Buy a condo to Airbnb - is it really profitable?

First of all. Don't need to tell me that Airbnb is technically illegal in Thailand! I kinda know that.

I wonder if it's really that profitable to buy a condo in Thailand to Airbnb it, considering the current property prices. The ROI seems not to be very high. There are plenty of Airbnbs for 1000 baht or under, which makes it hard to make a real profit. Thailand is known for it's cheap accommodations, and the only way to make good money here is to aim at a higher-end segment. But again, what would be ROI for a higher-end condo? In my opinion, there are much better options around the world (or even within South East Asia) to invest in the Airbnb business. For example, Vietnam, where Airbnb short-term rentals are more expensive than in Thailand, while property prices may be lower.

Edited by JoseThailand
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Like what?

yeah, I would like to know that too... my wife has done great w/buying farm land - - but.. no cash flow - the family farms it - but but but

I went to look at a house to possibly purchase - there were Air bnb customers there... it was a hot day - doors were wide open and a/c on full blast - the electric billl must have been enormous... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I can think of an infinite number of safer, more profitable investments than an AirBnB in Thailand......seriously....don't do it.

Rental business has always been one of the "safest". The only thing is to find properties with good ROI.

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Foxx said:

In Thailand short term Airbnb rentals are illegal.  There could be a crackdown, or you could be dobbed in to the police by a disgruntled neighbour.  Is it work the risk?

Anyone got contact details for those I can contact regarding illegal Airbnb condo  rentals?

Over saturated market. You would need to keep lowering price as your neighbors undercut to where there is little profit or even near break even. Many will rent near breakeven or even at a loss to get customers. They have a map on the app, everyone near you shows up on the map.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

And screw the people who own and rent in the other units, right? The ones who make the place their home and not a hotel. Dudes like you who ruin condo buildings, glad it is illegal over here. 

That would depend on the complex and rules of.   Some may allow shorter term rentals within the law, and condo rules.

Other's strictly against the rules.  Live with your choices.

A tourist or few, may be better neighbors than the owner being there year round.

1 hour ago, JoseThailand said:

First of all. Don't need to tell me that Airbnb is technically illegal in Thailand! I kinda know that.

I wonder if it's really that profitable to buy a condo in Thailand to Airbnb it, considering the current property prices. The ROI seems not to be very high. There are plenty of Airbnbs for 1000 baht or under, which makes it hard to make a real profit. Thailand is known for it's cheap accommodations, and the only way to make good money here is to aim at a higher-end segment. But again, what would be ROI for a higher-end condo? In my opinion, there are much better options around the world (or even within South East Asia) to invest in the Airbnb business. For example, Vietnam, where Airbnb short-term rentals are more expensive than in Thailand, while property prices may be lower.

Better to buy a condo (or townhouse, if possible) within walking distance, or shuttle service to a university.   Not sure about monthly profit, but if bought outright or good financing, you get a free living unit in 10-15-20 years.

Always a shortage of accommodations near uni s here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Better to buy a condo (or townhouse, if possible) within walking distance, or shuttle service to a university.   Not sure about monthly profit, but if bought outright or good financing, you get a free living unit in 10-15-20 years.

Always a shortage of accommodations near uni s here.

Poor students cannot pay a lot anyway

1 hour ago, JoseThailand said:

I'm not even talking about this. I'm talking only about the financial aspects. Maybe it's not even worth it even from the financial perspective.

As for the "illegality", there is an obvious solution. Make a 1-month contract with every guest with a clause allowing early cancellation.

Too many uncertainties, as you hope to have many guests and most likely for short stays, the chance that somebody wrecks the place will get higher. How will you recoup these costs as they could be far away already.

• Like 1

My wife bought a couple of cheap 'Thai style' condos about 10-12 years ago. Rented out to locals. She's had to give them a lick of paint and few minor repairs but no major problems and had her money back already.

About 7 years ago she became part owner of a small hotel in the UK. I expected it to be a financial disaster but against all the odds it generates some serious money. I think a lot more that a similar venture in Thailand could deliver.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

I'm living in hell right now. In my moo ban 17 yrs they knocked down the old house next door to us and built a 12 mil 5 br pool villa. Its listed on Booking.com for about 11-12k/night. A new gang arrives about twice a week are mostly single guys.The pool parties usually start anytime between 1am and 4am. The Chinese owners have made it legal via a the Thai lady manager of the mooban.(proxy)Not a thing we can do.I'm surprised none of the neighbours have complained.

I curse anyone who knowingly does that.

I am a bit surprised if neighbours are Thai as the Thais are used to sorting things out where the law won't protect them.

We had someone rent a ground floor restaurant to Africans who then turned it into an all night drinking den for lower Sukhumvit Africans. They apparently stood by the lifts late at night and propositioned any female residents returning home. I get the impression she was told break the lease or things are going to get very nasty.

• Like 1

Just now, JBChiangRai said:

The UK tax authorities have forced AirBnB to provide all the data of rentals in electronic format to them so they can retrospectively claim their share along with penalties.

Anyone who doesn't think the Thai tax authorities will do that in the future is sadly mistaken.

https://www.thp.co.uk/airbnb-tax-crackdown/

Landlords not declaring the rental revenue to the RD is a vulnerability. This is the usual reason for non filing of TM30. You would have to be sure but if there is sufficient evidence such as some certainty they are not filing TM30 then a "concerned Citizen" letter in good Thai to the RD might help.

• Haha 1