja 650R because it was too fast, the the Hornet is probably not the bike for you... The CBR 250 single will be much more tame.

I'd love to get my grubby paws on a good condition Hornet 250! It'll blow the pants off pretty much any other 4-stroke 250 around and if well maintained those Hondas run forever.

I'm going to echo what the two others said; for the type of riding that you said you want to do, go with the 2011. Least ways you get a warranty!

That actually contradicts what my heart is screaming though; the CBR250RR and Hornet were sold while I was in high school (last model year was my sophmore). I found some clips of them on the intraweb and immediately fell in love. That cam gear (no chain!) whine just put a tickle in my pickle. A rev limit of ~16 000 RPM and all that is just....wow.

I've actually thought about getting one; I thought that the newest one you could get was at least 14 years old...it appears that I was wrong!

Dave, you've just sold me on the hornet. Like I said, the noise it makes is amazing. A single cylinder just can't compare to that.

This is one of the things I didn't like about my ER6-F - it didn't have that 4-cylinder sports bike sound. My neighbour has a CB400 V-Tec and every time it goes by my house the exhaust note gives me a :D

Matt.

My personal choice would be the hornet ...maybe the logical choice in terms of resale and all should be the CBR, but riding bikes ,to me, is about passion and personal choice will over-rule the logic :rolleyes:

mbox

Dave, you've just sold me on the hornet. Like I said, the noise it makes is amazing. A single cylinder just can't compare to that.

This is one of the things I didn't like about my ER6-F - it didn't have that 4-cylinder sports bike sound. My neighbour has a CB400 V-Tec and every time it goes by my house the exhaust note gives me a :D

Matt.

Post pics..

Its not a orange / copper one is it ??

Matt.

Same as me, I was so close to buying an ER6n but after looking at (hearing) various exhausts on YouTube I just didn't like the sound of any of them. That was one of a handful of reasons I never bought one but in truth it was a fairly major factor as the sound of the inline 4's once you get them screaming is a major part of the enjoyment for me, hence I bought the GSXR.

I've made the mistake of saying "I'll get used to it" etc. to try and make my head rule my heart when buying bikes (and cars) so many times and I always end up selling the sensible one to buy what I wanted in the first place. So just save yourself the hassle and buy the Hornet, awesome little bikes.

As long as it's not your sole mode of transport, it's no big deal if it needs a bit of TLC now and again.

I've looked at two hornets here on Samui. A silver/red one which the guy wants 100,000 for. In my opinion it looks terrible. Silver with red wheels and red parts. The guy has put a million add-ons on to it as well. It's only had one owner and mechanically it's sound, but it needs a lot of work, i.e. a complete re-paint in my opinion and it also needs front and rear tyres, etc.

The other hornet I've looked it is my friends, it's black and in excellent condition. I'm actually going to pick it up today! I'll post some pictures when I have it. I can't wait.

I took it for a test drive yesterday and it sounds awesome.

Matt.

Congrats on the sweet new bike, looking forward to pictures.

What was it 'drive like a idiot on the Ninja', hehehe. If the hornet is a naked CBR250rr good luck (really). In the rookies there was a gal, with twenty years racing bikes gotta mention plus in all of that she raced with the boys, that had a CBR250rr nicely kitted. In the hills she owned anybody or any bike - think she had a busa for grocery shopping. She was kinda of a legend to many passing through, yet not loudly talk about :lol: . After a couple of years she had a bad crash, as I heard she put a knee down in every corner :( .

Edited by Fishenough

I'm just after a sweet looking, nice sounding bike and I've found it. I'll post some pictures in the next few days. Thinking about mods for it already... (CBR954RR tail light for starters...)

What's with the talk about crashing? I'm not looking to own anyone on a bike, I've had too many friends die here.

Matt.

Good purchase. Looks lovely. :) Another big advantage of the little 250cc four cylinders is that you can actually get into the high rpms without having too much crazy speed. On the cbr1000rr, the max speed in first gear is over 100 miles per hour. You just can't really enjoy getting into the higher rpms because you need to be going so frickin' fast to do it.

• 6 months later...

Hello

I live in BKK.

and used to ride Hornet 250 , The little best bike.

But , It is rarely hard to find real license plate with original green book, what I can find is only COVER green book and Invoice.

I'm sure If a good condition HORNET Will be the best in 250 class forever. ( Your loely hornet has been repaint in SF4 style right??